Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So is there a reason that there's no official Gunpla tabletop game? Or is that just not an industry in Japanland that Bandai finds compelling?

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But no official Warhammer-esque Gunpla battle game is a severely missed opportunity. At least, it feels like that in the west.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh lord, GundamPlanet got the PG Wing Zero back in stock and I can actually afford it this Friday.

I'm aware of all the flaws, but I've wanted this since 2001. And with the Wing Blu rays coming out, I think the two would go well together.

hockeypuck

Oct 29, 2017
What's better than gaming backlogs? Gunpla backlogs.
ARSByj4.jpg

This will take me about 5 years, at my current rate.

Riddhe Marcenas is the worst Gundam character of all time.
You incorrectly spelled Quess Papaya

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So when did everyone here get into Gundam?

I think my robosexual awakening started with those Exo Force lego toys in the early 2000's, and I remember having a G Gundam action figure, but I didn't actually start watching until like, Spring of 2016 I think? I started with the English dub of the original Mobile Suit Gundam and by and large it's still one of my favorite TV shows period.

yami4ct

Oct 25, 2017
Building the MG ZZ Ver Ka right now. Man. This kit is incredible. Might top the PG Unicorn as my favorite kit Bandai has ever done. The engineering on this thing is incredible. It's really a 1/100 PG.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle

I think my robosexual awakening started with those Exo Force lego toys in the early 2000's, and I remember having a G Gundam action figure, but I didn't actually start watching until like, Spring of 2016 I think? I started with the English dub of the original Mobile Suit Gundam and by and large it's still one of my favorite TV shows period.

Sometime in the mid 80s. I had military brat cousins stationed over in Japan and they'd send me taped episodes of Zeta and ZZ, plus I'd get Macross (which was familiar due to Robotech airing here) and Gundam toys for Christmas. Got some random Votoms and Ideon stuff, too.

I watched some random episodes in high school while taking Japanese, but I got hardcore into Gundam in the late 90s when I got to college and had access to fansub VHS tapes at my university's anime club library.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Nice thread! Love the title.

This is pretty cliche, but Gundam Wing on Toonami. Was one of the coolest things I'd ever seen (that and Bebop on Toonami in the early 2000's like most other kids in the West). Caused me to seek out a lot of the Universal Century shows.

I still have a soft spot for Wing, but it's below a lot of earlier UC material for me these days. And even some newer stuff like Unicorn.

Gundam fandom overall for me is really all anime for whatever reason, as opposed to Gunpla or figures. Basically most of the UC material. Been a great few years for that with all the blu rays we're getting.

Jindrax

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think Gundam Wing is the best... Never understood why you guys hate it so.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017

Like a lot of people, my introduction was with Wing.

As for when I first fell in love with robots, it was probably with MMPR with the Megazord and G1/2 Transformers.

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017

Seed, found about it around 2003 pretty much when it finished airing in Japan.

Wing had done absolutely nothing for me but I was starting to get pretty deep into anime entering HS.
Through a schoolmate I stumbled onto Seed which immediately hooked me and it all went downhill from, complete with long Animesuki topics about every new Destiny episode and TV program synopsis spoiler discussion.

Thankfully, about the same time the original series DVD trilogy + CCA and F91 came out in France so that combined with whatever 90's series I could get my hands on rekindled my faith.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I think Gundam Wing is the best... Never understood why you guys hate it so.

Personally hated it on a rewatch after being a fan before that after seeing a good bit of the rest of the franchise. It had a massively empty plot imo. Everyone waxes nostalgic about it, but basically never talks about the story which says a lot to me.

Jindrax

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Omg quote notifications!? This forum has already suppressed neogaf haha

Valdfellgar

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Gundam 0083. Found it in the video store, when those things still existed. They only had the first two tapes but I was hooked. From there I bought the res via an FYE or whatever it was called at the time and the original trilogy movies, with that original "roboton invaders" dub.

I basically came in just as Gundam was getting its first and short lived western push.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

I bought an original no-grade Sentinel FAZZ from Mitsukoshi in EPCOT in the mid 90's on a family vacation. I didn't really know at the time it was tied to a huge franchise of stuff, I just thought it was cool robots you could put together and at the time was really into Lego so seemed like a no-brainer.

Sometime later I ran across the first VHS releases of either 0083 or the OG movie trilogy, and put two and two together. I think I watched most of the OYW stuff that way. Also sometime around there stumbled across some SFC gundam games that were pretty fun back when emulators first became a thing. When Wing aired on TV I was surprised. "What, I don't have to spend 20-25$ on two episodes anymore?"

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
Zeta Gundam vhs tapes a friend's brother got at some comic book convention and Animag from the late 80s

yeah im old

Oct 25, 2017
I think I saw the first 0079 movie when I was 13 and then got fully hooked into the franchise with Wing. Now at least with me I don't hold Wing on pedestal. I like it, but Zeta and Victory are my top two's.

Bashful Trey

Oct 27, 2017
Houston TX
I've never watched a Gundam show besides War in the Pocket. I loved it! I'm aware of Gundam and feel like I know what I'd like, which is less super-hero and more war drama. What would y'all suggest to me???

Foofaraw

Oct 25, 2017
This will take me about 5 years, at my current rate.

I mean, if this back log is bumming you out, I could help take some of that stress away from you. Those are all kits that have called to me.

Gundam Wing on Toonami, to the point where most of my online handles, have involved Trowa to some extent. If I were smarter, I would have gone with my man Domon Kasshu. G Gundam has been very fun to go back to.

Valdfellgar

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
I've never watched a Gundam show besides War in the Pocket. I loved it! I'm aware of Gundam and feel like I know what I'd like, which is less super-hero and more war drama. What would y'all suggest to me???

A lot of the Universal Century Gundam should be more up your ally. Assuming you're okay with the New Type Shenanigans then try:
OG Gundam Series
Zeta Gundam
Char's Counterattack
Gundam Unicorn

Gundam The Origin (A more fleshed out retelling of the One Year War's events, with added material before the main story begins. That's what the anime is currently adapting anyway.)

If the New Type Shenanigans are too much for you, these titles are most similar to War in the Pocket's grounded depiction of warfare (though you already watched what everyone considers the best so it's all down hill from here!):
Gundam 0083
8th MS Team
Gundam Thunderbolt

You could probably also watch the Gundam Movie Trilogy, rather than the Original TV Series, which cuts some of the more ridiculous aspects to the Original Series, and probably is close enough to your grounded war drama to overlook any new type stuff.

Oct 30, 2017
So, this got teased today.

DNde0RRVQAASi_J.jpg

It's an HGUC EWAC Jegan. Can someone tell me why this is expected to be online exclusive gunpla #59, that's due before 2018? Seriously, there are 58 kits planned for release before the end of the year that are online only. There are only 9 kits planned for retail, not counting Bearguy Jrs.

Bashful Trey

Oct 27, 2017
Houston TX
A lot of the Universal Century Gundam should be more up your ally. Assuming you're okay with the New Type Shenanigans then try:
OG Gundam Series
Zeta Gundam
Char's Counterattack
Gundam Unicorn
Gundam The Origin
(A more fleshed out retelling of the One Year War's events, with added material before the main story begins. That's what the anime is currently adapting anyway.)

snip

Great advice! Thanks for your help, Vald! I'll have to drop by when I watch some of these suggestions!

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
So, this got teased today.
*snip*
It's an HGUC EWAC Jegan. Can someone tell me why this is expected to be online exclusive gunpla #59, that's due before 2018? Seriously, there are 58 kits planned for release before the end of the year that are online only. There are only 9 kits planned for retail, not counting Bearguy Jrs.
I do wonder what the plans are for future gunpla in general, after we have gone through all the unicorn/buildfighters/ibo/thunderbolt waves. Unless I've missed anything about a new series or something.

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
I got into Gundam in like 94ish. My older sister was into fansub tape trading. And a few shows caught my eye. Dragon Ball, Ranma 1/2, and Gundam. I saw random eps of 0083, Victory, and G Gundam and was immediately hooked.

And the worst Gundam character is Kira Yamato.

DevilPuncher

"This guy are sick" and Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
Is 00 worth watching? After IBO I feel like taking another dive into one of the standalone timelines before I take a right and proper dive into the UC stuff.