YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
Trying to get a sense of how bottom tier this is. Looks clear cut this is a huge fail compared to OOT, but is it as competent as Shadow Man or Immortals: Fenyx Rising? I may have to boycott this.

It's a good game. The dungeons are mostly excellent and are top tier in class. Only one or two other Zelda games have dungeons this good.

The game does fall short in other areas though. There are some collectathons which I didn't enjoy at all. Two different boss battles are repeated three times each. Outside of the main town, there isn't really much of interest in the sky world. The pacing is a little slow in the middle and the story can drag a little bit until you get 2-3 dungeons out of the way.

I would add that the story is pretty good overall and in terms of its core narrative I'd have it 2nd only to Wind Waker though (Majora's Mask has the best characters and side stories). The soundtrack is also nice as well. In terms of combat I found the original motion controls got me really invested in the one on one battles far more than buttons ever did until that point.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's not just that, they'd need to render a nighttime version of every outdoor area along the surface, too. Since they never designed anything in those areas to happen at night, it would be wasted resources to work on something like that.
Yeah, I know. And hell I already dont like revisiting the surface as many times as you do, they probably would have made some bullshit collectathon or whatever filler that only happens at night in every area too lol.

Though I suppose they could just close the entrances to the surfaces at night, but that would still feel really arbitrary.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Yeah, I know. And hell I already dont like revisiting the surface as many times as you do, they probably would have made some bullshit collectathon or whatever filler that only happens at night in every area too lol.

Though I suppose they could just close the entrances to the surfaces at night, but that would still feel really arbitrary.
They did include a night time equivalent to the surface areas, the sanctuary BS with the silent world or whatever.
Yeah we should count our blessings that they didn't inclde night time for the surface.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
If you know about things that happen then don't say it's pointless because nothing happens?
Don't be so obtuse, my point is nothing interesting happens.
if you have an example of a large swath of content hidding in the night of Skyloft, might as well share it instead of being vague about how there's loads of shit happening when it's literally the worst iteration of the chain quest of the Zelda formula.

And really it's not a whole lot too, the game wouldn't lose anything worthwhile by dropping night of skyloft entirely.

Oct 25, 2017
There's a Gekko code to activate a day cycle in skyloft. They couldn't get it to loop though, so it only goes to night. Always hoped they would figure it out, but I just checked and it hasn't been updated.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
There's a Gekko code to activate a day cycle in skyloft. They couldn't get it to loop though, so it only goes to night. Always hoped they would figure it out, but I just checked and it hasn't been updated.
It's pretty clear why it's not in Skyward Sword, you would have to basically redesign the game.
If there's no dynamic lighting system, it needs to be added and they would have to make sure that the environments look good at all time (or design them as such) and maybe include gameplay that's relevant to day/night and even have time sensitive events.
It's kinda the same reasoning why the sky is so barren and you can't literally fly over Hyrule, it's a lot of fucking work they probably didn't have time to do.
They did spend a hell of a lot of time making sure the controls worked and were compelling.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Don't be so obtuse, my point is nothing interesting happens.
if you have an example of a large swath of content hidding in the night of Skyloft, might as well share it instead of being vague about how there's loads of shit happening when it's literally the worst iteration of the chain quest of the Zelda formula.

And really it's not a whole lot too, the game wouldn't lose anything worthwhile by dropping night of skyloft entirely.
I don't know how gratitude crystals are a "chain quest", assuming you mean trading quest. They're nothing alike. The sidequests are all different, the quests to help people you might give a shit about, the central NPC is an interesting character, you're given multiple varying rewards, and the resolution of the quest actually affects the world in a way that only makes sense if the game has a day/night cycle. There are a few other things you can do at night off the top of my head, like trading bugs to one of Groose's henchmen or seeing another side of NPCs you normally can't, but yeah, the sidequests involving gratitude crystals are the main sidequests in the game and it's pretty weird that you apparently even think Majora's Mask's trading quest of Moon Pearl -> Town Deed -> Swamp Deed -> Mountain Deed -> Ocean Deed -> Canyon Deed is better, but whatever.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I don't know how gratitude crystals are a "chain quest", assuming you mean trading quest. They're nothing alike. The sidequests are all different, the quests to help people you might give a shit about, the central NPC is an interesting character, you're given multiple varying rewards, and the resolution of the quest actually affects the world in a way that only makes sense if the game has a day/night cycle. There are a few other things you can do at night off the top of my head, like trading bugs to one of Groose's henchmen or seeing another side of NPCs you normally can't, but yeah, the sidequests involving gratitude crystals are the main sidequests in the game and it's pretty weird that you apparently even think Majora's Mask's trading quest of Moon Pearl -> Town Deed -> Swamp Deed -> Mountain Deed -> Ocean Deed -> Canyon Deed is better, but whatever.
What I refer to chain quest is basically THAT 1 quest you can only do sequentially that got all the focus on development and really is about doing stuffs about unrelated npcs all over the area.
Even if that quest was trash in Majora's Mask, you have so much shit to do outside the main quest that it wouldn't affect the overall quality of the areas.
The gratitude quests are not satisfying, it's running basic errands.
The way they're structured means that they're small content you're doing between each main event of the main quest.

The worst part being that they're like 80% of the side content of the game so if they're not satisfying then side content for the game is trash.
Literally the gear upgrade is more interesting side content and way more fun to spend time with the game.

The bug trading is not even a quest , it's a protracted way to sell shit you don't need.
Your only reward is cash (and not even that much).
You can see a npc you wouldn't see otherwise? Stop the press that's something worth pointing about!
Does that npc do anything interesting?

Like you're not making a good point that there's anything worthwhile in the night of Skyloft.
They would have been better served cutting that entirely and spreading everything that's there in the rest of the game....or even add an island or 2 in the empty sky.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
there never was any "waggle" in the game.
Forgive my ignorance. I read the Wikipedia page and it certainly read as if there was forced motion control between the nunchuck and wiimote. Haven't watched the video. I kind of feel bad at how disinterested I am with this game, and always have been. I still call myself a Zelda fan, but this game is certainly an exception.

free camera control confirmed

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018

Well there it is, free camera movement confirmed with the R stick.

I have no clue what the L+R stick detail entails, but I guess it's for the item wheel?
Guess I'll wait for the english tweet for confirmation.

Edit: yeah, it's most certainly for switching between sword and normal movement when in button mode.

Last edited:

Barrow Roll

Oct 25, 2017

Well there it is, free camera movement confirmed with the R stick.

I have no clue what the L+R stick detail entails, but I guess it's for the item wheel?
Guess I'll wait for the english tweet for confirmation.

Probably hold L + move the right stick to move the camera in button only mode. That way you're not swinging your sword.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Forgive my ignorance. I read the Wikipedia page and it certainly read as if there was forced motion control between the nunchuck and wiimote. Haven't watched the video. I kind of feel bad at how disinterested I am with this game, and always have been. I still call myself a Zelda fan, but this game is certainly an exception.
Your loss lol.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
I know it's a big part of the original game and maybe the combat would be ridiculously easy without it, but this whole "L button plus the stick" thing for the camera is really making me wish they just adjusted the controls for handheld mode so you could hit a button to attack like any other Zelda game. Or at least make it an option. I don't think anybody is really all that excited about the stick controlling the sword, I think I'd be much more sold on this if they had just changed it to control similarly to BOTW while adjusting the issues that would come with that.

If I do pick this up, I'd probably rather play with motion controls, since the handheld experience seems so weird. I'm usually a 90% handheld Switch user, but this is one where I'd probably just dock it.

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
Button only controls are an option for the HD version.

I know it's a big part of the original game and maybe the combat would be ridiculously easy without it, but this whole "L button plus the stick" thing for the camera is really making me wish they just adjusted the controls for handheld mode so you could hit a button to attack like any other Zelda game. Or at least make it an option. I don't think anybody is really all that excited about the stick controlling the sword, I think I'd be much more sold on this if they had just changed it to control similarly to BOTW while adjusting the issues that would come with that.

If I do pick this up, I'd probably rather play with motion controls, since the handheld experience seems so weird. I'm usually a 90% handheld Switch user, but this is one where I'd probably just dock.
I don't think it's just a case of game balance. Combat encounters are designed around the sword movement, so I think having Link swing his sword by pressing a button fundamentally wouldn't work without essentially rebuilding the game's combat system on the enemies' side of things as well.

As an example, I want to say Lizalfos in Skyward Sword are generally always guarding themselves, but the position they guard and the position that's vulnerable changes. With the current combat, you damage a Lizalfos by swiping at their vulnerable spot. If Link did a general sword slash with a button press, the Lizalfos encounter would likely have to be changed so that either they don't guard as often, or you can break their guard and make them vulnerable by mashing the button enough times to do a string of hits. These types of changes would need to be done for a large number of enemy types in the game, including a decent number of boss fights.

Last edited:

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

If I do pick this up, I'd probably rather play with motion controls, since the handheld experience seems so weird. I'm usually a 90% handheld Switch user, but this is one where I'd probably just dock it.
have you played the original before? you cannot do non-direction traditional sword swings in this game when every enemy is designed around directional sword swings or free movement of Link's arm (to disorient the eyes, for example).

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England

The entirety of the combat and several puzzles are designed around specific combat actions which could not be replicated with a button. It's much more in depth and tactical. For example a foe may leave a specific area of their body unguarded and you need to strike in such a way that you come in from an angle that will hit that exposed area.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
can anyone think of useful tips for first time players and rusty returners?

one thing that comes to mind is: do not get hung up on attacking the toes in the 2nd and 3rd Imprisoned fights. jumping down from up high is much better way to deal with them.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017

one thing that comes to mind is: do not get hung up on attacking the toes in the 2nd and 3rd Imprisoned fights. jumping down from up high is much better way to deal with them.
Good shout, it's crazy how much faster round 2 goes when you don't go toe hunting.

I'd add that you can hide the position/angling of your sword behind your shield when trying to get a hit in on enemies (and even a certain boss) that track your swords position to block

Joshbob1985

Jan 12, 2018

Play with motion controls.

The entire game was designed around them, they worked great in the original. I can't imagine the button only controls being good, nobody would design a game with that control scheme.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
As an example, I want to say Lizalfos in Skyward Sword are generally always guarding themselves, but the position they guard and the position that's vulnerable changes. With the current combat, you damage a Lizalfos by swiping at their vulnerable spot. If Link did a general sword slash with a button press, the Lizalfos encounter would likely have to be changed so that either they don't guard as often, or you can break their guard and make them vulnerable by mashing the button enough times to do a string of hits. These types of changes would need to be done for a large number of enemy types in the game, including a decent number of boss fights.
They could offer a convenience mode that puts sword movement on just a button and the game decides context senstive which slash would be best. Of course that would be (1) quite a bit of effort for the devs and (2) make the game easier. It is the only way I would play the game with button controls though.

Varjet

Oct 27, 2017
So Ocarina of Time is the only 3D Zelda that doesn't have a version with free camera control. Huh.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
Free camera control is great! Definitely sounds like a nice improvement over the original after all.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe they're just like really want to reiterate it's optional to make the game look less handholdy because that's another thing that's already in the original.

This just makes all the complaints I have seen people make over a decade just seem like complete bull shit then.

Glom

Feb 8, 2021
Just remember you'll need the groosenator to stun the thing in the later stages or it will shake you off.

And now there's a free camera, it'll be easier to judge the jump.

Glom

Feb 8, 2021
Another one is in Din's Silent Realm. The trek to the South is a bit reciprocal so leave a nice easy tear in case you need it for the trip back. But don't be afraid to get the one close to the gate. If you need to make a mad dash for such a tear, you're better off dashing straight for the gate.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
This just makes all the complaints I have seen people make over a decade just seem like complete bull shit then.
I still think there is truth to how handholdy the game is and how it feels like it doesn't respect your time or thinks you can't figure things out yourself. At the same time this clearly wasn't a problem with just SS but in some ways TP and plenty of other Wii era Nintendo games.

Like there was clearly a reason I only played and beat the original once. I remember feeling like the game was kinda a slog because of how often I was interrupted and couldn't skip past stuff. But as we have seen in this thread TP definitely interrupts you a shit ton as well.

So maybe the game still does hold your hand and interrupt you too much, though not as much as we made it seem in our heads. And maybe characters like Fi just weren't as interesting as Midna which makes getting interrupted far more annoying. Maybe by the time SS came out many of us were feeling some fatigue with Nintendo's approach to developing Wii games?

Regardless they have done things that will make this version vastly superior. Shortening tutorial dialogue, faster text speed (huge), the item description fix, etc.

I like a lot about Skyward Sword but there has to be a reason I came out at the end kinda negative on it. I'm hoping when I replay I come out feeling more positive and understanding what made me not like it as much.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
Hero mode was a bit different in SS than the other 3D Zeldas no? You carry over a bunch of stuff from the first save to the Hero save. They would have to retool it a bit to make it work from the start, which maybe they did, but so far we don't know.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe they're just like really want to reiterate it's optional to make the game look less handholdy because that's another thing that's already in the original.
Maybe they're running a social experiment. Tell people they're reducing the tutorials and making Fi less obtrusive when really the only changes they made were cutting a couple of lines of text from Professor Horell at the start and making text faster. When the game comes out people gush at all the changes that have been made that aren't actually changes cuz the tutorials were always optional, showing how much of the hate the game got was misinformed word of mouth.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Maybe they're running a social experiment. Tell people they're reducing the tutorials and making Fi less obtrusive when really the only changes they made were cutting a couple of lines of text from Professor Horell at the start and making text faster. When the game comes out people gush at all the changes that have been made that aren't actually changes cuz the tutorials were always optional, showing how much of the hate the game got was misinformed word of mouth.
Nintendo in big brain mode.