• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I think the main problem with this show (and by extension books too I guess) is that it tries to be historically accurate while having a fictional lead who happens to be the most famous and respected person in the region. That means Uthred never really gets anything of note, and they have to find out very contrived way of taking everything away from him. Like you can't make him a proper Lord of a noteworthy place because he'd have to replace someone from the history books for that which the writer doesn't wanna do to maintain his historically accurate fiction. After several seasons of Uthred being a one man army for Saxonsbut still getting bent over, it's starting to get a bit noticeable.

If it went the Vikings way of not trying to adhere to history strictly and just tell a story loosely based on history and myth, then it'd have served it better...or at the very least serve the show better where there is much less breathing room compared to the books.

I don't see it as a problem. Uhtred contantly loses what he gains because he is a pagan, yet for a lot of the time he lived like a great lord, if not a king. His absence from history also comes from that.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see it as a problem. Uhtred contantly loses what he gains because he is a pagan, yet for a lot of the time he lived like a great lord, if not a king. His absence from history also comes from that.
To add to your comment, they more explicitly state this in the books than the show, but in the books the priests (who were the record keepers) purposefully leave out Uthred's contributions from their writings because A. He is a pagan B. To prop up their Christian kings and lords.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Finished the season last night, amazingly entertaining stuff as always. My grievances from my previous post still hold, but ultimately it's another solid entry. Found the ending really good too, wrapping up most plots nicely and leaves some decent threads open for the upcoming one.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
US Netflix rankings

#7 overall, #5 in TV - April 27

#3 overall, #2 in TV - April 28

#4 overall, #3 in TV - April 29

#4 overall, #3 in TV - April 30

#6 overall, #3 in TV - May 1

#6 overall, #3 in TV - May 2

#10 overall, #4 in TV - May 3

#9 overall, #4 in TV - May 4

Last edited:

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Finished the season yesterday, this might be my most favourite current TV show.
Aside from the atrocious pilot, it has kept consistently amazing quality throughout all 4 seasons.

Tupper

Jul 15, 2019
Eliza Butterworth, who plays Lady Aelswith is 26 years old!

(she's the same age as the actor playing her daughter, Aethelflaed)

Okay, I've been waiting to comment in this thread before I finished but I saw this post before mid way through and now the illusion is shattered. I totally bought her as Aethelflaed's mother before but now I can't unsee how young she is, lol. Her acting is so good though, so it doesn't bother me.

Just finished and I am really impressed. There were some really excellent character moments and some very surprising events. I do have some questions.

Is this going to end with a united England per Alfred's vision? Cuz it feels like that is a long way off.

Will the Welsh show up more? They kind of are there and gone a bit too quick. Brida being captured by them was one of the surprising things for me. Poor Brida :(

I liked Eadith's character arc. At first I didn't really care for her but as it went on and she wasn't all about gaining power and genuinely wanted to do the right thing, I had a complete turn around. Too bad she got all the brains in the family.

I also liked how Uhtred was broken after failing to take his home back. That and the death of Steoppa, :( , really colored all of his actions. He felt a bit broken.

I really should have taken notes, as I can't remember everything I wanted to mention.

On a side note, but do any of you hope their is a resurgence in some of these Saxon names? I find them really beautiful (and fun to say).

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
finished season 4 last night
man i really thought
uthred would kill brida there
from checking out wikipedia seems like in the books uthred has an elder son that becomes a priest, while his younger follows him and his band

i guess they combined him to become 1 person in the netflix version

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I've been waiting to comment in this thread before I finished but I saw this post before mid way through and now the illusion is shattered. I totally bought her as Aethelflaed's mother before but now I can't unsee how young she is, lol. Her acting is so good though, so it doesn't bother me.

Just finished and I am really impressed. There were some really excellent character moments and some very surprising events. I do have some questions.

Is this going to end with a united England per Alfred's vision? Cuz it feels like that is a long way off.

Will the Welsh show up more? They kind of are there and gone a bit too quick. Brida being captured by them was one of the surprising things for me. Poor Brida :(

I liked Eadith's character arc. At first I didn't really care for her but as it went on and she wasn't all about gaining power and genuinely wanted to do the right thing, I had a complete turn around. Too bad she got all the brains in the family.

I also liked how Uhtred was broken after failing to take his home back. That and the death of Steoppa, :( , really colored all of his actions. He felt a bit broken.

I really should have taken notes, as I can't remember everything I wanted to mention.

On a side note, but do any of you hope their is a resurgence in some of these Saxon names? I find them really beautiful (and fun to say).

For the spoilers, Edward and Aethelflead are real people, and you can see what they actually did in history, if you care to look :P

Personally, all the Aethel-names (stan, red, flead, wold, wulf, etc.) can be confusing sometimes, lol. King Alfred, King Edward, boom, got it :P

Tupper

Jul 15, 2019
For the spoilers, Edward and Aethelflead are real people, and you can see what they actually did in history, if you care to look :P

Personally, all the Aethel-names (stan, red, flead, wold, wulf, etc.) can be confusing sometimes, lol. King Alfred, King Edward, boom, got it :P

Ah, this is true. I did wiki Alfred, I think during season 1 and remembering reading about Edward but that was awhile ago, so I forgot it all.

As to the Aethel names, yeah, talk about a confusing mess.... but I really like them all. So, I could live with it, lol. (Except Aethelwold)

You did remind me though. I wish this show had an after show where it would have a real history professors or period experts who would discuss the historical events shown in the episode and discuss what really happened. Or maybe a podcast like the Chernobyl podcast. That would be a neat complementary thing.

OP
OP
Tugatrix

Tugatrix

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Just finished, what a ride, but has stated before no scene could top that goodbye between Alfred and Uthred, still another amazing season, this show keep on growing in quality over the seasons

One thing that come out a lot in this season is the idea that Uthred no longer is considered a Dane and feels comfortable with the idea of being a Saxon and fight for them.

And i already have a OT for Season 5, "Edward can make more heirs but can't make more Uthred's"

Oct 31, 2017
Paris, France
So because of the Hype regarding Assassin's Creed Valhalla I finally watched the show. As a huge fan of Viking I wasn't feeling but damn it's amazing. I never binged a show like this (quarantine effect though I guess).
For all its wrongs, the show have a lot of highs.

Deleted member 11039

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guess I'm in the minority but this was my least favorite season. (Still enjoyed it though)

The first half flies by and some really huge moments don't get the attention they deserve. And the lack of Alfred's gravitas and yin to Uhtred's yang is sadly missed. Edward feels kind of cartoonish and, it may be just the performance, but Brida's fall doesn't feel totally organic.

Again, still enjoyed it and have my fingers crossed that we get more seasons.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
Great season. Not sure where I rank it because I only just finished. I watched the previous 3 seasons 3 times. It was different. Still liked it a whole lot.

Edward and Aethelflaed are real pieces of work.

After everything Uhtred does for them. Saving Edwards children, saving both their lives numerous times, handing Aethelflaed the crown... they are just goin to siege Winchester like that without caring if he and his children die

Man they both really take after their parents

Look forward to Brida becoming a real menace next season.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Alright, the Valhalla announcement got me to binge this as well. Just random thoughts. I'm midway through S4. S1 and 2 were fine enough pulp television. What I really enjoyed about the first two seasons is how they sold this world being effectively post-apocalyptic and still in recovery. Most of these "kings" are the kings of jackshit. On a character note, I wish they hadn't killed off Leofric in S1 as he provided a necessary counter-balance to Uhtred, though Finan grew to somewhat fill that spot.

Thought S3 was a mess until Episodes 9 and 10- I thought the plotting did not work, as they had to separate Alfred and Uhtred for the majority of the season for understandable reasons but could not find a way to satisfactorily do so. The Alfred/Uhtred chat was good stuff though.

Aethelflead is probably my favorite character but I HATE that she got together with Uhtred. They play fast and loose with the ages on the show (see: Edward being a teenager with children by the start of S3 when he's a baby at the end of S1) but still, the characters are at least twelve years apart! He watched her grow up and the vibe I got when the current actress first interacted with him in S2 was schoolgirl crush. Then she got with Erik who definitely came off younger than Uhtred, and that was cute. I dunno. How old is Uhtred supposed to be in S4 anyway? I'm guessing mid-30s at this point? He was 16-17 when he first met Alfred I think.

Having watched Reign, the guy who played Francis also being in this is just weird.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Alright, the Valhalla announcement got me to binge this as well. Just random thoughts. I'm midway through S4. S1 and 2 were fine enough pulp television. What I really enjoyed about the first two seasons is how they sold this world being effectively post-apocalyptic and still in recovery. Most of these "kings" are the kings of jackshit. On a character note, I wish they hadn't killed off Leofric in S1 as he provided a necessary counter-balance to Uhtred, though Finan grew to somewhat fill that spot.

Thought S3 was a mess until Episodes 9 and 10- I thought the plotting did not work, as they had to separate Alfred and Uhtred for the majority of the season for understandable reasons but could not find a way to satisfactorily do so. The Alfred/Uhtred chat was good stuff though.

Aethelflead is probably my favorite character but I HATE that she got together with Uhtred. They play fast and loose with the ages on the show (see: Edward being a teenager with children by the start of S3 when he's a baby at the end of S1) but still, the characters are at least twelve years apart! He watched her grow up and the vibe I got when the current actress first interacted with him in S2 was schoolgirl crush. Then she got with Erik who definitely came off younger than Uhtred, and that was cute. I dunno. How old is Uhtred supposed to be in S4 anyway? I'm guessing mid-30s at this point? He was 16-17 when he first met Alfred I think.

Having watched Reign, the guy who played Francis also being in this is just weird.
In the books, by the time of The Pagan Lord and The Empty Throne he's approaching his 40s.

EzekelRAGE

Nov 3, 2017
Another very good season for me.

Alfred's widow looking younger/better was weird. I was like did she lose weight or something 🤔. Cuz she was not looking this good in previous seasons. Was surprised she was so young irl.

Yea brida started getting annoying. That may be because I wanted to see syg win. But the whole anger thing was annoying at the end. Would like to see more of syg tbh. He was a refreshing dane to see who actually planned things. Same with Aelfric's son taking over bebenbaugh. He seems more like a "thinker" as well. Was hoping to see more of him throughout the season.

I thought for sure haeston would be killed this season 😂.

They actually made me feel bad for aethelred there lol.

Edward is kinda meh. Nothing on Alfred but serviceable.

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy

To be fair, this was a time period where it was not uncommon to see 60+ year old men married to 13 year old girls. So a 15 year age difference was probably not that big a deal.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
damn. dammmmmmmmn this show is fucking me up. Steapa!!!! there was also the interesting thing where uhtred remarks on maybe taking bebbanburg is not his destiny and i kinda feel like that frees up the character on doing whatever he wants his destiny to be. pretty neat stuff. loving this season so far

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I'm not reading the thread yet because spoilers, but so far after 4 eps these shocks:

Beocca!

Steapa!

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Started rewatching the series, and I'm currently going through the second season. Each time Guthred is on screen though, I can't help but to think of Dave Foley.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
Fun season, but going from Alfred to Edward hurts. A lot. Edward was decently promising on third season while he was just a secondary character, but as one of the main characters he is just bad in both, acting and writing.

I mean, is kinda fitting historically, Alfred was a fucking "the Great", but I can't help but keep comparing both and thinking a "Alfred would be owning this scene".

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Brida is not interesting enough to last this long.

She should have been gone either by the end of season 3 or at most, middle of season 4. She greatly overstays her welcome, season 5 needs a proper villain.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
finished season 4 last night
man i really thought
uthred would kill brida there
from checking out wikipedia seems like in the books uthred has an elder son that becomes a priest, while his younger follows him and his band

i guess they combined him to become 1 person in the netflix version
His younger son will show up in the future is my guess.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
The actor who played Alfred was one of the best in the show to be sure, there's certainly something lost with him gone, and I suppose it should be that way. I love this show though, I tried watching Vikings recently and perhaps I'm not giving it a fair chance but it just doesn't feel remotely comparable in quality, I've only watched the first few episodes so maybe that changes later.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
Brida is not interesting enough to last this long.

She should have been gone either by the end of season 3 or at most, middle of season 4. She greatly overstays her welcome, season 5 needs a proper villain.

I don't really see Brida as a villain. Aside from Beocca, Brida has been his last connection with his past, and his childhood with the Danes. That was why he could never kill her and he knew that letting her go into slavery was a selfish choice.

I don't think we needed all of the scenes with Brida being tortured in Wales or her killing innocent people with the Danes. But her scene with Uhtred was as much for his character, to see how sad he was seeing Brida being this tragic and pathetic figure.

Cocksman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do you guys like this more than Vikings? I just started that earlier this week and I'm finding it pretty enjoyable.

Deleted member 31133

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Do you guys like this more than Vikings? I just started that earlier this week and I'm finding it pretty enjoyable.

I personally prefer Last Kingdom to Vikings.

Season 4 of LK is the best yet. Really hoping we get a season five, but they really need to start aging the main characters. It's becoming a bit of a distraction as it looks like they've been drinking from the fountain of youth.

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
Fun video showing off some of the fight training with Emily Cox. I wasn't a huge fan of the direction Brida's character took this season, but Emily still did a great job with what she was given. Also, lol @ the stunt guy with Uhtred's sword just slid into the back of his hoodie.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Another very good season for me.

Alfred's widow looking younger/better was weird. I was like did she lose weight or something 🤔. Cuz she was not looking this good in previous seasons. Was surprised she was so young irl.

Yea brida started getting annoying. That may be because I wanted to see syg win. But the whole anger thing was annoying at the end. Would like to see more of syg tbh. He was a refreshing dane to see who actually planned things. Same with Aelfric's son taking over bebenbaugh. He seems more like a "thinker" as well. Was hoping to see more of him throughout the season.

I thought for sure haeston would be killed this season 😂.

They actually made me feel bad for aethelred there lol.

Edward is kinda meh. Nothing on Alfred but serviceable.
She's probably more annoying than the squirmy twat in the first 3 seasons, except now
We have to deal with her shit next season

Two things that bothered me this season, that character ^ and

The idea of Uhtred being the biggest baller in all the destined land and not having fuck all to show with it. It just doesn't make any sense. Why not become a King, marry the woman you love and let her dictate the land?

No.. instead, give her power and then be unable to wed her. Like, what the fuck? Just annoying.

Season 3 is the best.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
One of the problems of the show for me is how it's failed to show how Uhtred is manipulated by others (and sometimes betrayed by his own choices) to serve their own ends - it's a huge part of the books that isn't really picked up in the show at all. So while it's frustating, him going for so long without anything to show for his efforts makes more sense (but is no less frustrating) in the books.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017

I'm probably being unfair but watching the first season of Vikings and I'm just not that impressed, it does very little for me and the opposite is true of the Last Kingdom. I'm actually kind of obsessed with the Last Kingdom, I'm on my third rewatch of the series.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I've watched all of both. For me, the first two seasons of Vikings are the best of both shows, but overall considering the entire series, TLK is better. The quality is consistently higher, whereas seemingly everyone I know who has watched Vikings agreed it dipped after the first couple of seasons and then when a certain character died later.

I don't regret watching all of Vikings though. The shows complement each other too, since Vikings takes place a few generations before TLK.

Have you seen Norsemen also on Netflix? That's hilarious.