header.jpg

Release Date:
Jul 5, 2024 at 1:00 PM

Platforms:
PS5, PS4, Switch, PC (Steam & GOG)

Metacritic - 83
Opencritic - 85
RPGFan - 93/100
Overall, I'm thoroughly impressed by Trails through Daybreak. I love the Trails series, but I did not expect to enjoy the start of this new story arc nearly as much as I did. The more mature and complex storyline, handled with surprising thoughtfulness and filled with believable characters, really drew me in. Given how enjoyable previous games were, most gameplay aspects are polished to a shine I wouldn't have thought possible. Trails through Daybreak is easily one of the most robust starter games of the series and an almost perfect entry point for newcomers if they don't want to start with Trails in the Sky FC. It might even be my new favorite game from the series, at least until Trails through Daybreak II comes out! I can even easily say without a shadow of a doubt that it's by far the best game I've personally played this year. Fans should pick up Trails through Daybreak, as should anyone simply craving an excellently made and wonderfully written JRPG experience!

RPG Site - 7/10
Despite my issues with some of the characters, Almata, and the underlying Xipha system, I still enjoyed my time at Calvard, seeing old friends and meeting new ones, and I am eager to return. The Trails series is one of my favorite long-form fictional works, and I look forward to the months and years' worth of discussions and seeing how all the new teases and hints end up paying off in Daybreak II

IGN - 8/10
The Legend of Heroes: Trails through Daybreak is an exciting new start for the series. With a fresh cast of characters joined by a handful of familiar faces, it's a welcoming point for potential new fans to jump in while also rewarding veteran players for returning. Daybreak's updated hybrid battle system still has a few kinks to work out with its real-time elements, but enhanced movement options and other impressive tweaks make the turn-based aspects better than ever. Wrap that up in an engaging story full of political drama and a compelling new setting, and Daybreak is exactly what the Trails series needed to reach new heights.

TheSixthAxis - 9/10
The Legend of Heroes: Trails through Daybreak is the spark that this series needed, and an incredible new chapter for such an iconic franchise. The shift in tone for the story and the addictive dual-mode combat had me hooked from beginning to end. If you play any game in this series, make it this one.

Push Square - 8/10
Trails through Daybreak is one of the series' best games, and its most impressive in terms of scope. It's a robust, engrossing RPG that often demands patience, but it's hard to turn your back on such a strong cast of characters and a story that's stuffed with memorable moments. Throw a fantastic combat system into the equation, and Daybreak is right up there with Falcom's finest releases.

Siliconera - 10/10
Trails through Daybreak is a triumph for both long-time fans and newcomers to the series. For veterans, it builds upon and expands nearly every aspect that makes the series great, from its intricate storytelling to its deep character development and strategic gameplay. For new players, while it's a challenge to dive into such a complex series, the game makes a commendable effort to provide an accessible starting point into the rich world and lore without feeling overwhelmed.

Console Creatures - Recommended
The Legend of Heroes: Trails Through Daybreak is another hit in the beloved series, delivering a darker narrative, revamped combat, and an excellent cast of characters. It has a ton to offer to both new players and existing fans of the series.

Entertainium - Recommended
Even if you have yet to experience any of The Legend of Heroes up to this point, it's safe to say that Trails through Daybreak is a fantastic starting point as it doesn't lean as heavily on the references as the previous games, and in case you start feeling a little lost on the lore, the material included does a decent job at summarizing the series' rich backstory. This is one of the best games so far that I've played in this long-running saga and you'd be doing yourself a disservice by not at least giving it a chance. Daybreak is a brilliant new start for The Legend of Heroes and I can't wait to see what will come next.

SpazioGames - 7.5/10
Trails through Daybreak marks the first time Falcom takes a bet with its franchise, changing its combat system to a degree and some of its gameplay mechanics. The changes are all good for newcomers, which will find an ideal entry point here, but are not so for the longtime fans, who could dislike the action-focused shift and the decrease in the overall level of challenge.

RPGamer - 4.5/5
Offering an incredibly welcome refresh for the series with its story, cast, and gameplay, The Legend of Heroes: Trails through Daybreak is a delightful way to re-enrapture existing fans while being an excellent opportunity for newcomers to get on board.

Nintendo Life - 8/10
Trails through Daybreak stands as another great entry in the storied Legend of Heroes series, making the most of its new setting with its memorable characters and engaging turn-based combat. Though it's held back a bit by things like the awkward introduction of action-based combat and some irritating quirks (and nearly unreadable text in portable mode), this is still an entry that we would strongly recommend to both series fans and, yes, newcomers, too. Trails through Daybreak is a strong inaugural outing, offering another fresh start for this franchise; we'd suggest you give it a shot.

Noisy Pixel - 8.5/10
The Legend of Heroes: Trails through Daybreak brings a fresh start to the Trails series with its new Calvard arc. Featuring an ambitious narrative, innovative gameplay systems, and a compelling new protagonist, Van Arkride, this entry captivates both new and returning players. Despite some issues with difficulty and the LGC alignment system, Daybreak stands out as a remarkable and modern addition to Falcom's storied catalog.

Twinfinite - 5/5
Though I will always have a soft spot for the Cold Steel games, Trails Through Daybreak arrives as the new best game of the series. Between giving a more mature protagonist and redefining the combat, the Calvard arc starts with its best foot forward. The fact that things have already become this hectic with the very first game means we're looking at probably the craziest arc to date. Sadly, these take a bit of time to localize, and we'll be two behind in September, but I will be right there when the next one hits.

GamingBolt - 8/10
The Legend of Heroes: Trails through Daybreak establishes its own identity in the extensive franchise, offering fun new characters, compelling combat and a relatively strong presentation despite some familiar flaws.

Hardcore Gamer - 4.5/5
Nihon Falcom needn't have gone about overhauling things as radically as they have. But with a newfound energy and purpose to its real-time/turn-based hybrid of a premise, as well as a bountiful amount of new and returning mechanics to experiment with, Trails Through Daybreak is nothing less than another fantastic reinvention for what was already some of if not the best turn-based combat in any JRPG series. Aided on top by that familiar dedication to player customization, intriguing world-building and that ongoing desire to spend a bit longer in getting the most out of the systems on show. Countless entries later, Trails continues to prove itself as one of the most satisfying and engaging role-playing experiences available. It wasn't exactly begging for such reinvention, but with The Legend of Heroes: Trails Through Daybreak, Nihon Falcom's opener to the Calvard arc is as close to perfect a new chapter, as you can possibly get.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE1ibf0m9g0

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFxhomZEhsk

Last edited:

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Strong reviews. Hope this game sells decently. As the start of a new ark, it should be a good jumping in point for new players.

Can't wait for the English patch to drop tomorrow evening on Steam

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Still have 2 cold Steel games (counting reverie) to find the time to do, and then I'll get it.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Goodbye Rean

Rest in Piss, hahaha...

Glad this seems to be a solid title but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed that its another arc without a female lead. They knocked it out of the park with Estelle and nothing since has come close. Too much stuff to play but maybe next year.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
Goodbye Rean

Rest in Piss, hahaha...

Glad this seems to be a solid title but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed that its another arc without a female lead. They knocked it out of the park with Estelle and nothing since has come close. Too much stuff to play but maybe next year.

Don't look at any of the promo material for Kai no kiseki aka Kuro 3 then.

Last edited:

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Falcom stays winning.

Getting psyched for tomorrow. I can't wait to meet all the new villains who it turns out really aren't that villainous and mourn the characters who die (but it turns out not really).

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
I'm curious. I feel like I see another new one of this studio's games every other month, checked out their wiki page, I'm not going crazy if seems. They consistently release one game (at least) per year, and have been doing so for 3 decades, they are a small team, most of their work are JRPGs, of decent length, and mostly very well received. How is that even possible? šŸ˜²

Franky D Tank

May 15, 2024
Ain't that the truth. She's made guest appearances here and there since Sky but unless I'm crazy, it barely feels like Estelle.

She does feel different but I always figured it's because she's matured. Sky Estelle is the best though.
I feel like with any characters that appear outside their originating series that they feel more one note. They don't have the time to built a rapport with the current cast, so their more basic characteristics are shown and the depth doesn't have as much of a chance to shine. Their major developments are pretty much done at that point, so you aren't going to get those bigger moments either. There's only one character that's appeared in multiple arcs that really gets to stay consistently solid, while the rest of the returning cast are their basic characterization.

Oct 29, 2017
USA
Ain't that the truth. She's made guest appearances here and there since Sky but unless I'm crazy, it barely feels like Estelle.
Unless I'm mistaken, a lot of that has to do with how Xseed localized the Sky games. They took more liberties with her characterization which I think were for the better. NISA is sticking closer to the original intent and the Estelle we've been getting since then is a little toned down. It could also be attributed to her character getting older.

I can't read Japanese and haven't played the games in that language so this all based on what I've read around the internet.

Puddi64

ā–² Legend ā–²
Nov 3, 2022
I feel like with any characters that appear outside their originating series that they feel more one note. They don't have the time to built a rapport with the current cast, so their more basic characteristics are shown and the depth doesn't have as much of a chance to shine. Their major developments are pretty much done at that point, so you aren't going to get those bigger moments either. There's only one character that's appeared in multiple arcs that really gets to stay consistently solid, while the rest of the returning cast are their basic characterization.
I'm guessing you mean Olivier?

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I'm curious. I feel like I see another new one of this studio's games every other month, checked out their wiki page, I'm not going crazy if seems. They consistently release one game (at least) per year, and have been doing so for 3 decades, they are a small team, most of their work are JRPGs, of decent length, and mostly very well received. How is that even possible? šŸ˜²

A number of their releases are ports, going back to Vita-era stuff. There's also a delay between games being localized which isn't always even.

Other than that, I'd imagine that asset re-use and proper scoping play a part in it. They don't try for insane visual fidelity or absurd physics or anything, they make competent assets and aren't afraid to re-use them when appropriate. The games are more about the ongoing world, characters, and story.

It's how Ryu Ga Gotoku pumps out the Yakuza stuff, too.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Much as I love that goof ball, I feel that the later Cold Steel games he didn't stand out as much, though he was still pretty good. I was talking about Renne
From what I understand from Reverie's ending, that character will play a big role in Daybreak too actually. One of the few characters to appear in all arcs so far, and usually with at least some important story scenes.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
The usual chuds are already out and screaming about Daybreak's localization, too, so you know it must be actually done well and proper.

Franky D Tank

May 15, 2024
From what I understand from Reverie's ending, that character will play a big role in Daybreak too actually. One of the few characters to appear in all arcs so far, and usually with at least some important story scenes.

Yes, said character will be in the game, though how big their involvement in the story is something I am not privy to. On one hand I am happy to have the character back again, on the other hand, there is a small, minor spoiler I know of the second game that makes me less excited.

The usual chuds are already out and screaming about Daybreak's localization, too, so you know it must be actually done well and proper.
I've been seeing complaints about localization for a long time, and like so many other games it's the usual bad faith takes. There was a complaint I saw where the meaning of the text box between NISA localization and the fan translation was the same, but they were mad that the characters physical appearance wasn't being mentioned like it supposedly was in japanese text.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
I've been seeing complaints about localization for a long time, and like so many other games it's the usual bad faith takes. There was a complaint I saw where the meaning of the text box between NISA localization and the fan translation was the same, but they were mad that the characters physical appearance wasn't being mentioned like it supposedly was in japanese text.

There's a particular part being harped on where early on Ark is talking to a person who is gender-nonconforming. In the original Japanese he asks a question along the line if they should be referred to as -kun or -chan. The localization has Ark asking the person what their preferred pronouns are. As you might expect, it's driving them absolutely wild, even though that's 100% the right choice.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I played Trails in the Sky 1 and 2 and enjoyed them a lot, but dropped off hard in the third part, this is years and years ago now. Am I screwed or do you reckon it'd be ok to watch a recap of 1 and 2 and jump back into 3?

ponylegs

Jun 23, 2024
Brazil

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
My Switch copy arrived today, excited to give it a go despite being knee-deep into other things still at the moment lol.

When it rains, it pours I know but Switch is insane. I can't remember having a backlog like this in... forever.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
It's like this series is its own separate backlog for me. I'm still trudging through the Sky trilogy need to do azure and cold steel and I think there's one more game before this one? Trying to stay in the dark as possible since I know it's all connected but Falcom need to slow the fuck down with the next one. Give me time to catch up!

Oct 27, 2017
It's like this series is its own separate backlog for me. I'm still trudging through the Sky trilogy need to do azure and cold steel and I think there's one more game before this one? Trying to stay in the dark as possible since I know it's all connected but Falcom need to slow the fuck down with the next one. Give me time to catch up!
There's a sequel to this game already out in Japan and another game recently announced, so the train isn't stopping any time soon!

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
There are four arcs:
Sky: FC, SC, 3rd
Crossbell: Zero, Azure
Cold Steel: I to IV
and then Reverie.
Daybreak: 1, 2 (the West is currently at Daybreak 1)
and then Kai

So after the Sky games, you have just 7 more games to go. Might want to hurry up if you want to make it in time for Daybreaks launch in under 4 hours (on Steam at least).

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
There are four arcs:
Sky: FC, SC, 3rd
Crossbell: Zero, Azure
Cold Steel: I to IV
and then Reverie.
Daybreak: 1, 2 (the West is currently at Daybreak 1)
and then Kai

So after the Sky games, you have just 7 more games to go. Might want to hurry up if you want to make it in time for Daybreaks launch in under 4 hours (on Steam at least).
Easy peasy I can finish these 100 + hour jrpgs before then, haha

I'll keep my head in the sand until I catch up it seems.

El_Dabrah

Feb 18, 2024
I've never played a single game in this series, but contemplating checking this one out. Now the question is PS5 or PC...

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
I want to get this physical, but finding detailed info in how the Switch version runs is pretty hard. All I've seen is the Nintendolife review mentioning the text is hard to read in portable mode.

Also does the game overseas contain Japanese, or are there 2 versions?

Edit: just checked Dekudeals and it the Trails series all have English only...

gamewhoopr

Dec 10, 2018
I want to get this physical, but finding detailed info in how the Switch version runs is pretty hard. All I've seen is the Nintendolife review mentioning the text is hard to read in portable mode.

Also does the game overseas contain Japanese, or are there 2 versions?

youtu.be

The Legend Of Heroes: Trails Through Daybreak Nintendo Switch Review!

TLOH Trails through Daybreak has arrive and releases globally on 5th July. How are things on the Switch version and as for the gameplay - does it do enough t...

The closest I've found that may be helpful to you is the SwitchUp review. But, to second what the user below wrote, portable (RPGs in general) remain unbeaten. :)

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017

I'm in the same boat but I jumped in with Cold Steel and I'm on Cold Steel 3.

It's just endless but I still keep ordering these games as they come out (because small print runs) and they sit on the shelf mocking me šŸ˜­