• Cuphead

Votes: 252 20.4%
  • Devil May Cry V

Votes: 89 7.2%

• Total voters

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sekiro has some really amazing animation work. Really most of From games do nowadays, their craft has been improving in that department. Most Japanese FG devs like Capcom, ASW, Namco have always been at the top as well.

Oct 25, 2017
It's easily Red Dead but my thought coming in was Monster Hunter World because of the turf wars and beast like behavior the monsters exhibit

Oct 25, 2017
Red Dead 2 and it isn't really close. And Euphoria on top the splendid mocap and animation. The animal life feels alive, until it's dying and then it's tragic. The street musicians, the woman practicing violin in the dark by herself, the cabaret, the pianist perfoming each and every tune. Every mission giver feels present, the npcs all regard each other and you and react to so goddang much.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Red Dead 2 and it isn't really close. And Euphoria on top the splendid mocap and animation.
Yea it's genuinely ridiculous just how good Red Dead looks considering it's scale. Like, just look at how the first guy stumbles.
3iG5mUk.gif

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Depends.

God of War has really good animation but so does Dragon Ball FighterZ in a completely different way

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Red Dead 2 and it isn't really close. And Euphoria on top the splendid mocap and animation. The animal life feels alive, until it's dying and then it's tragic. The street musicians, the woman practicing violin in the dark by herself, the cabaret, the pianist perfoming each and every tune. Every mission giver feels present, the npcs all regard each other and you and react to so goddang much.
Red Dead Redemption 2 got me watching a 20 minute talent show. Can't say many other games that managed to do anything like that.

Breath of the wild

But of the options in the poll, TLG by far
Could you please upload a gif or something of BOTW that showcases it's animation? I haven't seen much of the game but it looked just as clunky as the previous Zelda games.

Iscariot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's weird to me that Final Fantasy 15 isn't on that poll, it has insane animations.

For the gen... I think it'll be FF7R or TLOU2.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Its disappointing to see such a shoddy controlling game leading the polls. Great animation blends responsiveness with looking good. RDR2 just does not do it.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
I consider DMCV to be the king of action game animations right now. It's butter smooth and without sacrificing a frame of responsiveness. The sheer range of actions you can take as a player and have it all blend together perfectly is just insane.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
BQzv4PW.gif

W6k4sjU.gif

Lady is literally barely in this game and serves very little purpose and they still said "let's literally give her one of the most convincing hairstyles in gaming history." It's so surreal to see a character action game of all things, be not only one of the best looking games of the year but also one of the best looking games ever. That literally hasn't happened since DMC4.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
BQzv4PW.gif

W6k4sjU.gif

Lady is literally barely in this game and serves very little purpose and they still said "let's literally give her one of the most convincing hairstyles in gaming history." It's so surreal to see a character action game of all things, be not only one of the best looking games of the year but also one of the best looking games ever. That literally hasn't happened since DMC4.

Yeah, whoever was in charge of Lady certainly gave a shit. Look at how the hair bobs from her headshake.

tumblr_pnytwtFW1G1sr5u37o1_r1_500.gif

tumblr_poovd76IUg1r5pc6bo5_250.gif

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Games that basically plays by itself like RDR2 shouldn't be on the list.

593673291462606848.png

A lot of the animation work in RDR2 is dynamic and genuinely impressive on more than just surface level. Even the way you will stumble and slide down a steeper slope is situational and feels less canned than any other game ive ever seen. The question was "most impressive animation" , not "do you enjoy playing Red Dead?"

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
RDR2.

Of course, it's also proof that amazing animations doesn't mean it will play good. MGSV is peak TPS animation. The animations are great, but they don't sacrifice gameplay. The game isn't going to put some beautiful and intricate animation if you want to immediately stop, roll, and then pull out your weapon. It priorities responsiveness over "realness" and "smoothness." It just works.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I don't know why everything always has to be a superlative ("the best," "the most impressive," "of all time"), but I'd like to give a shout to the beautiful animation in Gris.

source.gif

giphy.gif

And in Floor Kids.
tumblr_inline_oopzfaVmsg1ujxpxn_540.gif
Happy someone mentioned Gris. They just don't make games like it which is a shame. But also nice in a way because it makes it that much more special.

dasu

Aug 2, 2018
If people are allowed to nominate TLOU2 then I want to nominate Luigi's Mansion 3.

The canned animations from the previous game were super impressive and cute.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Depends on what is called animation. For scripted and isolated segments RDR2 is impressive also because sustained by a gorgeous engine. But in action, Sipderman's combos and sequences among a dozen of ennemis, plus using the environment to strike or move is something really crazy on how natural and fluid it sticks to the player's input while looking extremely choreographed. Sekiro can has similar moments.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Red Dead is basically all about animation to the detriment of everything else, so I would hope it's at least excelling in that regard. I still think Cuphead is more impressive since its excellent animation enhances the overall design rather than diminishing it as Red Dead does.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
RDR2 has some incredible animations and class leading visuals, the problem is, it also has a fair share of bad ones. So often when you crash your horse, run into a building, slip off even a small rock or cliff edge or whatever, you're met with some pretty dumb sack of potato ragdoll physics, almost like at the moment of impact the character just collapses with a fake sense of weight and physics.

AchingPlaintiveIndianspinyloach-max-1mb.gif

HatefulParallelJenny-size_restricted.gif

SmallPreciousFreshwatereel-max-1mb.gif

Last edited:

wossname

Dec 12, 2017
Trico is a flipping giant catbirddog and is still the most believable and expressive character of the generation. An amazing mix of animation, AI and scripting

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
RDR2 has the most detailed and realistic animations, at the cost of long animation lengths.
Spiderman also has some pretty incredible animation work.

But the last of us part 2 is going to destroy every other game in terms of animations next year.