• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
It's not stanning, it's simple accuracy. The rumor was controversial and also said a lot we can't verify one way or the other yet (disagreement within the team over series direction, 5th gen Switch game coming from 2nd team, Sony exclusivity deal specifically locking out Nintendo, etc) but come on. It literally spilled the beans on XX and World and was largely accurate on both. You're really just wrong on this one.

Believe what you want

The rumor did more damage than good for the community imho

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Look, you can deride the 4chan rumor if you want but the objective reality is it got significantly more right than it did wrong.
The 4chan rumor was pretty clear that World was going to be significantly dumbed down/westernized in a way that was designed to piss off any hardcore MH fans reading it. For all of the right info it had, it was still full of wording that was intentionally divisive and meant to rile people up.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
The 4chan rumor was pretty clear that World was going to be significantly dumbed down/westernized in a way that was designed to piss off any hardcore MH fans reading it. For all of the right info it had, it was still full of wording that was intentionally divisive and meant to rile people up.
Eh, but much of the streamlining and QOL refocus was right though. And the game was designed with the global market in mind (a series first), the "dumbed down" takeaway was less the rumor itself and more people weaponizing it.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
It was probably accurate info through the lens of a biased 4chan user so it was worded in a more controversial way than it should have been

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
If people want hunting games on nintendo platforms they should just copy what PSP did and make a bunch of unsuccessful monster hunter clones after the series left.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
If people want hunting games on nintendo platforms they should just copy what PSP did and make a bunch of unsuccessful monster hunter clones after the series left.

The series didnt leave

It has XX and will presumably be getting some sort of bridge/side game though the hints of that are very slim

They dont overlap announcements even if there is parallel development and we know they have pulled people and mixed staff all over the place over the course of world/icebornes development

I imagine that even though they massively boosted their staffing numbers that they are still spread thin and things are gonna come slower than they usually do... Though i feel silly even saying that

Between world, Iceborne and the XXport we are still getting damn near annual series releases and I imagine the gap between this supposedly upcoming switch game and MHW2 will follow a similar pattern

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
It was probably accurate info through the lens of a biased 4chan user so it was worded in a more controversial way than it should have been
OK, so I couldn't remember the exact specifics of the rumor(s) so I looked them up. Here's what I got
1477622794517.jpg
mh5_ps4-2.jpg

Things that stand out as wrong:
  • Timer and Missions are gone
  • Complicated weapons are not planned, or have been streamlined (could be talking about Bow though)
Things that could be interpreted as wrong or at least not quite right:
  • Open World (maps are significantly more open than in previous games, but it's not an open world game per the traditional definition)
  • Focus on legacy monsters (yeah we got back Rathalos, Diablos, Kushala, etc., but there's more new monsters than old in the base game. But they are certainly identifiable)
  • Combat is changed to be more accessible (controls are more responsive and we get stuff like damage numbers, but most of the core combat is more or less what we got in previous games)
  • Moving away from gathering and preparation (gathering is much easier to do now, but you still do it. Same with preparing for hunts)
So in the end, there's clearly some 100% wrong info in here, and a lot of what's right is being viewed through a clear bias. Because of this, I can't take much stock in what they say about any corporate dealings about this game.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
OK, so I couldn't remember the exact specifics of the rumor(s) so I looked them up. Here's what I got
1477622794517.jpg
mh5_ps4-2.jpg

• Complicated weapons are not planned, or have been streamlined (could be talking about Bow though)
  • Open World (maps are significantly more open than in previous games, but it's not an open world game per the traditional definition)
  • Focus on legacy monsters (yeah we got back Rathalos, Diablos, Kushala, etc., but there's more new monsters than old in the base game. But they are certainly identifiable)
  • Combat is changed to be more accessible (controls are more responsive and we get stuff like damage numbers, but most of the core combat is more or less what we got in previous games)
  • Moving away from gathering and preparation (gathering is much easier to do now, but you still do it. Same with preparing for hunts)
So in the end, there's clearly some 100% wrong info in here, and a lot of what's right is being viewed through a clear bias. Because of this, I can't take much stock in what they say about any corporate dealings about this game.
Hmm

Ofc things can change in development but a 4chan post doesn't deserve that level of trust

So it seems it got the big picture right by luck but whiffed on the details

Also said 2018 for MH Switch lol

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Believe what you want

The rumor did more damage than good for the community imho
Yeah I'm sure that people saying handhelds MH were shit and that it was "coming home" didn't do damage to the community.
That the ones shutting down XX localization talks to say "just talk about World and buy it" didn't do damage to the community.
That the fans not wanting to hear criticisms about how the PC port was handled and saying people just had to double dip didn't do damage to the community.
That Capcom itself refusing to reply to simple questions (PC delay, Switch questions, XXS, World sales goals before release, etc) wasn't a pain compared to the past.

Don't act like a rumor most people don't even remember did more damage to the community than anything else in the past two years.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
1477622794517.jpg
mh5_ps4-2.jpg

Oh yeah, the timer/missions thing is wrong too. Your "interpreted" list isn't though, those are more accurate really even if not 100% on the money. We also know (presuming the leaker is being truthful) that this is all second hand from a Capcom USA employee they were playing WOW with so there's obviously room for things getting misconstrued along that chain of communication.

Personally I think the things it nailed mean there's credence here. The most questionable parts of the leak are the corporate intrigue and that's stuff we'll never be able to verify or debunk so I sort of set it aside. That's not the real meat of it anyway.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
I have frankly abandoned any and all hope of good Capcom support.

There are lots of cool games getting ported that I've never played before so while they're at least new to me, I'd love to see some new efforts on the platform. But we're just not getting them, so...

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, just make a portable scaled down version of World and call it a day.
OK, but it's not the graphics that need to be scaled down (OK they do, but it's not the biggest hangup). It's the environmental detail and the number of simultaneous AI creatures running around. It could probably be done, but I wonder if that would compromise some of their vision for World.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They probably would if they were contractually allowed to sell that on Switch in Japan.

You only have to look at how Capcom has handled Switch in general to know that there probably isn't anything specific stopping them.

They're just not interested, and people need to come to terms with that.

RPGamer2

Jul 19, 2018
"The lack of a new Monster Hunter entry on Switch seems a bad business decision"

There has been a lack of a new Monster Hunter entry period. Worlds was announced at E3 2017, 3 months after the Switch's release. So are you championing that Capcom should have released a Switch version when it was unproven? A proper way to handle the thread would have been to address all issues with Monster Hunter World that would make it "better for business" like having the PC versions release along side the console versions, having cross play between platforms, not just signaling the need for a future Switch version.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
You only have to look at how Capcom has handled Switch in general to know that there probably isn't anything specific stopping them.

They're just not interested, and people need to come to terms with that.

They seem interested in porting everything they can to Switch. Everything not on RE Engine at least. Usually fairly late.

I see no reason why they wouldn't port MHW too if they were contractually able to.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
OK, but it's not the graphics that need to be scaled down (OK they do, but it's not the biggest hangup). It's the environmental detail and the number of simultaneous AI creatures running around. It could probably be done, but I wonder if that would compromise some of their vision for World.

Probably about as much as Portable 3rd compromised their vision for Tri(actually probably less).
They seem interested in porting everything they can to Switch. Everything not on RE Engine at least. Usually fairly late.

I see no reason why they wouldn't port MHW too if they were contractually able to.

They've only released one game that wasn't a late port on Switch, Mega Man 11. They're second "current gen" game is Shinsekai.

All of their last gen ports are not only years late, but also more expensive.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm sure that people saying handhelds MH were shit and that it was "coming home" didn't do damage to the community.
That the ones shutting down XX localization talks to say "just talk about World and buy it" didn't do damage to the community.
That the fans not wanting to hear criticisms about how the PC port was handled and saying people just had to double dip didn't do damage to the community.
That Capcom itself refusing to reply to simple questions (PC delay, Switch questions, XXS, World sales goals before release, etc) wasn't a pain compared to the past.

Don't act like a rumor most people don't even remember did more damage to the community than anything else in the past two years.

Come off it that door swings both ways

And i haven't taken part in any of that shit nor condone either side of that toxic circle

What is this even supposed to mean this post

Neither of those attitudes are worth defending

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I don't see how rehashing these old rumours, from a perspective of blaming either 'side', helps the point of discussion in this thread, which is rooted in the Monster Hunter franchise's situation right now.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
They've only released one game that wasn't a late port on Switch, Mega Man 11. They're second "current gen" game is Shinsekai.

All of their last gen ports are not only years late, but also more expensive.

What current gen games besides MM11 and Shinsekai are there that aren't on the RE Engine? MHW and SFV, a PS4 exclusive? Am I forgetting one?

Anyway I have not seen anyone attempt to explain why MHW is not on XB1 in Asia so the simplest possible explanation is it's a PS4 console exclusive there. Which is why there is no business sense in porting MHW to Switch when it cannot be sold in the one region where it would be guaranteed to do enormous numbers.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017

I do doubt Capcom signed a Sony deal expressly forbidding a Switch port of World. At the same time though it's clear there's an exclusivity deal for Asia specifically which I think can be argued would significantly dull the drive for a Switch release of World.

Basically doing "5 Portable" makes more sense in that context so they could still release in the franchise's (current) largest national market.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I do doubt Capcom signed a Sony deal expressly forbidding a Switch port of World. At the same time though it's clear there's an exclusivity deal for Asia specifically which I think can be argued would significantly dull the drive for a Switch release of World.

Basically doing "5 Portable" makes more sense in that context so they could still release in the franchise's (current) largest national market.

Right, that's exactly what I'm referring to. A regional console exclusivity deal.

Probably in exchange for Sony's massive marketing campaign for the game. Can't really blame them for making that deal if it's the case.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Personally, I don't care about any contractual bullshit so long as they keep making Monster Hunter games on consoles (including Switch). I'd hate to see a World port on switch. I don't think it would sell nearly as well, and there would have be significant scale backs because of the hardware, and not tolerable ones like Witcher 3. I'd much rather see Switch with its own portable series. It could take on its own direction continuing hunter arts/styles and segmented maps if they want, I don't care. I just want more Monster Hunter, lol.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I don't care about any contractual bullshit so long as they keep making Monster Hunter games on consoles (including Switch). I'd hate to see a World port on switch. I don't think it would sell nearly as well, and there would have be significant scale backs because of the hardware, and not tolerable ones like Witcher 3. I'd much rather see Switch with its own portable series. It could take on its own direction continuing hunter arts/styles and segmented maps if they want, I don't care. I just want more Monster Hunter, lol.

I agree and honestly a potential portable 5th style game with a different artstyle and scope would be far more exciting

No reason for it to be platform exclusive but i wouldn't care either way

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I agree and honestly a potential portable 5th style game with a different artstyle and scope would be far more exciting

No reason for it to be platform exclusive but i wouldn't care either way
That's pretty much where I am too. Something for the portable line that plays to it's strengths and isn't necessarily exclusive seems like it would fill the gap between MHW and the years-off MHW2 nicely.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What current gen games besides MM11 and Shinsekai are there that aren't on the RE Engine? MHW and SFV, a PS4 exclusive? Am I forgetting one?

Anyway I have not seen anyone attempt to explain why MHW is not on XB1 in Asia so the simplest possible explanation is it's a PS4 console exclusive there. Which is why there is no business sense in porting MHW to Switch when it cannot be sold in the one region where it would be guaranteed to do enormous numbers.
MVC: Infinite.

But they're also evidently not interested in developing new games for the platform either, it's secondary to even Apple Arcade. That's not changing in the platform's 4th year.

People bend over backwards to justify why publishers can't support Switch, rather than simply accepting that they don't want to(for better or worse).

RealDealRusty

Jan 8, 2019
I'd be fine of MHW sequel is PC and other consoles, but we get a Monster Hunter like Generations, but with some of the QoL features of world implemented.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
MVC: Infinite.

But they're also evidently not interested in developing new games for the platform either, it's secondary to even Apple Arcade. That's not changing in the platform's 4th year.

People bend over backwards to justify why publishers can't support Switch, rather than simply accepting that they don't want to(for better or worse).

My whole argument is that they would do a late port of MHW if they could. Late ports is exactly how they are supporting the Switch. I completely agree that expecting a new title is a bit silly given their business strategy.

Oct 25, 2017
It's only a bad business decision if MHW wasn't doing great. But that game is still going strong with a new-ish expansion and Capcom is probably pleased enough with that to think they may not need the Switch. I'd LOVE a new MonHun on the Switch with World's QoL changes, but I get why it may not come for a while. If they could figure out if there's a market for folks who want a Switch MonHun but aren't playing World, then maybe. But I suspect there's a lot of overlap. It's a hardcore franchise and I suspect most of those players have both consoles.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My whole argument is that they would do a late port of MHW if they could. Late ports is exactly how they are supporting the Switch. I completely agree that expecting a new title is a bit silly given their business strategy.

Late ports of last gen(or earlier) games. The closest thing they've done to a downport is a port of the cross generation Resident Evil Revelations 2.

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
I would agree with this except I'm like 150 hours into MHGU and I just barely got to high rank. You could play that game for *years* if you wanted to.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Late ports of last gen(or earlier) games. The closest thing they've done to a downport is a port of the cross generation Resident Evil Revelations 2.

Shinsekai is a late port of a current gen game. And one of only 4 current gen games that don't run on an engine that they apparently haven't ported to Switch.

I don't think they care what generation a game is in, they'll do a late port of any game they can. And Mega Man 11 was also a downport.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Shinsekai is a late port of a current gen game. And one of only 4 current gen games that don't run on an engine that they apparently haven't ported to Switch.

I don't think they care what generation a game is in, they'll do a late port of any game they can. And Mega Man 11 was also a downport.

Shinsekai is an Apple Arcade game, not a big boy console game.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
That's pretty much where I am too. Something for the portable line that plays to it's strengths and isn't necessarily exclusive seems like it would fill the gap between MHW and the years-off MHW2 nicely.
That would be perfect. A portable game with all the nice things that implies meanwhile World 2 is in the oven. Monster happiness for everyone!

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Shinsekai is an Apple Arcade game, not a big boy console game.

What's the distinction there? Resident Evil Revelations 2 is a big boy console game. Mega Man 11 is a big boy console game. They decided to downport both.

Their strategy with Switch is late ports out the wazoo. I don't see why that would be any different with MHW if they were contractually permitted to do it.