• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Ehhh ... I hope it's just a multiplayer game. Third-person battle royale is completely devoid of tension because of how easy it is to reveal unseen threats.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Halo and The Last of Us likely getting Battle Royale games.... What a decade we live in XD

(To be fair both Halo and TLOU are perfect for the genre)

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
If Naughty Dog plays it's cards right... It could be massive

-Infected and dogs on the map?
-Free to play or payed?
-PS5 only? PS5/4? PS5/4+ PC?!
-OG Factions mode as well?

Again, if they figure out a good release strategy, it could make insane money for Sony

mullah88

Oct 28, 2017

-Free to play or payed?

Again, if they figure out a good release strategy, it could make insane money for Sony
Eww please no pc with all the cheaters! Stopped playing war zone because of it

pizzabutt

Apr 28, 2020
Was the 5 minute video leaked? I remember seeing the screens but I hadn't seen the video before.
I downloaded the 90 minute compilation of leaked footage but this wasn't included in that, just a short clip of factions gameplay with ellie's switchblade animations. Looks like it leaked at a different time and was deleted before someone could save it?

I'm curious about the subtitles, it says Leah? But the subtitles look like it's talking about the guy saying oh no so maybe that's a placeholder. It's only on for a split second but it looks like you can at least choose your player model this time, it's not random like Factions 1.

KingBae

Oct 28, 2017
To be honest, BR kinda fits with one setpiece in the game:
Just throw 60 players on the Scars island while it's burning with only one boat out of the island

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
For God's sake, this is the only game I've been anticipating from Naughty Dog since 2013, this better not be a Battle Royale game.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
I would be super fucking down for a stealthy slower paced battle royale type mode...

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017
It's hard to get anything from that video, that's some rough development footage, I'm not sure it's really worth watching.

Can't wait to have real informations on this project, if it's ambitious it could really become something special. Tlou1 MP was top tier.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind if they keep Factions focused on small numbers or push towards Battle Royale. This game's mechanics are very well suited to a Battle Royale, and it would be very unique compared to the rest. My main worry is that they'll go further down the route of adding increasingly complex loadout systems and perks and pay/grind to win elements.

azfaru

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
So what's so special about the TLOU MP? Never hooked up my ps3 online lol. What is it that makes people love it so much

jawzpause

Nov 7, 2017
Tlou2 gameplay mechanics would be insane in a BR game. If they go f2p it could be a huge hit

EssCee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if there is a co-op mode. That one menu system had like an "advance to next day" or "redo checkpoint" thing. Plus only 1-4 player count for the lobby

vbwh

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
As someone who generally has no interest in BR and hasn't really enjoyed any game in that genre since the early days of PUBG... I'm actually pretty excited for this. The setting and combat mechanics of TLOU2 both feel perfect for "giant fight to the death". e.g. the circle could consist of a huge spore cloud, with masks allowing you to briefly enter it.

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I think another hint towards it possibly being battle royale is the damage the bow does in the video.

In TLOU Factions 1, a bow headshot would always kill. But here, it looks like a bow headshot deals 2/3 of the players health. Of course the damage may just not be final, but the higher health is inline with battle royale designs wherein they usually try to avoid one-shot kills. It's not a lot of fun to spend a period of time looting up, only to be one-shot by someone anyway.

If you look at Call of Duty Warzone it has a much longer time to kill than the main multiplayer modes, and Apex Legends has a much longer time to kill than Titanfall 2.

Like I say though, it could also mean nothing.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Fucking hyped for this. Factions in TLOU1 was top tier multiplayer.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
It's handwaved for a lot of bad things like pay-to-win microtransactions but I guess modes are enjoyable enough?
This didn't really answer the question.
So what's so special about the TLOU MP? Never hooked up my ps3 online lol. What is it that makes people love it so much
The way it plays. Its like plucking Joel from the game and putting him in a multi player setting.

It has kind of its own story for Factions. Like clan survival IIRC. I haven't played in years tho. This might help:

thelastofus.fandom.com

Factions MP

Factions MP is the name given to the online multiplayer mode in The Last of Us. Decades after the initial CBI outbreak, and the decimation of the population, if you're not infected, then you're left fighting for scraps to survive. Unfortunately for you, there are many others like you fighting...

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This could be huge. A third person BR game with infected popping up done by the calibre of ND...

Give me that all day.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
So excited to play whatever they come up with. TLOUII played so dang well! I'm very excited for this!

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

At launch It was a nice contrast to all the run and gun twitch multiplayer. The slower flow and gunplay plus the looting and crafting system favored stealth and tactical play.

This is also why I think a BR mode fits factions pretty well. Things like looting and crafting systems comes naturally, the gameplay in TLOU2 has a lot of verticality and stealth, weapons are moddable, there's a potential for PvPvE with infected.

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Ughhh.........

I was hoping for something maybe a little more ambitious than a BR game.

Something more like the division. You have a big open city and you go out and do shit in it, there are missions, etc. There are other players in the world, you can be hostile or not, there are infected roaming around, etc.

Exactly....I really thought they'd built Seattle not just as the location of the campaign but as a decently sized 'open world' for a survival/mmo-lite game. Would be damned cool.

Spinluck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Ehhh ... I hope it's just a multiplayer game. Third-person battle royale is completely devoid of tension because of how easy it is to reveal unseen threats.

The first game was full of good stealth mechanics to the players that used them. Good players don't easily reveal themselves. All they would have to do is axe listening mode for the BR mode and come up with a map design that would play into this imo.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

-Free to play or payed?

Fuck PC. Playing Rogue with my buddy who plays on PC and it's hard as hell to play on a console vs PC players, aim assist or not. At least have the option to have cross play between PS consoles only. -_-

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
A standalone battle royale with The Last of Us Part II gameplay, sounds super fucking cool except corner peeker fuckers.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Hoping for decent create a character but I doubt it. probably generic scars/wlf npcs from the campaign.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
it will not be a normal Battle Royale, tho. the video has expeditions and days, for sure it will have the ND flavour.

i can see myself playing this everyday lolol.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017

It was a stealth based MP which set it apart from most and just really well designed (what you would expect from Naughty Dog). Based on how the gameplay evolved from TLOU I to II, this might be one of the best ever.

On Battle Royale; aside from 'the drop', the gameplay of Factions is already really well suited for a battle royale. It's all about starting with a basic loadout and gathering supplies to get better weapons and armor, plus the stealth element adds some extra flavor. It pretty much perfectly fits the vibe of the series imo.

wiggler

Oct 27, 2017
I was really hoping for a state of decay clone, but with TLoU2 gameplay 🤤

But a battle royale would probably be awesome as well!