SilentSoldier

Oct 27, 2017
that was toy story 3 and happened when disney didn't even own pixar yet.
Which makes it even more absurd that they would respect Tim Burton's request to not make a sequel, when they threatened to release a sequel to a property they didn't own yet. Truth be told, I didn't even know Nightmare Before Christmas was a Disney property til I played Kingdom Hearts.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Just saw the original 1989 animation again last night & still as charming as I remembered it.

Somehow it slipped my mind all these years that classic Disney princesses in that era were drawn beautifully, I had crushes with Belle, Aurora, Cinderella, etc, back when as a kid, and looking at The Little Mermaid (1989) again, I also remember how I also have crush on Ariel.

tumblr_oye7e3PVKN1wzypxlo1_500.gif

Blairbat

Oct 29, 2017
Sacramento, California
I wish they would go back to making 2d animated films. Just not feeling these live action movies. I've tried so many times.
Like what if this was a 2d animated remake with hand painted backgrounds and beautifully hand drawn animations. That would be just wonderful.

Rated-G

Oct 29, 2017
Seems unlike Disney. I remember them threatening to make Toy Story 4 without Pixar or something like that. Or was that a rumor

Pretty sure that was both Toy Story 2 and 3. Disney originally intended 2 to be a direct to video thing but upgraded it to a theatrical release. Pixar saw a work in progress at some point and were extremely disappointed with the quality and chose to redo it themselves.

And then with 3, it was before Disney bought Pixar, but still owned the Toy Story characters, and were going to make it through a new studio, Circle 7 Animation. It went from being a murder mystery whodunit set with Andy staying at his grandmas to a movie about Buzz malfunctioning and getting shipped to Taiwan for a recall where he meets some of the other toys in the line of Space Rangers, including a sort of cat that was sort of the prototype for Sox in Lightyear.

But then Disney bought Pixar and shut down Circle 7, and cancelled the movie. But Pixar ended up revisiting the idea intending to not use anything from the old versions wanting to make a sequel that wasn't in any way influenced by the previous scripts.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
This is beautiful. A big trend going around on tiktok is people getting reactions of the trailer from black children. It's adorable and shows how much of a difference this stuff can make for people.

Last edited:

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Finally decided to watch it today and holy shit, Bailey is coming for Benson's crown on that song. If nothing else, this isn't going to fail based on her vocals.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Finally decided to watch it today and holy shit, Bailey is coming for Benson's crown on that song. If nothing else, this isn't going to fail based on her vocals.

It'll fit right in with the rest of my Disney playlists lol. Imo top 3 Disney musics is: Hunchback, Little Mermaid, and Pocahontas. Super stressed about the movie though, and not due to its own merits, but because of the previous "remakes"... The original also has a really weird story... Really curious how they adapt that to modern sentiments. My fan cast for years has been Kathy Bates for Ursulla lol

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It'll fit right in with the rest of my Disney playlists lol. Imo top 3 Disney musics is: Hunchback, Little Mermaid, and Pocahontas. Super stressed about the movie though, and not due to its own merits, but because of the previous "remakes"... The original also has a really weird story... Really curious how they adapt that to modern sentiments. My fan cast for years has been Kathy Bates for Ursulla lol
I am extremely cautious for the overall film after how fucking underwhelming Lion King was. On top of that, Little Mermaid wasn't really big in my Disney repertoire so I didn't watch it a lot; I know I watched Rescuers Down Under far more haha. So I went into this trailer with very tempered expectations.

Then Bailey's singing caught me off guard. It's gorgeous. I then found an interview with her to hear her just speak. She sounds excessively close to Benson but nonetheless makes the song her own. I really can't wait to hear the whole thing to just compare the two versions, and overall they could not have made a better casting choice. So now it's like "Well shit, now I have to show up in the theater just to support her."

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Her voice is great, the songs and story are timeless, but I fear Disney will make a lot of unnecessary changes from the original, like they did to Aladdin.

I'm still gonna see it, though.

Yeah - I hated all the changes that they made in Aladdin

Lowering my expectations on this one and will still check it out

Gonna be hard to top the original animated film

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
I'm kinda digging the art direction of this (but I also liked Lion King so I'm filth)... I feel like we got the animated one for more colorful shit. Going to have to see the whole thing to determine how they use color, but it being bland kind of matches the tone of her journey thooo? She doesn't WANT to be there. I'm sure by the end it'll be a wonderland?

Also hope Disney gave her massive support with the shit she's probably getting, but I doubt it... they like to just throw people to the fire.

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
If the ocean's color changes distinctly with Ariel's mood/state of mind, then I'll allow it. Like, it should look even more desolate than usual after Triton destroys her stuff.

Royalan

Not actually the youngest mod — AP Fact Check
Oct 24, 2017
If the ocean's color changes distinctly with Ariel's mood/state of mind, then I'll allow it. Like, it should look even more desolate than usual after Triton destroys her stuff.

Ugh, I already know I'm going to cry at that scene.

What a terribly wonderful bit of animation. Perfectly captured the devastation of a child and the heartbreak of a parent who thinks they're doing the right thing.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
I am just so eh at these live action remakes, but damn, that is a strong quick impression of Halle Bailey. She looks and sounds fantastic.

Just thinking about it now, because I even seen friends who think that Ariel and other classic characters should stay being white, and that there should be more original work with PoC instead. And of course yes to the latter either way, but damn, these fairy tales have plenty of versions as it is. It's great seeing kids reacting happily to a Ariel (and hopefully soon Peter Pan) that looks more like them.

Oct 27, 2017
The water effect looks...weird. Like she doesn't look underwater. I dunno what it should look like, but I know Aquaman got it right. Other than that...looks like another live action Disney movie.

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I might be rounding down slightly but zero white kids have been moved by a trailer for a show/movie bc a white MC being featured was like them and basically zero will/ would complain if the MC weren't white (aka this Ariel) This is beautiful.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

None of my white cousins or nieces would have given a shit if it were another white Ariel. They would just be like "okay hope it don't suck".

This actually MEANS something to these kids. We need to protect that.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't liked a single live action remake anywhere near as much as the animated originals. Down the line if I feel like a rewatch I always go for the animated versions. I'll still check this out on D+ though.

Oct 28, 2017
You know what I don't even have any pessimism for this. I'm just excited. Really excited. Trailer was beautiful and Ariel's voice is absolutely perfect.

Worried about it not being as good as the original? No. It doesn't have to be as the original. It just needs to be a good time and make me feel. The trailer has already made me feel as has seeing the leaked Part of Your World section in full.

Last edited:

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Just saw the original 1989 animation again last night & still as charming as I remembered it.

Somehow it slipped my mind all these years that classic Disney princesses in that era were drawn beautifully, I had crushes with Belle, Aurora, Cinderella, etc, back when as a kid, and looking at The Little Mermaid (1989) again, I also remember how I also have crush on Ariel.

tumblr_oye7e3PVKN1wzypxlo1_500.gif

Yeah, I saw it not long ago as well. It's still one of my favorites. Stellar animation as well. I also found that the film was paced super fast compared to my memory of 20 years ago, her human adventures went so fast, in my childs memory it took quite a while haha.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't notice on the first watch, but Flounder is in the video at around 50 seconds.
And he just looks like a fish. A real fish. Makes the Selkaths from KOTOR look cute by comparison.

And if he's getting the realism stick, then everybody is.
Under the Sea is going to scar people.
Not a good choice.

god why won't they learn

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
On the one hand, I don't want to support Disney anymore because I dislike most of their live-action remakes, and more importantly because of their involvement with the "Don't say gay" bill (and I'm reading they cut LGBTQ+ scenes from Turning Red apparently, need to look into that).

On the other hand, I want to support them for picking Halle Bailey and to give a mental middle finger to all those racists out there.

(*sigh*)

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
Yeah, I saw it not long ago as well. It's still one of my favorites. Stellar animation as well. I also found that the film was paced super fast compared to my memory of 20 years ago, her human adventures went so fast, in my childs memory it took quite a while haha.
Yeah, that's probably one of the more notable things upon rewatching the film. The land portion of the film is pretty fast. I generally do not like the remakes artificially extending things, but some more time on the surface to give Ariel and Eric's relationship some breathing room wouldn't hurt. Even just a bit more focus on the town square dancing scene that we saw in the happy times montage could work.

We're all just assuming Frank Welker as Max (if Max is even in this movie) will be our prerequisite OG voice reprisal, right?

Last edited:

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
Seeking commiseration, I have stumbled upon a group of actual idiots that have an issue with The Little Mermaid being changed, and citing her red hair as proof that it is forced wokeness, and even whitewashing, as if white people own red hair. I didn't know people like this were actually real and I don't know how to handle it other than to walk away and come here to vent

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
Seeking commiseration, I have stumbled upon a group of actual idiots that have an issue with The Little Mermaid being changed, and citing her red hair as proof that it is forced wokeness, and even whitewashing, as if white people own red hair. I didn't know people like this were actually real and I don't know how to handle it other than to walk away and come here to vent
Fix a cup of tea and go watch the happy reaction videos.

Those reactions have me teary eyed.

Why would anyone want to to destroy that?
You know exactly why.

Disney, I need you to not mess this up. If the movie fails commercially and/or critically, it won't be Halle Bailey's fault, but everyone will say it's her fault. Certain folks are going to say such things regardless of how the movie turns out, but evaporate as much of their ammo as you can and make a good movie.

Aug 15, 2022
those reactions are a great raw reminder of perspective for those of us (myself) who aren't black. representation and identity matter. as a fairly new father my eyes teared up heavy at the pureness

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
i think i could see fathoms below, the intro-to-the-mermaids song (whatever that was), and under the sea being cut.

fathoms below is sort of an extended establishing shot that introduces the human characters. it's somewhat important so that we get an idea of the time period and where most of the movie's gonna be, but this might get taken out for something else.

the song with the mermaid sisters is so forgettable that i can see it just being replaced out of virtue of no one caring for it.

under the sea is a little iffy. obviously the song is a big deal, but it's also cartoony in a way this movie might not be, so it would get cut on virtue of that.

part of your world fits with the style they're going for (and obviously it's the centerpiece of this trailer). poor unfortunate souls is just about as important in establishing character motivation, so that probably stays as it can still match the tone for this version (and it's not a super hard song to sing).

the chef killing sebastian song probably gets cut. that thing is essentially filler anyway.

kiss the girl is a really good song but it is 1000% understandable why it would get removed or replaced with something else.

so it's pretty easy to see where new music would slot in. especially if some of the moments surround part of your world and poor unfortunate souls get reworked.

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
The water effect looks...weird. Like she doesn't look underwater. I dunno what it should look like, but I know Aquaman got it right. Other than that...looks like another live action Disney movie.

After rewatching some Aquaman scenes on Youtube, for me It's because the water is too still and sterile. Like, there's no air bubbles, almost no tiny particles floating in the water (marine snow), and when Ariel is swimming around, the waves generated by her fin should've distorted the water and kicked up some sand and debris. But knowing how VFX-heavy trailers work, I hope the effects are still being improved till the final cut.