Status
Not open for further replies.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
This is probably the best game I've played with the worst story. I absolutely loved the original, but this one did nothing for me with its ham-fisted themes and bad pacing all over. The first one was masterclass storytelling, this one is just flat with an occasional highlight here and there. Overall it's incredibly dull and predictable, the ending was also weak as fuck and completely toothless. Left me feeling nothing, except some disappointment in it all.

The game is really good though, in terms of environments, exploration and combat. That was all top shelf stuff worth playing through again at some point.

Days Gone had better characters than this mess.

I don't have much to say to this because I haven't played Days Gone but I feel like you're purposefully going with a hyperbolic statement to get a reaction.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I've no clue what the story could possibly be for III but I'd hope it has Ellie traveling across the country. Seattle and California was super cool, it's really interesting seeing how every major city around the country has changed post the pandemic. Can you imagine what crazy shit is going down in the South? Up in Maine? This world has so many possible stories to tell.

Video Kojima

Banned
Apr 5, 2020
This is probably the best game I've played with the worst story. I absolutely loved the original, but this one did nothing for me with its ham-fisted themes and bad pacing all over. The first one was masterclass storytelling, this one is just flat with an occasional highlight here and there. Overall it's incredibly dull and predictable, the ending was also weak as fuck and completely toothless. Left me feeling nothing, except some disappointment in it all.

The game is really good though, in terms of environments, exploration and combat. That was all top shelf stuff worth playing through again at some point.

You feel Days Gone has better characters. It's just your opinion. It's not fact, now is it? :)

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
I have another LP to recommend to those who enjoy them. This will be released very slowly over time and the channel is very little known. But if you are interested in thoughtful engagement and clearly expressed praise and criticism, watch the first episode through to the end and you'll understand you're in good hands.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
And that's the point. Joel denied Ellie the choice. He took away her agency. He didn't save Ellie for Ellie, he saved her for himself. It was a purely selfish act, and Ellie knows this, which is why she's so angry at him when she finds out the truth. At no point is Joel in the right, thoughout that entire decision. From the moment he learns that Ellie must die for the cure to be created, all of his actions are objectively 'wrong' for anyone but himself. Fair enough, given the trauma of Sarah's death, but anybody trying to claim any of Joel's actions were altruistic, heroic or selfless is just plain wrong.

No. I meant the Fireflies didn't give Ellie the choice.

Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait ⇄ Leeds, England
I don't have much to say to this because I haven't played Days Gone but I feel like you're purposefully going with a hyperbolic statement to get a reaction.
I can't say I have felt the same for the Days Gone characters then again they cannot be compared because we got a whole other TLOU game that this is building upon so there is no comparison. I will say it does a couple of interesting things narrative wise but they happen way too late, somewhere in the last 3rd of the game.

But also like the performances, animation and overall production quality in TLOU 2 might as well be in another dimension. The little touches ND put in their games always add up and it is what I remember when I finish their games and distance myself from it. None of that can be found in DG that's for sure.

Video Kojima

Banned
Apr 5, 2020
I've no clue what the story could possibly be for III but I'd hope it has Ellie traveling across the country. Seattle and California was super cool, it's really interesting seeing how every major city around the country has changed post the pandemic. Can you imagine what crazy shit is going down in the South? Up in Maine? This world has so many possible stories to tell.
Here's something:

Ellie wants to redeem herself and save the world. She knows a cure will kill her, but she's got nothing to live for now.

Ellie decides to find a doctor who can make a vaccine. She travels from West back to East.

Kaloskatoa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Hey I didn't like the story either, but saying the characters are bad is a bit silly dude. I didnt like the story and the pacing of it, but all characters are suberbly written and acted.

Here's something:

Ellie wants to redeem herself and save the world. She knows a cure will kill her, but she's got nothing to live for now.

Ellie decides to find a doctor who can make a vaccine. She travels from West back to East.

I actually think she should try Cuba.

Its: A) An island with restricted access, so they had much better chances of containing the epidemic.

B) A place with World Class doctors and health system.

C) Close enough to the US that she could try getting any functioning boat in florida and be able to get there.

Video Kojima

Banned
Apr 5, 2020
Do you really feel the need to point out the painfully obvious? :) How do opinions on forums work?
It's the only power I have.
Hey I didn't like the story either, but saying the characters are bad is a bit silly dude. I didnt like the story and the pacing of it, but all characters are suberbly written and acted.

I actually think she should try Cuba.

Its: A) An island with restricted access, so they had much better chances of containing the epidemic.

B) A place with World Class doctors and health system.

C) Close enough to the US that she could try getting any functioning boat in florida and be able to get there.
YES!

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I can't say I have felt the same for the Days Gone characters then again they cannot be compared because we got a whole other TLOU game that this is building upon so there is no comparison. I will say it does a couple of interesting things narrative wise but they happen way too late, somewhere in the last 3rd of the game.

But also like the performances, animation and overall production quality in TLOU 2 might as well be in another dimension. The little touches ND put in their games always add up and it is what I remember when I finish their games and distance myself from it. None of that can be found in DG that's for sure.

Yeah I've heard the game is very slow. I'm assuming the budget for TLOU 2 is probably triple what DG is too so any graphical comparisons are gonna be tough. I'm sure there are people out there that love DG and its characters and I guess I shouldn't be so dismissive just felt that person was looking for a reaction haha

Nah, they're both character driven post apocalyptic zombie games, so it was an easy comparison. I like one a lot better than the other in terms of characters.

Fair enough.

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why does everyone call the big hospital boss when playing as Abby Rat King?How did it get that name?

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that she can and will go back to Jackson. It's really difficult. She has to face Tommy and tell him that she let Abby go and i don't know if that's good for him ^^.
But i would really like to see that Dina knows she is still alive, i think that would be enough.
I just want Ellie to be safe. I don't want her to go around out there in the wilderness. She's been through enough. Give our poor girl a break huhu.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
Why does everyone call the big hospital boss when playing as Abby Rat King?How did it get that name?

Probably just the definition of "rat king" The boss seemed like infected fused together.

"A rat king is a collection of rats whose tails are intertwined and bound together by one of several possible mechanisms, such as entangling material like hair or sticky substances like sap or gum or getting tied together."

Edit: Oh apparently it was named that in the model viewer.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Here's something:

How about the virus within Ellie mutates and she now has new abilities. Might even grow back her fingers lol

kris.

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

That's what the character model is called in the model viewer. Plus it makes sense, bunch of infected fused together just like a rat king is a bunch of rats tangled together.

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Taken straight from the Model/Character Viewer in-game.
Its called the rat king in the model viewer in the "extras" on the main screen
That's what the character model is called in the model viewer. Plus it makes sense, bunch of infected fused together just like a rat king is a bunch of rats tangled together.

Probably just the definition of "rat king" The boss seemed like infected fused together.

"A rat king is a collection of rats whose tails are intertwined and bound together by one of several possible mechanisms, such as entangling material like hair or sticky substances like sap or gum or getting tied together."

Edit: Oh apparently it was named that in the model viewer.

Thanks i didn't know about this

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
Oh, absolutely. Death Stranding was even worse and I was really embarassed at some scenes because everything was so dumb and characters were spouting dumb exposition shit nonstop.

My problem with TLOU II is that it tries some good things: playing as the "antagonist", making the player face that the MC is a violent stupid being etc... I don't like that the main plot is mostly about dumb revenge but I can understand what they tried. As I said before my problem is that they decided to spam "special moments" to the player all the time, specially as flashbacks, ruining not only the pacing but also the amazing feeling that is putting all the pieces together and understanding the character thanks to small, subtle details or conversations.
This is where I'm at as well. The story decisions like killing Joel, making Abby a protagonist etc are all fine, but it felt like the game tried way too hard in trying to provoke emotions and wasn't at all subte about it. I get that if you did feel those emotions the game was trying hard to make you feel, that the game is a masterpiece to you. To me a lot of the times those moments felt like they didn't always fit the time and place and were way too much on the nose. From the guitar moment, the zebra flashback, the Alice forced fetch interaction, the toybow gun mini game etc. They were just way too obvious in what they were trying to go for.

The one thing I always appreciated about ND is their simple stories with top notch execution. With this game the execution of the story felt like a step back to me.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I've heard the game is very slow. I'm assuming the budget for TLOU 2 is probably triple what DG is too so any graphical comparisons are gonna be tough. I'm sure there are people out there that love DG and its characters and I guess I shouldn't be so dismissive just felt that person was looking for a reaction haha

Fair enough.
I love days gone and its characters, you can go look at tons of my posts defending it....and tlou2 is miles above.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
So the place where the truce was broken is the truck with the shrine in it right? The martyr gate. I'm guessing that's where she died? I thought that was pretty cool. I really wanted more Seraphite stuff.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
I've been watching some LoU 1 videos, and the person they modeled Dina's face after has a playthrough. First game she ever played, apparently. Her reaction to the Fall/Sam and Henry moment is pretty strong lol

youtu.be

Dina plays TLOU: highlights p6

This one got me.Socials~insta: cascinactwit: casscar35spotify: cascinahave the best day~c

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
The one thing I always appreciated about ND is their simple stories with top notch execution. With this game the execution of the story felt like a step back to me.
Yep, I played TLOU I a month or so before this one and it has a far better story. The ending is the conclusion of everything the game builds slowly but subtely, the giraffe moment feels special because is the only moment like this in the game. Characters like Tess dying has some impact because only a few relevant characters die.

Of course the gameplay in TLOU II is better, but the story execution and editing is quite worse and it's a shame.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I have another LP to recommend to those who enjoy them. This will be released very slowly over time and the channel is very little known. But if you are interested in thoughtful engagement and clearly expressed praise and criticism, watch the first episode through to the end and you'll understand you're in good hands.
I watched every episode of his Witness playthrough, probably best lp I've seen. He's great.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
Am I doing something wrong with IMGUR or is it just a pain in the ass these embedded vids always want to take me to the app, and now I deleted that, to the bloody website. Any way to change that behaviour on here? iPhone 11 iOS 13.

No, it's not just you. If I'm posting an .mp4 file I have to use the imgur embed unfortunately. Sorry bout that!

This game's animations will not be topped for many years. It's fucking insane how gorgeous they are.

Hell, TLOU1's animations still hold up insanely well to me, so this is gonna age brilliantly imo. It looks incredible which is one of many reasons why I love GIF'n it.

kLfnVRs.gif

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
I just beat TLOUII.

What was it that some people hated so much about it before the game came out?

I finally lifted my media blackout since i beat the game too and apparently its partly because Joel dies.

lmaooo i don't get how people didn't consider that option. I don't think there is literally any other reason Ellie would venture out on a 'Revenge' tour theme to Seattle. Everyone suspected when one of the initial trailers first came out that it was either Dina or Joel.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I finally lifted my media blackout since i beat the game too and apparently its partly because Joel dies.

lmaooo i don't get how people didn't consider that option. I don't think there is literally any other reason Ellie would venture out on a 'Revenge' tour theme to Seattle. Everyone suspected when one of the initial trailers first came out that it was either Dina or Joel.
Yea...and you can look around the internet and see tons that wanted it to be Dina. Combine that with how people reacted to the e3 2018 trailer...and well...

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
I've been watching some LoU 1 videos, and the person they modeled Dina's face after has a playthrough. First game she ever played, apparently. Her reaction to the Fall/Sam and Henry moment is pretty strong lol

youtu.be

This one got me.Socials~insta: cascinactwit: casscar35spotify: cascinahave the best day~c

Wow she looks A LOT like Dina. Like often when I google someone who was the face model for a character its just like... similar? But this is spot on.

Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait ⇄ Leeds, England

From what I gathered it was also the way in which he died lol.

"my man didn't have to go out like that come onnn, y'all did him dirty! No respect!"

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

youtu.be

Yeah, her whole playthrough is great. And her channel really blew up over it. When she started playing she had around 40k subscribers, and that was really spurred by people finding out she was Dina's face model. Now it's at 108k.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Never got spoiled. Just finished it. Amazing game. Story was great didn't mind playing as Abby for half the game.

Joel did the right thing and now she understands where he was coming from.

Definitely will play again.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Phew.

Also, nice short, sweer, casual spoiler review.

Much

Feb 24, 2018
Is that the slow mo accessibility feature??? Looks cool AF.

Yes! I love Naughty Dog, not just for their great stories and gameplay, but their accessibility options. Why does no ever developer enable things like slow motion in their games? It's sooooo useful for me anyway when making these. :D

Much

Feb 24, 2018

The detail is just beautiful to behold. May sound psychopathic, but seeing blood dripping on the walls in this game is something surreal. I don't think I've eve played a video game where the blood isn't 'static', but this is probably the first where it's dripping and such.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

youtu.be

Oh neat. Will refresh TLOU1's story with this. :p

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Just watched some clips of the Dina face model playing TLOU1 right before 2 came out. Cannot wait to see the vids of her playing that!!

It struck me... we really need a TLOU1 definitive remaster. Ok we don't really need it, but I think it would be nice to get the game visually up to the standard of 2 or beyond, thinking it would be an amazing PS5 project. Hopefully if we get a trilogy of games we might get this just before the third releases, so we have the full story at a super high and future proofed fidelity.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
And that's the point. Joel denied Ellie the choice. He took away her agency. He didn't save Ellie for Ellie, he saved her for himself. It was a purely selfish act, and Ellie knows this, which is why she's so angry at him when she finds out the truth. At no point is Joel in the right, thoughout that entire decision. From the moment he learns that Ellie must die for the cure to be created, all of his actions are objectively 'wrong' for anyone but himself. Fair enough, given the trauma of Sarah's death, but anybody trying to claim any of Joel's actions were altruistic, heroic or selfless is just plain wrong.

You forget that Ellie was just 14.... how can you ask a kid that age to decide something that would cost their life? Parents have say over their child till their 18 even, Joel was doing what her father would have done.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
So we've been to Boston, Colorado, Seattle, Santa Barbara, and Wyoming. I guess Texas too, but that's more of a set piece really. Where would you want the next game to take place? The cliche answer would be New York, but I wouldn't mind Ellie going to Texas or Louisiana.

Status
Not open for further replies.