AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Do any of the previews touch on the bury your gays trope? Has Naughty Dog said anything on that subject?

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Interesting that ND is focusing only on Ellie and her teammates at the moment, and I don't think they'll say/show anything about the flashbacks with possibly her mom until the game comes out. It might be their surprise.

Deleted member 47076

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 25, 2018

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, the first part of the demo is set before the events that 'trigger' Ellie and the second part is in Seattle a couple of hours later. We don't know what happened in the meantime and if Dina is still alive or not.

I tried to read the telegraph.co.uk preview where the headline implied they asked someone about the trope, but it had a paywall.

scrambledeggs

Apr 25, 2018
Nope, the first part of the demo is set before the events that 'trigger' Ellie and the second part is in Seattle a couple of hours later. We don't know what happened in the meantime and if Dina is still alive or not.
A couple of hours later? I was under the impression that the Seattle part would be a year after "the event".

BionicDreamer

Nov 6, 2017
Considering she's wearing Dina's bracelet and it is part of the collectors edition I have a hard time seeing how Dina is gonna turn out to be a villain.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Since the 2nd part is where Ellie is on her revenge spree, and Joel is clearly alive and trying to help. Obviously Joel wasnt killed and set her on her warpath.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
I tried to read the telegraph.co.uk preview where the headline implied they asked someone about the trope, but it had a paywall.

Sorry, I didn't read that preview, but Neil himself told when the demoes take place in an interview.

A couple of hours later? I was under the impression that the Seattle part would be a year after "the event".
It could be a year later in world of the game, but I meant a few hours into playing the game.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
While I want to play as Ellie 99.5% of the game, I do hope you switch to Joel just long enough to 2x4 a Seraphite scum in their dumb face. He's got that old man strength now so we're talking impact. I need to feel it.

Rockstar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
US

JsabtW.gif

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Considering she's wearing Dina's bracelet and it is part of the collectors edition I have a hard time seeing how Dina is gonna turn out to be a villain.
It's not like Ellie would learn the truth right away. But let's be real. Villain or not, Ellie will assume Dina is dead or has been taken, but she is totally alive. Their obvious attempts to imply the opposite with their misdirection makes me like 99% on that. Dina's role and exact status will be the question

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
100% buying the Dina betrayal/swerve. Druckmann is too aware to feed into the 'bury your gays' trope, and this is Part II

nDRdpCj.gif

Last edited:
Hoping and praying it's not a simple and straightforward as the previews and trailer makes the story out to be. That there is some serious misdirection involved.

If it really is, revenge just because Dina died I'm going to be massively disappointed.

The first game had such an incredible and often untouched theme in video games, the paternal bond between father and daughter and for some reason ND decides to do what every other video game story has done since the beginning of time? Kill the bad guys, hatred, revenge.

I trust them, of course, and they have earned the trust... but the way Neil describes it in the behind the scenes video doesn't get me excited at all.
It's not simple. Trust me... base on the previews: it seems thier's two events that happen between winter and spring/summer and the second event seems to kick off the revenge trip, so i'm Getting whatever happens there is gonna be bad.

Oct 25, 2017
From Newman
"Our AI now has a new state of awareness between complete awareness of your position and being totally unaware of where you are," he said. "We sometimes call it 'vague knowledge.' An enemy can see another enemy get killed by a silent weapon like the bow or our new crafted silencers that you can attach to the pistol, and they will infer from the direction that the arrow came from, 'I think it came from over there,' but they don't know your actual position. ...By having these kinds of more refined and nuanced layers of knowledge and perception and coordination, players can make better and better predictions, and make more refined strategies about what to do next."

Crazy

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I'll try to be as non-violent as possible. I liked when you could just get through certain sections of TLOU without having to kill anyone along the way. My view is that unless they are shown to be some bad dudes, like slavers, rapists, and/or just terrible bandit gangs, then I just want to leave them alone. They're just trying to live and survive, so I ain't gonna fuck with them. If the group in the second part of the demo are just protecting their territory and I'm trespassing, then I don't want to kill a single person.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if Ellie finally realizes why Joel did what he did 5 years ago with a similar experience of her own, or maybe they just won't touch on it at all.

Would be kinda lame, but cool to see that moment come full circle in a way.