Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone gotten information from NISA on their collector's edition shipping? Mine still says "Unfulfilled" and I also have an error message on my order page: "Liquid error (sections/main-customers-order line 1**): Invalid url input"

Not sure what that means, but sent a message to NISA. Just wondering if anyone has seen the same on their order or also is Unfulfilled.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
Text Is tiny Indeed, not impossible. Portable trails remains unbeaten
True, portable is the way to go!

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

The closest I've found that may be helpful to you is the SwitchUp review. But, to second what the user below wrote, portable (RPGs in general) remain unbeaten. :)
Thanks for sharing this! Gonna watch it right now.

And yeah, huge RPGs like the Trails series need to be played portable!

OskarXCI

Nov 11, 2018
Probably an obvious fact, but the Cold Steel arc must have really overstayed its welcome. I was expecting this thread to move a lot faster.

Or a portion of people have given up on the series due to gatekeepers telling them they must start from the beginning.

LiS Matt

Jan 19, 2018
Looking forward to this, but I do need to play catch up. My copies of both Cold Steel 3&4 as well as daybreak both arrived today, and I paused my series replay at CS2 when I heard a ps5 version was coming. So hopefully I reach daybreak by 2025.

BradenAndEggs

Jan 8, 2018
Or a portion of people have given up on the series due to gatekeepers telling them they must start from the beginning.

People can (and should) start the series with whatever game they want, but the act of suggesting someone start with the beginning of the story shouldn't always be labeled as toxic gatekeeping. 🤷‍♂️

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Loving it, but my god is PS5 performance rough.
Probably an obvious fact, but the Cold Steel arc must have really overstayed its welcome. I was expecting this thread to move a lot faster.

Nah, the game still isn't even out on PSN in the UK yet. Fucking NISA, and thank god for my physical copy.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017

People can (and should) start the series with whatever game they want, but the act of suggesting someone start with the beginning of the story shouldn't always be labeled as toxic gatekeeping. 🤷‍♂️
can we maybe cool it a bit on any "gatekeeping" convos when we have the first Trails game in like a decade that is actually a great entry point? Don't worry, you can keep having this Sisyphean debate once Daybreak 2 hits.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I started playing Trails into Reverie at launch and stopped shortly after the intro or first chapter because I was just so tired of the Cold Steel formula. Is it worth going back and breezing through it to see the story?

OskarXCI

Nov 11, 2018

There's a reason Trails has the reputation that it has. The one RPG series where you must play 10 games before you can really appreciate it.

PhillyPaw

Apr 11, 2021
Telling people to start at the beginning of a book is now considered "gatekeeping". The more you know...

Unless you just don't care about the story at all and are in it for the gameplay, start with Trails in the Sky. The other games aren't going anywhere

ryodi

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
My LE arrived yesterday from NIS Europe and as someone who's part of the problem and buys their DLC its annoying the Bonus set is exclusive to the £100 digital version and I'm unable to buy it separately. Although having said that's it now 2pm in the UK and the DLC is still unavailable to buy.

Bardeh

Jun 15, 2018
I'm sorry, but your game could be the best, most amazing thing ever, but as soon as I see a protagonist who is a literal schoolchild with the proportions of a RealDoll, I will never play it. It's embarrassing, honestly.

Like......please. 🤮

prRfpi9.png

OskarXCI

Nov 11, 2018
Telling people to start at the beginning of a book is now considered "gatekeeping". The more you know...

Big difference between "a book" and 10 games that are 60 hours on average. Some of them go for over 100 hours. Most people will play something else.

Now, if Falcom actually do modern remakes of the Sky games, more people would be okay with starting from the beginning. The remakes would be the new shiny thing.

El_Dabrah

Feb 18, 2024
I'm sorry, but your game could be the best, most amazing thing ever, but as soon as I see a protagonist who is a literal schoolchild with the proportions of a RealDoll, I will never play it. It's embarrassing, honestly.

Like......please. 🤮

I just downloaded the demo on PS5 to see what this game is like. When that line appeared, along with the noticeable chest physics a few scenes earlier, I was like "oh so these games are like that." I'm still going to play more, because I'm actually intrigued by the story so far.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Big difference between "a book" and 10 games that are 60 hours on average. Some of them go for over 100 hours. Most people will play something else.
I mean, it's not that different. When people talk about starting The Wheel of Time, they don't ask if they can start with the newest book.

Video games are just unique in that the desire to be able to understand the story can directly contradict the desire to always play the newest latest thing. People do this all the time when a new video game comes out and reviews well, people will be caught up in the hype of the reviews and the new shininess of it and ask "do I need to have played the last game to enjoy this?". Sometimes you do and sometimes you don't, but like...unless the previous games were just considered bad, then why even create this issue for yourself? Why would you skip Bayonetta 1 and 2 to play Bayonetta 3? Why skip Alan Wake to play Alan Wake 2? What skip Final Fantasy 7 Remake to play Rebirth? In all those cases the previous games rule, and can be found for much cheaper. People are just always attracted to the new shiny thing.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
This depends, honestly. As someone who loves 800+ page titles, reading a long fantasy novel takes me about as much time as playing a 100 hour game. Of course, this might just be my slow reading speed, though I don't think I'm much slower than the average person. Is there a similar discussion in Goodreads and other places where people discuss books online, about gatekeeping and wanting to jump into a long-running series into the middle of it? (not being snarky, I wonder if this desire to want to skip older titles is a gaming thing or something you see in other media as well)

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
Best game in the series imo even if its not my favorite (love older games more due to nostalgia). As always, yes you can jump in right here and enjoy the game to it's fullest it's made for new players don't listen to gatekeepers.

Every time this subject comes up I have to point out that you guys take this much more seriously than Falcom themselves do. Up until relatively recently there was an entire arc in the middle of the series that English speaking Kiseki fans had no choice but to skip because it wasn't localized.

momerath

Oct 27, 2017

Like......please. 🤮

This is exactly why this series will never be respectable. The sexualization and misogyny are out of control.

No amount of "but Estelle!" can paper over it.

Puddi64

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 3, 2022
I just downloaded the demo on PS5 to see what this game is like. When that line appeared, along with the noticeable chest physics a few scenes earlier, I was like "oh so these games are like that." I'm still going to play more, because I'm actually intrigued by the story so far.
They are, but it might be worth noting that mostly started with the Cold Steel series in case you want to check out the older games guilt-free.

Franky D Tank

May 15, 2024

Like......please. 🤮

prRfpi9.png
Unfortunately, while Falcom has had its problem with sexualization even early on, it's only gotten worse over time with Cold Steel and here. I don't blame anyone for not wanting to give the series, and especially the newer games, the time of day with how bad it has gotten.

Franky D Tank

May 15, 2024
Ok first of all I really like Cold Steel. Second of all what are you talking about? I know the Crossbell games have a little bit but its way less
Speaking from my experience replaying the games, Sky and Crossbell don't come across as bad mainly because you they were still sprite based and not the 3D games we currently have. In Sky, you have Scherazard and a few other characters who definitely have sexualized designs when seeing their whole body portrait shown. This becomes even more so in the Crossbell games. Since you don't see what they are supposed to look like at all times, it can be easier to not think about how horny the designs are in earlier games. Once they go to Cold Steel, you see what the characters look like at all times, and you can see that Falcom really starts to hone in more on that ability over time. Just look at Rixia, where her design has been sexualized since her first introduction, but only becomes more noticeable in the 3D games

Capndrake

Oct 28, 2017
Fair warning for anyone thinking of starting with this one - like the first game of every arc it's relatively self-contained, but the sequel immediately starts pulling out stuff from throughout the entire series again. And the third game looks like it goes even further.

momerath

Oct 27, 2017
This is one of the biggest lies that Cold Steel haters love trotting out.

Yeah, the whole series has always had these kinds of problems. It only got worse in later games because the visuals became more capable of exploiting it.

I've played all 10 of the existing games and to some degree they have always objectified women, they were just more subtle about it in the old days keeping it to offhand suggestions about breast size or whatever other inane anime trope-y thing they could get away with.

Oct 27, 2017
Ok first of all I really like Cold Steel. Second of all what are you talking about? I know the Crossbell games have a little bit but its way less
If you're talking about very scantily clad women in general, let me introduce you to Luciola.

latest

Luciola was introduced in Trails in the Sky Second Chapter, and let me tell you, there is not a single woman introduced in the Cold Steel games you dresses as egregiously as this.

Changing the goalposts to girls of schoolgirl age? Let me introduce you to Shirley Orlando, who was introduced in Trails to Azure.

latest

Shirley was 16 when she was introduced.

Blaming Cold Steel for shit that was introduced way earlier in the series is really fucking irritating and happens all the time.

Harems? Introduced with Joshua in SC who had Estelle, Kloe and Josette after him and was followed up with Lloyd.

Mechs? Introduced in the very first Trails in the Sky.

I can go on and on.

ponylegs

Jun 23, 2024
Brazil
Oh well the thread is going downhill. Time to go beat the last 5 bosses in Trials of Mana until it's time for the Daybreak patch

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fair warning for anyone thinking of starting with this one - like the first game of every arc it's relatively self-contained, but the sequel immediately starts pulling out stuff from throughout the entire series again. And the third game looks like it goes even further.

This is what made me lose interest

For the best anyhow I suppose, should get on starting the Sky trilogy already...

Oct 27, 2017
Oh well the thread is going downhill. Time to go beat the last 5 bosses in Trials of Mana until it's time for the Daybreak patch
Ah, sorry about that! I do love the Cold Steel games and do get a bit fired up when people misblame them for issues that have been present in the series right from the start.

I'm pretty sold on getting Daybreak for the Steam Deck now. Seems like it runs great and HDR being available will look great on the Deck OLED. This is the first game in the series that has HDR IIRC.

I'm kinda hoping it can be bumped to 1080p when docked with good performance. I can imagine I will love playing it portable, but I played all the Cold Steel games on TV and would like that option again, if possible.

ponylegs

Jun 23, 2024
Brazil
Ah, sorry about that! I do love the Cold Steel games and do get a bit fired up when people misblame them for issues that have been present in the series right from the start.

oh don't worry it wasn't you!!

The graphical improvements cited in the patch were really good news. I'm going to test the settings to see how far I can push it while keeping acceptable framerate

momerath

Oct 27, 2017
To be clear I also enjoy these games, I wouldn't have played 10 of them if I didn't.

I just think we are doing a major disservice to potential new players by trying to handwave or downplay some legitimate problems that these devs have always had on fundamental levels-- you need to know what you're getting into. If you are prepared to overlook some stuff you can have an amazingly rewarding time with this series. It sounds like this entry is no exception.

Ultimadrago

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to this! I'm really glad that Crossbell's artist returned to do the key art for this title. It will be nice to have a cast reset after so long.

I've preordered but I probably won't play Day 1. I go too hard into my Kiseki games with NPC chatting, so I have to brace myself first.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the whole series has always had these kinds of problems. It only got worse in later games because the visuals became more capable of exploiting it.
I don't think anyone has been saying that it hasn't always been problematic though? That's why I don't get why these arguements always keep cropping up. It's pretty obvious why people find it more annoying in Cold Steel over the earlier ones, because it's pretty hard to avoid the 3d models you always see.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
People often claim that the problems started with Cold Steel.
I mean very few do. I feel like maybe a few people did at one point, and now you can't complain about Cold Steel because it just bring out an arguement whenever anyone brings it up, even if the original poster acknowledges issues of previous games but just thinks it got worse in Cold Steel. Like if you actually read this thread. Someone said they mostly started with Cold Steel, which is an acknowledgement that they did occur before but were worse with Cold Steel, and yet you have someone literally coming out saying thats a lie with an essay of ackchyually. It's just tiring.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Has the Steam patch already dropped? I'll be getting it on Steam, but might wait to see if either Humble or GMG gets it for a bit of a discount

Edit: Looks like it'll be at the normal Steam update time

Kazer

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Has the Steam patch already dropped? I'll be getting it on Steam, but might wait to see if either Humble or GMG gets it for a bit of a discount
"*The English language support update is scheduled for July 5, 2024, at 10 am PDT."

Should drop in a little over 2 hours now.