Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Here's some of the weird things I hope to see in the remake:

- Dr. Wright, the guy based on Sim City/Sims creator Will Wright, and his music from SNES Sim City
- The random "Go away!" hippo which was actually a censored scene
- The music that plays when you enter in your name as ZELDA
The many instances and iterations of Totaka's song, including this one when you input your name as Totakeke (only in Japanese version)
- The Anti-Kirby enemies

Man, that game was so weird, I love it so much. I bet like the reason why they went with that particular art style is because it is really a dream with all the weird elements in the game in the first place.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This thread feels like what I expected the reaction to Wind Waker back in the early 2000s would be.

I'm pretty glad this is getting remade.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly it is totally expected for people to be disliking a new artstyle for a new Zelda game. I'm pretty sure every Zelda game has been hated by fans for its artstyle upon reveal but everytime people eventually come to love it. It seems the Links Awakening remake is no exception to this rule and I fully expect everyone to change their minds when the game comes out. It's just a phase and it will pass.
I dunno, I thought the initial reception to both Twilight Princess and Breath of the Wild was fairly positive regarding the visuals.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Link's Awakening is one of my favorite games of all time.

What is the point of this versus a brand new game? This isn't a simple HD remaster, why can't we get a new game if they're already putting in this much effort?

Is this going to be based off of the original and not DX?

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Guys I can't imagine this being a 1:1 remake. They know if they are remaking a gameboy game from the early 90's they will have to add a change a bunch to make it worth the $60.

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
People are allowed to complain about the art style, they just need to take a good long look at this screenshot before they hit post:
I genuinely kinda prefer that tbh. It's not as overly glossy and round as this new one.

I'm not sure how true that is. They've billed this as a reimagining, not a direct remake.
Nothing they've shown so far hasn't been a literal tile-for-tile remake though. If this was a Link between worlds type game, they would have probably shown some more new stuff in the trailer.

ika

Oct 27, 2017
MAD, Spain
OMG this is beautiful... It's the kind of style I dreamed about for a "Zelda 5" game when Rareware started using the ACM technique in the SNES era.

Link's Awakening is not one of my favourite Zelda games but an enjoyable one so even if I'd prefer a Link to the Past remake with this treatment, I'll take this gladly when it comes out later this year :D

Now I wish more than ever a "Zelda 2D Dungeon Maker" with Zelda 1, Link to the past, Four Sword Adventures and Link's Awakening Remake themes.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly it is totally expected for people to be disliking a new artstyle for a new Zelda game. I'm pretty sure every Zelda game has been hated by fans for its artstyle upon reveal but everytime people eventually come to love it. It seems the Links Awakening remake is no exception to this rule and I fully expect everyone to change their minds when the game comes out. It's just a phase and it will pass.

Also this. Some hardcore Zelda fans are pretty predictable.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Ehhh... I've already played Link's Awakening. Would've much rather gotten a reimagining like ALBW, or of course a new game entirely.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
I think that for me, the whiplash comes from the anime movie they led with. It nails the very distinct look of the original Link's Awakening, it's what I would always have hoped a remake would look like. To switch from that to the actual graphics was such a shock.

This was very much how I felt. I was so ecstatic thinking they were going to do the look of the intro video as the art style and then I got hit with chibi which I am usually not a fan of. It'll grow on me. Still adore Link's Awakening.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
The transition from anime intro to actual gameplay was so jarring. I'm not a fan of how this looks currently, but it's a legendary Zelda game so I won't mind it come launch, hopefully.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Really curious about what additional content they have added. I'm sure there is some, just curious what it is.

Oniletter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's like they retconned a game that, if not 'mature', at least didn't speak down to its audience at the time. Link's Awakening was a genuine game not meant for extremely young kids, as this remake's artstyle and marketing make it clear that's who it's targeting. This artstyle and tone are just wrong.
It was a silly toy for children 26 years ago too. Just because your child brain imagined things to be more profound and mysterious doesn't make it so.
The new art is 100% in line with what the game was going for.

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
Guys I can't imagine this being a 1:1 remake. They know if they are remaking a gameboy game from the early 90's they will have to add a change a bunch to make it worth the $60.
I kind of have the same thought too. I expect at least a couple of Easter eggs or extra areas compared to the GB and GBC releases. They might have just showed a couple of areas that were 1:1, but the actual game might be like "Whoa, this is completely different."

Or it could be 1:1. And that would still be amazing. Because it's Link's Awakening.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the art style works specifically because it's LA. Any other Zelda game and I'd be skeptical of it, but LA is just so weird that it feels perfect.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
I don't know if I like the art style... In isolation it's fine, but the jump from the animated intro to what the game looks like is jarring. Imagine if had the same aesthetic as the intro...

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
I love the art style but HATE Link's model. I kind of think this is how the new Animal Crossing will look.

I'll admit I was kind of tricked and I thought it would have a cel-shaded anime like look when the anime was playing. All those wishes people have of a Zelda looking like the art had me hopeful for a second. Still a day 1 cop.