• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I hated Dante's new theme, the character art shift, devil breakers being consumable, and red orbs being purchasable. Each of these + the fact that I've never bought a game in the series at full price makes me hesitant.
MTX and Devil Breakers I understand (even tho I think they'll both be fine), but I personally wouldn't consider the first two as red flags for the game's quality.

At any rate, I think DMC5 will be what the fans want and even more. So if you enjoyed past DMC games or are interested in stylish action games, I don't think you'll have anything to worry about when it comes to DMC5.

J2d

Oct 26, 2017
I'd be really surprised if it goes over 3 mil honestly.I know the combofiends are salivating at every clip but I can't see today's market being that hot for it but I'd love to be proven wrong since I love capcom and I'll buy on a sale later on.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Dante's theme is probably going to be scrapped/replaced in DMC5. It hasn't' been shown in promotional material going forward.

The consumable arm thing is fine in the campaign because it serves as a learning tool. It gives you a way to learn the mechanics and be forced to use certain weapons and be out of your comfort zone. If you want to do the real fancy weapon swap combos then we have the Void mode where you can do what you want with the Breakers equipped (no need to worry about picking them up, breaking or swapping). I was a big complainer of the Devil Breaker in the past but there is a system in place for people who want to experiment with crazy combos to do so, which means I don't really have a reason to complain about it anymore.

MTX should never have been in the game just like in DMC4SE but they have said repeatedly that it's like DMC4SE which means it's a non factor as far as the whole "pay to win" bull shit is concerned. I just wish it wasn't so blatant in this.

The character art took a while to get used to but now I am loving it. Nero, Lady and Dante look great. Trish is the only who looks a bit off but her model that she is based after is very beautiful so I hope its just a few bad shots/renders that we got.

And as far as sales go this is probably around the 3-4 million sale category. Anything more is great for a DMC game, more than 3 million already puts it as the best selling DMC game of all time. As long as the franchise is growing or has room to grow, I am happy. These numbers aren't going to light up the charts but this is about the maximum that this sub genre can even attain.

oliverandm

Nov 13, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
I mean it's not being talked about all the time no, but it seems with every trailer that drops - be it cinematic or gameplay - it gets reasonable attention. Right now there's nothing though, so nobody talks about it.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm personally not very hyped because Dante isn't the main playable character. For me DMC = Dante, others are just guest stars that I don't use.

Also, I'm just not into beat em all as much as I used to be.

Son of Sparda

Oct 25, 2017
The stylish action genre is basically gone at this point. What else is there to play?
If you are so sure that you are not gonna enjoy the majority of the game, you can always try other genres.

Lets say they even confirm Vergil to be playable during campaign. It's not like V and Nero will each only get one mission and you play the rest of the game with Dante and Vergil. So even if they give you Vergil in the base game, you are still gonna end up with a game that you'll hate the majority of it based on what you earlier comments. So I honestly don't see why would you stick with this game when it's not for you.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
If you are so sure that you are not gonna enjoy the majority of the game, you can always try other genres.

Lets say they even confirm Vergil to be playable during campaign. It's not like V and Nero will each only get one mission and you play the rest of the game with Dante and Vergil. So even if they give you Vergil in the base game, you are still gonna end up with a game that you'll hate the majority of it based on what you earlier comments. So I honestly don't see why would you stick with this game when it's not for you.

There are basically no melee action games left in the industry as a whole. It's all shooters and multiplayer games now, or bad "RPGs" like Assassin's Creed with horrible mechanics that aren't even good at being RPGs.

If Capcom just balanced the game better rather than having Dante basically shunted into a corner in his own series, it wouldn't be a problem. But as it stands, there's really no alternative anymore as far as stylish action games are concerned.

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
A fifth version of any game is mostly lackluster... except GTA. But more of the same has their fans, but mostly not new excitement

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
There are basically no melee action games left in the industry as a whole. It's all shooters and multiplayer games now, or bad "RPGs" like Assassin's Creed with horrible mechanics that aren't even good at being RPGs.

If Capcom just balanced the game better rather than having Dante basically shunted into a corner in his own series, it wouldn't be a problem. But as it stands, there's really no alternative anymore as far as stylish action games are concerned.
There is still Bayo 3, but I totally get your point.

I'm not going to buy it, but I almost feel the need to just to support the genre. I still hope we see another Ninja Gaiden. I believe they have another good one in them, despite 3 and that cell shaded one.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's called Devil May Cry. Not Dante May Cry. Although his character started it, it's not his series and you'd have to be ignorant to think otherwise. He also hasn't been "shunted" as he has his own campaign in this game.

Deleted member 671

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I mean, Dante isn't so much being shunned as the franchise is growing. I love Dante, but the franchise needs to continue introducing new mechanics and characters if we want it to continue. Ezio was my favorite Assassin's Creed character but after three games I certainly didn't expect them to make another game starring Ezio. As it stands, there's a high chance he'll be the focal point of the upcoming Netflix series and he's got more weapons in DMC V than ever before (with different weapon stances he's got at least 12).

Son of Sparda

Oct 25, 2017

I obviously don't agree with you on this. I'm actually glad that Dante isn't the main focus (even tho it seems like he still plays a huge role in the game) but that's not my point.

You are saying that you are buying this game out of necessity and that you are not gonna enjoy most of it. Well if that's the case, then wouldn't be better to just completely ignore this game and the action stylish genre (since there aren't that many games in the genre anymore) and go for another title that you know you'd enjoy more? Even if it is in another genre.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I think you are vastly underestimating the game and how vastly beyond other action games it will be in terms of depth. But if incredibly deep combat systems (fighting game levels of deep) are not engaging enough to carry a game for you than thats fine.

Depth isn't always the answer to engagement. In many cases, a game just needs to be deep enough. I'm not going to play DMC 50 times over so I can perform endless, flashy combos. I'll enjoy the content that's there and then go and consume something else.

But, nevertheless, the games tone, it's approach to gameplay, and everything else are all likely to be similar to action games we've seen in the past. I appreciate that the game will have a lot of depth, I appreciate that it will have it's fair share of new mechanics and interesting systems, yet it will not provide that feeling of delving into a completely new series and experiencing everything for the first time.

I feel the same way about the RE2 remake.

Cube

May 18, 2018
Dante is my favorite videogame character, but introducing new playable characters in the series will help it grow. Yeah, it sucks that DMC4 Dante was just replaying Nero's levels except for the one with the Savior which sucked. I highly doubt this will be a repeat of DMC4 and Dante will have more relevance in the story. Didn't the devs say that it will be more personal for Dante? They also said the same thing about some other characters right?

I don't think there should be anything to worry about; Dante will have a lot of screentime and character development. I'm glad that V is in because that is someone new and just having Nero/Dante would make it feel very similar to DMC4 but that is not the case.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
This might be controversial, but as good as 5 looks I hope Itsuno gets to take another break from the series after it

Partly cause it's not always good to have one creator at the head of multiple titles in the same series (burnout) and partly cause I would like to see where it can be taken by someone else. I know Itsuno has an eye for encounter design that few can match, but I still think a Platinum games DMC6 could be a cool "once off" thing and maybe something that could get broader hype from people who know their games and style

Also I am saying this cause I want Itsuno to do Dragons Dogma 2 cause that first one was incredible.

Son of Sparda

Oct 25, 2017
yet it will not provide that feeling of delving into a completely new series and experiencing everything for the first time.
I mean it is called Devil May Cry 5 so that is to be expected isn't it.

I would understand your complaint if this was a new IP/series, but they are doing a sequel to an already established franchise so ofc they are gonna retain a lot of what made the franchise popular in the first place. Not every series needs to go the extremes that GoW 2018 went when doing a new sequel. As it is, action stylish genre is a dying breed so I for one am glad that Devil May Cry is sticking to its roots.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Dante isn't so much being shunned as the franchise is growing. I love Dante, but the franchise needs to continue introducing new mechanics and characters if we want it to continue. Ezio was my favorite Assassin's Creed character but after three games I certainly didn't expect them to make another game starring Ezio. As it stands, there's a high chance he'll be the focal point of the upcoming Netflix series and he's got more weapons in DMC V than ever before (with different weapon stances he's got at least 12).

The thing about AC is that all the characters play generally the same, so losing one isn't that big of a deal. The next one will have all the moves you're used to, give or take one or two that don't fit the time period. It might be a bummer to move on from a character you like, but the core gameplay carries on.

By comparison, you lose a character in DMC and that's an entire playstyle just gone. That's the issue more than anything else. De-emphasizing Dante in favor of characters like Nero who are less fun to play as and have less tools and options in battle just makes the franchise less fun overall.

And I can't help but get the feeling Capcom is trying to write Dante out of the franchise in favor of making Nero the main protagonist.

I obviously don't agree with you on this. I'm actually glad that Dante isn't the main focus (even tho it seems like he still plays a huge role in the game) but that's not my point.

You are saying that you are buying this game out of necessity and that you are not gonna enjoy most of it. Well if that's the case, then wouldn't be better to just completely ignore this game and the action stylish genre (since there aren't that many games in the genre anymore) and go for another title that you know you'd enjoy more? Even if it is in another genre.

The list of "other games I would enjoy more" is pretty much just one: KH3, and I was going to play that either way. Beyond that I have nothing to look forward to next year.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
The list of "other games I would enjoy more" is pretty much just one: KH3, and I was going to play that either way. Beyond that I have nothing to look forward to next year.
Seriously? Of all the games next year, it's just that one and a half you want?

I thought I was hard to please, but that's another level altogether.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
I think the "new fresh X factor" is V for this game and will probably convince people on the fence once they see his gameplay because there has never been a character action game with a ranged/summoner type character.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
MTX should never have been in the game just like in DMC4SE but they have said repeatedly that it's like DMC4SE which means it's a non factor as far as the whole "pay to win" bull shit is concerned. I just wish it wasn't so blatant in this.

Isn't there some new weapon that consumes red orbs to use? That combined with the orb MTX rubs me the wrong way.

It feels like any bad sentiment with this kind of stuff would have been easy to avoid.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't there some new weapon that consumes red orbs to use? That combined with the orb MTX rubs me the wrong way.

It feels like any bad sentiment with this kind of stuff would have been easy to avoid.
Yea but that weapon gives you more red orbs back. So it essentially acts like a red orb "farmer".

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Not every series needs to go the extremes that GoW 2018 went when doing a new sequel.
I think also GoW has more leeway to do an extreme reinventetion when a lot of its appeal lies in its sense of scale and enemy encounter designs but not necessarily in the bread and butter combat systems.

Like I know some GoW fans were disappointed by 2018 but I think the reboot did a great job of preserving the important parts (which for me are mostly presentational) while completwly reimagining a lot of the other stuff.

For something like DMC the most extreme thing they can do maybe is do a Dante-less game with a new fighting style (which I'd be down for)

But this is a series which kind of lives with the series niche restrictions as street fighter. It's kind of got to be this one thing really. Devil May Cry will never change the industry again like the first one did but that's fine I think.

Deleted member 671

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thing about AC is that all the characters play generally the same, so losing one isn't that big of a deal. The next one will have all the moves you're used to, give or take one or two that don't fit the time period. It might be a bummer to move on from a character you like, but the core gameplay carries on.

By comparison, you lose a character in DMC and that's an entire playstyle just gone. That's the issue more than anything else. De-emphasizing Dante in favor of characters like Nero who are less fun to play as and have less tools and options in battle just makes the franchise less fun overall.

And I can't help but get the feeling Capcom is trying to write Dante out of the franchise in favor of making Nero the main protagonist.

The developers have said they kinda feel that Dante is a "complete character". And now after 4 games of increasing his moveset and mechanics (forgetting about DMC 2 because its DMC 2) and 4 games and an animated series (soon to be a second animated series) for his character, they're kind of right. They can always give him new weapons and new styles, but they know fans have certain expectations for how Dante will play and act. And while I would literally play "Dante's Electric Boogaloo: Dante goes to the mall" because I love the character, that's kind of a hard sell for not only newcomers but its a hard sell for developers to want to work on. That's part of the reason they introduced Nero in the first place and I'm sure that's why they've introduced V: They have a ton of ideas that don't necessarily fit Dante but they want to see them realized.

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously? Of all the games next year, it's just that one and a half you want?

I thought I was hard to please, but that's another level altogether.

I thought about it some more and I'm not too far off from that myself. I'm beyond pumped for RE2, DMC5, and Sekiro...but beyond that I struggle to think of any other games confirmed for 2019 that I'm actively excited for.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
I can see how you'd get this impression like, off of ResetEra and other enthusiast sites, but give it a minute for the marketing machine to really start after RE2 launches and I'm sure it'll be a very different looking landscape.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I mean, I'll get Nioh 2 whenever the hell that comes out, but it's not even a real game yet. Beyond that, there really isn't much.
Strange, someone who's interested in DMCV, Kingdom Hearts 3 and Nioh 2 I would for sure presume they'd be interested in Sekiro at least.

Maybe it's because next year seems so front loaded that I have a false sense of how hyped I am for it as a whole. To be fair, I'm not sure there are any announced 2019 games that aren't Q1 that I want. Valley of Gods... That's about it.

Hopefully we'll get more launch windows next week.

darkslayer101

Oct 25, 2017
when itsuno san himself says he is not holding back and gonna be his magnum opus....

yea I think we should listen to the man

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The developers have said they kinda feel that Dante is a "complete character". And now after 4 games of increasing his moveset and mechanics (forgetting about DMC 2 because its DMC 2) and 4 games and an animated series (soon to be a second animated series) for his character, they're kind of right. They can always give him new weapons and new styles, but they know fans have certain expectations for how Dante will play and act. And while I would literally play "Dante's Electric Boogaloo: Dante goes to the mall" because I love the character, that's kind of a hard sell for not only newcomers but its a hard sell for developers to want to work on. That's part of the reason they introduced Nero in the first place and I'm sure that's why they've introduced V: They have a ton of ideas that don't necessarily fit Dante but they want to see them realized.

Oh, I hear you. And I understand the mentality behind it. too. It makes sense that the devs want to branch out after so many games. I have issues with the way they chose to implement their new ideas, not the fact that they had new ideas at all.

Strange, someone who's interested in DMCV, Kingdom Hearts 3 and Nioh 2 I would for sure presume they'd be interested in Sekiro at least.

Maybe it's because next year seems to front loaded that I have a false sense of how hyped I am for it as a whole. To be fair, I'm not sure there are any announced 2019 games that aren't Q1 that I want. Valley of Gods... That's about it.

Hopefully we'll get more launch windows next week.

Sekiro just doesn't appeal to me, honestly - a Souls game with heavy Tenchu inspiration and less RPG elements just sounds like the opposite direction I wanted to see From go. I might play it at some point, but I have zero hype for it. I don't even really watch the trailers.

But yeah, everything is kinda clustered in the first three months of 2019 - KH3, RE2, Sekiro, DMCV...it's a very heavy Q1.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I am boycotting DMC5 over its portrayal of women. But really, there does not seem to be a shortage of hype for what remains a game in a niche genre. You just won't find people talk about it everywhere.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Personally, I am boycotting DMC5 over its portrayal of women. But really, there does not seem to be a shortage of hype for what remains a game in a niche genre.
What's wrong with its portrayal of woman?

I'm genuinely asking, I only saw the first trailer, and I barely remember it.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
DMC3 is of the best games of all time for me.
But I didn't really like DMC4. Nero is a shit-character IMHO and he plays bad compared to Dante and Vergil. Really didn't like the grappling hook mechanics. And half of the game was backtracking, it was ridiculous.

So my biggest issue with DMC5 is Nero. My second biggest issue is the art-style. It looks off. Like some super weird mix between realistic and anime if you know what I mean.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Writing Dante out of the franchise is good for the longevity of it because it lets the next games have new different characters that translates into new different combat mechanics instead of using a character over and over as almost a marketing strategy that ends up killing franchises when all people ask is wheres Master Chief!!!

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
What's wrong with its portrayal of woman?

I'm genuinely asking, I only saw the first trailer, and I barely remember it.

I am disappointed that while Resident Evil has for the most part continued to be excellent to its female characters, DMC still treats them as pin up girls first and foremost. Lady's and Trish's design are trashy, and the latter has no reason to be stuck naked in a demon in need of saving in 2018. There also was an interview in which V was alluded to being a female playable, only for that to not be the case. I just want better.

Furisco

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ya'll over here arguing over dumb shit.
408161908856979457.png

Slim

Banned
Sep 24, 2018
I mean it is called Devil May Cry 5 so that is to be expected isn't it.

I would understand your complaint if this was a new IP/series, but they are doing a sequel to an already established franchise so ofc they are gonna retain a lot of what made the franchise popular in the first place. Not every series needs to go the extremes that GoW 2018 went when doing a new sequel. As it is, action stylish genre is a dying breed so I for one am glad that Devil May Cry is sticking to its roots.
Yeah, I don't understand why people expect a sequel to be groundbreaking, totally revamped, and all the fundamentals changed. It's a DMC title so ofc it's gonna be similar to the previous games.

Lastly, the photorealism (with 60FPS), new character, Nero's devilbreakers etc. If those changes aren't enough then I don't know what else people expect. Another reboot perhaps?
fuck DmC