• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How many console did you buy this gen?

Votes: 425 15.3%

Votes: 669 24.1%

Votes: 551 19.8%

Votes: 361 13.0%
  • 5+

Votes: 678 24.4%
  • 10+ (yes I know!!!!)

Votes: 94 3.4%

• Total voters

Xenoblade 3

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
3DS - $170
New 3DS XL - $200
Wii U - $350
Switch - $Free (Thanks Gamestop lol)
Vita - $140
PS4 - $150

Thats $1K in just consoles jesus.... I don't wanna think about the games

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Eventually got all three for the first time ever.

1. Xbox One ('Day One' edition) at launch — November 2013 (£429)
  2. PlayStation 4 Pro at launch — November 2016 (£349)
  3. (Yellow) Switch Lite at launch — September 2019 (£199)

I regret getting the Xbox One at launch though, as the limited white console bundle with Sunset Overdrive was £349 eleven months later...

VodkaFX

May 31, 2018
PS4 on launch
PS4 Pro on launch (sold off my base model)
Switch 1 year after launch

Very tempted to get that Animal Crossing themed Switch, but shall hold out for the inevitable pro model in the future.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
I just buy 1 console each generation. I barely have enough time to play games as is. The backlog is already big with just the one.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just count since 2014 which would be

PS4 base
PS4 Pro
PS Vita TV
Nintendo Wii U
Nintendo Switch
[Oculus Quest]
[Playstation VR 2x]

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PS4 Original 1x (for myself, later gifted to a friend)
PS4 Pro 2x (1 as a gift, one for me)
Switch 3x (1 as a gift, 1 at launch sold later for profit and now one permanent)
Xbox One Original 1x (played the games i wanted at launch, then sold because of no games)
Xbox ONe S 1x (played the 2 games i wanted to play and sold afterwards because of no games)
Xbox One X 1x (was hyped for the new hardware but no games and the horrible UI didn't make it last for more than a week, i send it back)

So right now i own one PS4 Pro and one Switch.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
PS4
PS4 Pro
PS Vita (If it counts)
XBOX One
XBOX One S
XBOX One X
Switch
Switch Lite
3DS (if it counts). Not sure how many I ended up buying. Maybe around seven. Ended up keeping two N3DS.
PC 2018 (Cost about $5k)
PC 2016 or 2016 (Cost about $2k)
PSVR and Oculus Rift S if we're counting those.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017

Launch PS4
Launch PS4 Pro (gave the base model to my brother-in-law)
Launch Switch
Xbox One S(AD) this Christmas

(I don't think WiiU and PS Vita count, do they? had both, sold em)

CandySTX

Mar 17, 2018
Scotland
Uh.
I'm not good at sticking with any individual console for long. Kept trading and swapping them.

Xbox - Original / X / S / X
PlayStation - Original / Pro / Pro
Switch - Original / Original / Lite
Vita - Original / Original

May 27, 2018
- The OG Xbox One and PS4 at launch
- Then a Xbox One S
- Xbox One X
- Switch at launch (or the Wii U if we don't count the switch as "this gen")

so, 5 consoles

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Two, One and 1X. I have a Switch but it was a birthday present 🤷‍♀️

Edit: Does WiiU count? If so then make it three.

shodgson8

Shinra Employee
Aug 22, 2018
1X 3DS (Sold)
1X New3DS (On launch - sold)
1X Wii U (sold towards switch)
1X Switch (On launch)
1X Xbox One S (Sold towards Oculus Quest)
1X PS4
1X Oculus Quest (On launch)

Also did a complete PC Upgrade...this is a lot more than I expected.

Yasai

Dec 23, 2017
PS4, 3DS, Switch, PS4Pro, 2x SNES Mini, XboxOneADE, New 3DS

that's within the timespan of this gen I guess

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
PS4 (Launch) - Traded in to discount purchase of...
PS4 - Crystal White Edition w/Destiny launch - Donated to friends upon buying...
PS4 Pro (Launch) - Traded in to discount purchase of...
PS4 Pro (latest model from late 2018, quiet fans) - Currently own.
PSVR (Launch — regular bundle only, no included games) - Convinced the store I bought it from to return on warranty for...
PSVR (updated model with 4K+HDR passthrough) - Currently own.
Xbox One (Launch) - Traded in to discount purchase of...
Xbox One Forza 6 Ford GT Blue Edition - Traded in to discount purchase of...
Xbox One S Launch Edition (2TB storage) - Traded in to discount purchase of...
Xbox One X (launch) - Traded in to fund purchase of games under pretense of just slimming my AAA console gaming to PS4 Pro only.
Xbox One X Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order Bundle - Currently own.
Nintendo Switch (launch) - Traded in to discount purchase of...
Nintendo Switch Lite (Turqoise) - Traded in to discount purchase of...
Nintendo Switch Animal Crossing Edition - Awaiting release.

I have to cut this shit out. This is the most excessive spending I've ever done in any generation. It is also my favorite generation, too, so I definitely spent hard on enthusiasm, but this is just kinda gross as I list it out. Also worth noting, the first generation in my adult life where my job can afford spending like this, though as you might see, a lot of my spending is subsidized by trading in the old stuff. Worth noting also, I came into this generation with my launch PS4 and Xbox One units pretty much entirely covered by trading in my entire last-gen collection — the consoles and all of the games.

Barring defective units — and I will now consider excessive fan noise as defective in my mind because it annoyed the shit out of me on some of the above, which is the only reason I bought another PS4 Pro — I am only buying one of each console, but I will upgrade to spec-updated version of PlayStation if there's a mid-generation upgrade again. I actually kind of hope they DO NOT mid-gen upgrade this time around, but I guess I'll be there for the PlayStation if they do. The Series X is the only Xbox I'm gonna buy until a true generational leap comes along again... It's pretty much just gonna be my Game Pass + Western AAA release machine, PS5 will be my main (exclusives, Japanese AAA, all fighting games), and Nintendo just because I like what Nintendo does.

I will not buy slim models next gen unless they have some significant hardware functionality additions that would immediately impact my own play experience (no update to a slim model on a just-in-case feature). No updates to limited edition themed consoles.

In fact, with the limited knowledge out there on next-gen, my plan is to just buy a Series X at launch and exist in next-gen for a while on Game Pass only while I temporarily make Switch my primary platform, then grab the first themed PS5 that I really like — Gran Turismo 7, Spidey 2, God of War 2, or Horizon 2 are some ideas, but I imagine there will be even more than that to choose from as time goes on. Since PlayStation generally becomes my primary platform each generation, I kind of want my first and only PS5 to be a special edition of some kind — I tend to really like the designs that Sony approves. Days of Play systems have generally been pretty cool, too, and I do kind of hope Sony continues that trend in next-gen — an annual Days of Play console each year. If I wait, I might have the benefit of being able to access a bunch of great games for cheaper, too... I'm generally trying to keep spending down, even though I am riding a wave of high enthusiasm as next gen approaches.

EDIT: Oh, I had way too many 3DS consoles and a WiiU in there too, if those count. I also got 2 Vita's — launch model and then imported a white/neon green slim from Japan a bit late in the generation...

WiiU (Launch) - Sold it and all of the games along side my PS3, Xbox 360 and all of those games to buy into current gen PS4 and Xbox One at launch in 2013.
WiiU - Bought 2nd WiiU around time Xenoblade Chronicles X came out, pretty much only ever bought XCX, Sm4sh, the 2 Zelda HD remasters, and W101 for this one. Sold it off toward my Nintendo Switch at launch in 2017.
3DS (Launch, Turqoise) - Traded in to discount purchase of...
3DSXL (Launch, Blue) - Traded in to discount purchase of...
3DSXL (Gold Legend of Zelda edition that came out with Link Between Worlds) - Traded in to discount purchase of...
New 3DSXL (Launch, Gold Majora's Mask Edition) - Traded in to discount purchase of...
New 3DSXL (Neon green edition with Virtual Console Super Mario World) - Currently own.
PS Vita (Launch) - Traded in to discount purchase of...
PS Vita Slim (White/Neon green, imported from Japan) - Currently own

Last edited:

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
3DS, Vita, 3DSXL, WiiU, Switch.

Didn't get much use out of the WiiU but loved the portables. Interested to see what the next version of the Switch looks like.

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
3DS
New 3DS XL
PSVITA
WIIU
PS4
PS4 PRO
PS VR
Switch
Soon a Switch Lite for my daughter

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
Launch PS4
Switch (improved battery model)

Plus a Vita and 3DS XL if we're including those.

Next gen I'm keeping the Switch and will wait a few months to see which way the wind's blowing on PS5/Series X to jump in on one of those, and that'll do me for the generation.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
PS4 and Switch for me. I never double dip on consoles
Same here! PS4 day one, and kept it ever since. I bought a Switch a year after release and love it for portable gaming when I work away from home.

My brother on the hand is definitely in the 10+ camp. Buys a console when he has money, sells it to a retailer a few months later when he's broke. Buys a console again as soon as he gets a pay check. Keeps swapping between PS4 and XBONE so he needs to keep rebuying third party games he already owns on a different system... He's ridiculously bad with money.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
3DS - Red bundle with Super Mario 3D Land (Black Friday '11)
Wii U (Launch)
3DSXL - Gold Zelda version w/ ALBW (Black Friday '13)
PS4 (Summer '14 around when MGSV Ground Zeroes came out)
XBO (Black Friday '14)
PS4 Pro (Launch)
Switch (Launch)
XBO X (Spring '18)

Last edited:

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
2 x PS4 - Launch PS4 - Upgraded to Last of us remastered model as this was supposedly a little better.....(I have issues)
2 x PS4 Pro-day one---Just upgraded to the Death stranding Ltd edition due to the horrific Jet engine.
2 x Xbox one - Launch - Halo 5 Ltd edition for my son.
2 x Xbox one X Scorpio edition - Me and my son.
3 x switch - Me, My son and daughter.
1 x insane gaming PC! (love)

Not going into Wii us etc as that will get crazy.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
So, I got:

Wii U @ launch (sold a year later)
PS4 @ Launch (sold when I got the Pro)
XBO OG @ Launch (sold a couple months later it sucked)
PS4 Pro @ Launch
Switch @ Launch
Xbox One X @ Launch
..and built a 2080 Ti Gaming PC last year which has now become my primary gaming platform

As for what's next? As you can see, I'm an early adopter. And I love shiny new things. But my Gaming PC is already insane. So XSX and PS5 don't seem as exciting as previous new gen consoles did. That said, I've no doubt I'll still end up squandering a ton of cash on both of them and a 3080 Ti before the end of the year lol

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Playstation Slim discounted (with Bloodborne, Persona 5 and Horizon Zero Dawn)
Switch at launch (new Zelda, new buy, probably for the rest of my life lol.)
Sweet ass gaming PC just a few weeks ago.

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
Off the top of my head in terms of current gen I bought:
2 New 3DS XLs (1st broke)
2 2DSs (Sold off the 1st)
1 Vita
1 PSTV
1 PS4
2 Switches (1st was DOA)
1 Raspberry Pi Zero W
I also have a Wii U & had an OG 3DS though those were gifts, and a i3 8100 and GT 1030 which I haven't actually put into a pc yet so I wouldn't count

For older stuff I bought:
1 PSP 1000
1 PSP Go
1 DSi
1 Gamecube
1 PS3

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All of them except for the PS4 Slim

PS4
OG Xbox One (x2)
Xbox One S
PS4 Pro
Xbox One X
Switch (x4)
Switch Lite
Wii U (x2)
3DS (x3)

also older stuff like PS Vita (x2)

Last edited:

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I bought 8 total.
- I got a PS4 and a PS4 Pro at launch.
- I had an Xbox One gifted time me from my in-laws, then I bought a One S when it launch for 4k Blu-ray's, and I bought a One X at launch.
- I bought a Switch at launch, then I bought a new higher battery model, and a Switch Lite.

If we are counting 3DS then....
-Launch black 3DS
-Purple OG 3DS
-Blue 3DS XL
-Animal Crossing 3DS XL (ended up with a dead pixel middle of screen)
-Black 3DS XL (To replace them botched AC one they couldnt repair due to It's special casing)
-Black New 3DS XL
-Animal Crossing HHD Regular New 3DS
-Galaxy themed New 3DS XL
-Hylian Shield New 2DS XL

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Xbox One - Don't regret getting it, but eventually got rid of it because I wasn't using it.
PS4 Pro - Bought one but have had two because the first one was an overheating lemon. Produced interesting polygonal shader art in Horizon.
1, 2, threeger warning: flashing images
Think they were both the exact same prize, 3890 SEK. Only the Xbox One was a bundle with whatever Forza and FIFA.

And a WiiU, but it's not of this generation so I guess it doesn't count.
I might've and perhaps should've bought a Switch instead, but the WiiU can play all the Wii games I missed, and I was of the mindset that it's stupid that the Switch still cost as much as it did at launch. Same reason why I didn't buy a WiiU back when that was a new console.

The Super Nintendo Classic and Playstation Classic probably also don't count.

So 2.

Last edited: