• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
The people who apparently don't notice the irony in wanting to brutally murder Abby in retaliation for killing someone they care about is at least somewhat amusing.

See you keep doing this, why? You call him an "asshole" or "monster." Acting like he was killing Ellie for shits and giggles and not because it could save countless others. It's not a fun thing to consider but it's also the zombie apocalypse, and the bleakness has made people desperate. What gives Joel any more right to kill these people, take away them from THEIR loved ones, other then "he's the protagonist so he MUST be right?"

I'm glad Joel dies frankly after he selfishly lied to Ellie just because he wouldn't get what HE wanted otherwise. It's been my biggest desire for a sequel ever since I beat the first game.

Did I miss the spoiler where Ellie isn't actually playable at all in this game?
He's an asshole because he didn't wake Ellie up.

It's murdering a child. Correct choice was to wake her up and ask her if she wanted to sacrifice herself to try making the cure.

Joel did nothing wrong.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States

It's murdering a child. Correct choice was to wake her up and ask her if she wanted to sacrifice herself to try making the cure.

Joel did nothing wrong.
That's something I've been meaning to mention. If Joel and the doctors in the room had a chance to discuss "Hey, can we just wait until she wakes up/wake her up to see how she feels about this?" it would be an entirely different story. But for the narrative to work towards the incredibly divisive ending; it had to go the way it went.

Lizzy

Oct 27, 2017
Oh I hope that doesn't happen.

Context is queen though, and unlike the goddess forsaken trash I've seen with the treatment of WLW characters (looking at you TR Reboot) this is a world where things are constantly trash and unless they do something like that is just clear Bury The Gay then I am trying to keep an open mind.

Plus if they do respect the character and treat her like a human I fully believe we will avoid that scenario and I pray they both live.
Honestly my main concern for the Last of Us Part 2 has always been Ellie's relationship with Dina, not that she would die.

*chants*

please don't break them please don't break them up please don't break them please don't break them up

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly my main concern for the Last of Us Part 2 has always been Ellie's relationship with Dina, not that she would die.

*chants*

please don't break them please don't break them up please don't break them please don't break them up
You have my voice in this chant, but I think we are in a good place for that thankfully.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ellie should spend at least a year weight training before she tries to run it back with Abby.

37PCYqi.png

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

*chants*

I think you mean please get back together cause in one of the vids you can say the broken up .
Ellie had a choice to make and she made it going after Abby.

isnt that what she does in THIS game?!

Truth is we not certain what she does in this game .
All we know for certain is late in the game after she get beat by abby she decide to go after her .
Still they are 2 more chapter afterwards so anything can happen there.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Ellie should spend at least a year weight training before she tries to run it back with Abby.
azE1wQh.jpg

She is well on her way and strikes me as a knife in the dark kind of person. She leaves ugly looking corpses behind though. David had it coming but I don´t think he had a face anymore after she was though with him. Don´t get on her bad side kids.
It would be interesting if both our leading ladies played way differently.

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
Seriously, Abby looks like she could rip Ellie in half. How'd she get so buff on an post apocalypse diet? Elk meat?

Years of hatred to motivate her, a dedicated workout regimen, and access to synthetic testosterone haha( like crossfit "athletes" and competitive body builders). Dont believe that "I'm natty" bullshit. Abby is Bane. We need a scene with her breaking Ellie over her knee.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
*Just for fun, amidst this dreariness:

The Last Of Us: Part II |OT| Loose Lips Sink Ships

The Last Of Us: Part II |OT| 8 Minute Abby

The Last Of Us: Part II |OT| Joel In One

The Last Of Us: Part II |OT| Joel Miller On The Golf Corpse

The Last Of Us: Part II |OT| Going Clubbing: With Joel Miller

The Last Of Us: Part II |OT| Ellie, You Really Are The Last Of Us

The Last Of Us: Part II |OT| Swinging A Golf Club Makes Me Abby

The Last Of Us: Part II |OT| Dont Worry Be Abby

The Last Of Us: Part II |OT| A Man Walks Into A Golf Club...

Last edited:

Vito

Oct 25, 2017
That's something I've been meaning to mention. If Joel and the doctors in the room had a chance to discuss "Hey, can we just wait until she wakes up/wake her up to see how she feels about this?" it would be an entirely different story. But for the narrative to work towards the incredibly divisive ending; it had to go the way it went.
Indeed and if Ellie would have wanted to go with it, I'm sure she would be able to convince Joel to let her.

Fireflies fucked up.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Joel did nothing wrong.
You know you'd almost have a point but you had to ruin it with that last line. Such a black and white view of a very dark gray world. The morally questionable tactics of the Fireflies(you act like this was all that one doctors idea, there a group multiple people would have to sign of on this. But I guess just blaming one person you're forced to kill makes it easier to make Joel look good) does not absolve Joel of the shirt he's done.

And yes Joel is wrong, ESPECIALLY when he lied to Ellie and continued to do so.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
The alt right media is having a field day with the leaks, holy shit they're straight up lying and twisting every fucking thing that leaked.

These people are sick.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Bane is indeed the best example here. Him in his 20s:

main-qimg-313fe76bcb482fa70f646729ef0fd882

There are story reasons for Negan being beefy in TWD comics but Jesus is also built like a tank in the realistic art before things got better and that comic is way more down to earth than TLoU. Being a natural hunter or living in a self-sustaining community combined with being fueled by pure hatred can absolutely produce a believable human hulk. Negan is twice as old as Abby and look at him:
3b897c51776c5e080782cb679d1eec86.jpg

His character journey was quite something to behond.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017

Joel did nothing wrong.
You keep focusing on the doctor yet ignoring that he executes Marlene.

She had empathy for him and put her gun down to give him a chance to make the right call and explain why his reasoning was faulty. She could have just blown his head off and been done with it. Instead Joel puts a bullet in her stomach and shows zero emotion when executing her while she begs for mercy.

Like I can at least get where people are coming from with the hospital raid and killing the doctor even if I don't think doing something for the greater good of humanity is immoral but what I don't understand is glossing over him murdering Ellies god mother with zero remorse and then lying to Ellie knowing full well she would never forgive him.

The only excuse you can come up with is "she deserves it" when she is the only one who could have murdered Joel but gave him a chance.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
As a Lesbian woman the fact is we are still playing as and getting Ellie for half of the game, and the fact is we do not want to have an invincible marry sue, so her having issues is okay if she is treated well.

Also given she survives, we don't know what Abby is as far as sexuality (which she could well be Bi/Pan/Ace or any number of things) and travels with a Trans Man LBGT representation is pretty damn good to the point I don't see how any of us can bitch on that front.

I don't know if it has ever been established if Abby is transgender, but is it possible the writers may make her transgender in order to innoculate themselves from any potential accusation of homophobia given that the climax involved the player taking down the lesbian co-lead in such a brutalizing manner?

In that context, Abby's murder of Joel allows Ellie a saving grace despite being the villain to Abby's portion of the story.

But all the same, ND is really going to have to work full time to make Abby's backstory count. ND will need to make Abby's loss matter as much to her as Joel's loss mattered to him in TLOU, and that is a truly daunting task when you're comparing an anonymous npc to a 12 year old girl. Twice so when you have to humanize an anonymous NPC retroactively in order to give Abby's motivation the moral heft it's going to require.

Last edited:

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know if it has ever been established if Abby is transgender, but is it possible the writers may make her transgender in order to innoculate themselves from any potential accusation of being so given that the climax involved the player taking down the lesbian co-lead in such a brutalizing manner?

In that context, Abby's murder of Joel allows Ellie a saving grace despite being the villain to Abby's portion of the story.

But all the same, ND is really going to have to work full time to make Abby's backstory count. ND will need to make Abby's loss matter as much to her as Joel's loss mattered to him in TLOU, and that is a truly daunting task when you're comparing an anonymous npc to a 12 year old girl. Twice so when you have to humanize an anonymous NPC retroactively in order to give Abby's motivation the moral heft it requires.
Oh Abby isn't Transgender, well as far as I know.

Abby has a partner/travel buddy like Ellie and Joel has each other and that person is a Transgender Man.

Jun 22, 2019
The transgender Abby stuff is infuriating - it's just alt-right dickwads doing their old "that's a man's chest and shoulders!" routine.

Vito

Oct 25, 2017
You keep focusing on the doctor yet ignoring that he executes Marlene.

She had empathy for him and put her gun down to give him a chance to make the right call and explain why his reasoning was faulty. She could have just blown his head off and been done with it. Instead Joel puts a bullet in her stomach and shows zero emotion when executing her while she begs for mercy.

Like I can at least get where people are coming from with the hospital raid and killing the doctor even if I don't think doing something for the greater good of humanity is immoral but what I don't understand is glossing over him murdering Ellies god mother with zero remorse and then lying to Ellie knowing full well she would never forgive him.

The only excuse you can come up with is "she deserves it" when she is the only one who could have murdered Joel but gave him a chance.
Did we watch the same scene? He clearly shows emotion when he shoots her the first time and when he turns to face her after leaving Ellie on the car.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
And if everything else fails then to this for 2 decades. Grind the grain Abby!:
giphy.gif
tumblr_pi46rxGGXs1sqf5tdo3_400.gifv
tumblr_pi46rxGGXs1sqf5tdo2_400.gifv

John Milius and Arnie get into this in the film´s LEGENDARY DVD commentary:
www.youtube.com

Arnold Schwarzenegger and John Milius' Conan The Barbarian Commentary

The best of the legendary DVD commentary provided by Arnold and Valkyrie lover Milius for Conan the Barbarian (1982).

Another waste. We kill so much beauty in this movie. John Milius Neil Druckmann, 2020.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Oh Abby isn't Transgender, well as far as I know.

Abby has a partner/travel buddy like Ellie and Joel has each other and that person is a Transgender Man.

How significant is this Yara character going to be? And is it possible that the pairing of Abby and Yara in the second portion of the game serves as the moral and themetic inverse of Joel and Ellie from TLOU1 and TLOU2 to a lesser extent?

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How significant is this Yara character going to be? And is it possible that the pairing of Abby and Yara in the second portion of the game be to serve as the moral and themetic inverse of Joel and Ellie from TLOU1?
None of us know the answers to any of that.

We have context for some of Abby's back story And we know that she is motivated by hatred and revenge for what was taken for her.

Moment to moment, bonds she builds, how well they are written we have almost nothing on. The spoilers are not by any means all inclusive and we are still largely in the dark about the flow and quality of the story and depth it has.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
I want an edit of this on my desk by Monday!
7B7DC603-6EE4-40A5-9516-15D3A784B738.gif

Chris can falcon punch heads off, even in RE7. So we better see some shit. If there was ever a game for QTEs then make it THIS.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
You know I find it it funny that so many people question whether or not Abby can realistically be this muscular when no one questioned this absolute monster of a man:
lJjKmV3.gif

dude's as big as the mountain from GoT lmao

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Did we watch the same scene? He clearly shows emotion when he shoots her the first time and when he turns to face her after leaving Ellie on the car.
When he shoots her in the head he doesn't hesitate at all. He just says "you would only come after her" and shoots. Marlene is begging for mercy and if they wanted to show Joel feeling guilty they would have him at least be less cold before doing it.

I've said it multiple times. I love Joel and Ellie. I know Joel is awful for what he did but the way he developed as the story went on and learned to care for Ellie like a daughter was my favourite part of the game.

It's difficult to separate the love for the character when discussing his actions and I get that but we can sympathize with his reaction while still condemning what he did especially to Marlene. I can also see the other sides perspective for why he deserves to be killed. This is why TLOU is a complicated world and story.

Like lets look at Abby and what we know so far. I think Abby is justified to kill Joel but I don't think he deserved to be beaten to death. It's these things that make the game more interesting rather than just someone being good and someone being bad.

I think what is going to be most important is how they finalize the story for Ellie. I don't agree with people thinking she should view Joel as trash. He did what he did because he loves her. I do however think she should come to understand he did something very wrong and choose to leave Abby alone.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Oh, I noticed Crossing Eden. Those Seraphites are beefy. I wonder what or who they eat?
thelastofus.fandom.com

Seraphites

The Seraphites, colloquially called Scars, are a primitivist cult and antagonistic faction in The Last of Us Part II. They are currently at war with the Washington Liberation Front (WLF) for control of Seattle. The Seraphites began in the Lower Queen Anne suburb of Seattle between September 2013...

You know I find it it funny that so many people question whether or not Abby can realistically be this muscular when no one questioned this absolute monster of a man:
lJjKmV3.gif

dude's as big as the mountain from GoT lmao
I find it interesting that people, who are constantly talking about about muh artistic freedom over the titty witch from dragon's gate or quiet from metal gear are screaming about muh realism over buff muscle lady... it's almost like they hypocrites or something🙃😑

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I find it interesting that people, who are constantly talking about about muh artistic freedom over the titty witch from dragon's gate or quiet from metal gear are screaming about muh realism over buff muscle lady... it's almost like they hypocrites or something🙃😑
There's people who saw that post and thought to themselves:

"Men naturally can look like that during an apocalypse where everyone eats grows up half starving, especially the roaming bandits." 🙄

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I
None of us know the answers to any of that.

We have context for some of Abby's back story And we know that she is motivated by hatred and revenge for what was taken for her.

Moment to moment, bonds she builds, how well they are written we have almost nothing on. The spoilers are not by any means all inclusive and we are still largely in the dark about the flow and quality of the story and depth it has.

I see.

I've read some of the theories on Ellie's fate, and if she does in fact end up surviving, I wonder if ND could be employing the monomyth formula of breaking her down in order to set up a feud between her and Abby.

If that's the case, one has to wonder how much of Joel they'll end up imbuing onto Abby from both a themetic and gameplay standpoint. She already has her motivation. Her physicality is also more in line with Joel than Ellie. She's presumably going to be older than Ellie as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.