• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Boxxy

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Digital is great. I wish Sony would release the game as planned. However Retail still accounts for a huge percentage of sales, and is also critical in driving preorders and premium SKUs (collectors editions etc). There is nothing outdated by considering retail as an important factor in the launch of a huge game.

Relics can be profitable, that doesn't mean it's not a relic. Pre-orders for premium editions can be ordered online and delivered.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
That would make it worse! You would have the PSN under constant pressure by downloading chunks daily for over 10 million users. In the current situation and with a game of this magnitude it just isn't a feasible option.

Imagine Sony does it, and the servers completely crash and go offline? It would be incredibly bad PR on top of extra costs to get everything up and running with the possibility of happening again.

You're just making stuff up. Games get massive updates all the time.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly? It's very possible at this rate.

And it doesn't even have to last the entire year to completely screw up manufacturing/shipping/launch logistics for months.

Watch Sony launching the game digitally in three months anyway when they realize this lol.
It Sony think people can buy the game may 2021, people will buy the game today digitally if there is an option

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
I suspect this is the first of many, many game delays this year due to Covid-19. I'm not buying that next gen consoles are even going to make it out this year. I'll be happy if Last of Us 2 makes it out in 2020, but won't be surprised if it's pushed back to 2021.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
If the U.S. had taken a more proactive approach in handling coronavirus like South Korea, would things have been different? Are other markets having difficulties the reason as well? Mid July is supposedly when this virus will take a dip only to resurge in the fall, and that will account for the U.S. alone. Does anyone know what the prospects are for the markets in the rest of the world?

Last edited:

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, that's a big shame.

Every local event is cancelled, people are in lockdown across the globe. People are reliant on forms of entertainment, like games and media, to keep going.

It's at this time that it's the time for mediums of entertainment that facilitate staying at home, really get to shine and both enterain long term players, as well as demonstrate their value to people who might not otherwise engage with them. In that sense, I think it's disappointing to see developers are delaying their releases away from this period.

Last edited:

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Physical hasn't stopped. You can still order physical and have it delivered right to your door.
The issue isn't necessarily delivery of physical games (though physical deliveries for non essential items at the moment will be delayed slightly), it's the delay on actually getting the discs themselves pressed, inserts printed and having the whole package put together, presumably because these places are closed due to COVID-19

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
I suspect this is the first of many, many game delays this year due to Covid-19. I'm not buying that next gen consoles are even going to make it out this year. I'll be happy if Last of Us 2 makes it out in 2020, but won't be surprised if it's pushed back to 2021.
If they're facing major challenges with software, hardware will be a nightmare if the situation doesn't improve dramatically. Man I really don't want a delay but it's not looking good for next gen consoles

Deleted member 4413

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week) - Unneeded Hostility
An entitled gamer in the flesh!

I'd love for the game to be released digitally too. But your tone combined with the concept of 'give people some hope' is so strange.

Fuck you. Seriously. Fuck you. You don't know what I'm going through right now. It's clear I'm not the only one having issues with this. I'm sure I'm not the only one whose mental state is fucking fucked.

I have people in the hospital dying of this shit right now. My entire household lost their jobs and my baby has been sick for the past three months and started running a fever this week. So SORRY for wanting some digital distraction to take me away from this shithole of a planet for a few hours.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Honestly, that's a big shame.

Every local event is cancelled, people are in lockdown across the globe. People are reliant on forms of entertainment, like games and media, to keep going.

It's at this time that it's the time for mediums of entertainment that facilitate staying at home, really get to shine and both enterain long term players, as well as demonstrate their value to people who might not otherwise engage with them. In that sense, I think it's disappointing to see developers aren't differing their releases away from this period.
We are going to be at record unemployment rates by june. Hell, I'm still working and I was planning on buying RE3, Doom Eternal, FFVII and Animal Crossing day one. I copped Doom Eternal but I'm not buying anything else right now for sure. It's gonna be even worse in 2 months as more people are laid off and everyone starts to realize life is not going back to normal for quite some time, as we find ourselves knee-deep in a massive global recession.

Sep 21, 2019
Best case scenario is a few weeks delay. I dont even want to talk about the worst

Amen because in the worst worst scenario we are all going to have SO much more to worry about than this.

I'm banking on a release in July or August if the situation in Italy, Spain, and China are any barometers to go by.

Worst case is we don't get a handle on this thing and it drags out for the rest of the year and beyond. Then we are all going to be in serious fucking trouble.

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
Physical hasn't stopped. You can still order physical and have it delivered right to your door.

We've already seen delays in physical game delivery.

What does this have to do with things? There are plenty of people that couldn't afford games at full price before COVID.

And that number has increased to a larger segment of otherwise potential customers, which is what it has to do with things.

We are in the thick of COVID right now. I was one of the 700K+ people that bough Doom on release for PC. What do you need me to think about? Not all devs are these devs and there are plenty that can't afford to not release their games. Especially when there are people still willing to buy while home.

My copy of Doom was delivered before things hit the fan. FF7R physical release is already negatively affected. As time goes forward I'm not seeing how TLOU2 wouldn't see worse on the physical side.

This is pretty strong speculation that there are developers out there with pockets deep enough like ND and Square to just not release their games, but with how some of you are talking, no one is going to be releasing anything going forward. I would take a 30 day ban bet that between April - Dec, other games will still be releasing.

Everyone will have their own strategy, yes.

Also, can you back up the 'more people with crap internet and low data cap' statement? I'm pretty sure gaming and streaming have been the highest it's ever been worldwide.

People still pay for 3mbps down plans at best in some places in the US.

UrbanDandy

Oct 25, 2017
One can only expect to accept delays for so so long. Unless ND releases a demo to make up for the non-appearance at PAX, or if they don't release another trailer or gameplay footage to keep the game relevant between now and whenever the game will b released later this year, for me, I'm just not going to buy this at launch.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How can people be so naive with the talks of "digital launch"? This is not about physical copies printing, this is about the economics around it.

"But but Animal Crossing and Doom Eternal just launched and were really sucessful commercially!"

Yeah, lets try that 2 months (May 29th) from now when everyone will be broke as hell without their jobs.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
One can only expect to accept delays for so so long. Unless ND releases a demo to make up for the non-appearance at PAX, or if they don't release another trailer or gameplay footage to keep the game relevant between now and whenever the game will b released later this year, for me, I'm just not going to buy this at launch.

OK.

Sep 21, 2019
Didn't both companies came out and say they are not delaying next gen consoles?

They said that, but Sony also said just a week or two ago that their production was on target with no anticipated delays.

So that means absolutely nothing. If COVID19 starts to reduce by fall, it might happen, but at this point I don't see P5 or X Series X releasing this year. No way.

Best case scenario is that we start getting the movies and games from March through June that were supposed to release during the second half of this year and 2021 is business as usual with launches of P5 and the new Xbox in spring or summer 2021.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
6 million unemployment claims were announced today by the government. Many people are going to have a hard time paying their rent this week.
Governments all of the world are announcing the renewal of quarantine guidelines for another 2-4 weeks.
Still think it's short sighted?

Its a complex issue and I don't disagree with what you're saying here. I do feel, though, that things a year from now are very likely to be worse, especially from the perspective of making money off of luxury goods. The US specifically is arguably barreling towards a depression right now. Almost everyone I know is unemployed now, and the only reason I'm still employed is because I've been job hunting since graduation for months and push carts at a Target.

A lot of people a month from now, even those recently unemployed, arguably might find themselves feeling like $60 worth of escapism is something they can justify. What happens by summer, when the amount of cases in the US has peaked and unemployment from so many businesses shuttering is peaking as well? What happens this fall/winter when we still don't have a vaccine and outbreaks start hitting again, as we've seen happen historically? When is the right time for Sony to release it then?

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Perfect opportunity for my OnlyFans to explore ASMR of TLoU fan lore.

Subscribe for a cool $9.99 per month.

Fuck you. Seriously. Fuck you. You don't know what I'm going through right now. It's clear I'm not the only one having issues with this. I'm sure I'm not the only one whose mental state is fucking fucked.

I have people in the hospital dying of this shit right now. My entire household lost their jobs and my baby has been sick for the past three months and started running a fever this week. So SORRY for wanting some digital distraction to take me away from this shithole of a planet for a few hours.
Hey there, I think stepping away from this thread will do you some good.

ReginaldXIV

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota

What does this have to do with things? There are plenty of people that couldn't afford games at full price before COVID.

We are in the thick of COVID right now. I was one of the 700K+ people that bough Doom on release for PC. What do you need me to think about? Not all devs are these devs and there are plenty that can't afford to not release their games. Especially when there are people still willing to buy while home.

I agree!

This is pretty strong speculation that there are developers out there with pockets deep enough like ND and Square to just not release their games, but with how some of you are talking, no one is going to be releasing anything going forward. I would take a 30 day ban bet that between April - Dec, other games will still be releasing.

Also, can you back up the 'more people with crap internet and low data cap' statement? I'm pretty sure gaming and streaming have been the highest it's ever been worldwide.

Back it up how?

https://broadbandnow.com/internet-providers-with-data-caps These are most if not all of the internet providers in just the US. They all have data caps, with the highest being 1 terabyte per month on the services with the most subscribers. 1 Terabyte isn't a lot when downloads are upwards of 80-120 GB and the average data usage per household per month is 120 GB (100 MB an hour): https://technology.informa.com/585869/connected-device-market-monitor-q2-2016 (2016 study)

Of course you can pay more for unlimited data, and it doesn't take in to account the recent temporary waiving of overage charges a lot of companies are implementing.

piratethingy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Those patches aren't "near essential" unless something is really wrong.

I assure you, you can stick Spider-man, or God of War into a PS4 and play those games without difficulty directly off the disc without ever being connected to the internet. I know this because I've done it, specifically on a road trip in a rented sprinter that happened to have a PS4 in the passenger compartment.

AAA game producers do have quality control, you know.

You (and the other person who quoted me) are right, I think I am letting the few rare times that games have had real problems hold too much weight in my mind.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah this is fine. If ou're lucky and stil have a job at launch there's still the entire history of games.

Someone edit ThisIsFine.png but with everyone's incomplete steam library instead of flames

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm seriously gonna cry, I get it given the current climate but god damnit this is such a bummer.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What will probably happen is the game will go gold shortly and they'll take 2-3 months to manufacture as many discs as they can, given the unfortunate logistical circumstances. Then they'll announce a date when they're 100% confident they can meet demand and execute their marketing plan.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Banned
May 25, 2018
Well alright then. I guess there's not much you can do.

I don't think selling it digitally would be that big of an issue if a ton of people are still sitting at home but I'm sure they did the math.

Samawati

Sep 15, 2019
TLoU 2 needs to be delayed to 2021 to complete the trifecta looool.
tenor.gif

I would say I hope this gives the ND devs the break from crunch hell they deserve, but somehow I doubt it

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Not sure what experts you're talking about precisely but over here in the UK the experts guiding the government are saying end of May/early June for this lockdown.

Everyone knows a 2nd peak is coming. But no one is suggesting we shut down for a continuous 6-9 months. It's going to be cyclical.
I assume that's not an official line from Australia since I literally just read yesterday that in NSW they're looking at 90 days with them hopefully of it being sooner.

I know that, the models from Imperial College London that I'm talking about have taken that into considersation and said a lockdown till end of May/start of June will be sufficient enough to flatten the curve to prevent a immediate recurrence.

We're going to get recurring outbreaks regardless of when we relax the lockdowns until we get a vaccine. It's about managing them and dispersing them out so you don't get massive spikes that overwhelm health services.
and preventing mutation of the virus. That's the last thing we want is a new flu virus season that hurts worse than the actual flu. The figures for six months are what I'm being told by education department in that we won't be opening back up for six months.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
NO

It's the perfect time for this and nobody needs to go out to a store to get a game these days.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
0 chance consoles comes out this year. Book it. Everything for the next three months will be delayed to fall.