• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lexad

"This guy are sick"
Nov 4, 2017
c07.gif
Sums up that video nicely

Deleted member 47318

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 1, 2018
A "kingdom hearts is silly!" video? Very creative Jim. Especially when you admit you have barely played the series.

I usually agree with Jim, but just pointing out that the series is silly through basic observations and trying to relay an info dump summary of the plot of a franchise stretched over 17 years is the most unoriginal thing he could have done this week.

It means nothing to the people actually invested in a complex mythos of lore. Its like trying to say Star Wars is silly. You could say that, but...
Always on time that Jim. Certainly not beating a dead horse and trying to milk the trend of people making videos about KH story being dumb gibberish.

No need to expect that habit of his to change, honestly. Most everything he does is basically parrot whatever's been said on Gaf/Era the week or so before.

The more bizarre thing is to see the community praise him for it, when it's nothing that should be new to them.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
why is jim so freaking clickbaity? everything he does seems to be meant to offend a fan base a gain clicks.

and before people says that he doesn monetize his videos, there are plenty of trolls out there happy to give him money just to see him make other people angry
Oh come on lol. I'm not the biggest fan of his videos in general, but if anyone is actually getting angry at his videos... I would tell these people to lighten the fuck up. ^^

Let people have fun with things.
Back at ya. ;)

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
I don't get why people get so upset at saying KH has a confusing story. Of course it does, it's 17 years worth of story told out of order that decided to introduce time travel into it in the 6th installment. The over use of key words like hearts and darkness don't help.

Like, I love Fate, but if you included every property/spinoff and put them on a timeline, it gets overly confusing and stupid. I can admit that and still find enjoyment in most of the series properties.
It's not really a confusing story, it's just a story told over multiple entries spread across different systems that may take some effort to reach it all and some degree of processing to understand it. I can understand why many are confused at it but that's through their own lack of effort in playing all the games in the series, it would feel similarly confusing to skip half the Yakuza or Metal Gear Solid games and jump in at the latest entry.
For those who genuinely feel the plot is confusing it'd be great to hear the actual plot points that you're finding difficult to understand.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Guess what? It was from the beginning, it didn't suddenly became jibberish and bringing out a video now seems really hungry for those KH3 zeitgeist clicks, It's a video game about dark and light and Disney characters, who cares if it's jibberish if the game is fun.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I think his core criticism about so many offshoot games diminishing KH3 because of the way the story bloats and tangles instead of expanding is dead on. Honestly, the call-out of the lack of useful variation in the game's vocabulary for describing its own elements is meaningful.

Oct 25, 2017
The video is one thing, but he's being insufferable about it on social media right now in a way that a small child misbehaves for attention when his or her parents are otherwise occupied.

Deleted member 6263

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
KH has a confusing story and/or timeline? Whaaaaa?? This is the first I've heard of it, Jim. Thank you for your completely fresh new take on a topic that surely hasn't been beaten to death already.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
The story is one thing, for me it's the dialogue that leaves me bewildered. It's is so poorly written and the delivery always sounds like the VAs are phoning it in or have no actual context for what they bare saying.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh come on lol. I'm not the biggest fan of his videos in general, but if anyone is actually getting angry at his videos... I would tell these people to lighten the fuck up. ^^

oh yeah definetely, but i used to look up to jim because he always seemed to call bulshit when it was needed, lately not so much.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
All this talk of KH's plot being hot, confusing garbage is making me really nervous.

I've only played the first KH on its original release on PS2 and i don't remember much of the plot
(Something something portals, something something Mickey missing)

I'm excited for KH3 , that's why I got the PS4 collection with all the games. But all this talk is killing my hype and interest :s hmmm

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm in the camp of people that think Kingdom Hearts started off fine enough and then meandered into a unnecessary mess of stupid with its story, but I've played almost everything in the series in large part thanks to the Disney fanservice and occasional injection of Final Fantasy cameos, though that seems like a distant afterthought at this point.

I'm already starting to get exhausted of the same exact points being raised over and over, though, and I'm hoping KH fans can just kind of enjoy their moment with III this week without the rest of us casting our very visible and obvious judgment about it.

At its outset, KH was legitimately poised to have enough "starpower" to kind of win me over as a superfan, but its convolution created a lot of distance between me and that initial starry-eyed perception for what the series could be. That will always disappoint me, but it's clear that the series still managed to find a devoted audience without going down that path and while I may not like that path myself, I do respect it for managing to find that audience that really cares -- I feel that's a pretty significant feat, to kind of build itself up under the enormous weight and expectation that folks like me place on it for its very visible and key featuring of bigger entertainment franchises. I know that audience it managed to find isn't small, too.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
bookmarking for later - this will at least be entertaining. if you're so attached to this game that you can't take someone poking fun at it, just relax and remember everybody loves something someone else hates.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Donald Duck says the name Sephiroth so it's basically the perfect narrative.

KH is dumb, silly, and convoluted and that's why it's entertaining. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Despite how it may seem, i was actually far more triggered at a comment in the video saying that "Kingdom heart's plot makes more sense than the Fate franchise", than the video itself, lol.

If you include every single Fate property, including KnK thanks to FGO, then it absolutely is more confusing or at least on par with Kingdom Hearts.

b6kid5znzde11.png

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
And what about "Kingdom Hearts Unchained χ" which was renamed "Kingdom Hearts Union χ" for... reasons, not to be confused with "Kingdom Hearts χ" which is a different game.

A major plot point of BBS is the X Blade, which is pronounced keyblade.

This series is stupid. I'm ok with it being stupid but it's also fun to poke fun at how stupid it is

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
All this talk of KH's plot being hot, confusing garbage is making me really nervous.

I've only played the first KH on its original release on PS2 and i don't remember much of the plot
(Something something portals, something something Mickey missing)

I'm excited for KH3 , that's why I got the PS4 collection with all the games. But all this talk is killing my hype and interest :s hmmm

Perhaps you should play through those games you bought and form your own conclusion instead of simply listening to people who want to make jokes.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
oh yeah definetely, but i used to look up to jim because he always seemed to call bulshit when it was needed, lately not so much.

It's okay to take the absolute piss out of fandoms every now and then, especially if you can mix satire with a grain of truth.

That truth being how convoluted and messy Kingdom Hearts is, considering you actually need to go online and try and look for a playthrough watch/order mixed with the stupid game titles. The Resetera topic https://www.resetera.com/threads/kingdom-hearts-series-correct-order-the-tetsuya-nomura-guide.12903/

Then you take that and wrap it in a bit of trolling because if we know one thing it's that video game fans respond well to a 7/10 score or some light jabs at their favourite franchise.

Gamers, always known as being able to take a joke or satire. Never getting unreasonably upset because a corporation or series gets made fun of. That's gamers alright.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
I mean, I could say the same thing about most things with an incredibly convoluted plot like MGS or even darling FF7. Let people enjoy their Disney fanfic..

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
If you include every single Fate property, including KnK thanks to FGO, then it absolutely is more confusing or at least on par with Kingdom Hearts.

b6kid5znzde11.png

I mean, if you put it out in a confusing timeline like that, of course its going to sound intimidating and confusing for people who have no context for any of it. But if you actually go through the franchise normally, then it becomes 90% less confusing.

To begin with though, why would you immediately throw out the ENTIRE nasuverse lore at once, instead of easing people into specific series to get them up to speed on basic lore and world view like your supposed to?

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Tried the first one years ago because the premise of a Disney/FF crossover appealed to me and it did deliver in that regard despite that the action was decent at best and the platforming was clunky. It still had the classic Square pretense but it was enjoyable.

Never even bothered with the sequel because I kept hearing the story only got more stupid and you needed to play other games on top of that to understand what was happening.

So yeah, this video is for me.

How is this "controversial"?

This is like, the opposite of controversial.

Oct 30, 2017
I'm relatively new to the franchise, but I quite enjoy the bizarre, incoherent anime trashiness of it all. I enjoy it in the moment, and think of it as like watching someone else's dream.

I don't really understand why people feel the need to shout about it. I don't think anybody actually thinks Kingdom Hearts has a coherent, well paced traditional narrative. It's clear from the start that it isn't that, and isn't trying to be either.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Let's be real- The universe is gibberish at this point.

I've played the first two and tried to watch a recap video... Seriously, what he fuck is going on?

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
DARKNESS OF THE LIGHT OF THE DARK THAT IS THE LIGHT.

I dont think Jim is wrong...about many of his points, but like...you can pretty much say the same about anything people like if you distill them down. If the fans like it, why just he take this time to be a click baiter and simply dunk on it for low hanging fruit clicks when it should be a happy time almost 14 years in the making for people who actually care? It just rubs me the wrong way.

If you think KH is dumb enough that you dont care about it, fine, dont engage.

The fun part is to engage though.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
I sense no lies. As soon as I heard KH3's story was no less convoluted trash as the previous two, my order was cancelled.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
That's just because of Nasu's penchant for wanting deep explanations for all the world building. Its easy to understand in the context of the stories themselves, and are much less important.

Magic circuits for example, have an entire dictionary laid out for them in case you want a deep dive on how they work and all that , but in effect, they are simply magical veins that allow people to use magic, and that's all you need to logically know in the story.

The wiki is for people who want to know the detailed backround of certain things, but are not insane enough to go through all the lore. But its not really needed to understand the story.

I mean, I don't exactly love Nasu's style of writing but I can appreciate that his world building is very detailed and theoretically consistent due to it.

I just wouldn't exactly say KH is less convoluted/confusing/coherent compared to it, especially due to how his line-by-like writing reads.

(for context: I played a route and a half of the VN many years ago; I don't dislike the series or anything)

Back at ya. ;)

Not talking about Jim, or actual criticism, to be clear. And not talking about people just not liking the games. It's the way people talk about other people who enjoy it.

This isn't even coming at it as a fan. It's just... tired? Mocking people for liking a thing just because you don't like what it's going for is tired, especially when it's a behavior you'be never re-examined. It's playground or forum-war behavior.

Especially when you could throw reasonably many similar criticisms at other big franchises and the same people would balk at it.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
DARKNESS OF THE LIGHT OF THE DARK THAT IS THE LIGHT.

The fun part is to engage though.

Jim's the guy who likes MGS, so its a particular breed of ironic that the low hanging fruit is not something he likes. I only played the first MGS years ago, but i'd never attack it for being convoluted to the point of not being able to get into, cause like many franchises, that's how it works.

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
From all the hot takes recently It seems that most people largely ignored all the spin offs and only played either 1 or 2 and are coming back to the series utterly lost.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Another shitty Jim sterling video, wow it's almost like he had given up doing anything good and just wants to post shitty hot takes with no substance.

Deadlast

Oct 27, 2017
People saying that Jim hasn't played the series HAVE NOT WATCHED THE VIDEO because he clearly states he's been with it since the beginning and adored the early entries.

Sheesh guys. Come the fuck on!
Yeah. The whole "I read the title and know exactly what the video is about" drive by post are kind of silly. The video is actually really funny and more about SE than kingdom hearts.

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
I think the point many people here are missing is, that when you go from one titled game to the other titled game, you shouldn't have to rely on around 9 games in between to understand the plot.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From all the hot takes recently It seems that most people largely ignored all the spin offs and only played either 1 or 2 and are coming back to the series utterly lost.

You can't blame people for not playing PSP, DS and 3DS games or browser games in order to understand a story when the main games are on home consoles. It's just not feasible for most people. Even the All-In-One package on PS4 does not have all of the required information.

Jaoox

Oct 27, 2017
It's one rare occasion where I feel like he missed the point.

Half the reason why I enjoy Kingdom Hearts is its insane plot.
Everytime something crazy happens it's just that much sweeter.

When I realized they added time travel in DDD I was cackling like a maniac... Yessss, just add even more layers.
There's just nothing like it.

Or maybe I've been Norted without realising it.
Who can say at this point.