• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

snesiscool

Feb 15, 2018
The disembodied arm seems to be Twili stuff. Twilight Princess tie-in?

Seems like there's a graphics upgrade, too. There's what seems to be realtime shadows from torchlight and other dynamic light sources, something that was missing from even the prerendered cutscenes in BotW.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Hopefully they manage to further optimize the engine for the Switch. Would be great to see 1080p BOTW Hyrule.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
It just feel like going to a Boston bar during a Red Sox game and shouting about how much the Red Sox suck during a game. But you're right, people have different opinions and need to tell everyone that they dislike the thing most everyone else does like. I get it.
It's more like a Boston fan going into a Boston bar and talking about how they're disappointed with the team this year.

You are not a product, no matter how much you like it. Someone not liking a product, or even saying it sucks, isn't an attack on you. And if it feels like it is or if it bothers you that much or if it ruins your positivity, then you need to take a step back. Don't be an insufferable Positivity Police Officer.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
My personal wishlist of improvements for this sequel:
1. At least 4 more classic dungeons to satisfy our 'old-school' Zelda fix.
2. A way to increase weapon durability. Even just by a small amount.
3. Never mind having a complex story; what BotW lacked for me was an interesting villain to hold the narrative. We need Ganon and his top henchmen to be compelling characters.

. . . . and thats it. They could just wholesale copy everything else from the first game and it would be for me the most perfect game in forever.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
Chances are they'll keep the BotW Zelda English VA, whose performance wasn't very well-received. Though the voice wasn't my favorite either, the options of keeping her with a lot of harsh fan complaints or just replacing her are both less than ideal, or respectful to her efforts.

Anyway, we'll see what kind of structure the game will take, and whether we'll see a new map.

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
Now THIS was the biggest fucking shock. I can't believe the madmen announced the sequel already, now I can't wait to see this in action. Hopefully the nail the level design and improve on the combat a bit more while keeping everything else intact, cause that'll make this a fucking GOAT in my eyes.

RetroCCN

Oct 26, 2017
I don't want more story. Don't care about longer dungeons. Just give me more of ths same, thanks.

Deleted member 24540

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The thing about a sequel is that now they have the engine in place, they can focus on just creating content. This could mean that we finally get proper dungeons, for example. It's very unlike Nintendo to make a truly direct sequel in every sense. Just look at the change in tone, it's very similar to the shift from OoT to MM. BotW was disappointing in some ways and amazing in others but I'm not gonna jump to conclusions, at this point I'm simply hyped for a new Zelda.

Aug 27, 2018
It's more like a Boston fan going into a Boston bar and talking about how they're disappointed with the team this year.

You are not a product, no matter how much you like it. Someone not liking a product, or even saying it sucks, isn't an attack on you. And if it feels like it is or if it bothers you that much or if it ruins your positivity, then you need to take a step back. Don't be an insufferable Positivity Police Officer.
haha, okay bud. I like enjoying things, if you don't that's fine too

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
If they're going for a 'quick' sequel, you can expect a "dark" version of botw hyrule, with some changes here and there, and hopefully some real dungeons.
That's what I'm hoping for, absolutely. There were some really interesting parts of the overworld where nothing really happened (like the flooded abandoned village) and other parts that could be fresh without the constant threat of sentinels keeping you beating your feet through them. That overworld has a lot of untapped potential if you ask me... and there's barely any underground to it, and that looks like a huge focus here. Proper underground dungeons and caves and caverns to explore would be lovely.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Okay, so here's what I've gotten from watching the trailer a few times.

Ganondorf's real body is in a cave/dungeon underground. It has a disembodied white glowing arm attatched to its chest and Ganon is basically a lifeless mummy. Magical energy is swirly around the arm. The energy looks like Gerudo language. Something happens where malice comes in and it looks like Ganon's body revives.

It seems like the arm may be an ally. At one point there is a flash of lightning and the shadow cast on the cave wall looks like a flashback to the past where someone attacked and defeated Ganondorf. I think you can see the figure the arm belongs to:
0Q30EI3.jpg

Maybe a monk?

The arm reaches out and saves Link or Zelda from falling.

At the very end, Hyrule Castle begins turning into a new Skyloft.

So my interpretation so far is this:

10,000 years ago someone, maybe a monk, helped seal Ganondorf's body away and their arm is all that's left. Link and Zelda enter the temple and find that the seal is almost gone. Ganon's malice enters and drives away the arm and revives Ganondorf. Link and Zelda fall and the glowing white arm saves them. Then Hyrule rises to the heavens.
These were my initial thoughts too, but having Ganondorf be the main threat again seems odd. It makes the most sense given what we know, but it could be something else like Yuga, which I might prefer as that opens up a lot more interesting possibilities with the Sacred Realm, Lorule and such.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I gotta wonder how much asset reuse will actually help shorten development. They have a foundation now, both in terms of the engine and the knowledge but most of what made BotW appealling isn't something that can be reused. It seemed like the bulk of BotW's development was spent on meticulously crafting the world, playtesting the entire game every few months to hone the mechanics to avoid the usual pitfalls of open world jank.
A huge chunk of the development was making the engine for the game, followed by them losing a ton of work and having to delay for long period of time after deciding that designing the game around the wii U pad was the wrong course of action and that they should redesign it with zero gimmicks. Since BOTW is a sequel for the switch only, and they have an experienced team after working on the dlcs, they can iterate quite fast.

TheFuzz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure. Totally reasonable conclusion to come to that a sequel being announced without a title, no gameplay, with the statement "now in development", is releasing within a year and a half.

Is that not what happened with AC? If I need to be more passive—aggressive with my response so you can comprehend it, just let me know.

lightchris

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I would have preferred an entirely fresh game instead of a sequel, even if it would have taken longer to develop.

That said, BotW was a great game and I bet this will be too. Excited to see more of it.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so here's what I've gotten from watching the trailer a few times.

Ganondorf's real body is in a cave/dungeon underground. It has a disembodied white glowing arm attatched to its chest and Ganon is basically a lifeless mummy. Magical energy is swirly around the arm. The energy looks like Gerudo language. Something happens where malice comes in and it looks like Ganon's body revives.

It seems like the arm may be an ally. At one point there is a flash of lightning and the shadow cast on the cave wall looks like a flashback to the past where someone attacked and defeated Ganondorf. I think you can see the figure the arm belongs to:
0Q30EI3.jpg

Maybe a monk?

The arm reaches out and saves Link or Zelda from falling.

At the very end, Hyrule Castle begins turning into a new Skyloft.

So my interpretation so far is this:

10,000 years ago someone, maybe a monk, helped seal Ganondorf's body away and their arm is all that's left. Link and Zelda enter the temple and find that the seal is almost gone. Ganon's malice enters and drives away the arm and revives Ganondorf. Link and Zelda fall and the glowing white arm saves them. Then Hyrule rises to the heavens.
I slowed down the video. The arm seems to attach to link and fire into the ceiling and a bunch of Ganon juice comes out

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they've learned their lesson and didn't unveil this game years too soon, as they've done with the past few 3D Zelda games. A late-2020 release date would be delightful.

Slushimi

Oct 30, 2017
That's what I'm hoping for, absolutely. There were some really interesting parts of the overworld where nothing really happened (like the flooded abandoned village) and other parts that could be fresh without the constant threat of sentinels keeping you beating your feet through them. That overworld has a lot of untapped potential if you ask me... and there's barely any underground to it, and that looks like a huge focus here. Proper underground dungeons and caves and caverns to explore would be lovely.
I just want some great dungeons and a more linear approach, kinda like A Link Between Worlds

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Huh, you can see the actual two people fighting in that screenshot of the shadow on the wall. That's cool.

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
hm we can see that the green energy is affecting links arm in one shot. this will probably allow him to use some kinda new gimmick / new items probably. i don't see zelda be playable as the main character here

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to play back youtube videos backwards? that chanting in the beginning really sounds like it's audio being played backwards

Genio88

Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Holly molly a direct sequel of my game of the decade, Nintendo won everything again, i just hope it won't take another 5 years

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they've learned their lesson and didn't unveil this game years too soon, as they've done with the past few 3D Zelda games. A late-2020 release date would be delightful.
Well they don't have to create all new assets nor a new engine, so I'm not seeing how this is comparable...this looks more like a Majora's Mask type direct sequel

Aug 27, 2018
Just don't go around demanding positivity and you'll be fine. You can enjoy whatever you want so long as you don't set terms with regards to what other people can say.
I just find it odd that someone would go somewhere where people are all celebrating a thing just to tell them how much they dislike the thing being celebrated is all. It's less "policing" and more out of confusion. If I don't like something I just put it behind me, I don't feel the need to tell people that enjoy that thing that I dislike it.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It does look pretty far along if they already have specific cutscenes ready.

But this is going to be 2021.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
How are people not realizing that the villain was Yuga from Link Between Worlds?

Same crown, same long red hair...