OP
OP
Biosnake

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
DNF Duel came out a month-ish ago and it gets like 700 concurrent players max on Steam in a given 24 hour period. Assuming we get stats for Project L, I will bet you 100 U.S. dollars that it stays above 10,000 concurrent players per 24 hour period when it's a month old
I'll bet you more money if you want
its getting spicy in here

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The fighting games will probably benefit from going F2P (probably MK does not need it for now) but they have to have sizeable roster to justify F2P pivot.
I hope the people clamoring for single-player content in fighting games aren't expecting to get much or any of it in F2P fighters.

Going F2P isn't the answer to everything.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
DNF Duel came out a month-ish ago and it gets like 700 concurrent players max on Steam in a given 24 hour period. Assuming we get stats for Project L, I will bet you 100 U.S. dollars that it stays above 10,000 concurrent players per 24 hour period when it's a month old
I'll bet you more money if you want
We'll never get those stats unfortunately, or at least, not PC only (unless the game ends up being PC only, which I highly doubt).

mojo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope the people clamoring for single-player content in fighting games aren't expecting to get much or any of it in F2P fighters.

People don't actually know what they want from fighting games. The f2p push is just a community desperate for anything to help them grow.

Samalis

Oct 25, 2017
Will this be Riot's first game they try and make for consoles? Or are they going to stick with PC only for this?

J_Macgrady

Oct 25, 2017
People don't actually know what they want from fighting games. The f2p push is just a community desperate for anything to help them grow.
No lie I kinda see what they're talking about given my experience with Multiversus. I wouldn't have bought it until Neo was in the game because it's a platform fighter, but because it was F2P I ended up trying it out and to my surprise I'm actually enjoying it.

The only reason I'm not going crazy over a F2P model is because people have to be realistic about the production values they expect from these games and understand you can't make something that looks like SF6 or MK11 and not get an immediate return on investment. I'm a fan of Project L's artstyle, but graphically it's not as impressive as SF6, MK11, or Strive. Also, like the other person said, you can't expect a plethora of single player modes for a F2P fighting game if that's the number 1 thing you want. I think the model is a good idea for some fighting games if they have a good monetization model, but not every single fighting game needs to be F2P.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Anyway Multiversus (and Brawlhalla before that) is the proof that you need solid single player content to succeed. Right ?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Will this be Riot's first game they try and make for consoles? Or are they going to stick with PC only for this?

Technically Wild Rift is still supposed to hit Consoles.

Though Riot Published games set in the League universe have already shown up on console (Ruined King for example).

Mesoian

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 28, 2017
Anyway Multiversus (and Brawlhalla before that) is the proof that you need solid single player content to succeed. Right ?

I mean, if you follow WB's own wording to the letter, if you're under 13, you shouldn't be playing the game at all, and if you're under 17, you should only be playing offline and single player content of which there is currently none. So...

Ruined King is on consoles.

Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017

I imagine that most people advocating for F2P have actually played them before and know not to expect that stuff. The expectation is that if there is any sizable PVE content, it'll be paid. That's how Fortnite, Hearthstone, Halo Infinite, Starcraft 2, and the upcoming Overwatch 2 work. In Legends of Runeterra, the devs floated around the idea of having paid PVE content, and the general response from the community was "yeah that makes sense."

You'll notice there's very little complaining about how Multiversus doesn't have any single-player content. There's some about how 3 player sucks, but that's a separate thing. The overwhelming majority of people are ok with anemic/nonexistent PVE content in their F2P games, or for it to be paid if it does exist. Maybe there's a handful of people who expect MK11 levels of content in a F2P game, but those people are clowns and don't represent most people asking for F2P. Almost everyone advocating for more single-player content or F2P are not expecting both of those things to be in the same game unless they're people who have literally never played a F2P game before or just want free shit.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like if you are making a fighting game you have to be on consoles.
Ehh. This game is much more likely to launch on consoles than their other games but it's more because of how functionally similar fighting games are on PC and consoles (unlike Valorant and LoL which need to have people hired to specific teams reworking them), than needing to be on consoles for the audience or something like that. PC as a platform is only getting bigger for fighting games, with some recent releases having more players on PC than consoles and the LoL and general Riot audience isn't on console. I do think the game will launch on console at the same time as PC but I wouldn't be shocked if it doesn't.

Jul 22, 2022
Well, SF5 exists and it was not F2P. It launched in...an incompete way.

The main reasoning behind going F2P is to have the healthy community and support. No matter how good fighting games launch, they lose the community leaving only experts and when hype dies out, new folks won't enter the game because you need to pay for it. They also won't be willing to pay the upfront cost for the game - but if they paid for the in-game content, they are more likely to stick to the game. It is basically the whole economy behind F2P games (and why I believe sports game will eventually pivot to that, maybe to Game Pass launches too like MLB) - you give the free access to as many people as possible in hope that they spend some in-game money and stick to the game (sunk cost).

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Again, being free to play allows them to get away with little-to-no single-player content. But you still need it if you're going to charge full price.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Yep, SF5 launch was a perfect example...
Correct, SFV was (rightfully) crucified at launch for its lack of content. It took years for Capcom to claw that game up to success, hence why they're bending over backwards to make sure none of those mistakes are repeated with SF6.

Project L & MultiVersus won't force EVERY fighting game to go F2P, but it will force those who choose to continue charging full price to truly justify the price tag with content. Also the two games mentioned will push cross-play further as the norm, but SF6/Strive/etc. show that this is happening already (albeit slowly). If anything, I'm worried about Tekken 8 (& Soul Calibur VII, whenever that happens) in the wake of all this, given Harada's instance to not adopt true rollback netcode.

Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
More info about this might come out through the weekend, (as in what I'm about to say, not info on the game itself) but a bunch of senior Project L employees have gone to EVO and have apparently shown off the game to some people and have also done a TO meet and greet with some of the TOs at the event. While I imagine this is probably more of display of solidarity with the FGC than being a major attempt at getting feedback, it's still a nice gesture. It's possible some other info might come out (again talking about community outreach, not actual game info) through the weekend.

OP
OP
Biosnake

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
More info about this might come out through the weekend, (as in what I'm about to say, not info on the game itself) but a bunch of senior Project L employees have gone to EVO and have apparently shown off the game to some people and have also done a TO meet and greet with some of the TOs at the event. While I imagine this is probably more of display of solidarity with the FGC than being a major attempt at getting feedback, it's still a nice gesture. It's possible some other info might come out (again talking about community outreach, not actual game info) through the weekend.
giphy.gif

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
I've always thought Illaoi had a cool design, but I absolutely hate playing against her. Happy she made it in.

Fingers crossed Sett makes it. I think he's a natural choice for a fighting game.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I mean, if you follow WB's own wording to the letter, if you're under 13, you shouldn't be playing the game at all, and if you're under 17, you should only be playing offline and single player content of which there is currently none. So...

Ruined King is on consoles.

I think Samalis meant the actual Riot, Ruined King is helmed by their third party division... something like that.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I don't play League.

I did try out Ruined King (the aRPG) and it was pretty good though I didn't get far.

Ezreal and Yasuo are the only male characters I like, design wise I think. And Viego / Yasuo's brother.

Female characters are almost all sick though.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's going to be a success just off the League IP and Riot knowing how to establish and maintain a competitive scene better than any devs in the industry.

It's hard to think of a bigger IP than League in the current landscape of gaming.
It's still a fighting game. Time will have to tell.

Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
Sort of an update, firstly as is inferred that I didn't post earlier the rest of EVO was mostly a wash for Project L news, all the stuff I saw was posted here on the Friday of EVO week. There's been a couple hirings for senior positions going on as per usual, but the main thing I found was interesting was an article that was actually posted about Riot's card game Legends of Runeterra as I found it a fairly interesting companion piece for the Illaoi article that Project L released.

The article in question is here. In short it talks about how they try to capture the essence of a champion in a different medium, which I think has some interesting parallels for Project L. The later bits of the article (largely the bits where they talk about creating Viego and Akshan) mostly focuses on LoR cards and is kinda incomprehensible if you don't play the game, but the first bit of it I think reflects what we've already seen a bit in the movesets we've seen in Project L. Some of the bits I think are more interesting:

"Our most pivotal endeavor is bringing existing champions to life in a way that feels true to their character. Champions in LoR are not simply 1:1 ports based on their kits in League. As a card game, we have separate needs and exploration spaces than our MOBA counterpart. But we also want to stay aligned with each champion's Runeterran Truths. We aspire to recreate characters of Runeterra by representing them based on their most identifiable and beloved aspects, which make up what we call their "Champion Resonance"ā€”how much a champion feels like themselves. To achieve these aspirations, Game Designers like myself work in tandem with our "DNA" team (designers, narrative writers, and artists)."

"We want Champions to look, feel and act the way players know they should. What makes Teemoā€¦ Teemo across products are what we consider his Runeterran Truths. These truths manifest both through his lore and gameplay, but also through the emotions and fandom of how our players experience them in our games. Then, we like to go even further whenever possible, and explore unique LoR mechanics that add onto a champion's legacy."

"When recreating champions in another game, game designers must determine what parts of them will be the most iconic. Personally, I like to begin by figuring out whether their champion resonance is based more on their Character Thematics or their Gameplay Mechanics. Thematics are the themes, ideas, and story that define them. Mechanics are the abilities and playstyle they have in League."

"For example, while working on the design team for the Mount Targon Expansions (led by Shawn "Eyebrow Poro" Main), we knew we needed to include everyone's favorite space dragon, Aurelion Sol! During development, our research indicated that Aurelion Sol players identified more with his thematic than his gameplay. A celestial dragon who can shift the cosmos and forge stars was more compelling than the specifics of his abilities in League."

"For each champion we ask players: "In your opinion, what characteristics do you think best define them?" We scrub the data and create a word cloud with top responses. For Nasus, nearly all of the feedback was centered around his Siphoning Strike, farming, and stacking. Take a look!"

Champion_Identity_Set_4.jpg

Nasus' most resonant characteristics were his gameplay mechanics​

Now, obviously porting a character into a Fighting Game is different from a Card Game. The cards in LoR can't have too many mechanics because their rules are explained by text that has to fit the card templating and people don't want to read a novel every time they see a new card, but at the same time there's lots of creative and evocative stuff you can do in a card game that isn't really possible in a MOBA, such as Aurelon Sol being able to create a wide variety of constellations that he can play. Fighting Games are closer in concept to a MOBA, but even with the game having 1 button specials and it looks like 3 normal buttons, characters will still have to do far more in Project L than they do in LoR or LoL just to fill out their moveset.

But what we've seen in Project L so far goes beyond just expanding their League moveset. I think a great example is Ekko, who we've gotten the most info for so far. None of his abilities in League really have an obvious version on Project L that's just 1-to-1 ported over. His Timewinder Grenade and Chronobreak do exist, but Timewinder doesn't get pulled back to him, gets stronger the farther it's travelled, and can be interacted with using other parts of his kit. Chronobreak, or his ability to rewind back to a previous position, was his ultimate ability in League but it's the core focus of his offense in Project L and behaves differently as it travels back to a point that he has to set up first rather than just always going back 4 seconds. And there doesn't seem to be anything similar to his passive, W, or E. Across the other characters we've seen, it's been mostly a similar deal: some moves are left out, while others are used but heavily tweaked to fit into the moveset that they've come up with.

Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
EDIT: THE INTERPRETATION THAT SOME PEOPLE HAVE ON THE QUOTE IS THAT IT IS TALKING ABOUT FIGHTING GAMES IN GENERAL, NOT UDYR IN A FIGHTING GAME. AS SUCH, THIS IS NO LONGER CONFIRMED AND PERSONALLY I THINK THAT DUE TO THE TIMELINE OF EVENTS IT MAKES MORE SENSE THAT IT IS NOT TRUE. SORRY FOR THE JEBAIT

So this was posted a couple months ago, but was noticed earlier today. In the article they posted before Udyr's VGU officially released, they talked about his design process. This is the article in question. The quote I'm drawing attention to is about 2/3rds down the page and is this:

> "The team also reimagined Udyr's VFX to convey his power and personality, taking inspiration from Udyr's tattoos, his Legends of Runeterra card illustrations, and fighting game VFX."

To be clear, there's no other currently known product/project being worked on by Riot that fits the description of a fighting game. The only logical thing they could be talking about is Project L. Ergo, this more or less confirms Udyr.

For those not familiar with League, you can read the article as it talks about him. But in short he's sort of a Shaman that channels the spirit of the Freljordian (cold region) demigods to assist him in battle. Some of those demigods are themselves champions in League, some are made up for his kit. Essentially though he's a stance change character who can swap between 4 forms which each have their own properties and augment his melee attacks. He's overall a pretty solid pick for a fighting game character as his stance change gimmick is conceptually very interesting, but in League it's pretty basic and he has historically actually been one of the simpler characters in the game. In a fighting game though there's a lot more room to flesh out each of the stances which could end up making him one of the more complicated characters in the game.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2020
So this was posted a couple months ago, but was noticed earlier today. In the article they posted before Udyr's VGU officially released, they talked about his design process. This is the article in question. The quote I'm drawing attention to is about 2/3rds down the page and is this:

> "The team also reimagined Udyr's VFX to convey his power and personality, taking inspiration from Udyr's tattoos, his Legends of Runeterra card illustrations, and fighting game VFX."

To be clear, there's no other currently known product/project being worked on by Riot that fits the description of a fighting game. The only logical thing they could be talking about is Project L. Ergo, this more or less confirms Udyr.

For those not familiar with League, you can read the article as it talks about him. But in short he's sort of a Shaman that channels the spirit of the Freljordian (cold region) demigods to assist him in battle. Some of those demigods are themselves champions in League, some are made up for his kit. Essentially though he's a stance change character who can swap between 4 forms which each have their own properties and augment his melee attacks. He's overall a pretty solid pick for a fighting game character as his stance change gimmick is conceptually very interesting, but in League it's pretty basic and he has historically actually been one of the simpler characters in the game. In a fighting game though there's a lot more room to flesh out each of the stances which could end up making him one of the more complicated characters in the game.
I mean it would make sense, he is already a stance character and his aesthetic matches a fighting game well.

Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
EDIT: Ok, so I Jebaited everyone accidentally. As I've pointed out with the edit on my initial post, it is possible that the statement is talking about fighting game vfx, not Udyr's vfx in fighting games. Due to the timeline of game development, I think this is a much more likely interpretation. Udyr's VGU was an extremely long process, and there was several updates talking about the progress. One important one was this last January where they actually talked about this exact thing:

> "Fighting games have always been a genre where you can express individual mastery over a character and its matchups. When I looked at Udyr's new gameplay, I immediately thought of that individual character skill expression you'd find in a fighting game. His stances have different use casesā€”Bear Stance is great against certain champions in a 1v1 duel, Phoenix Stance is great in an AoE situation, and so on.

I picture an Udyr player knowing when it's the right time to use the optimal stance, and that being the thing that differentiates between a good Udyr player and a great Udyr player. He's an incredibly versatile and flexible championā€”exactly the type of character I'd want in a fighting game.

But fighting games and League are two different games with two different types of VFX. Where's the happy medium?"

As far as I can tell, this guy still works for League and not Project L. So yeah, although this one guy in particular at Riot really thinks Udyr is a really cool fighting game character, he's not on the team making the game so his word isn't gospel or anything. In addition to that, if Udyr in Project L's development was so far along that they had working VFX to the point where it could be used as a reference for his League VGU, then he would have been far enough along that they could have shown him off during their pre-evo dev diary. So yeah, this is a false alarm, sorry for the confusion. I'll keep the original reply for completion's sake.

don't know much about LOL, but he looks cool...
082322_Making_Spiritguard_Udyr_Banner.jpg
041822_ChampionRoadmapApril2022_04_SpiritGuardUdyr_01-1024x315.jpg
082322_spiritguard_udyr_WEB.jpg
172118928213158317c149b939354f36.jpg
8f8361ab93b12aceb35c2df8cd385e02--character-concept-character-art.jpg

To be clear, all that art is for an Udyr skin called Spirit Guard Udyr. Almost all skins are non-canon and aren't used as the design for when they're brought into spinoffs. This is what Udyr will likely look like in Project L:
Udyr_0.jpg

This is his Legends of Runeterra design, was designed first so might be outdated:

a5d50fba-udyr-level-2-lor-splash.jpg

These are his forms in League. Keep in mind that League's visual fidelity is SUBSTANTIALLY lower than Project L's so it will look better in Project L, but these are vfx that are supposedly inspired by his PL VFX:
08232022_UdyrVGUArticle_09ClawStance.gif
%5D.gif
08232022_UdyrVGUArticle_11StampedeStance.gif
08232022_UdyrVGUArticle_12StormStance.gif

Last edited:

Onyxxx

Jun 21, 2022
EDIT: Ok, so I Jebaited everyone accidentally. As I've pointed out with the edit on my initial post, it is possible that the statement is talking about fighting game vfx, not Udyr's vfx in fighting games. Due to the timeline of game development, I think this is a much more likely interpretation. Udyr's VGU was an extremely long process, and there was several updates talking about the progress. One important one was this last January where they actually talked about this exact thing:

> "Fighting games have always been a genre where you can express individual mastery over a character and its matchups. When I looked at Udyr's new gameplay, I immediately thought of that individual character skill expression you'd find in a fighting game. His stances have different use casesā€”Bear Stance is great against certain champions in a 1v1 duel, Phoenix Stance is great in an AoE situation, and so on.

I picture an Udyr player knowing when it's the right time to use the optimal stance, and that being the thing that differentiates between a good Udyr player and a great Udyr player. He's an incredibly versatile and flexible championā€”exactly the type of character I'd want in a fighting game.

But fighting games and League are two different games with two different types of VFX. Where's the happy medium?"

As far as I can tell, this guy still works for League and not Project L. So yeah, although this one guy in particular at Riot really thinks Udyr is a really cool fighting game character, he's not on the team making the game so his word isn't gospel or anything. In addition to that, if Udyr in Project L's development was so far along that they had working VFX to the point where it could be used as a reference for his League VGU, then he would have been far enough along that they could have shown him off during their pre-evo dev diary. So yeah, this is a false alarm, sorry for the confusion. I'll keep the original reply for completion's sake.

To be clear, all that art is for an Udyr skin called Spirit Guard Udyr. Almost all skins are non-canon and aren't used as the design for when they're brought into spinoffs. This is what Udyr will likely look like in Project L:
Udyr_0.jpg

This is his Legends of Runeterra design, was designed first so might be outdated:

a5d50fba-udyr-level-2-lor-splash.jpg

These are his forms in League. Keep in mind that League's visual fidelity is SUBSTANTIALLY lower than Project L's so it will look better in Project L, but these are vfx that are supposedly inspired by his PL VFX:
08232022_UdyrVGUArticle_09ClawStance.gif
%5D.gif
08232022_UdyrVGUArticle_11StampedeStance.gif
08232022_UdyrVGUArticle_12StormStance.gif
Potential Roster Leaks
would you be happy with this roster?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r27-wlkDjcI

Zookfoodle

Oct 25, 2017
If teemo can duck under every projectile im going to be a sad boy
But that potential roster looks great lots of different playstyles to explore

TheRyzzl

Oct 5, 2018
Man not one of the like 5 characters I wanted are there šŸ˜©

Kind of a safe boring roster imo. Kindred is the only stand out to me. Also Rhengar is cool but they should of added kha zix as well.