• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
I am pretty disappointed regarding the release date. The game will come in the end of 2022 at the earliest or even maybe only in 2023. So there would be a time gap of almost six years between BotW1 and BotW2. This is way too long and I really dont understand what took them so long? The game looked good, but not outstanding. I would have expected a BotW sequel in this shape for the end of 2020 or somewhen like that. As reference:

SS: End of 2011
ALbW: End of 2013
BotW1: March 2017
BotW 2: End of 2022

So it takes them even longer to make BotW2 than making BotW1 - and for the latter they had to build anything up from the scratch. What is happening here?

Lol. Be happy you are getting it at all

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
I see very little of the visual enhancements that I observed in my preliminary analysis of the initial teaser in-engine footage, so I'm going to assume that those visual touches are reserved for the cutscenes. The gameplay graphics appear to be very much in line with the first game, with the exception of some slight changes in LOD parameters and post-processing. The procedural cloud rendering is more obviously camera facing given the new perspective, and the cloud textures are higher resolution, probably since you're going to be closer to them in this game.

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
When I reverse the music played backwards.. it kinda sounds like the SD intro (about the first demise battle)

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Can we please not be mad if Nintendo delays this game? BOTW was constantly delayed and look at the final game we got, a masterpiece.

If they need another year or two or dare i say 5 more years then so be it, it's nintendo were talking about.

6+ years tho we're bawling Nintendo 😡
People here already mad lol, delay will make them rage

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
Graphics looks pretty much the same as BotW. Hopefully this was not the Switch Pro version being shown.

Weapon durability is the real question I have. If they eliminate that dumb mechanic this might be fun. I probably will skip it if they leave it how it was in BotW though.

maidhhc

Mar 3, 2021
jfc will you relax? The guy is being polite and using sound arguments. Threads like this should be able to handle more than mindless hype.

agreed - i'm happy for them to take as long as they need, but this guy has a right to voice his opinion, especially with how reasonable he is acting.

edit - but maybe let's leave this argument for now and focus on the trailer?

NoidVoid

Jan 5, 2019
This trailer is amazing. Filled with so much mystery to keep us speculating for a long time. I love the theory that the sky character could be an ancestor of Ganon or Ganon himself prior to transformation — people equating footage of Zelda falls into a hole as meaning she plays no part in this may want to think a bit harder, the first trailer suggests otherwise — i.e. - that may potentially be the halfway point of the new game — this builds off of the chronology established in both trailers: the reveal trailer suggested that Link and Zelda exploring underground preempted the transforming landscape/ launching islands into the clouds.

This trailer clearly shows gameplay before and after this moment, reinforcing the potential of that being a midway point and Zelda potentially at least playable for the first half segment… and perhaps even further if the game divides into sky and underground after the aforementioned generative event… Imagine a combination of subterranean and sky temples & dungeons

Lastly; to those bemoaning the length and lack of content in the trailer— it's a teaser trailer, it's not supposed to be revealing too much but instead stoking conversation, which in my opinion it really nailed accomplishing that intent. I'm so much more excited about this game now!

Doodlebug

Oct 25, 2017
It looks like some of the shots that Link has the ponytail and some don't. I wonder if that Kid Icarus type one-shouldered cloak thing changes his hair appearance while wearing it in the sky.

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I still believe in the 2022 release being actually true even despite Japan's currently abysmal COVID handling.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I keep thinking that's Zelda falling in the sky...but yeah it's not kinda disappointing she's kidnapped/ fell through some hole again other than that looking forward to this

Lirose

May 30, 2018
jfc will you relax? The guy is being polite and using sound arguments. Threads like this should be able to handle more than mindless hype.

Saying COVID didn't affect the development that much and demanding Nintendo tell us why it is taking that long to develop doesn't seem sound to me. Seems the opposite of sound but maybe your definition of the word is different.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
what

did people think botw2 was gonna look like

it's a short teaser and not a deep dive, it shows new mechanics and equipment and areas and enemies

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
I am pretty disappointed regarding the release date. The game will come in the end of 2022 at the earliest or even maybe only in 2023. So there would be a time gap of almost six years between BotW1 and BotW2. This is way too long and I really dont understand what took them so long? The game looked good, but not outstanding. I would have expected a BotW sequel in this shape for the end of 2020 or somewhen like that. As reference:

SS: End of 2011
ALbW: End of 2013
BotW1: March 2017
BotW 2: End of 2022

So it takes them even longer to make BotW2 than making BotW1 - and for the latter they had to build anything up from the scratch. What is happening here?

Since you're peppering in albw, you missed Links Awakening remake in 2019, so only a 3 year gap.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
is Aonuma pulling a TLOU2 trailers with this trailer? 🤔

nah... we are overthinking it.

Oct 8, 2019
unknown.png

Well, I was... kinda right.

Uh considering that Sony wasnt going to have a presence At E3 there was no way that Sony would announce a remake of Wild Arms.

Tialo

Dec 4, 2019
Saying COVID didn't affect the development that much and demanding Nintendo tell us why it is taking that long to develop doesn't seem sound to me. Seems the opposite of sound but maybe your definition of the word is different.

Lol then please read my posts again. Yes Covid does for sure affect development, this is clear. But Covid can not be an explanation or an excuse for everything or for each kind of delay. If Nintendo would have presented todays trailer in 2019, then I would have been absolutely satisfied, because this looks like a good normal sequel, which can be expected 3-4 years after the first part. But presenting this four years after BotW1 and two years after the first teaser, I am definetly not satisfied.

PS: Nobody here denies Covid. I will start reporting users here if they keep on repeating this rude assuming of my person!

Goldenh

Feb 9, 2020
Yes this is exactly my opinion. If I discussed the long development time of the game in the last months, a lot of users here said to me: 'Just wait. The game will be a complete new experience and will do a lot of things different in comparision to its predecessor'.

Well, as we could see today, this was definetly not true. The game looks good, but 'only' as a normal sequel. You could even sell this as an expanded DLC and nobody would have noticed it. So I dont know why Nintendo is developing here so long.

DUUUDE omg can y'all WAIT. This was a TEASER once again. They showed literally snippets of story and just a look at islands in the sky and 1-2 new gameplay thing. Do you really think in 5+ years there will only be DLC material of expansion. Give it time. We don't even have a name yet.

Pez

Oct 28, 2017
2022 is unfortunate, but makes sense. I do wish the 35th anniversary had a bit more spectacle to it, but that's alright.

This fall is packed for Nintendo, though. All the release dates announced today and then Pokemon remakes. Nintendo fans will be eating well this holiday season, ha.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
peeps the "Zelda" falling off the sky has right breast not covered by clothes... it's obviously Link.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
My main worry is the pure joy and sense of discovery BoTW brought won't quite be there as its looking like an altered version of the same map.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
During the direct, I thought some of the playable scenes were with Zelda... but looking at it now, it's Link (he has the cursed arm). Still, I hope the story seriously isn't "Zelda fell down the hole which leads to alternate Hyrule, go save her".

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
One weird thing about this game is that it's pretty obvious by now that they really are reusing textures and stuff, so it's hard to see what's taking so long. What we've seen so far really does look like a BotW Expansion Pack. And by their own words, it was the physics engine that caused them the most trouble with BotW, not the maps. If BotW 2 is basically just BotW with a new toolkit and a rearranged map, it's hard to see why that would take 6 years.