Are you bothered by the lack of price cuts on consoles?

• Yes

Votes: 694 35.9%
  • No

Votes: 661 34.2%
  • Don't care

Votes: 576 29.8%

• Total voters

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
On a side note, I'd still argue that PS5/XSX prices seem right specially if you like watching UHD movies. I recently got one of the best one of the best 4k players on the market at a shocking $350 on a sale and budget players aren't cheap either. I knew the features I was missing with PS5 playback but if I'm being honest I wouldn't be able to point a lot of differences and I probably would have stuck with PS5 as my main player if money wasn't a problem.
Kinda reminded me of the PS3 days.

OP
OP
SageShinigami

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
This is a really odd line in the sand. If a console is that important to you big sales are almost always the same time of year and if you had extra money you could save it until the next time.

If one wants to say 500 is too much for a PS5 I get that but it's also regularly cheaper than that buying used or waiting for deals. Thinking the retail price everywhere of an item needs to be at a certain point is just strange when we are talking about an item that the overwhelming majority of people are going to buy once.

It's almost like you don't want to say I won't buy a PS5 until it is 300 but rather I won't buy a PS5 until they are ALL 300.

At least that's how it's coming off to me. Apologies if I'm reading it wrong.

Not everyone just has $3-400 available whenever. When they do get it, saying "just hold it until there's a sale" is harder than it sounds. Sometimes things come up. Sometimes you find something else you want and would rather spend that money on. No matter what though Sony's down that extra sale for...3 months? 6 months? Longer?

This isn't some grand statement I'm making ("Oh I won't buy a PS5 until they're ALL 300"), I'm just saying people shouldn't have to plan around the companies, companies should plan around them.

JustTom

May 28, 2018
Germany...
I was almost tempted into buying an overpriced PS5 eBay when it released since I didn't get one and had fckn fomo (lol - good thing I can laugh about it now) but I gone a regular one in December when it released.
End of story is I sold my PS5 two weeks ago for the exact same reasons you are sticking to PC now: I can and will eventually get every single game on PC and since I have a very decent PC I am a PC+Nintendo guy now and I am very happy about that.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Not everyone just has $3-400 available whenever. When they do get it, saying "just hold it until there's a sale" is harder than it sounds. Sometimes things come up. Sometimes you find something else you want and would rather spend that money on. No matter what though Sony's down that extra sale for...3 months? 6 months? Longer?

This isn't some grand statement I'm making ("Oh I won't buy a PS5 until they're ALL 300"), I'm just saying people shouldn't have to plan around the companies, companies should plan around them.

Well yeah but that is true for every product ever and not just game consoles. And it's really odd to complain about the price of a console and then say sometimes you find something else you want. Well then the console wasn't that important to someone owning unless we are talking about food vs console which considering you didn't use the word need I don't think it was food.

I don't even know what companies planning around people means. In no sense of the world is a company ever going to "plan around people." They are trying to maximize profit. They will cut the price only if they think it is going to create more profit than at a more expensive one.

This is really just Econ 101 stuff. It's not taking console makers sides it's just the reality. Of course I wish they are cheaper as well but we're consumers of course we want all prices cheaper our goals compete with companies.

Jan 20, 2024
It's not just the console that's not getting a permanent price cut, it's the games too. One of the reasons why it's getting pretty likely I'm just skipping this generation and sticking to PC.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
When I say I am bothered by the lack of price cuts, it's not because I think I should be paying less for the hardware on offer (though that would be nice).

What bothers me is the affect that it has on the industry. The lack of price cuts seems like it signals the end of the road of easy wins on the hardware side for maintaining performance while reducing pricing at the platform level (ie- die shrinks and whatnot).

So what seems like the main reason for the lack of price cuts isn't so much just solely the platform holders wanting to maintain high price points for higher profitability, but an actual lack of an ability to reduce price on the hardware itself, and that this will be an ongoing problem in the future.

Price cuts on mid and late gen (and legacy) consoles are the life blood of the long tail of the consumer market. As the less-price conscious super user moves on to new hardware in the PC space or off-cycle consoles, the more price conscious consumer fills in the gaps. And that wider market base is much larger than the enthusiast crowd. That long tail buys less games on a person to person basis, but there are so many of them, they buoy the market as a whole.

Those consumers also have a somewhat built-in total spend, so when the price of the consoles is higher, they just spend less on the games themselves, consolidating the funding to less sources.

I think this is just bad overall for the industry and it bums me out because I think it's going to get worse.

j7vikes

Jan 5, 2020
It's not just the console that's not getting a permanent price cut, it's the games too. One of the reasons why it's getting pretty likely I'm just skipping this generation and sticking to PC.

Unless we're talking first party Nintendo games games go on sales quicker and at steeper discounts than ever. Maybe it's because I started gaming in like 1987 but it's far more affordable in many areas than it used to be and in many of them not close.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I often wait these days. Too often launch titles are a mixed bag and games stay cross-platform while changing gens. 🤷‍♀️

OP
OP
SageShinigami

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
It sounds stupid but it hurt my feelings at the time. I was pretty emotional about it because I always viewed that group as the main set of gamers.

I'd be on neogaf/penny arcade absolutely furious that EA released a terrible Madden on Wii because Wii was what a lot of people could afford but then they were force-fed shit by all the big pubs. Lol. It was a frustrating time in my life but granted me the wisdom to get some space between me and "VIDEO GAMES SERIOUS BUSINESS." I'm at least thankful for that.

Technically this is a more valid reason to get upset rather than the super enthusiasts complaining that a game doesn't get 4K/120 on their 4090. You were at least arguing for the common person.

Well yeah but that is true for every product ever and not just game consoles. And it's really odd to complain about the price of a console and then say sometimes you find something else you want. Well then the console wasn't that important to someone owning unless we are talking about food vs console which considering you didn't use the word need I don't think it was food.

I don't even know what companies planning around people means. In no sense of the world is a company ever going to "plan around people." They are trying to maximize profit. They will cut the price only if they think it is going to create more profit than at a more expensive one.

This is really just Econ 101 stuff. It's not taking console makers sides it's just the reality. Of course I wish they are cheaper as well but we're consumers of course we want all prices cheaper our goals compete with companies.

Yeah this is all logical, but then people can't also wonder why console TAM has been stuck at 200M. Of course it is--you priced out a ton of consumers so they moved to other methods of gaming.

Jan 20, 2024
Unless we're talking first party Nintendo games games go on sales quicker and at steeper discounts than ever. Maybe it's because I started gaming in like 1987 but it's far more affordable in many areas than it used to be and in many of them not close.

Yeah, I'm not seeing any of that. Granted, I haven't followed PS5 games sales super closely since I don't have one but every time I've checked here in Canada, they've always been full price. Like Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart, which came out almost 3 years ago, is still $89.99 on both Amazon and Bestbuy right now. Whereas in previous generations, it would have long since entered 'greatest hits' territory and dropped down to $19.99-29.99.

I ended up just getting it on PC for like $60 or so.

DesVoeux

Dec 16, 2023
I actually consider consoles relatively cheap compared to gaming PCs. Plus the Series S + Game Pass is probably the best deal in gaming.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm not bothered by lack of price cuts necessarily, but I am bothered that some consoles actually went up in price after launch in some regions. That is some bullshit.

bob1001

▲ Legend ▲
May 7, 2020
I'm all in on PC and don't plan on getting any non-Nintendo console. Having said that I'm not immune to impulse purchases, if the PS5 was cheaper I could see myself buying one when GTA 6 comes out or if Sony got another Fromsoft exclusive.

I think this particular flaw of mine isn't an issue at current prices, I can hold out for PC releases.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm not seeing any of that. Granted, I haven't followed PS5 games sales super closely since I don't have one but every time I've checked here in Canada, they've always been full price. Like Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart, which came out almost 3 years ago, is still $89.99 on both Amazon and Bestbuy right now. Whereas in previous generations, it would have long since entered 'greatest hits' territory and dropped down to $19.99-29.99.

greatest hits came out like 4.5 years after the ps4's launch. we're not quite there with the ps5. so it really wouldn't have. it's also like $30 on psn and currently included with extra which didn't exist back then

Oct 28, 2017
I voted not bothered because at a personal level if I want a console after launch day I am happy to track deals which can lead to substantial discounts. Like I don't care if the MSRP of the Series S is $299 if its trivial to get it at a lower price any day of the week here in the US.

What does an "official" price drop do for the individual if a cheaper price is often available? Are people worried their platform of choice won't have a big enough install base? Or is it just a frustration that more popular consoles like the PS5 rarely go on sale as much as less popular ones and everyone wants Sony to accept less money because of a different console market 20 years ago?

Back in 2004 retail was strong, shelf space was king, and listed prices were enforced through an iron fist. The internet's growth via smartphones broke that hold a console maker could have on the end price, and the current system gives retailers the flexibly to clear out old models if needed with large discounts on them. I don't see a problem.

j7vikes

Jan 5, 2020

Well outliers exist but games go down to 19.99 or lower regularly. And much more quickly imo than other generations. Though it's hard to judge since it's all so varied now with digital sales.

Right now Ratchet and Clank Rift Part is 29.39 on sale but I'm in the U.S.

Hell N64 games adjusted for inflation I think would be like 90 today. And those were not going on sale super quick.

All you young people are in the glory days of cheap gaming and don't even realize it.

Last edited:

TurtleProxy

Sep 14, 2023
Hardware has never gone down in price, since every generation... and it's not like building a comparable PC with the power of the PS5 is any less expensive? Does PC hardware get random cuts like this?

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
TBH the only game I kinda wanted to play was FF16 but that ended poorly after I read the spoilers a long time ago here. Also, I do have a 2nd gen switch if that counts for full price a few years ago 😔

I don't really see myself buying a PS5 since I lost my old PSN account and all my games for PS4/vita.

p.s. If any kind stranger would donate a new PC to me too I'd be very grateful.

Oct 27, 2017
I definitely empathize OP, the low cost options for budget conscious people today are mobile devices (smartphones/tablets, laptops) and Nintendo. Personally I just wait to spot for deals; I got a PS4 and XONE for $200 each and a PS5 and XSX for $250 each, all open box on Ebay (I don't think they were even touched). I'm" fortunate in that I can afford to purchase consoles at full price but I'm" not a tech chaser so I can wait for prices to drop.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I still think of when in space of a few months I picked up a GameCube and Xbox for something like £280 total and that was relatively close to launch. The last gen I ever owned all consoles for a reason.

xch1n

Oct 27, 2017
If you factor in the inflation that we've experienced, as long as the price remained static in your region then it's effectively a price cut.
I did the math earlier in an earlier post. It's about a $100 price cut equivalent vs a ~$123 price cut equivalent at the same time in the PS4 lifecycle.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Just another way the traditional console experience has eroded. They drove me to PC and I'm happy there. I appreciate more Nintendo's stance of budgeting their hardware well and refusing to devalue their software with predictable price cuts post-launch.

OP
OP
SageShinigami

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Just another way the traditional console experience has eroded. They drove me to PC and I'm happy there. I appreciate more Nintendo's stance of budgeting their hardware well and refusing to devalue their software with predictable price cuts post-launch.

Nah that's not it for me. One of my biggest beefs with Nintendo is their games are $60 years later. Are they trading cards, wtf is going on there.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
My friend gave me his "old" desktop which was powerful enough to run a ton of video games at decent settings. At first I thought it would just be a stopgap until I could get a PS5.

I think a big part of all this is that when you look at the last two decades or so; PC hardware has caught up pretty well (or in the case of Nvidia: actively dominating it's field) and console hardware actually turned into (relatively) low-specced PCs to ease development. Looking at the Xbox One/PS4 gen; they are pretty weak machines, so things had to scale down to that performance profile. And many games this generation clearly are designed (or as some people here would call it, "limited") to still work with that performance profile because they are either cross-gen and/or multiplatform. So a medium-specced PC with a medium-specced graphics card will be totally fine playing most of modern games as long you don't mind tinkering with some graphics settings and can live without raytracing.

That said, that medium-specced PC will still cost you probably twice the amount of a PS5 if you have to buy it "new".

Jade1962

Oct 28, 2017
I voted no because I know they are losing money on selling the hardware. They lose money every time the sell one and the cost to manufacture a PS5 has actually gone up. The market dynamic has changed so why be upset about reality. It does suck for people that can't afford but if you are willing to play a used PC I don't know why you would be against a playing a used console.

LPast

Apr 17, 2021
I bought my "launch" PS4 used on cowboom.com. I got a great trade in deal at GameStop and purchased a digital PS5. I think I got it for less than $200 out of pocket.

So all in all I think there are deals to be had.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
This particular issue is not that important to me, but I've been thinking about getting off the console train for a while now.
The subs, paid online, walled garden, lacking hardware (especially later on in the lifecycle), the downfall of physical (if I'm buying digital, I'd much rather invest in PC for pretty obvious reasons in terms of library longevity).

And with the apparent move away from exclusives (a good thing), I'm just not feeling it anymore. Maybe if whatever Xbox does next indeed includes Steam sideloading, I'm getting those as secondary devices.

mightyrat

Sep 30, 2022
Consoles at that price are still great value, Steam deck costs more, building a pc way more.

My issues which have grown so much larger are the cost on console to play online. Locking games to online only and a subscription is really bothering me.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
Consoles are still incredible value for money. Both the top Xbox and PS consoles cost more or less the same as a mid-range GFX card.

Owzers

Oct 26, 2017
I'm very close to being a trash gamer who only plays gachas and overwatch, and I think i'm mostly done with trying to play every big game across all consoles and have been for awhile. A Switch is intriguing for Nintendo stuff, but I subbed to PS Extra because I thought i'd play a bunch of games and it's still Overwatch and gachas. I could be playing Marvel Midnight Suns.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017

Its actually on sale right now in Canada PSN for $37, games actually go on sale a lot, but there is typically a rotation to them. So it can be easy to miss in one sale. I dont know how well it works but if you add the game to your wish list PSN will let you know via the PS app or email when the game goes on sale.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
If you have an old console to sell, that's basically your discount. No sense in holding on to them because I don't see old PS4s and Xbox Ones being collectors items. The value will only go down.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
An equivalent PC is more expensive so what are you arguing exactly. It is cheaper to buy a console than build a PC

Is it really? When you consider PS+ and the "need" to buy the mid-gen PRO upgrade?

And let's take the scenario from the OP, They wanted the PS5, but are not OK with paying 500 bucks.
They got a used, free gaming laptop they thought was a stop-gap but is now the primary gaming machine because of the high price.
That right there is a lost customer.
Something that is quite common when we see the trajectory of the consoles in the last 2 decades.

I don't know why the console makers have the "need" to make money with the hardware itself. With GaaS, Online pay, and 30%, the mantra should be to get as much hardware to consumers as possible.
Unless they know (or think they know) that the possible market for console players isn't that much bigger at a lesser price point and it is better to monetize their current customers more.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Is it really? When you consider PS+ and the "need" to buy the mid-gen PRO upgrade?

And let's take the scenario from the OP, They wanted the PS5, but are not OK with paying 500 bucks.
They got a used, free gaming laptop they thought was a stop-gap but is now the primary gaming machine because of the high price.
That right there is a lost customer.
Something that is quite common when we see the trajectory of the consoles in the last 2 decades.

I don't know why the console makers have the "need" to make money with the hardware itself. With GaaS, Online pay, and 30%, the mantra should be to get as much hardware to consumers as possible.
Unless they know (or think they know) that the possible market for console players isn't that much bigger at a lesser price point and it is better to monetize their current customers more.

Yes it is. Building a PC at PS5s power level is more expensive than buying a PS5. So it is still the cheaper option. The person who has the used laptop what are they playing? Spidey 2, Baldurs Gate 3 etc...? Most likely their laptop would not be able to run it well.

PS5 at 99 dollars will sell gangbusters. So will top of the line graphic cards. That does not mean it makes business sense. Even at the current price margins are low. No one wants to take massive losses on hardware

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021

Not really. The majority of these types of videos have big problems when relating to a PS5. And I will get to that in a minute. And virtually all of them rely on what I refer to as "super best friend pricing". Or in other words, what something might cost if you had a really good buddy whom gave you an unusually great deal, on their 2nd hand stuff.

There are A NUMBER of problems with this video. They blatantly fudge their way to a working PC, with no true price tally. And some of that is likely due to them having a warehouse of hardware, so they don't actually have to source parts like a viewer would. And they otherwise didn't try to do it that way, as an exercise for the video. I garuntee all of their parts came from their warehouse. Their PSU was even supplied by a sponsor.

They ignore potential shipping costs.

They assumed you can get a case for free.

They blatantly dismiss peripherals, but then go ahead and use an Xbox controller and have a decent mouse and expensive looking RGB (likely mechanical) keyboard in use, as well. And in a recent LTT video, they state that they haven't really found any mice under $30, which test decently for deviation. For the less technically knowledgeable readers here: you can think of that as roughly equivalent to stick drift, but for the optical tracking sensor of the mouse.

If you are going to build a PC which matches and or beats the PS5 experience, you have to account for every aspect.

So for starters--------the 4K blu-ray disc drive. Are you gonna buy one for your PC? If not......well you can get a digital PS5 for $400. And that's probably the end of this story, really.
But, lets humor the $500 pc which is equivalent or better than PS5

PS5 comes with a high quality controller, which costs ~$70 in everyday pricing, to buy separately for your PC. Sometimes you can get them on sale for $50.

So, your PC should have an equivalent controller and/or a keyboard and mouse which is more/less equivalent in quality. Decent mechanical keyboards start at around $40. LTT themselves say decent mice start at around $30.

PS5 has an SSD which is equivalent to a PCIe 4.0 SSD. So if you want to be technical about matching and/or beating a PS5 with a PC spec, you gotta get an at least equivalent speed 4.0 SSD. Its true that it doesn't matter that much, for many games. But, there are some newer games where it does matter. And also, technically speaking, we are talking about matching or maybe even beating a PS5, for the same money.

GPU is a nebulous choice. As there aren't any true 1:1 situations to compare PS5 and a PC. That said, LTT underspecced their GPU.. The most equivalent PC GPU, is the RX 6700 non-XT. Digital Foundry did a comparison with it, using a vastly more powerful CPU than a PS5. and found that sometimes its worse than a PS5. Sometimes the experience is very similar. and sometimes on that PC which they used, the experience is quite a bit better-----but those "better' situations were very likely CPU limited, and benefitted from the 2x generations newer, top of the stack CPU, which by itself costs as much as a PS5, when new. The CPU which LTT used in their video, is also a fair bit better than the PS5 CPU. Its a generation newer, has a lot more clock speed, 3x more cache, etc.

You also need a cooler for the CPU (which may or may not come with the CPU) and at LEAST one system fan for intake. Unless you happen to get a case which matches very well with our CPU cooler and GPU, such that they are effectively intaking on their own.

In the end, it still can't really be done, building a $500 PC which matches or beats the PS5 experience. Even if we ignore the $400 PS5 digital edition.

Last edited:

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Might as well get consoles on release day if you can afford it as if you wait for a price drop you could be waiting forever.

If that was true, every console would sell most of its hardware in its first year.

Now, lets say you are in year 6 of 8 of the current generation, still didn't buy the console yet. You did just fine for 6 years, the console is still as expensive. Why buy a console NOW instead of waiting for another 2 years and get the next generation?

Buying late into the generation made sense, you could get the hardware cheap and could catch up on exclusive titles. But with the same price as a brand new generation console, why buy the old console and not just wait another 2 years, you already skipped the first 6.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Between widespread inflation & the tanking value of the yen, I don't think price cuts are in the cards, outside of the occasional temporary sale. Maybe when new hardware is released.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Component costs and die shrinks over the last few years have been relatively stagnant compared to how fast they would fall during previous generations. This has affected both consoles and PCs recently. As a result, three years into this generation, the horsepower/dollar ratio between consoles and PC is roughly similar to where it was at launch.

To get a AAA gaming experience similar to the consoles on PC requires something like a RTX 3070/RX 7700 which will still run you about the price of a console. However, already having a decent PC on-hand skews the math because you might be a ~$300-$500 GPU upgrade away from getting better-than-console performance. But that's even if you think you absolutely have to beat console performance. If you're still at 1080p or only wanna play Roblox/Minecraft/LoL/The Sims/Fortnite, etc., that lowers the bar considerably, possibly all the way down to the PC you might already own.

I can't say how the PS5 Pro might tip things back in consoles' favor. What is that gonna be like? A 4070 without frame gen or something? Then again, RTX 50, RDNA 4, and Battlemage might show up around the same time. Either then or sometime in the front half of 2025, the kind of GPU you can get for $500 is gonna look very different.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I cant really just hope that one day it'll drop in price. Or stress that what if when I buy it, it drops in price right after.

I'll just buy it when I want to and have money set aside for it.