lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

So I imagine this will be a very localized ability usable only where there are those small pools of 'water' that'll allow you to go to islands higher up int he sky.

Probably certain objects can be played in reverse time by the looks of it. There are a lot of interesting things you could do with puzzles in that regard.

Valus

Nov 21, 2017
When Link gets the glowy hand his fingernails are long. The glowy hand that is sealing the mummy guy and also grabs Link as he's falling has super long nails too. Also has the same golden arm band or whatever.

So which one is the 10k year old hero? The mummy, or the hand that's sealing it? If the scruffy Link is supposed to be the 10k year old hero, then why does his busted arm look the same as the glowy one sealing the mummy away?

Questions questions...I still think the mummy is Ganondorf.

maidhhc

Mar 3, 2021
I think the hand and the corpse could predate the 10,000 years ago Calamity. The Calamity could have just been some sort of 'leakage' from this seal as it grew weaker over the ages. Another mage character with some sort of sealing power could have been under the castle trying to keep Ganondorf under lock for 100,000 years or something like that.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
When Link gets the glowy hand his fingernails are long. The glowy hand that is sealing the mummy guy and also grabs Link as he's falling has super long nails too. Also has the same golden arm band or whatever.

So which one is the 10k year old hero? The mummy, or the hand that's sealing it? If the scruffy Link is supposed to be the 10k year old hero, then why does his busted arm look the same as the glowy one sealing the mummy away?

Questions questions...I still think the mummy is Ganondorf.
Seems like Link's arm is infected with malice in this trailer and then the Glowy Arm sealing Ganondorf basically merges with his arm effectively replacing it to save Link. Thus the long nails and what not. I'm highly skeptical at this idea that Ganondorf was the hero from 10k years ago. Just feels like really far out there fan wankery that's just way more complex and deep than anything Nintendo would go for.

Would make more sense that the arm we see sealing Ganondorf was from the hero 10K years ago and either they sacrificed their arm to do so or their entire life and in that time span their spiritual essence has slowly deteriorated until just that arm was left. That or it's something even far older and not related to the 10K Hero and events at all.

Also at this point it's not unreasonable to think the events from the first trailer may no longer be relevant as certain plot points and things may have shifted in the two years since then. So it may not be wise to assume we can rely on that trailer fully.

gunlovefiction

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Seems like Link's arm is infected with malice in this trailer and then the Glowy Arm sealing Ganondorf basically merges with his arm effectively replacing it to save Link. Thus the long nails and what not. I'm highly skeptical at this idea that Ganondorf was the hero from 10k years ago. Just feels like really far out there fan wankery that's just way more complex and deep than anything Nintendo would go for.

Would make more sense that the arm we see sealing Ganondorf was from the hero 10K years ago and either they sacrificed their arm to do so or their entire life and in that time span their spiritual essence has slowly deteriorated until just that arm was left. That or it's something even far older and not related to the 10K Hero and events at all.
Ganondorf having the exact same tunic as link is interesting though.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
-the floating islands stuff looks really cool
-the same moblins and bokoblins? eugh

I don't understand the complaint here. They are among the most diverse and complete enemies in the Zelda series and offer a lot of different possible interactions with variations based on terrain, weapon, group composition, etc.

The fact they are being reused as the "basic enemy" means Nintendo can invest more time and resources into developing more unique and niche enemies (like the weird ceiling like-like), as opposed to now having to redesign a new bokoblin equivalent.

flare

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they ditch it. While it's a big part of the first game it's not really necessary for this one in my mind. We've experienced that already. I don't think it would be a huge deal for them to introduce a bit more structure to this game. Part of the charm of BotW was that the whole world was this new and unseen thing. It was important that they allow us to go anywhere and do anything whenever we wanted. They needed to reward that kind of curiosity. With us returning to that exact same world and map I feel like things are a little different this time around. Maintaining the majority of that is important, but think it would be beneficial to have certain barriers and milestones that we have to achieve this time around.

Maybe, but at the same time I think it's just as likely this is simply a clever editing choice. The water could be a completely separate and unrelated element that they just used because it was visually complimentary. I said before it would be really cool if one of our new powers and one of the big new systems in this game was the ability to control water and for there to be complex fluid simulations in the game. Who knows at this point.
That's also true, possible callback reversing time.

R2RD

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 6, 2018
As a Yakuza fan I don't mind recycled assets and maps so it doens't bother me at all that this game is doing it.

maidhhc

Mar 3, 2021
I don't understand the complaint here. They are among the most diverse and complete enemies in the Zelda series and offer a lot of different possible interactions with variations based on terrain, weapon, group composition, etc.

The fact they are being reused as the "basic enemy" means Nintendo can invest more time and resources into developing more unique and niche enemies (like the weird ceiling like-like), as opposed to now having to redesign a new bokoblin equivalent.

pls no more bokoblins - i hope they are just in the tutorial section until you learn the runes and lose the champion's tunic

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Breath-of-the-Wild-2-Ganondorf-and-Hand-Shadow.jpg

Seems at some point whoever the spirit arm belonged to withered away, I'm guessing just the passage of time or a curse of some kind, resulting in them sealing the body of Ganondorf to control the spread of Malice.

The order of events in the 2019 trailer makes me think mummy Ganondorf summoned a small amount of power to try to kill both Link and Zelda through a tremor, forcing the spirit hand to let go of him to save them but freeing Ganondorf in the process. We see Link grabbing Zelda and the hand grabbing Link, from this trailer I'm not sure if Zelda is saved eventually or actually does plummet further. Either way Ganondorf is able to summon enough Malice to liftoff Hyrule Castle and it seems he's trying to kill Link / the Spirit Hand through wrapping Malice around his right hand, which Link appears to survive but perhaps is cursed somehow.

E38JRVfX0AInVhs

E38JUKQWUAME7Rv

I don't think Ganondorf is the ancient hero based on the event is depicted in that above shadow flashback, he may have been sealed by an ancient hero who originates from the sky civilization that we'll be up exploring.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

I was entirely bored of seeing them 1/4 of the way into BOTW1. They will hopefully at least give them some new abilities and AI because the animations and models looked pretty much the same to me. The ceiling enemy thing is probably a mini boss since that setup requires a roof of some sort. I just don't want to be running into bokoblin camps again and again even in the sequel.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Ganondorf having the exact same tunic as link is interesting though.
I wouldn't call them the exact same. Both have sheets of cloth going over one shoulder, but Link's doesn't even get close to his elbow while Ganondorfs extends down his entire arm to his wrist. Link's outfit seems to have two parts a tighter toga like wrap and then another green sheet of cloth that simply drapes over his left arm that stays bound by other straps on him. Ganondorf looks to just have a stereotypical single large cloth wrapped around his waste and then up over his left arm rather loosely.

Link's initial look is a very classical Greece/Roman esq like toga and wrapped sandals, but that's only in the opening shot with him falling down the sky. In all the other shots we see of him in that green outfit he has different bottoms on with regular trousers and beefy fur strapped boots, not sandals. I think they're just trying to convey a classical style to this long far off time in the past that they're resurfacing. So I'm not personally reading too much into the outfit or hair or anything.

Skyscourge

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2020
Trailer is now #1 trending, with almost 2 million views. Should we put it in the thread title lol?

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah it basically looked like BOTW with a few islands in the sky. Like I hope once we see more of the full game that it will be much more then that. Didn't get as hyped as I was expecting. This game might reach 6 years in development so I kind of have huge expectations for this especially since the engine, physicals and many of the game's assets are already done. I guess I just figured it would look like a lot more content then what we currently are seeing.

We saw like 30 seconds of gameplay my man. Relax.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
Seems like the mononoke inspirations are gonna continue with the demon arm thing

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Bit of a strangely paced and edited trailer. Still, looks and will no doubt be incredible.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Hrm am I the only one who's getting the impression that long-hair Link and BOTW Link might be two different Links from two different eras? I was thinking about how maybe the gimmick of the game would center around doing stuff both in the Past and the Present. Which to be fair has been done to death in Zelda, but thousands of years apart would be a pretty big deal for possibly unique gameplay mechanics.

lovecatt

Nov 12, 2017

So I imagine this will be a very localized ability usable only where there are those small pools of 'water' that'll allow you to go to islands higher up int he sky.

I know it sounds dumb to say it but link ascending upward through a rock is one of the coolest things I've ever seen in a video game haha

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I think there might be a time jump between getting zapped by the mummy and the sky stuff, but it'll be a matter of weeks/days not thousands of years or anything.

I'm still struggling to reconcile how using the same map will work. Are we gonna have a sky area, an underground area and the hyrule of the first BotW? It's so weird to imagine just walking around the same map even if significant parts of it have changed.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
I think what's interesting is half the scenes feature Link with short hair. In these shots you will notice no islands in the sky and the scenes with the islands in the sky are the ones where Link looks entirely different. Longer hair, entirely different clothing, etc.

Edengamer25

Aug 29, 2020
So im not sure if thats all the floating islands there will be or they are probably just showing off one area. The ground area seems the same but we will find out more next trailer

Metalgus

Oct 27, 2017
I think what's interesting is half the scenes feature Link with short hair. In these shots you will notice no islands in the sky and the scenes with the islands in the sky are the ones where Link looks entirely different. Longer hair, entirely different clothing, etc.

And I believe we never see sky Link's face. Another unanswered question.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
And I believe we never see sky Link's face. Another unanswered question.

I kind of wondered if it was Zelda because the hair style looked similar to Zelda's hair in the BOTW 2 teaser. However the fact that all the gear is more or less the same as Link's and Zelda as of BOTW was never trained in martial arts and what not suggests to me that this is still Link. I think if it was Zelda, the gear would match her style more.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
The whole Link warping through stone at the end kind of has me thinking what if that's like a spiritual manifestation of Link/Glowy Arm ascending to this Heavenly plane up in the sky rather than them physically traversing there. I don't necessarily like the implication that the sky sections and ground sections aren't something we can freely traverse between, nor that Link on the ground and Link is the sky are different, but it could make sense given what we've seen if there really is a greater implication there. Whether that's spiritually transcending planes of existence, time or something of the like could explain why the on ground sections don't seem to show any of the landmasses floating in the sky, but why we do see the ground below the floating landmasses.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I kind of wondered if it was Zelda because the hair style looked similar to Zelda's hair in the BOTW 2 teaser. However the fact that all the gear is more or less the same as Link's and Zelda as of BOTW was never trained in martial arts and what not suggests to me that this is still Link. I think if it was Zelda, the gear would match her style more.
Well that and they probably wouldn't have Zelda using literally the exact same walk cycle as Link.

Prevolition

Oct 27, 2017
What are people guessing for the title? Mine would be:

The Legend of Zelda: The Cursed Arm
The Legend of Zelda: Air of the Dead

I'm expecting to learn more about lineages (hence some wordplay on "heir") and also some connections with being suspended in air.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people are thinking there are two Links and one is the fabled Ancient Hero.

GotMurked

Sep 7, 2020
Idk why people are writing off Zelda being playable just from watching this short ass teaser. I'm more convinced now that she'll play a role underground.

Idk if it's been posted before but this is from an interview with Aonuma after the first trailer.

In an interview directly following The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild sequel reveal in the E3 2019 Nintendo Direct, IGN's Samuel Claiborn asked Aonuma, "I know for a long time, people have wanted to play as Zelda, and there have been some games where you get to play as Zelda a little bit. It looked like Zelda and Link were hanging out a lot together. Do you think this is going to be the game in which we get to play as Zelda, maybe as a co-op game?"

To this, Aonuma responded through a translator, "It's kind of interesting that you bring that up, because in Breath of the Wild, you see Zelda and Link together often too, so to go straight into the thought of co-op is very interesting to me."
While his answer expertly sidestepped our question, Kotaku's Jason Schreier asked Aonuma a similar question about playing as Zelda in an interview the next day.

Aonuma said to him, "A lot of people have been asking that, and so I want to ask you, why do people think that?" Schreier responded saying she's free at the end of Breath of the Wild, and people have wanted to play as her for a long time.

"I see," said Aonuma, laughing. "But I can't tell you."

You could read it either way but to me it sounds like he didn't wanna spoil the surprise

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017

Yeh I think you are correct - but to go further I expect this could also simply be this games equivalent of shrine transport. Instead of taking a lift down into a shrine we ride the green drops into the sky

m051293

Oct 29, 2017

Actually looking at it closely isolated now, this seems like two different things. There's a quick cut between the droplet going up and then Link entering this floating island from the bottom.

Might be two completely different things, or it might just be a cut to remove what happens in between two linked shots.

Camells

The Forgotten One
Oct 25, 2017
To me looks like Ganondorf malice was trying to possess Link`s body and that Sheikah arm device that was sealing Ganondorf saved link by sealing Ganon`s influence over Link`s body hence why his arm looks different with the long nails and his hair has grown kinda like Ganondorf`s 10k years back.

I think the quest of this game is more like "saving" Link this time, Ganon's influence could grown stronger with time making that arm thing weaker and eventually possess Link 100% so the main quest is to gather something (or parts of it) to stop Ganon's malice...which could be something tied to that time reverse theme we see on the trailer. I still think Zelda plays a role on this quest to cleanse Link's body.

Oct 26, 2017
I know I'm late to the party, couldn't watch the direct live.

Have we exhausted the speculation re: a Skyward Sword connection?
Suddenly remastering it seems to make a lot of sense...

Wari Oman

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 2, 2021
What are people guessing for the title? Mine would be:

The Legend of Zelda: The Cursed Arm
The Legend of Zelda: Air of the Dead

I'm expecting to learn more about lineages (hence some wordplay on "heir") and also some connections with being suspended in air.

Something with air, sky or heavens seems to be a given, since the sky islands seem to be the key feature that the 'wild' was in BotW.

So my guessed would be:

Embassy of the Heavens
Heir to the Heavens
Shadows of Air

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
I think my greatest fear is that it's basically going to be the same map with minor changes. More of an expansion than a actual sequel.
Hope they show more cool stuff because if that's the case then...oof