• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017

Hooray! I was always hoping this would hit.

The "High-Speed Skip Mode" that players enjoyed in the PlayStation 4 versions of The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel and The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II have been added as an additional feature. With the press of a button, you can change the game speed to two times faster for events and when on the field, and four times faster in battle for a more comfortable gameplay experience.

Screenshots of the Kai versions from the teaser site:

DdcdXMC.jpg

j2evxEp.jpg

Last edited:

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Now the long wait for a translation begins. There's been a fan translation out for a while though

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yes localize this please. This is the missing piece in this saga that us people in the West absolutely need.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Would be smart to try and license the fan translation (like XSeed did for Oath in Felghana (though with less drama hopefully)).
The team has already shot this down. It's just too complicated of a project with too many people involved, and the original project manager explicitly said he didn't want his work licensed. He's gone, but still tied to the project since Geofront's work is built on top of his team's.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
The team has already shot this down. It's just too complicated of a project with too many people involved, and the original project manager explicitly said he didn't want his work licensed. He's gone, but still tied to the project since Geofront's work is built on top of his team's.
That's rough then. Such an absurd hurdle to imagine tackling these two alongside CS4, Ys IX and the new title all in the immediate future.

Naha-

Feb 6, 2019
Hopefully both games are using the original OST.

Anyway, it's almost obvious that Falcom is releasing this version at this point to localize them in the west. But i'm not sure how NISA it's going to be able to handle this many games without taking ages to localize them all.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
I wish I knew two weeks ago, when I started Cold Steel.
Though I'm not really sure i'm going to play these two, can't stand that type of game after 3 Trails in the Sky with isometric camera and slooooow gameplay (and on PS4 nonetheless). It's a good news for sure, Trails need more love and closure, just afraid we'll have to wait til 2021

OP
OP
Sun's Resting Place
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully both games are using the original OST.

Anyway, it's almost obvious that Falcom is releasing this version at this point to localize them in the west. But i'm not sure how NISA it's going to be able to handle this many games without taking ages to localize them all.

It most likely will.

I wish I knew two weeks ago, when I started Cold Steel.
Though I'm not really sure i'm going to play these two, can't stand that type of game after 3 Trails in the Sky with isometric camera and slooooow gameplay (and on PS4 nonetheless). It's a good news for sure, Trails need more love and closure, just afraid we'll have to wait til 2021

This will have skipping and a turbo mode, so you'll be able to speed it up quite a bit.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Hgnn, it always bums me out looking at the designs we had here and what we're stuck with at the moment.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
It most likely will.

This will have skipping and a turbo mode, so you'll be able to speed it up quite a bit.
Yeah i know, but still it's quite a drag. If Hajimari No Kiseki has character even from Crossbell (which seems likely at this point), I think i'll feel more compelled to play these two, we'll see. Trails games are quite the commitment imho

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
Boy, selling two remasters of nearly decade old PSP games separately seems like a dick move. Didn't they sell CSI&II together over there? Anyway I hope this is a good excuse for someone to give us official translations.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
Can't believe I picked up Cold Steel 3 in a sale, but still probably won't get around to playing it for like a year :p

Need to finish CS 2 then might hold out for the Geofront translation of Zero before playing that and Ao, but then if these versions get announced internationally maybe I'd rather wait for Ao Kai, which will hit English release probably around 2022 or something.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Boy, selling two remasters of nearly decade old PSP games separately seems like a dick move. Didn't they sell CSI&II together over there? Anyway I hope this is a good excuse for someone to give us official translations.
Nope, they were sold separately. It's fair enough for these too imo, they're meaty games (and fully voicing them is crazy).

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Falcom has every bundled Trails games before, at least not in a standard retail package. Both the Sky Kai and Cold Steel Kai games were all individual releases, and this just continues that trend. Not like they are small games, if a bundle was demanded there's no chance NISA would pick these up for localization.

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
PSP originals?
Am I remembering a different set of games?
Cause I remember those games sucked ass.
Someone help

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
It's still just the main story that's voiced, not absolutely everything. Not sure if anybody is confused about that, but I thought I'd make it clear.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
PSP originals?
Am I remembering a different set of games?
Cause I remember those games sucked ass.
Someone help
You're probably thinking of the Gagharv trilogy games which got English releases (though they're originally 90s PC games). Never played those, but iirc Kondo joined Nihon Falcom because he loved them so much.

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
Finally, gave up on the series for a while to wait for something like this to happen and now I'll be jumping back in.

So many RPGs to play next year at this point though...

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
You are probably thinking of the shitty Bandai Namco localization of the ancient Gagharv Legend of Heroes games.

5pSanKx.png

Example. LOH 3-5 are the "Gagharv" trilogy, and come before Trails.
You're probably thinking of the Gagharv trilogy games which got English releases (though they're originally 90s PC games). Never played those, but iirc Kondo joined Nihon Falcom because he loved them so much.

THANK YOU!!
God those sucked so hard.
I'm no longer confused bring these on.

Burning Justice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cool, looks like these are carrying over the VA from the Evolution versions but reverting everything else back to how it was in the original PSP releases. Exactly how I wanted it.

Now, hopefully we see localizations for both of them.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if they'll shoehorn in a certain rabid SSS fangirl and her family for the sake of consistency.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I don't feel like voice acting would really add anything to the game for me so I don't really care about that, but it's great to see them embracing the turbo feature. All JRPGs need it, but Trails in particular benefit from it.

I'm not in a huge hurry with these since I recently played the games with the fan translations, but I also consider Zero and especially Ao to be considerably better than the Sky and CS games, so I'm definitely getting these day one if they ever get localized.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hopefully NISA will localize these 2, even though it might not be the most financially sound decision.
Nothing is ever guaranteed with port of 10 years old entries in niche series.

Vault

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
crazy that they aren't bringing the Sky trilogy over first

Unknown837

Oct 26, 2017
FUCK YES, hopefully means an official localization is only a matter of time, really want to play Cold Steel but don't want to play out of order.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope these are localized! Most of the current series on one platform is cool (I'd buy TitS again if it got a ps4 release).

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
crazy that they aren't bringing the Sky trilogy over first

I reckon they might bring the PC versions over to PS4 in the west, since presumably that won't take much effort since they're already translated

A trilogy collection would be amazing

They could use the sales of that to determine if it's worth bringing the Crossbell games to the west

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
FUCK YES, hopefully means an official localization is only a matter of time, really want to play Cold Steel but don't want to play out of order.
tbh you can play 1+2 now while waiting for Zero/Ao. It's one of the recommended orders to play the games in since Ao and Cold Steel 2 spoil each other.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully NISA will localize these 2, even though it might not be the most financially sound decision.
Nothing is ever guaranteed with port of 10 years old entries in niche series.
If the Switch version of ToCSIII ends up selling well and Ys8 wasn't a fluke, then i don't see why NISA won't want to pick up these games for localization. Taking in mind Falcom's recent comments about the Switch in the West.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how any of the licensing works, but I'm curious to see if they'll reuse VA from the Evo versions.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Things I want:
US release pls.
Physical copies! Even if limited, I don't care, gimme!
Full English dub.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If the Switch version of ToCSIII ends up selling well and Ys8 wasn't a fluke, then i don't see why NISA won't want to pick up these games for localization. Taking in mind Falcom's recent comments about the Switch in the West.

Bear in mind Zero no Kiseki and Ao no Kiseki are still old games of niche series.
Their sales potential is already very limited in the first place.
On top of that, have you seen the "controversy" surrounding the pricing of Sora no Kiseki SC and 3rd at global release?
A lot of people found paying "mere" $30 for old games ridiculous even if they are new releases.
How much are they going to charge for Zero and Ao assuming these get localized?

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
Mixed feeling. On one hand deserved as they are really good games.
To localize these nisa will slow down the release of cs4 and the 2020 kiseki?
Or maybe these will be released in the west while falcom Is busy with the development of next arc

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'd be fine with NISA holding off on CS4 and the new game and getting these out first, personally, but I'm not that deeply ingrained in the fandom to the degree I'm ever really exposed to spoilers.

The sheer amount of work to go into them is probably too much though, especially for games that don't have the mass appeal of the full 3D entries. Here's hoping, regardless!