• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
just to clarify, trial chests don't give AP correct? There are areas where they'd want me to bring party members I dont ever use, and I dont want to bring them lmao. Particularly if the only benefit is for 2 party members I never use to be able to overdrive together.
They're chests, so they also have items inside. Sometimes good ones.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
Rean needs the quartz swap, you swap the Raven quartz from Fie over to Rean, give Fie Falco then you pass the CP regen item to Alisa. You then have Jusis spam speed buffs and you are literally invincible. Only issue is the slow chip damage but every now and again you can burn a critical s break. Add in moebius for the better recipes (read, more CP and more speed buffs) on AOE and you're untouchable. Really you could take Falco off Fie and just give her more delay because she's not taking damage.
I do exactly that with Fie and Rean, but I have yet to discover a situation where Alisa's available CP is an issue, so I leave her on Angel because the attribute balance and Arts selection is better, if I ever find myself using Arts.

Rhowm

Nov 27, 2017
Two reproducible crashes for me, at the same point in the game, last night and today. Unfortunately, I'm probably going to put the game down for a while, I was enjoying it up untill the point I couldn't pass.
in Act 1 part 2, right after Baron schwaerzer wakes up and the screen transitions to a shot of Ymir at day time.My screen goes black and then it crashes back to steam BPM, with no dialogue box or prompting. I was using turbo mode also at the time, if that perhaps makes a difference

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Machias
is the first one you reunite with, Falcom's favorite classmate confirmed

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
Two reproducible crashes for me, at the same point in the game, last night and today. Unfortunately, I'm probably going to put the game down for a while, I was enjoying it up untill the point I couldn't pass.
in Act 1 part 2, right after Baron schwaerzer wakes up and the screen transitions to a shot of Ymir at day time.My screen goes black and then it crashes back to steam BPM, with no dialogue box or prompting. I was using turbo mode also at the time, if that perhaps makes a difference

Are you wearing a dlc costume by any chance?

Magic Kaito

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Machias
is the first one you reunite with, Falcom's favorite classmate confirmed
His ended up being my favorite, because I found it particularly heartfelt. Fie's is a close second. This is with all of them being eligible dance partners in CS1; not sure how big a difference it makes if they weren't because I'm still a bit fuzzy on the details of the carry over's impact on dialogue.

Lazrgatr

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
When Xeno and Leo were interrogating Rean about Fie I can't help but think of the poor guy in a parallel universe who decided to bathe with her alone at night. I'm wondering if the dialogue changes.

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017
Does anyone knows who voices Aurelia Le Guin? It isn't Sara's voice actress, right?

Anyway, not long now until best girl makes her entrance (her appearance in the inn doesn't count, even if it's great). The Ebel Highway 2 monster was a tad harder than I was expecting, but mostly due to not going well equipped (I hadn't equipped faint resistant accessories). Luckily, Sharon, Laura and Rean are so overpowered that I didn't really need to adjust much, just separate into 2 groups of 2 in order to avoid wipes, and go to town trying to inflict as much status effects with Rean and Sharon as possible.

I would usually complain endlessly with how poorly balanced the combat system is in the Trails games, specially in this one, as it would make the combat boring for me in theory, but I think it's so strong at a mechanical level and it allows so much variety that it ultimately doesn't really matter, as I find it incredibly engaging regardless (the exp. multiplyer also plays a key role here, making the trivial encounters fun). It's telling that I could carry on playing 3 Trails games one after the other and 2 more just with one game in between and not once get bored with the combat system.

R_thanatos

Oct 27, 2017
Finally took time to start the game last night after my download finished... and the game runs on my toaster !!!
Finally i'll be able to finish it after my PS3 blu-ray drive died.
Now that's some sick optimisation... i have headroom to boost some features too

Color me quite impressed.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
You need to go here, and if that doesn't fix your problem, you need to go here and send those to Durante so he can diagnose and fix.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
TitS has the most annoying romance I've ever witnessed in a game, and I've seen some bad ones, it completely ruined the whole trilogy for me

giphy.gif

Deleted member 2585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would usually complain endlessly with how poorly balanced the combat system is in the Trails games, specially in this one, as it would make the combat boring for me in theory, but I think it's so strong at a mechanical level and it allows so much variety that it ultimately doesn't really matter, as I find it incredibly engaging regardless (the exp. multiplyer also plays a key role here, making the trivial encounters fun).

I know, right? If I had to make a tier list for CS2 the tiers would range from "Very very OP" (Rean) to "Pretty useful" (Machias) with most characters falling under "Very OP" to "OP". But it's so fun regardless. Every fight feels a little like a puzzle - how to finish the fight while expending the least amount of resources. And it's so quick and snappy, especially with Turbo Mode that it never feels like too much of a timesink.

Magic Kaito

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks again for dubbing THAT provincial army officer again, XSEED. Bonding events continue to be great:

7mIeWFE.jpg

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone knows who voices Aurelia Le Guin? It isn't Sara's voice actress, right?

It's Valerie Arem

I would usually complain endlessly with how poorly balanced the combat system is in the Trails games, specially in this one, as it would make the combat boring for me in theory, but I think it's so strong at a mechanical level and it allows so much variety that it ultimately doesn't really matter, as I find it incredibly engaging regardless (the exp. multiplyer also plays a key role here, making the trivial encounters fun). It's telling that I could carry on playing 3 Trails games one after the other and 2 more just with one game in between and not once get bored with the combat system.

The music makes a big difference too

It's hard not to get pumped up over a fight

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
I agree. The combat offers so many possibilities for optimization and fun/rewarding plays that being somewhat imbalanced isn't really a big issue for me.
There aren't a lot of games with the mechanical strength to pull that off. Another example (in CRPGs) would be Divinity: OS.

Deleted member 21858

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Turbo mode is amazing. The game does take quite some time with questionable camera movements in between cutscenes, showing, for example, a robot or a ship in three different angles. I put the turbo mode on +4 and always use it while walking around cities as well.

Edit: Also, yeah, Emma or Sara hmm... in the first one I went with Laura, but her characters seem so artificial now.

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
I spent most of CS1 and CS2 disliking Rean. He's his own character (not a light novel self-insert by any means), and he definitely has flaws. But most of the time the games kind of gloss over that and make him out to be extremely powerful instead of making him a more compelling character. I think that Rean could have been given some better character development: maybe if he had more scenes where his self-doubt was more fleshed out (like in Chapter 1 of CS1, where he downplays his talents and mildly pisses off Laura), or if the game highlighted his compulsive need to help everyone at his own expense as something that isn't necessarily good for him.

And yet, for all that, I was pleasantly surprised to find that I really liked his character during the final stages of CS2. I'm very excited to see where CS3 takes his character.

Playing as a boring nobody would probably be boring, but you don't need to give a character superpowers or anything to make them interesting. Estelle isn't exactly a nobody, but outside of being Cassius' daughter, she's pretty normal. She's not even that good at combat (and she stays that way). Estelle's such a great character precisely because she's not overpowered.
She starts out being an immature girl who likes to hit things with a stick, but slowly and gradually grows as a person. And that's her strength: instead of being an amazing fighter, she learns how to empathize, how to bring people together, how to lead. The 3rd refers to her as the "Sun," and it's a perfectly fitting description.

And besides, the Kiseki games know how to make boring nobodies interesting. There's a reason why we all love the NPC's and make it a point to talk to every single one of them :)

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that you don't need to make a character be physically powerful (like Rean or Joshua) to make them interesting. Falcom is 100% capable of making great characters and storylines out of more mundane people and stories.

Oh I 100% agree with you about everything here including Rean, though I would argue that Estelle does get pretty damn powerful in her own right.

She is going toe to toe with Ouroboros enforcers by the end of SC and even takes down Weissman. Of course she's with a party of other high level bracers and Joshua, but the point stands. Not to take anything away from her character at all considering all the work and growth she did to get up to that point.

I don't wanna turn this into power level talk because that's just boring, but Rean on his own isn't all that strong relative to the situation he's in, though there's obviously no denying the super power part of him. I'll just throw in that I also agree that I would like to see where his character goes in CS3 considering where 2 ends off and I'll leave it at that.

The music makes a big difference too

It's hard not to get pumped up over a fight

I actually had the game crap out at me at one point and this song stopped playing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fdd_CCanGAA

And it made the fight way less hype so you're definitely not wrong lol.

Last edited:

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the trails titles are by far my favorite variation of this turn based arena JRPGs with turns being determined by skills and magic.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
There's something about Trails combat that just doesn't click with me, which is weird cause otherwise I sure enjoy many turn-based and round-based RPGs, especially when the game gives you tools to straight up break it. I suspect it might be, at least partially, the numerous trash mob fights. They're pretty much never interesting in any JRPG, and here they are just hard enough that you have to actually focus a bit on what you're doing, but too numerous and not hard enough to be actually interesting, so I end up getting sick of fighting way before the more interesting fights.

But I'm going to put a conscious effort into getting into it when I start replaying CS1 soon. I feel like I've had pretty good success getting into combat systems of games I didn't enjoy too much before recently, so hopefully Cold Steel's clicks finally too. Cheat engine's speedhack will certainly help, at least.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Power levels are dumb in literally every RPG, but Trails has enough stratification so that they actually kind of matter?

They're at their best in 3rd where a dopey looking guy like
Kevin
is one of the most powerful characters on the continent, and beating the shit out of cocky Ouroborus trash without annoying "lol time's up" caveats is immensely satisfying.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
this games pretty good at making me want to play the crossbell arc

the divertissement feels almost mean in a way

Eternia

Oct 25, 2017
I mean yeah Rean is strong and I don't know how strong he is in CS3 but as of Act 1 in CS2 he seems to depend a lot on Valimar.
Isn't that also a power in itself? It's not like anyone else on the team can pilot Valimar. He gets a fancy super saiyan ability and a mech that smashes soldats and tanks!

Oct 25, 2017

CS2 working on Nightmare for a first-time run with near-zero BS is one of the reasons why the game is so high on my list of favorite JRPGs. Yeah, Delay is powerful, but there's a lot going and a ton of exciting battles. I hope CS3 works well on Nightmare-- I hear there's at least one fight that is kind of BS? CS1's final battle just didn't scale well with the difficulty, at all.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I like that Rean is strong but it's shown there are plenty of people who are stronger. Even if by comparison he's doing damn well due to being so young and inexperienced compared to them

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
That boss enemy thing in the first part of act 2 was hard as hell. Took me like 6 tries but I finally squeaked through. Kind of a ridiculous spike, over twice as much HP as anything else so far and without S-crafts and criticals my damage wasn't too good.

Yet I swept up that trial chest in the same room without taking damage.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
there's a pretty major bug with one of the quests in the epilogue by the way durante

I crashed 3 times in between the 2nd and 3rd fights in Class Warfare,I looked it up on the steam forums and was able to get through it by setting my max fps to 30 for the fights so it's something to do with fps I guess

That boss enemy thing in the first part of act 2 was hard as hell. Took me like 6 tries but I finally squeaked through. Kind of a ridiculous spike, over twice as much HP as anything else so far and without S-crafts and criticals my damage wasn't too good.

Yet I swept up that trial chest in the same room without taking damage.

you talking about the thing in the proving grounds? it's one of a set of optional bosses and is supposed to be a spike

if you look at it's level it's level 100(the other ones of the set are even higher)and although it's definitely possible to beat them whenever you have all the way up until the point of no return in the finale to fight those things if you can't handle them when you first meet them

Last edited:

Ultimadrago

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
So for those playing Cold Steel 2 for the first-time, what are your general, non-spoiler thoughts? Are you enjoying it (even) more than Cold Steel 1?

I haven't started my copy yet as I'm trucking through SotC atm.

Lazrgatr

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
So for those playing Cold Steel 2 for the first-time, what are your general, non-spoiler thoughts? Are you enjoying it (even) more than Cold Steel 1?

It's a lot better than 1 so far, but I've only just completed act 1. The only problem is that there's too many characters and too few party slots.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017

I definitely like it more than the first one overall

I actually thought for a while it might end up being my new favorite in the series but the pacing was just too uneven in spots for it to get there in the end

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
you talking about the thing in the proving grounds? it's one of a set of optional bosses and is supposed to be a spike

if you look at it's level it's level 100(the other ones of the set are even higher)and although it's definitely possible to beat them whenever you have all the way up until the point of no return in the finale to fight those things if you can't handle them when you first meet them

That makes sense I guess, even though I'd have thought a post-game-type boss would have been impossible at this point.

I was rushing through and not really paying a lot of attention to the game and between the cutscene and the mention of the monster I somehow assumed I had to beat it to finish that quest. I didn't realize otherwise until I couldn't "report" that I beat it to the NPC lol.

It has some different issues than CS1, but so far I like it significantly more.

Last edited:

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
Played all the way through the beginning of the Intermission. Glad things are starting to pick up!

That chat with Crow was cute in a way (also why everyone in this game knows how to cook?) The only thing I hate about this part so far is that Rean is so damn nice with everybody, to hell what they all did in the past.

Tonton

Oct 25, 2017
Played all the way through the beginning of the Intermission. Glad things are starting to pick up!

That chat with Crow was cute in a way (also why everyone in this game knows how to cook?) The only thing I hate about this part so far is that Rean is so damn nice with everybody, to hell what they all did in the past.
Well, people from the commoner's dormitory (and Class VII before Sharon too iirc) need to either cook for themselves or eat out and always eating out is gonna be expensive and hard when you lose all your money gambling on horse races :p

Lazrgatr

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Started act 2

Knew bathing with Sara was the right call. She was the only adult figure to not ditch the moment everyone got onboard the courageous. Intermission took a lot longer than I expected and I really liked the scenes with Alfin, Zephyr(I can't imagine what they would have done to any Reans who chose to bathe with Fie), Altina, and Duvalie. Duvalie is made for Bulli.

And as soon as we got on the ship there's that trademark Falcom padding again with the random sidequests. Unless its literally the last chapter the format never changes lol.
Not even Crossbell getting blown up by the Orlandos could stop the random sidequests padding out the first half of chapter 4
Actually come to think of it that's not even that true. They always find a way to cram random sidequests regardless of the urgency of the situation.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
(endgame spoilers)

so i've seen complaints about other aspects of this games story but that stuffs all whatever to me pretty much,I expect a certain amount of issues in these things
but did anyone else have the end of that castle stuff kinda ruined by all things Vita? her overall incompetence through out that whole thing was honestly kind of ridiculous

like...this is supposed to be an anguis? even fucking cayenne was making her look like an idiot