• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Sep 21, 2019
Almost finished with the game and it's well deserved. I hope we get to see a 3rd game on PS5 somewhere in the next 5 years.

I will probably do a 2nd playthrough because everything we learn/see in the 2nd half of the game will probably make the 1st half feel totally different.

Get ready for the ending.

And I mean buckle the fuck up lol.

Sep 21, 2019
It's why Pixar will never win a Best Picture, because giving GOTY to a game that's explicitly aimed towards children is simply not going to happen. It's why Nintendo, despite putting out some of the highest-reviewed games in the industry, didn't really see a major GOTY win until it made its most traditionally-western title, most relatively 'mature' title in BotW.

Or maybe:

(1) People believed personally that, in certain respects, there were stronger candidates than TLoU:P2 to win GOTY
(2) However, when it came to games that traditionally do win GOTY, there was much less competition

I don't see how that's hypocritical. The fact that the game's greatest competition was an independent 2D roguelike with a significantly smaller player-base should show this quite well. Certain games always win these major awards, and all props to TLoU:P2 because when it came to those certain games it blew all of its competition out of the water.

...or do people seriously think that TLoU:P2 vs. Ghost of Tshushima, Cyberpunk 2077, and FFVIIr were in any way similar to the "RDR2 vs. GoW," or "GTAV vs. TLoU," battles of the past?

Pixar should have won Best Picture for Toy Story 3. It's pixars best movie and just incredible, brave cinema.

I'll stop digressing. But I watch Toy Story 3 every year. It's flawless...

Mocha

Dec 9, 2017
I disagree completely, pacing was trash with a story that gets yanks around constantly.

But I'll play the game again in the future to see if my opinion changes.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Pixar should have won Best Picture for Toy Story 3. It's pixars best movie and just incredible, brave cinema.

I'll stop digressing. But I watch Toy Story 3 every year. It's flawless...

Then you can understand the frustration people might have for games like Super Mario Galaxy, Hades, Disco Elysium, etc not ever holding the coveted 'most GOTYest GOTY game' whilst games such as TLoU:P2, The Witcher 3, and even Dragon Age 3 are almost shoe-ins for the title?

I agree, Toy Story 3 is one of Pixar's finest films but even it could never have hoped to achieve the same awards success as... an almost entirely forgotten film about a literal Monarch getting over his speech impediment. That's what people mean when they point to how Western-oriented action adventure games with a probable focus on making you feel 'down' win practically every single year. Add on to that the very real fact that TLoU:P2 is a game made through crunch, and the unfortunately very real issue of some (not all, especially here) people still having a grudge over the 'politics' of the game and it's a recipe for resentment when people shout to the high heavens about how this game is 100% objectively the 'GOAT' or something.

It's why I personally think that GOTY (on any sort of grand scale) is, and always has been, a dumbass proposition. That every year we pit games like Animal Crossing: New Horizons and Disco Elysium directly against the likes of TLoU:P2 and Red Dead Redemption 2 have shown how ridiculous it is but, hey, it's good marketing.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
giphy.gif

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
While this is an impressive feat are there more outlets now than in 2016? I feel like in a few years time another game will knock off TLoU2

Grassy

Oct 25, 2017
Just holding out for a PS5/60fps patch before I start my first play-through, surely any day now...

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Then you can understand the frustration people might have for games like Super Mario Galaxy, Hades, Disco Elysium, etc not ever holding the coveted 'most GOTYest GOTY game' whilst games such as TLoU:P2, The Witcher 3, and even Dragon Age 3 are almost shoe-ins for the title?

I agree, Toy Story 3 is one of Pixar's finest films but even it could never have hoped to achieve the same awards success as... an almost entirely forgotten film about a literal Monarch getting over his speech impediment. That's what people mean when they point to how Western-oriented action adventure games with a probable focus on making you feel 'down' win practically every single year. Add on to that the very real fact that TLoU:P2 is a game made through crunch, and the unfortunately very real issue of some (not all, especially here) people still having a grudge over the 'politics' of the game and it's a recipe for resentment when people shout to the high heavens about how this game is 100% objectively the 'GOAT' or something.

It's why I personally think that GOTY (on any sort of grand scale) is, and always has been, a dumbass proposition. That every year we pit games like Animal Crossing: New Horizons and Disco Elysium directly against the likes of TLoU:P2 and Red Dead Redemption 2 have shown how ridiculous it is but, hey, it's good marketing.
Hades
Disco Elysium
Celeste
Life is Strange
Gone Home
Journey/Walking Dead (same year)

These are the only indie titles that managed to be Top 5 goty winners as far back as 2005. Winning is an impossibility.

Nacho Papi

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't the biggest fan of the first game but the second one was a totally different experience for me and holy shit it just struck me that I actually 'only' played it on a Pro, i.e last gen console but it's one of the best looking games I've played.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Deserved. It is a perfect game. It's poetic for CDPR to lose out on that honor in the year of the 2077 fiasco.

Trigger

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Definitely earned it. A lot of heart in the game. I wish more AAA titles could hit these emotional highs and lows.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
The combat encounters in that game are nothing short of jaw dropping. The AI, physics, controls, and visuals come together in a way that's just something I've never played before.

Well warranted!

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
Best told story in a game and the most kinetic blood in your teeth murder goodness gameplay out of any title i've ever played, nevermind this year. I'm desperate for Factions2 to drop.

Another fantastic punch of an ending. Abby is fuckin dope and a godamned snack, Laura Baily and Ashley J fuckin knocked it out. I completely get it if it was too dark or depressing or bleak for people this year. Any year really - not everyone likes a story that doesn't wrap up nicely or kindly but i adore it.

Totally deserved. Can't wait for whatever it is they do next

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just finished it recently. Best open world game this generation by far.

No really.

It is just missing the open world bits like long travel and returning to the same area that make open world games crap.

Btw I found TLOU1 way more depressing and impactful. If people played the first one and noped out because of 2020 and all the stuff going on? I feel you can probably do ok.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Certain sense of satisfaction for it to be this game that knocked CDPR's crown jewel off the top spot.

Nov 21, 2017
I don't know how accurate this site is with its compilation, but BOTW is definitely an exception in that regard
gotypicks.blogspot.com

2020 GAME OF THE YEAR

2020 Game of the Year - from media outlets * Video Game Awards Only - The Video Game includes Console games, PC games, Handheld games, and...

Sheesh in the last decade SIE Games won majority of the GOTYs with 5 in the last 10 years:
2013 - The Last of Us
2016 - Uncharted 4
2018 - God of War
2019 - Death Stranding
2020 - The Last of Us Part II

2011-2020 GOTY Breakdown by Publisher:
SIE - 5
Nintendo - 1
CDProjectRed - 1
EA - 1
TellTale Games -1
Bethesda -1

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Sheesh in the last decade SIE Games won majority of the GOTYs with 5 in the last 10 years:
2013 - The Last of Us
2016 - Uncharted 4
2018 - God of War
2019 - Death Stranding

SIE - 5
Nintendo - 1
CDProjectRed - 1
EA - 1
TellTale Games -1
Bethesda -1

They've created some of the most immersive, breathtaking, impactful and memorable moments I've ever experienced in gaming. TLOU2 has taken the spot of my favorite piece of media ever.

SIE studios are still growing, evolving and building their craft. I can only imagine what they'll be able to deliver throughout the PS5's lifetime.

Nov 21, 2017
They've created some of the most immersive, breathtaking, impactful and memorable moments I've ever experienced in gaming. TLOU2 has taken the spot of my favorite piece of media ever.

SIE studios are still growing, evolving and building their craft. I can only imagine what they'll be able to deliver throughout the PS5's lifetime.

Yeah SIE has become my favorite publisher and I am looking forward to seeing them grow and release some amazing games with the PS5. Also even though TLOUP2 wasn't my personal GOTY Naughty Dog crafted an amazing game so these awards are very well deserved.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
ND is a very special team. TLOU2 is a one of a kind experience. Congrats to them.
Also. Suck it CDPR transphobic trash.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
lol at 'divisive' being used as a pejorative. Imagine spending your time playing only the things that everyone likes. Live a little.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Eh, considering ND's anti-blackness its basically a net zero for me.
Is a fair point. Was speaking more to the audience for each but the extent to which that fight went still makes you wonder why they bothered with it. It's about as subtle as a brick to the face with the things it invokes.

OP
OP
Tiago Rodrigues

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
2013 - The Last of Us
2016 - Uncharted 4
2018 - God of War
2019 - Death Stranding

SIE - 5
Nintendo - 1
CDProjectRed - 1
EA - 1
TellTale Games -1
Bethesda -1

Death Stranding still feels so random. It's not a bad game but...GOTY material?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Cannot wait to play this in 60fps eventually. I had to force myself to sell it so I didn't make a second play through before this.

OP
OP
Tiago Rodrigues

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
I haven't played it myself as the gameplay just isn't my cup of tea but it did win the most GOTYs in 2019. I may give it a shot one day when its either dirt cheaper on PS+.

I did play it and it's tedious at first...and rewarding in the end but still...i always felt like i was expecting something bogger to happen and it never happened.
But it's just me.
Play it. It deserves to be played for sure!

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Death Stranding still feels so random. It's not a bad game but...GOTY material?
Absolutely.

Zen like experience, honestly. I spent tens of hours just plotting and executing deliveries to unlock all the stations. Suitably off-the rails Kojima story (good and bad), some incredible perfomances and character moments. It's a truly unique and sometimes beautiful game and an easy considering for GOTY.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My feelings on TLOU2 are so outside the mainstream feelings on this game. It was such a breath of fresh air listening to giant bombs GOTY and actually hearing people not blinded by the hype and visuals actually critique what is mostly a miserable game with some terrible writing mistakes. This should not be the most awarded GOTY ever.

Meanwhile Hades is one of the best playing and written games of all time that refuses to waste the players time and is an actual GOAT and the game that will influence game design for years to come from 2020.

Jan 20, 2019
My feelings on TLOU2 are so outside the mainstream feelings on this game. It was such a breath of fresh air listening to giant bombs GOTY and actually hearing people not blinded by the hype and visuals actually critique what is mostly a miserable game with some terrible writing mistakes. This should not be the most awarded GOTY ever.

Meanwhile Hades is one of the best playing and written games of all time that refuses to waste the players time and is an actual GOAT and the game that will influence game design for years to come from 2020.

So basicaly, you complain about peopel being blind by TLOU and then make a coment that peopel should vote for Hades because you like it?

You see were the problems is rigth? Not everybody shares the same taste that you or giant bombs.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
My feelings on TLOU2 are so outside the mainstream feelings on this game. It was such a breath of fresh air listening to giant bombs GOTY and actually hearing people not blinded by the hype and visuals actually critique what is mostly a miserable game with some terrible writing mistakes. This should not be there most awarded GOTY ever.

i liked TLOU2 because of the story and gameplay. i wasn't blinded by hype, graphics, etc.

maybe ppl just have different opinions from you?

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Normally I wouldn't like this, because in my opinion TLOU II is nowhere near as good as a game to get so many awards, but in this case I'm happy because it makes Gamers absolutely seethe with idiotic rage, which is always a good thing.