Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Think I had a pretty good haul today.

20180126_171049.jpg

That NXEDGE Series Phantom is pretty nice. I nimig have to start collecting those figures.

Last edited:

Gespenst MKIV

Nov 1, 2017
Hopefully more BF S1 stuff and less Try. Or a new cast.
THIS

It's amazing how much TRY burned the good will that the original generated, Reiji and Sei where not the biggest personalities but compared to the wana be harem protagonist of Sekai, and the big pile of nothing that is Yuuma there is no competence.
Fumina seamed to interesting on the begining being the one that created the team then she traded her cool GM for a glorified upgrade pack for the other two, and by the time she ceme up with the Star Wining she was just another member of Sekai Harem.

I could go for a long time with all the thing I found lacking from TRY so I will stop here

Gespenst MKIV

Nov 1, 2017
I wouldn't mind more Seed if it was more like Stargazer and less like Destiny. Drop Kira and Shinn, you can keep an Athrun cameo. I may even accept Yzak raging at things.
I like what the last few SRW games have done with Shin as a veteran post series. Reading the UX Let's play from another forum and seeming him and Luna act as a mentor for the Fafner kids is kind of cool.
That said I'm not holding my breath for new SEED content besides some manga, it feels like that continuity moment in the light is over.

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't see an upside in exploring more SEED. It has a good OVA, An uneven but mostly okay series and the single worst thing in the franchise in it. Nothing is really that unique either to lend to particular storytelling opportunities.

If we are revisiting any AUs, give me more G Gundam or Turn A.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
I know it sounds cynic and I've said it in this thread already but a lot of things make more sense when you consider Gundam animation as glorified 25 minute long gunpla commercials (and other merchandising when it applies).
If the kits for the series aren't selling, you can bet you won't be getting more animation out of it. That's why a second season of Build Fighters was a no brainer (even if some people didn't like Try) while Reconguista won't be even given the time of the day no matter the individual merits and demerits of each series.

If you count the number of HG, MG, PG, MS and RG Unicorns that have been sold, I'm sure Bandai doesn't regret one cent they put into Sunrise animating the OVA.

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
I know it sounds cynic and I've said it in this thread already but a lot of things make more sense when you consider Gundam animation as glorified 25 minute long gunpla commercials (and other merchandising when it applies).
If the kits for the series aren't selling, you can bet you won't be getting more animation out of it. That's why a second season of Build Fighters was a no brainer (even if some people didn't like Try) while Reconguista won't be even given the time of the day no matter the individual merits and demerits of each series.

If you count the number of HG, MG, PG, MS and RG Unicorns that have been sold, I'm sure Bandai doesn't regret one cent they put into Sunrise animating the OVA.

There's a new G-Reco already in development and announced, lol.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Why would you drop its best character?!
I didn't say anything about Ledonir Kisaka, a person whose reality distortion field can turn the princess in distress that Cagalli always was into a somewhat decent Gundam pilot worth their salt.
There's a new G-Reco already in development and announced, lol.
Are you talking about last April's hint by Tomino or is there an official confirmation? At least Build Fighters has an actual official announcement for something this February.

Last edited:

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't say anything about Ledonir Kisaka, a person whose reality distortion field can turn the princess in distress that Cagalli always was into a somewhat decent Gundam pilot worth their salt.

Are you talking about last April's hint by Tomino or is there an official confirmation? At least Build Fighters has an actual official announcement for something this February.

Not an official trailer or anything, but Tomino talked about it, and Toho had it in their list of projects in production for their investors.

Deleted member 5745

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NXEDGE Phantom Gundam with all the Phantom Light effect parts:

26351273_786441411554611_7522619967515131904_n.jpg

And, finished yesterday, the HGFC God Gundam. Pardon my terrible painting on the chest:

27575869_167222007336495_7558056698997374976_n.jpg

Working on Justice now.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Yes, those hands are specific for that pose. I helped build the Nobel for an acquaintance's daughter that was a big Sailor Moon fan and showed some interest in my gunpla collection. So it's the only model that I (mostly) built but I don't own.

Strikerrr

Oct 25, 2017

This part of Thunderbolt Bandit Flower was pretty neat
It seems they like to show off a new gimmick for the added scenes in the compilation movies. For December Sky it was the feet claw things on the Full Armor Gundam that were prominent on the MG ver Ka model.

Also like December Sky, I think the ONA does some of the musical cues better. I really liked how the music synced up in the original battle between Atlas and the Z'Goks, but in Bandit Flower it goes silent once Io pursues the last one into the water.

Fou-Lu

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have the MG Full Armor Unicorn? I started assembling mine and I can't get the transformation gimmick to work for the chest. The pieces just don't move at all.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Grabbed the special Kamiki Burning Gundam High Grade from the Gundam Base in Tokyo last weekend. Another to the pile of unbuilt gunpla.

rP6BPvZ.jpg

Strawberry

Jan 28, 2018
First off, I'm going to apologise for the pure and utter ignorance you're about to read.

So, I've been getting back into the PS2 and when looking at games I saw Gundam. Now I'd of heard of Gundam before but I have zero knowledge. Before trying any of the games I thought I may watch what it's all about first. I just went on Wikipedia and I see a gigantic list of TV series and films. Where would one begin? Is the answer possibly the obvious one... at the beginning? Or watch the more modern content?

Deleted member 5745

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you handle animation from 1979? If so I'd say start with the first one and watch the rest of the series in production order.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
First off, I'm going to apologise for the pure and utter ignorance you're about to read.

So, I've been getting back into the PS2 and when looking at games I saw Gundam. Now I'd of heard of Gundam before but I have zero knowledge. Before trying any of the games I thought I may watch what it's all about first. I just went on Wikipedia and I see a gigantic list of TV series and films. Where would one begin? Is the answer possibly the obvious one... at the beginning? Or watch the more modern content?

The original series is great, but it's also a pretty ugly, art and animation-wise. If you can get past that, it's absolutely fantastic. If you can't, there's a number of other places you could start. SEED is a re-imagining of the original series that you could try out. SEED gets a lot of criticism, but most of its issues aren't that noticeable unless you're already into Gundam imo. It's not the greatest thing ever, but it's solid, and most importantly, it's very accessible and easy to get into. The first season of 00 is really good and a good starting point. The downside is that the second season is terrible. IBO is solid as well, but be aware that it's not exactly the most action heavy series. G Gundam is tons of fun, but it's absolutely nothing like any other Gundam show.

Strawberry

Jan 28, 2018
Can you handle animation from 1979? If so I'd say start with the first one and watch the rest of the series in production order.

The original series is great, but it's also a pretty ugly, art and animation-wise. If you can get past that, it's absolutely fantastic. If you can't, there's a number of other places you could start. SEED is a re-imagining of the original series that you could try out. SEED gets a lot of criticism, but most of its issues aren't that noticeable unless you're already into Gundam imo. It's not the greatest thing ever, but it's solid, and most importantly, it's very accessible and easy to get into. The first season of 00 is really good and a good starting point. The downside is that the second season is terrible. IBO is solid as well, but be aware that it's not exactly the most action heavy series. G Gundam is tons of fun, but it's absolutely nothing like any other Gundam show.

I don't mind old animation at all. I'll give it a try, thanks.

gsab1

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Can anyone lay out where to get and what are the different parts of Thunderbolt?
Thunderbolt is a manga that was made into a ova then two movies December Sky and Bandit Flower. Only December Sky is in English so far but I enjoyed it and glad I bought the bluray.

Edit
You can get December sky from Amazon or right stuff have no idea for regions outside the US.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I don't mind old animation at all. I'll give it a try, thanks.

I would also ask what kinda time commitment are you willing to make. The main entries for the franchise tend to be 50 episodes. Some are shorter around 25, others 12 or 13, some mini-series, OVA's and movies too.

I think I'd recommend Gundam Thunderbolt ( technically two seasons 8, 15 minute episodes each ) its got great visuals and soundtrack, The original Gundam series 50 episodes but shows where the franchise came from and how much its changed since, 00 Season 1 at least, imo 00 is one of the most watchable despite some of the nonsense "just go with it"-ness of the plot in season 2. Iron Blood Orphans is a pretty different take on Gundam but still well received as well as the newest in the franchise. 08th MS team is also a good starting point but is infinitely more grounded compared to the actual shenanigans that main gundam protagonists get up to.

These are my recommendations anyway.

Strikerrr

Oct 25, 2017
Thunderbolt is a manga that was made into a ova then two movies December Sky and Bandit Flower. Only December Sky is in English so far but I enjoyed it and glad I bought the bluray.

Edit
You can get December sky from Amazon or right stuff have no idea for regions outside the US.
The jp Bandit Flower BluRay contains both English subs and dubs

Strawberry

Jan 28, 2018
I would also ask what kinda time commitment are you willing to make. The main entries for the franchise tend to be 50 episodes. Some are shorter around 25, others 12 or 13, some mini-series, OVA's and movies too.

I think I'd recommend Gundam Thunderbolt ( technically two seasons 8, 15 minute episodes each ) its got great visuals and soundtrack, The original Gundam series 50 episodes but shows where the franchise came from and how much its changed since, 00 Season 1 at least, imo 00 is one of the most watchable despite some of the nonsense "just go with it"-ness of the plot in season 2. Iron Blood Orphans is a pretty different take on Gundam but still well received as well as the newest in the franchise. 08th MS team is also a good starting point but is infinitely more grounded compared to the actual shenanigans that main gundam protagonists get up to.

These are my recommendations anyway.

I'll see if I can watch all the episodes of the original 1979-1980 series. If I start to not get the time then I'll definitely try Gundam Thunderbolt. Thanks for listing the length of the episodes.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
The jp Bandit Flower BluRay contains both English subs and dubs
Yup, my copy has English subs.

I'll see if I can watch all the episodes of the original 1979-1980 series. If I start to not get the time then I'll definitely try Gundam Thunderbolt. Thanks for listing the length of the episodes.
No problem.

ALSO just a heads up, Gundam has two... "universe's" so to speak. U.C. (Universal Century) and A.U. (Alternate Universe.) U.C. stories are the same timeline as the original Gundam from 1979. The U.C. timeline stories tend to hop all over the place these days in terms of when they take place. For example, The first gundam show was made in 1979, but something newer like Thunderbolt, made in 2015? is technically happening concurrently with the plot of that original show, just in a different place with different characters. But the actions of other characters and what not are sometimes referenced (these tend to be few and far between, and never actually important to the current plot so don't worry).

A.U. stories are completely self contained to their universes. There is no extra information needed outside their contained shows or any to be found usually.

There will be some "reoccurring" tropes or mascot-ish characters like the Haro robots between all the franchise entries however.

Deleted member 5745

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't gotten as much done as I wanted due to work, but here's my WIP MG Justice.

20180130_114527.jpg

Just my opinion but I think it looks alot better than the RG.

OptiveLink

Oct 25, 2017
YES. THAT WAS EXCELLENT. THAT'S WHAT I WANT.
~Gundam AGE-2 AND Grimoire as lead suits in a short is pure yes~
Literally no other suit combo could possibly be better.

Oct 30, 2017
Age and G-Reco were both trainwrecks, but if there was anything either show did well, it was their mobile suit designs. AGE-2 was a really cool Gundam design and so was rhe Grimoire, so I'm happy to sre them again. I am disappointed to see the Double O yet again. Seravee is fine though. I like how that new Seravee's bits are the Ptolmaios.