• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

Some screencaps, click to enlarge. Dolphin version uses HD mod pack.

rFe3BUG.png
qO8y7Hy.png

1AxnRWU.png
7PGnKBE.png

s2eZNYX.png
EUNYDzB.png

nPbCFOL.png
ojKH2FZ.png

I don't know what's going on in the last pic. They completely changed the tone of the encounter.

Last edited:

HotStunt

Oct 27, 2017
That's impressive. They must have put a ton of effort into getting the Switch version to look like that.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
Dolphin actually messes up the visual style a little bit for some reason, or is that actually a crappy texture pack?

Those last two shots are completely different scenes by the way. The OP not being able to tell that tells me they haven't even played the game and are just trying to get a reaction.

Last edited:

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
Bar some of the textures it looks so much better than switch version.
And Dolphin offers remapping of the motion controls onto a regular controller, just a pity my MacBook Pro is too weak to run smoothly in 4K.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can see what appears to be some sharper textures in the background of the Zelda closeup (the bird carvings). Though it overall seems like a bit more washed out, hopefully just a trailer issue.

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (3 days): Console wars, trolling, history of infractions for similar
Amazing effort. Now we know why we are going to pay 10 dollar more than 10 years ago. What an upgrade. Nintendo am gods!

PockyWitch

Oct 27, 2017
From what I can tell, that dolphin version is running a texture pack, so this isn't really a fair comparison I would say.

Shaoran Hyku

Aug 6, 2020
Seriously, why people make these videos comparing an emulated game with custom textures vs a youtube feed video.
What am I asking, they only want to generate hate

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Are these direct feed screenshots of the Switch version, or it is images from the trailer?
Not a fair comparison, even without the custom textures used in those dolphin shots.

Would it actually be a surprise to anyone that a high spec computer could emulate a Wii game to a better visual quality than the Switch? The Switch isn't exactly a powerhouse. It's smaller than my hard drive.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The emulated version looks better but someone mentioned it's running a texture pack. Can't they just put the texture pack in the Switch version too?

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah those dolphin shots are using mods or something, looks terrible.

Saturation does not equal better graphics.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Those custom textures look awful, they also seem to mess up saturation. I'd be more interested in a comparison between the unmodded Wii game (on Dolphin) and the remaster.

The biggest change seems to be that to my knowledge there's no 60FPS patch for Skyward on Dolphin.

Stairmaster_

Jan 27, 2019
The texture pack on the Dolphin version looks like garbage, honestly. Look at that Goddess Statue, and Skyloft in general. It just looks...bleh

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Alright, thanks for the explanation about the last pic. I never actually played the game to know that.

Gotta call some bullshit here, but the dolphin shots are using a custom hi-res texture pack, not the games vanilla textures.

An actual vanilla shot looks pretty close to the switch version:
Yes, it uses a HD mod pack, nobody is saying it's vanilla. I'll update the title and OP if needed.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
I mean, you could run the Dolphin version at 8k. Of course it will look better.

The value of the Switch version is its availability on Switch, plus the wonderful absence of motion controls.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Im mixed. The comparison is not fair (its with a texture pack)...on the other hand, SOME texture work woul dhave been needed to be honest, so thats on nintndo to not do that. The modded emulated one is to clear in some places, while the switch one is kinda to desaturated and fogged in others.
Some of the reworked textures are way to detailes for the artstyle.

Honestly, both of those dont do the potential of the games artstyle justice.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
Yes, Nintendo can't do that for a fullprice port. They are too small for such an upgrade!

The textures from that pack are awful and completely ruin the look of the game.

The art style of SS would be completely ruined with new textures. It's an art style which has always just needed HD resolutions to shine.

Nintendo actually put a lot of work into the visuals of WW HD and got a ton of crap for not leaving the visuals as they were.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Man I wish the Switch remaster had some higher quality textures, that's some Oblivion looking shit right there.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
The textures from that pack are awful and completely ruin the look of the game.

The art style of SS would be completely ruined with new textures. It's an art style which has always just needed HD resolutions to shine.

Nintendo actually put a lot of work into the visuals of WW HD and got a ton of crap for not leaving the visuals as they were.
Of course you can update the textures without ruining the look. The fans who did that HD texture pack just didn't a particularly good job at capturing (and uhm... understanding, really) it. It's hard to blame them for that considering it's free, though.

Wind Waker didn't get crap because of updated textures, but because they replaced the lighting with something that made it look more like a CG movie than a cartoon. That was a deliberate decision and not a necessary consequence of updating the visuals (and all things considered reception was still largely positive). No one complained that Tantalus significantly touched up Twilight Princess' textures.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
The beauty of emulation is that you can use texture packs if you want to -- lord knows fans have long since put in more work for Nintendo rereleases than the company themselves anyway.

OP, you should leave these unlabeled next time you make a similar thread.

Oct 25, 2017
i truly don't understand the fascination people have with over saturation and removing the DOF from skyward sword.

i'm not a huge fan of HD texture mod packs that add a bunch of extra detail to textures that don't call for it -- I think the approach in WWHD for their texture rework was more or less spot on, for example, but this video is... gaudy, for lack of a better word

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
Of course you can update the textures without ruining the look. The fans who did that HD texture pack just didn't a particularly good job at capturing (and uhm... understanding, really) it. It's hard to blame them for that considering it's free, though.

Wind Waker didn't get crap because of updated textures, but because they replaced the lighting with something that made it look more like a CG movie than a cartoon. That was a deliberate decision and not a necessary consequence of updating the visuals (and all things considered reception was still largely positive). No one complained that Tantalus significantly touched up Twilight Princess' textures.

TP has a more gritty look though and the original textures were a mess because of it.

SS purposely uses simpler textures to give the look of a painting. They don't need detail to be added since it would completely change the look of the game.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Lighting system of Wind Waker HD was mainly an issue of particular spots where the new lighting failed, especially in dark areas like dungeons or lighting coming from other directions like form lava. I think it's something they could fix if they re-release it. After all, it was the test game for BotW and they seemed to resolve all those issues in that.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
I wish we had a comparison with the OG textures at 1080p just to see if Nintendo really didn't touch them

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Haha this is the second inaccurate comparison thread we've had on this game. And I'm saying this as someone who loves the original with no interest in buying the port

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
At least it isn't on the level of that infamously terrible HL2 cinematic mod that threw in horribly mismatched and unoptimised textures along with gratuitously sexualised female character models.
b5marm0qohkz.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
I recall some mention of this game's art direction at the time.

I'm not a expert by any means but the "painterly" style was the original intent, and then people ran with the idea it was simply quasi-cel shading manage the ageing Wii hardware at the time right?

I swear I read this somewhere between reveal announcement and the actual release.

Compare all you want.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That texture pack looks like they slapped a sharpening filter on the game, in a bad way. I'm all for modders taking artistic license but this is an example of "more detail doesn't mean better" IMO.

Excited to play the Switch version, which I expect to be practically identical to vanilla SS on Dolphin. And I'm fine with that cuz most of the time it's a pretty-ass game as it is.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Have on mind that Switch version could be further improved like we saw before with plenty of Nintendo games (that later builds and launch games looks better than 1st showing).

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
It might be because I'm on my phone (or I just have shit taste) but the Switch version looks way better

Status
Not open for further replies.