• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kotto

CEO of Traphouse Networks
Nov 3, 2017
Look for yourself:
www.resetera.com

Era poll: Do you want Biden to win the 2020 Democratic Primary?

Seeing as every thread about Biden seems to have a "why don't you start an era poll about Biden if you're gonna assume how Era feels about him" post, I figured I'd just go ahead and get it over with and ask what Era thinks about Biden winning the primary. Let me start: No.

www.resetera.com

Democratic Presidential Primary |February OT| It Can't be Worse than Iowa, Right? (Discussion Guidelines in OP)

Greetings, users and lurkers of Era, to our first official 2020 Democratic Primaries & Caucuses OT! As you may know, the long national nightmare known as the 2020 Democratic Primary is coming to a head next month as ballots are cast in primaries and sweaty partisans take to caucuses to scream at...

www.resetera.com

Democratic Presidential Primaries & Caucuses |March OT| Last Tuesday was 1000 years ago, old news no one cares about (Discussion Guidelines in OP)

Alright, folks. Now we're playing for alllll the marbles. This OP will be briefer because frankly nobody read the first one anyway and I can't be assed. Super Tuesday Alright, the big one. Super Tuesday is March 3rd this year, and you'd better believe that people are watching it closely. Even...

Very few Biden #1 people. Lots of Bernie and Warren supporters.

And anecdotally from posting a lot in PoliERA through 2019 and early 2020 the only candidates who had less support than Biden were Marianne, Tulsi, Bloomberg and the ilk.
I followed those threads. Biden support was definitely there and done nothing but grow because we gotta vote blue no matter who.

"People on this forum" were not "crying for people to vote for" Biden in the primaries in any significant numbers. The vast majority of the board resigned themselves to voting for Biden once their preferred candidate was eliminated.
Now that is also a lie too lmao.

Like this shit even matters. Its whatever. People still cried about it during primaries or after. There was still a big metacommentary on it at some point. Pretty much anyone left moved to other corners of the forum or somewhere else because of the massive push to vote for this clown.

Last edited:

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Something something "I agree with you in the goal you seek" something something "more convenient season" something something.
I mean he literally wont be able to do anything.

Then wtf are you doing coming here to concern troll people who are interesting in doing more than hoping for the best? Cause I think vocal criticism of the man, and supporting those who challenge his policies and preconceived ideas of what is possible is infinitely more useful than just hoping for the best.
Unless you're for accelerationism, the idea that timing never matters is absurd. Nationalized races in red states dont often turn out well for Democrats unless you're running against a pedophile. There's nothing wrong with opting to consider your approach instead of always taking the leftist option no matter what. Failure could mean so much worse.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
The quote about executive orders kinda makes sense IMO.

Dude should stop talking when it comes to tone policing activists. If the most politically involved voters get told to stop talking then they'll be less likely to volunteer, donate, and even vote.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
Well, the primary was functionally over on March 6th so "between March and June" would be when people who didn't vote for Biden, like me, were making peace with their first choice not winning and coming around to voting Trump out.

Also I was responding to this statement:

"People on this forum" were not "crying for people to vote for" Biden in the primaries in any significant numbers. The vast majority of the board resigned themselves to voting for Biden once their preferred candidate was eliminated.
i don't know if you've considered this but "resigning oneself to biden" looks different on the outside when people who have faith the democrats are doing the resigning and people who have no faith for very well warranted reasons are doing the observing. People were shouted down for being wet blankets on the more shall we say 'optimistic' ways of selling biden by some prognosticators on this board. What people are not intrested in hearing was that there was no culture of creating a progressive pr image of biden that people were shouted down for pointing out had no real basis.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
i don't know if you've considered this but "resigning oneself to biden" looks different on the outside when people who have faith the democrats are doing the resigning and people who have no faith for very well warranted reasons are doing the observing. People were shouted down for being wet blankets on the more shall we say 'optimistic' ways of selling biden by some prognosticators on this board. What people are not intrested in hearing was that there was no culture of creating a progressive pr image of biden that people were shouted down for pointing out had no real basis.
Sure, I see what you're saying here, and I don't necessarily disagree. There was a rally-around-the-candidate effect once he clinched it that glossed over legit concerns
But that's a very different assertion than the one I was replying to.

That isn't a compelling response to several links showing what you said is inaccurate, but okay, you do you I guess.

Regardless, we're way off topic here, so I'm going to bow out of this back and forth.

Yogurt already forgot the "most progressive candidate in history" takes we got. 🥴🥴
Nope, literally acknowledged it in this post. But folks cheerleading for Biden once he got the nomination isn't "crying for people to vote for" him in the primary. C'mon at least have the dignity to admit when you're wrong about something, it happens 🤷

Last edited:

Kotto

Nov 3, 2017
Yogurt already forgot the "most progressive candidate in history" takes we got. 🥴🥴

That isn't a compelling response to several links showing what you said is inaccurate, but okay, you do you I guess.

Regardless, we're way off topic here, so I'm going to bow out of this back and forth.
You think I'm about to dig through 700+ page threads to confirm my statement on when people wanted this mummy in the white house? I have better use of my time elsewhere. 🤣

Besides, I know it happened. There's a damn graveyard on the last one for metacommentary and fighting.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Biden is absolutely incapable of taking criticism. Do you all remember when voters confronted him about different topics and he angrily told them to fuck off?

Dude is just a bully. I'll always remember his moments during the primaries where he was an aggressive, overbearing asshole.

Particularly this moment with a black climate activist

We're on the ground in Iowa asking all the candidates if they'll address the #ExtinctionCrisis by committing to a phase out of all U.S. fossil fuel production. Here's @JoeBiden's response:

I try to imagine myself in that position sometimes, and honestly probably nothing would change thanks to the power imbalance here.

But still I like to imagine I'd do to Joe what I'd do to any old white guy that repeatedly poked me in the chest and belittled my intelligence - I'd break that finger off in their ass.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
Sure, I see what you're saying here, and I don't necessarily disagree. But that's a very different assertion than the one I was replying to.

i mean that distinction seems to come from an arbitrary cutoff of the primary where the fact that people didn't like biden until it was biden versus bernie is memory-holed because apparently the primary ended on super tuesday. When in reality while Biden cemented front-runner status on Super Tuesday sure but it is incorrect to say the primary "ended".
So instead of admitting the preference, we end up with posters acting like the movement to biden wasn't comprised of individuals making a choice who could at least own up to the fact that in march it was still a choice.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017

Yeah...this isn't a good look for Biden

This is kinda what I've always expected of Biden. This transcript isn't really damning, just the same old centrist rhetoric he has been saying. There's not really anything new in there. The audio clip however is really just bad. Like fucking hell man, just fucking stop, these are the people who got you in.

Vocal criticism is super valuable - hopefully it'll get him to apologize and change his tune.

I don't think back-patting defeatism is useful or valuable. "I TOLD YOU GUYS EVERYTHING WOULD BE AWFUL." Cool, thanks for your contribution. He hasn't even taken office yet.

The fundamental difference between a Dem admin and a GOP admin, to me, is that with a Dem admin there's the possibility of change and progress in response to popular sentiment. A GOP admin is a guarantee of regression.
Yeah this is true. Biden might not be anyone's favorite but a Dem admin is definitely better than a GOP admin

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
They only way Biden could ever actually be "pushed left" on any of this stuff is if the public keeps up the pressure with even more protests and civil disobedience. Like we'd have to make his job of governing significantly more difficult unless and until he actually delivers. And I don't know if the populace has that kind of sustained energy left in it, to be frank.

FWIW, I've always considered those who insisted that we could "push Biden left" after electing him were either being extremely disingenuous or were in pretty heavy denial.

What people are not intrested in hearing was that there was no culture of creating a progressive pr image of biden that people were shouted down for pointing out had no real basis.
"Biden's decades-long record on [pick any one of several issues] leaves a lot to be desired."
"But the platform! Most progressive campaign in history!"

😑🔫

Dude is just a bully. I'll always remember his moments during the primaries where he was an aggressive, overbearing asshole.
Biden yelling at that Hispanic person to "vote for Trump" because of his entirely valid issues with Obama-era deportations was certainly a moment.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah this is true. Biden might not be anyone's favorite but a Dem admin is definitely better than a GOP admin

Yeah, Dems don't want to institute a fascist ethnostate like the GOP. That's a bit of a low bar for civil servants though. Also doesn't help that many of these GOP are still counted as friends and catered to by these same Democrats.

This is why activists push hard on the Democrats and should keep it on every day till he's in office and then every day he is in office. Doing less just normalizes the GOP, as has been the status quo for years. Dems like Biden with their wishy-washy aggressive centrism and continued sabotage of the left have all but helped the GOP, and they sure like using their power in the media to blame and silence the left in that overbearing asshole way that MLK and Malcolm X were calling out more than half a century ago.

This article is from early 2012, the good ol days Biden and the gang want to get back to:
WaPo: Let's just say it: The Republicans are the problem.
We have been studying Washington politics and Congress for more than 40 years, and never have we seen them this dysfunctional. In our past writings, we have criticized both parties when we believed it was warranted. Today, however, we have no choice but to acknowledge that the core of the problem lies with the Republican Party.

The GOP has become an insurgent outlier in American politics. It is ideologically extreme; scornful of compromise; unmoved by conventional understanding of facts, evidence and science; and dismissive of the legitimacy of its political opposition.
Today, thanks to the GOP, compromise has gone out the window in Washington. In the first two years of the Obama administration, nearly every presidential initiative met with vehement, rancorous and unanimous Republican opposition in the House and the Senate, followed by efforts to delegitimize the results and repeal the policies. The filibuster, once relegated to a handful of major national issues in a given Congress, became a routine weapon of obstruction, applied even to widely supported bills or presidential nominations. And Republicans in the Senate have abused the confirmation process to block any and every nominee to posts such as the head of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, solely to keep laws that were legitimately enacted from being implemented.

So the GOP have been terrible for a long time. Even still, activists get blamed for the failures of moderates to win while Joe and the gang get to all but whitewash and excuse their Repub friends. This was the dynamic throughout the entire Obama admin, and we saw how that all ended. No more of the same insanity.

Folks who encouraged young ppl to turn out& vote bc "you can work to influence the coming admin" should be encouraging, not cry division, when they do just that. Lobbyists don't ever sit back & give admins "a chance." #1 mistake is thinking our democracy is "set it & forget it"

So there is no waiting till x happens with y. There is only today and the truth. And today's truth is that Joe is a scapegoating and lying asshole.

And if these are the kind of closed door conversations that liberals want to nuke protests and other direct action for as to not scare away their precious racist white moderates, then the Democratic party can kiss my whole black ass.

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Like this shit even matters. Its whatever. People still cried about it during primaries or after. There was still a big metacommentary on it at some point. Pretty much anyone left moved to other corners of the forum or somewhere else because of the massive push to vote for this clown.

That's some genuinely bullshit revisionist history on your part. Before this post I thought maybe I didn't pay close enough attention to the Era polls and missed a Biden upswing, but this makes it clear that you're straight up lying.

There was a massive push all right, and it was to bully people off the site for accepting that Biden was going to be the nominee, along with the supporters of anyone who didn't drop out in time for Bernie to get his ass kicked slightly less hard, and anyone who expressed any doubt about the Reade allegations. People did leave because they were sick of being constantly dog piled and having their threads brigaded, and a bunch of people responsible were only banned because they didn't know when to stop.

More on topic, Biden is doing a bang up job of reminding me why I didn't want him, why he wasn't popular here, and why his SC win was a surprise- he didn't even support some of the bare minimum policies that people wanted, like marijuana legalization, and long shots like substantial police reform are clearly off the table. He's going to be better than Trump or any other Republican, but he clearly isn't going to do right by the people who carried him to victory in the primary and the general, which is both pathetic and shortsighted.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vocal criticism is super valuable - hopefully it'll get him to apologize and change his tune.

I don't think back-patting defeatism is useful or valuable. "I TOLD YOU GUYS EVERYTHING WOULD BE AWFUL." Cool, thanks for your contribution. He hasn't even taken office yet.

The fundamental difference between a Dem admin and a GOP admin, to me, is that with a Dem admin there's the possibility of change and progress in response to popular sentiment. A GOP admin is a guarantee of regression.
It's more like he's actively being awful and people are taking issue with that rather than being like "huh let's see where this goes".

In theory what you are saying is true, in practice with this president it's looking to be more and more unlikely to get significant change on a plethora of issues as he moves closer to the presidency.

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
I followed those threads. Biden support was definitely there and done nothing but grow because we gotta vote blue no matter who.

Nah, I pretty much got crap everytime I crapped on Joe (got banned while doing it because I missed the thread warning, learning lesson there). Joe sucks, he sucked since he was first elected, and especially sucks now. At least he's better than re-electing the Nazi's, if only slightly better. Don't forget Joe thinks the Republicans are swell guys, and has such as much (I am paraphrasing and nailing his intent).

More on topic, Biden is doing a bang up job of reminding me why I didn't want him, why he wasn't popular here, and why his SC win was a surprise- he didn't even support some of the bare minimum policies that people wanted, like marijuana legalization, and long shots like substantial police reform are clearly off the table. He's going to be better than Trump or any other Republican, but he clearly isn't going to do right by the people who carried him to victory in the primary and the general, which is both pathetic and shortsighted.

Fully agree!

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
lmao @ Biden's tone in the audio. "Now listen up ya black whippersnapper, I've done a lot!"

lol, the paternalism in that audio basically reaches out to punch you in the face.

Hopefully the honorary black man can be disinvited to future cookouts

This Joe Biden interview is precisely why we gotta stop giving White people "invitations to the cookout" or fictive kinship status like "uncle." We can no longer applaud and reward liberal white people for showing basic decency or, worse, merely hiding their racism.

Sorry to the Joe defenders then and now, but there is no grace period set for Biden being a belligerent bully, especially when his target is Black people. Nor does he deserve any benefit of the doubt. That expired a couple decades ago.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
Look for yourself:
www.resetera.com

Era poll: Do you want Biden to win the 2020 Democratic Primary?

Seeing as every thread about Biden seems to have a "why don't you start an era poll about Biden if you're gonna assume how Era feels about him" post, I figured I'd just go ahead and get it over with and ask what Era thinks about Biden winning the primary. Let me start: No.

www.resetera.com

Democratic Presidential Primary |February OT| It Can't be Worse than Iowa, Right? (Discussion Guidelines in OP)

Greetings, users and lurkers of Era, to our first official 2020 Democratic Primaries & Caucuses OT! As you may know, the long national nightmare known as the 2020 Democratic Primary is coming to a head next month as ballots are cast in primaries and sweaty partisans take to caucuses to scream at...

www.resetera.com

Democratic Presidential Primaries & Caucuses |March OT| Last Tuesday was 1000 years ago, old news no one cares about (Discussion Guidelines in OP)

Alright, folks. Now we're playing for alllll the marbles. This OP will be briefer because frankly nobody read the first one anyway and I can't be assed. Super Tuesday Alright, the big one. Super Tuesday is March 3rd this year, and you'd better believe that people are watching it closely. Even...

Very few Biden #1 people. Lots of Bernie and Warren supporters.

And anecdotally from posting a lot in PoliERA through 2019 and early 2020 the only candidates who had less support than Biden were Marianne, Tulsi, Bloomberg and the ilk.
I was there. you don't need to quote 700 page threads at me. There were plenty of biden supporters. even before sc. to suggest otherwise is just revisionist

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Sorry to the Joe defenders then and now, but there is no grace period set for Biden being a belligerent bully, especially when his target is Black people. Nor does he deserve any benefit of the doubt. That expired a couple decades ago.

Yep, 100% agreed. He doesn't deserve any benefit of the doubt. Folks turned out for him, and now he has to deliver. The kind of language he's using doesn't inspire confidence that he will -- although I hope that he does.

It's also deplorable to speak to civil rights leaders like that. It cuts against the idea of healing the country, which should mean making at least some attempt to right injustices that have persisted since this country's founding (and well before), not simply throw a civility band-aid on things.

Jun 10, 2018
All I'm going to say is that Biden and moderates/liberals/Dem apparatus have 4 years to prove to me they'll do more than treat black people as politically expedient pawns before I divest from this farce of a system for good.

Desparadina

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
But we had to vote for the lesser evil tho!!! Like what the fuck did y'all was gonna happen? That he was suddenly gonna listen to minorities and their issues when he has a track record of brazenly and arrogantly ignoring our needs like the majority of the leadership of the Democratic Party? He may not be Trump, but he's definitely not the President who'll make things go back to 'normal' whatever the fuck that means. The question is how many of the people (on this forum and liberals) who decided that their vote for Biden was a vote for minorities won't fall into complacency when he continues to do shit like this.

Kotto

Nov 3, 2017
That's some genuinely bullshit revisionist history on your part. Before this post I thought maybe I didn't pay close enough attention to the Era polls and missed a Biden upswing, but this makes it clear that you're straight up lying.

There was a massive push all right, and it was to bully people off the site for accepting that Biden was going to be the nominee, along with the supporters of anyone who didn't drop out in time for Bernie to get his ass kicked slightly less hard, and anyone who expressed any doubt about the Reade allegations. People did leave because they were sick of being constantly dog piled and having their threads brigaded, and a bunch of people responsible were only banned because they didn't know when to stop.

If there was a big conversation about Biden supporters being bullied off (which is bullshit but whatever) would that not imply that there were a significant amount of supporters as I said?

lmao @ Biden's tone in the audio. "Now listen up ya black whippersnapper, I've done a lot!"
But definitely doesn't sound like Trump tho 🥴

Mar 8, 2020
Washington State
But we had to vote for the lesser evil tho!!! Like what the fuck did y'all was gonna happen? That he was suddenly gonna listen to minorities and their issues when he has a track record of brazenly and arrogantly ignoring our needs like the majority of the leadership of the Democratic Party? He may not be Trump, but he's definitely not the President who'll make things go back to 'normal' whatever the fuck that means. The question is how many of the people (on this forum and liberals) who decided that their vote for Biden was a vote for minorities won't fall into complacency when he continues to do shit like this.

I think those that are younger just haven't been around long enough to really see how entrenched the current establishment is in the hearts of life long politicians. Excluding honest souls like Bernie, there isn't a damn one of of them over the age of 50 that is truly about "change". One that would forgo career advancement and party favor for being an architect of fundamental change that takes the power away from the current holders and creates true equality. To be a leader who deconstructs the status quo, lead by example and show Americans that everything from our police state to the way we treat minorities is corrupt and broken. To allow themselves to be attacked by the establishment and most likely ruin their future in their party for the sake of real reform.

Talk is cheap. The campaign trail is always lies for these types. The backroom audio will always reveal their true intentions. There is no point in the "let's see what happens when they finally have the ability to make changes before we rush to judgement", rhetoric because that is just a fool's errand. Believed by the ignorant and the naive. And the youth.

Establishment gonna establishment. Always.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
If there was a big conversation about Biden supporters being bullied off (which is bullshit but whatever) would that not imply that there were a significant amount of supporters as I said?
They generally weren't Biden supporters. He was often the second or third choice. Many of the posters who left were being more pragmatic, i.e. Anyone But Trump, and any Dem as POTUS > Trump and GOP.