hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
So overall I'm quite torn. Is it 20 for both DLC or can you at least choose the second one only for 10? I'm not normally one for DLC but I am dying for another switch experience that isn't Xenoblade 2 because I'm nearly sure I'd hate it,

It comes down to the Bike really for me but then I'm thinking, An extra vehicle for 20... I dunno. I'm a little disappointed with what I'm hearing to be honest.

It's $20 for the whole set; that's your only option. It gets you:
  • A lengthy set of new challenges (the Master Trials) somewhat in the vein of Eventide Island
  • A hard mode that remixes combat / enemy placement throughout the game
  • A ton of new side quests for various new unique pieces of gear
  • A bunch of new shrines with (in my experience so far) some pretty clever puzzles
  • New story content / cutscenes
  • A new dungeon (I think?)
  • A sweet motorcycle
  • Miscellaneous QoL features like the Hero's Path (tracks where you've been on the map over the last hundred hours of gameplay or thereabouts)
Honestly, it's a pretty good deal for $20. The Master Trials alone took me probably 8-10 hours to clear, and I had a lot of fun with them. The stuff you unlock is mostly just fun extras, what you're paying for (as ever) is the journey to get there.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Any non-spoiler, surface level assessment of the dungeon yet?

I need it.

I have twenty bucks of game budget to spend. I wanna know if I should pull the trigger for full BotW experience or save the money for a game that is that price or cheaper.

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
Stuck at work and haven't had time to go through full thread.

Is there another divine beast? Are there any new enemies or a new boss?

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I get you guys don't want to waste money, but this weird equation of "I better get 200 square feet of new gameplay for every $4 I spent on this DLC" is weird to me.
I usually don't calculate enjoyment to dollars like that but the other poster made a point of comparing the DLC's price.

Anyway, I expect BOTW's developers, one of the best dev teams on the planet, to release DLC that compares favorably to the best DLC expansions from other developers. This isn't bad or anything, it just doesn't dazzle like the rest of the game.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Call me crazy, but I'm kinda disappointed so far

I've done both the Great Plateau trials and Mipha's trials. It's a bunch of new shrines. That's about it. The Great Plateau trials have the one-hit kill gimmick, and Mipha's trials I had to find by looking at pictures of a map, but it just boils down to more shrines. They even recycled the Waterblight fight at the end of Mipha's trials for no particular reason. The "story" content was a ~2 minute flashback of Zelda recruiting Mipha and Mipha talking to baby Sidon. Nothing of real consequence at all. I still have to do the other champions (though I imagine they're probably the same thing as Mipha's), and there's still the dungeon, but...

I guess I was hoping for more of a meaty expansion of the main game (was also hoping for post-game for DLC 2, but I suppose the rumors were wrong, so I can't really fault it for that). So far it's shrines, shrines, and more shrines. It doesn't really feel like there's much to it.
Ah, man, really?
Such a bummer to hear that - not at all what I was expecting.
I would never have bought the DLC had I known. Oh well...

Oct 28, 2017
I legit screamed when I read "breathe in the breath.....of the wild"

Up there with clean up the streets....of rage. DLC worth it

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't played the game yet.

Can you freely roam around completing side stories and random stuff after beating the final boss, or does it restrict you in what you were doing beforehand?
I would like the DLC to come in to play whilst I'm still roaming around doing things after beating Ganon.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't played the game yet.

Can you freely roam around completing side stories and random stuff after beating the final boss, or does it restrict you in what you were doing beforehand?
I would like the DLC to come in to play whilst I'm still roaming around doing things after beating Ganon.

After beating the game, you're returned to a point just before the final battle. All of your incomplete sidequests will still be active.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Are impressions good? The 4 monsters (I think?) to kill with the 1 hit weapon, must be done before having access to the the new dungeon?

What is the order to get it all done :)

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
  • A lengthy set of new challenges (the Master Trials) somewhat in the vein of Eventide Island
  • A bunch of new shrines with (in my experience so far) some pretty clever puzzles
  • A sweet motorcycle
  • Miscellaneous QoL features like the Hero's Path (tracks where you've been on the map over the last hundred hours of gameplay or thereabouts)
Honestly, it's a pretty good deal for $20. The Master Trials alone took me probably 8-10 hours to clear, and I had a lot of fun with them. The stuff you unlock is mostly just fun extras, what you're paying for (as ever) is the journey to get there.
LOL, not even close - you can lie to yourself all you want to justify your purchase, but $20 is one third the price of the original game, and your bullet points don't amount to even a small fraction of a third of the game's content. Any way you parse it out, this DLC is a big fat rip off.

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
I legit screamed when I read "breathe in the breath.....of the wild"

Up there with clean up the streets....of rage. DLC worth it

Maybe in the office, Aounuma had told the team "My favorite part in this game is when Kass tells Link 'You know Link, we are truly are the Breath... of the Wild'". Dev team told him that line was never uttered and they questioned if he even played the game. Aounuma then tells the team "oh no, you misinterpreted me, this is a line we could include in potential DLC".

And that's how we got DLC for Breath of the Wild.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
LOL, not even close - you can lie to yourself all you want to justify your purchase, but $20 is one third the price of the original game, and your bullet points don't amount to even a small fraction of a third of the game's content. Any way you parse it out, this DLC is a big fat rip off.

You don't like the content. Others do. Is that such a big problem? Don't buy stuff before knowing what it contains and then complain about being dissatisfied. Nobody held you under gunpoint to buy it.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You don't like the content. Others do. Is that such a big problem? Don't buy stuff before knowing what it contains and then complain about being dissatisfied. Nobody held you under gunpoint to buy it.

To be fair, it was kind of shitty to only sell a season pass and not sell the two DLCs individually. There could definitely be people who only wanted the content in the first one or second one and it would have been nice to have individual $10 options for those folk.

Mcjmetroid

Oct 28, 2017
Limerick, Ireland
  • A sweet motorcycle

Ah nice thanks for the info. ( I wish this forum had a thumbs up button)

I think I'll cave in fairness :D

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, it was kind of shitty to only sell a season pass and not sell the two DLCs individually. There could definitely be people who only wanted the content in the first one or second one and it would have been nice to have individual $10 options for those folk.

Totally agree. The lack of that kind of purchasing flexibility is strange nowadays.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

seems like a solid value from where I'm sitting. the trials and champion's ballad were enough for me tbh omitting the rest of the list.

though the QoL stuff should be free for all owners of the game

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Nobody is forcing you to buy this, you know. For me, $20 isn't a big price to pay for another weekend spent with Breath of the Wild. The first half of the DLC from earlier this year already gave me more enjoyment than a lot of games that I've spent $20 (...or more) on, so anything past that is gravy.

Owari

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If I buy this do I have to beat the entire game to play it and unlock the motorcycle? I want to beat the rest of the game with the bike lol, but if I can't I just won't buy it.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
If I buy this do I have to beat the entire game to play it and unlock the motorcycle? I want to beat the rest of the game with the bike lol, but if I can't I just won't buy it.
Yea kinda dumb that you get it after completing everything. i want to use it while doing the new stuff.

KayMote

Nov 5, 2017
Too be honest the Korok mask alone opened up the game for me again and gave me around 20-30 more hours of running around the world trying to complete this quest - that alone was worth it for me. So, I'd say together with everything else the 20 bucks are well justified.

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
Too be honest the Korok mask alone opened up the game for me again and gave me around 20-30 more hours of running around the world trying to complete this quest - that alone was worth it for me. So, I'd say together with everything else the 20 bucks are well justified.

DLC 1 ended up being the superior one which is super fucked up.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. So I don't have to beat it entirely then? That's cool. Thanks for the info.

Probably won't buy this now though. They should have made it not require the main game at all.

well it's story DLC that assumes knowledge from each of the divine beast segments so it makes sense that it would require them to be completed prior to starting

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

You have to beat the main 4 dungeons then beat the dlc to get the bike. So most of the game and dlc will be beaten by the time you get it.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You have to beat the main 4 dungeons then beat the dlc to get the bike. So most of the game and dlc will be beaten by the time you get it.

Such an odd decision. I've already done all the shrines and won't want to play after beating this DLC. It should have just been a quest available from the start of the DLC to get the motorcycle IMO.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
so i just cleared 1 camp and a shrine appeared, Does this create some kind of save point? should i clear all 4 camps first? should i clear the shrine first?
Or will i need to start all over again, whichever way i die?

collecting all those new items was fun.

Oct 25, 2017

>:(

Guess I'm selling the monster masks, Switch shirt and XC2 gear.

wait, what? i believe i have EVERY item and my inventory isn't full.

oh, wait - do you have a lot of Amiibo unlocks? I only have the windwaker Amiibo.

This is important to remember. The person in the Twitter video could have a boatload of amiibo unlocks, because you can carry duplicates of those (I haven't trashed my amiibo dupes yet, for instance). Obviously there has to be some limit for clothing pieces designed into the system, but it's probably huge, like 100 or more.

Deleted member 8112

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
wait, what? i believe i have EVERY item and my inventory isn't full.

oh, wait - do you have a lot of Amiibo unlocks? I only have the windwaker Amiibo.
Every possible item in the game, yes. Which amounts to 98, and there's 9 pieces of gear with DLC2. Without the XC2 and Champion amiibo items they would've fit perfectly, which makes me a little suspicious.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
I only got to do two shrines yesterday and they were good. The one hit challenge is interesting.

But reading about this damn dungeon and how short this DLC is is pissing me off again. I want to just love this game but I can't, I can't love this game without real dungeons. I will wait to play the whole thing before passing judgement but I'm getting upset reading about it.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
This is important to remember. The person in the Twitter video could have a boatload of amiibo unlocks, because you can carry duplicates of those (I haven't trashed my amiibo dupes yet, for instance). Obviously there has to be some limit for clothing pieces designed into the system, but it's probably huge, like 100 or more.
The inventory cap is lower than owning a single of every clothing item in the game.

Deleted member 8112

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
One of every possible amiibo unlocks.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I finished the game on the Wii U. I did buy it for the Switch but I have been waiting till this DLC was released before starting again on the Switch. I am excited.

Oct 25, 2017
It's not a math equation.
If someone puts 150 hours into base Breath of the WIld, they can't get mad if they don't get more than 50 hours out of $20 of DLC simply because it's priced to be a third of what the base game costs.

Oct 26, 2017
Gotta say, the one hit plateau challenge is pretty bullshit. Combat is the weakest aspect of this game, and it's a huge shame that they doubled down on it on both DLCs. Not very pleased with it so far.

Other developers have done so much more with $20 DLC.

I don't think it's bullshit unlike hard mode. With the one hit weapon being extremely limited, you're left to use other things and weapons to your advantage.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
eh, i just entered a shrine. Not a fan of the insta-kills.

I'm a fan of challenging puzzles, not punishing platforming :/

edit: ok, did a shrine. that wasn't too bad ...