Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I'm a fan of this. Great update.

I might return to the game sooner than expected. Had two playthroughs for the plat and was gonna leave it be for a while but I might reinstall to check these out.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
What does mirror mode and mirror on death mean?
Mirror mode is flipping the game background to the opposite side; left becomes right & right becomes left.

Mirror on death means the game will keep changing from normal to mirror mode to normal again and so on every time you die.

It's already a thing even in Uncharted series.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
That's an excellent update, really glad I held off replaying. I'm curious is 1 shot everything or just enemies? If everything I'll play the shit out of that, would be a lot of fun.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Exciting update, but I don't think I have it in me to play the story mode again.

Apr 27, 2020
Z7msAu7.png

A potential Clem cameo???? :O

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
There might be an issue with how Naughty Dog is choosing to implement gyro aiming.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
I already finished the game, so stuff like Infinite Ammo will be available immediately after the update or do I have to finish the game again on another difficulty first to gain access to those?

I guess that these modes are just added in the accessibility menu, but asking anyway.

TheBarrylad

Jul 13, 2020
I never finished Grounded Mode in TLOU1, so maybe this will be the time I finally do it. Part 2 playing so much better might make it more doable, although I found the lack of checkpoints the real killer before.

Can't wait to mess around with the other features too - sounds like the new accessibility stuff will make trophy/collectible hunting even more streamlined.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Glad I didn't start my second play through. A lot of the things in Grounded are what I wanted from Survivor in the first place.

Yaqza

Oct 27, 2017
What Anthony Newman mentions sounds really exciting. I barely used "listen mode" on my Hard playthrough, so I'm kind of used to listening to my environment, but getting rid of alert sounds etc. will make this game a different experience than it used to be.

LakeShore

Oct 28, 2017
I hit the halfway mark on my new game+ play through on the weekend. Mainly doing it for mopping up the trophies. Does anyone know if the added things to make the game 'easier' can be applied halfway through said new game+?

Would be nice to blast through the rest of this game now with the likes of infinite ammo and touch of death to finish the game, then start the 3rd play-through on grounded.

Yōkai_0h-No

Nov 20, 2018
There is way to much fluff - such as the walk and talk sections, for me to even consider a perma death play through.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Per chapter? Come on, go all out.

I don't think I'd be able to handle the rage. Going straight to full permadeath without throroughly testing Grounded beforehand sounds like extreme masochism.

Might make an attempt on this only after getting the new trophies :p

Btw it should be an instant platinum trophy for anyone who succeeds

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I have to play this game on Grounded... but I lent the game to a colleague and not sure when I'll get it back.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
idk about resourced being more scarce than survivor, you only had like 2 or 3 bullets per gun max on that mode.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I guess Kurt may have checked out Gyro Wiki going by him liking JibbSmart's tweet on why they should only use the gyroscope (JibbSmart's tweet had a link to Gyro Wiki).

Screen_Shot_2020-08-12_at_8.36.27_AM.png

OP
OP
SolidSnakex

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I guess Kurt may have checked out Gyro Wiki going by him liking JibbSmart's tweet on why they should only use the gyroscope (JibbSmart's tweet had a link to Gyro Wiki).

Screen_Shot_2020-08-12_at_8.36.27_AM.png

Kurt's really into the technical aspects of these features, so it wouldn't be surprising if the Gyro is handled in a much more advanced way than some are expecting. The reason the rumble in Part II is so good is because he saw a credit in MGS4 that listed a "Rumble Director", and so he became very interested in what that'd be. Expect some crazier shit on the PS5 given its feature set.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Kurt's really into the technical aspects of these features, so it wouldn't be surprising if the Gyro is handled in a much more advanced way than some are expecting. The reason the rumble in Part II is so good is because he saw a credit in MGS4 that listed a "Rumble Director", and so he became very interested in what that'd be. Expect some crazier shit on the PS5 given its feature set.
JibbSmart actually goes into further detail on the topic in Gyro Wiki.
JibbSmart said:
Back to the code. You may have expected something more complicated. I know I did when I was first writing JoyShockLibrary and JoyShockMapper. Some games will do something more complicated — they'll do something called "sensor fusion", combining a gravity vector from the accelerometer with the rotations from the gyro to know what's up and down. But I suggest not doing it for two reasons:

1. Sensor fusion can be complicated. Big commercial games that are otherwise extremely well made can apply it poorly. Super Mario Odyssey, for example, uses it for aiming a tank. But when playing with the JoyCons attached to the console, they're mostly pointing up. Pitching them further up to aim up in game makes the JoyCons upside down, and the game responds by aiming down instead. It's awful. The problem isn't intrinsic to sensor fusion — World of Goo does a much better job with it — but complicated solutions are prone to problems. Just keep it simple. Your mouse doesn't care if the user is upside down, lying on their side, or holding the mouse the wrong way, so why should the gyro?
  2. Sensor fusion is a compromise between two sensors that disagree with each other. If the player is moving for a lot of time and the game doesn't get a chance to get its bearings, this causes increasing errors in the game's interpretation of the player's input.
Caution! If you're considering using sensor fusion to use a real world orientation for your controls in-game, it's likely better that you don't. It's much more complicated, full of compromises, easy to do poorly, and unnecessary:
  • The mouse doesn't know its absolute position on the mousepad; the gyro doesn't need to know its absolute orientation.
  • Sensor fusion is great for VR, AR, manipulating 3D objects freely, but this isn't VR, this is a mouse.
Now, while games with standard mouse controls sometimes do additional work (mouse acceleration, smoothing, etc), it's always optional. Always. If the player can't reduce things to essentially the "core" above, these are bad mouse controls. Even if the changes have clear benefits, players have the reasonable expectation that they'll be able to have the cursor or aimer respond in linear proportion to their mouse input, without delay. This inspires some of the values of good gyro controls — simplicity and transferability. These controls are easy for players to understand, easy for developers to implement, and understandably form the basis for practically all games that benefit from a mouse-controlled cursor or aimer.

This should be equally true for gyro controls. As we continue, we're going to look at doing more than just our "core" above, but everything we add will be configurable and optional. These things will include acceleration, smoothing, and we'll look at speed thresholds (which are the devil's work, but some games have them, so let's look at them). If any game that uses the gyro to control a cursor or aimer has these features and they can't be disabled or configured to the point that they're truly negligible, that game has bad gyro controls. Even if they had my preferred acceleration settings and filters and did everything "right" from my subjective point of view (which they don't), they're still bad gyro controls if those settings and filters can't be disabled.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure this has been answered already... but are the 'grounded' difficulty options part of the customisable difficulty? As in could I theoretically have Grounded for most things and Hard for resource scarcity?

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Gyro aiming means like how splatoon does it right, does the ps4 controller support that level of fidelity on aiming with the controller like that?

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

WHAT? It does add gyro mode!?

Looks like there's a fair bit of smoothing applied. I'd imagine that this goes into what JibbSmart was saying in that the gyro should be used with no help from the accelerometer & be treated just like a mouse. Hopefully they fix this in a future update now that Kurt actually saw JibbSmart's tweet & likely Gyro Wiki.

Gyro aiming means like how splatoon does it right, does the ps4 controller support that level of fidelity on aiming with the controller like that?
The correct term is gyro-assisted aiming, but yes. And if anything, the DualShock 4's gyroscope is superior to the Switch's (making the lack of gyro aiming in PS4 games outside of one or two up until this point baffling).

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
What time does it go live tomorrow? Do we know?