Joule

Nov 19, 2017
Despite being released today, The Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom is already playable on PC with high framerates thanks to one of the Nintendo Switch emulators available.

As showcased in a new video put together by reznoire, the latest entry in the series, and the first one to feature Princess Zelda as the main character, can run at above 120 frames per second via the the latest public version of the Ryujinx emulator that can be downloaded here. While reznoire used a power system powered by an i9-14900K CPU, RTX 4090, and 32 GB RAM), less powerful systems shouldn't have any trouble running the game at acceptable framerates, given how it's not among the most demanding Nintendo Switch games around.

View: https://youtu.be/Q9M0SAJGBUQ?si=quNMpL4QxyOHKsTV

Source: https://wccftech.com/zelda-echoes-of-wisdom-120-fps-pc/

Last edited:

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
I shouldn't have watched this, now I'll be thinking about how much smoother it could be when I eventually play

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
wow, I personally can't believe that better hardware can run games better than worse hardware

we need to get interpol on this

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
wow, I personally can't believe that better hardware can run games better than worse hardware

we need to get interpol on this
Not all Switch games can be run at arbitrary framerates without stuff breaking, most need mods and stuff still breaks, so this is a cool surprise actually

PennyPasta

Sep 3, 2020
Gamer County
For what it's worth, I was struggling getting it to run well at all on my (considerably much weaker) machine via Ryujinx. Ran wonderfully on Yuzu / Suyu (Almost a locked 60 frames on Steam Deck as well as on my desktop), but there were a number of really distracting visual glitches involving the rifts that were far too distracting for my liking. Think I'll stick to playing it on the Switch itself and pray for better performance on Switch 2.

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (3 days): Equating emulation with piracy
Good news for the people who bought the game before today.

Great news for the people buying it today.

Fantastic news for the people deciding to not even buy the game at all.

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
For what it's worth, I was struggling getting it to run well at all on my (considerably much weaker) machine via Ryujinx. Ran wonderfully on Yuzu / Suyu (Almost a locked 60 frames on Steam Deck as well as on my desktop), but there were a number of really distracting visual glitches involving the rifts that were far too distracting for my liking. Think I'll stick to playing it on the Switch itself and pray for better performance on Switch 2.
is the Suyu being developed at a good pace?

Kazer

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, exact reason I'd only play Switch games via emulation at this point. The console is shit.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
If the patent based lawsuit against Palword dev goes their way (probably) I can kinda see Nintendo just arguing that any emulation violates some patents of theirs and go ham on these kinds of projects. Given how flimsy and ill defined patent law is, it could prove a useful cudgel to SLAPP the shit out of anything that big gaming companies dont' like.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If the patent based lawsuit against Palword dev goes their way (probably) I can kinda see Nintendo just arguing that any emulation violates some patents of theirs and go ham on these kinds of projects. Given how flimsy and ill defined patent law is, it could prove a useful cudgel to SLAPP the shit out of anything that big gaming companies dont' like.
People come up with the craziest conspiracy theories...

Patent law is pretty straightforward, a ruling in one country will have no impact on rulings elsewhere, precedent plays no role in patent law, and Nintendo has no patents that could possibly be related anyway. If Nintendo could sue an emulator based off of patents they would have done so many years ago

ShineALight

Oct 27, 2017
That's pretty great performance. Wonder how that compares to the performance on Switch hardware. Guess I'll find out later today, the day of the game's release.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
yeah i know about vsync, been doing that for years... But now i'm told ryujinx doesn't have a fps cap? Even though it never went over 60 for me... what am i missing? I don't have anything that caps FPS and i play all my games at 120 fps outside ryujinx
Ryujinx has always been the better emulator idk, in a lot of games you just press tab and it goes over 60 yeah. Not all of them but a lot.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting ~90 fps on a much more modest setup (3080Ti + 12400). Never drops below 60. Disabling VSYNC is a must though for some reason. Remember, you can use frame generation on PC via Lossless Scaling too. As for mods, I don't think the game needs any if you're not on a UW monitor. Removing the DoF, for example, is a downgrade imo. Look at the first two screenshots here:
gamebanana.com

Remove Dof/Blur [The Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom] [Mods]

A The Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom (TLOZ:EOW) Mod in the Other/Misc category, submitted by Fl4sh_#9174

Dalamar86

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
What's notable is the game was made to run at an uncapped framerate which means it can easily scale to hardware. In most switch games game speed and logic are directly tied to frame rate and require mods that often introduce bugs to run at higher frames. Odds are it will be trivial for this game to be set to a 60fps frame cap on the Switch 2 assuming it can maintain that.