Status
Not open for further replies.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
The online reaction if Animal Crossing beats TLOU2 is going to be interesting.
giphy.gif

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think Genshin Impact will surprise a lot of people with its number of nominations and wins. The game is super impressive, and tons of people played it.

Does anyone think that the PS5 release of FF7 will be announced? I'm really, really hoping that the extra Tifa chapter that has been rumoured is true.

Last edited:
May 5, 2018
Will again say that I totally expect these games to not get nominated for anything, but I will be extremely happy and surprised to see Cook, Serve, Delicious 3!? and/or Them's Fightin' Herds to get any kind of nomination. It would also be really cool to see Murder By Numbers get a nomination too but I doubt it.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Everything apart from Animal Crossing ( game does not deserve a win IMO) I am rooting for. Great year. I hope Ori and Half Life Alyx make it.

N7_Kovalski

Oct 28, 2017
I know awards are not something we should get hung up on but if Ashley Johnson does not win for best performance, I will be mildly annoyed and then go about my day. In all seriousness, she deserves all the awards.

dgamemaster

Jun 29, 2020
Will again say that I totally expect these games to not get nominated for anything, but I will be extremely happy and surprised to see Cook, Serve, Delicious 3!? and/or Them's Fightin' Herds to get any kind of nomination. It would also be really cool to see Murder By Numbers get a nomination too but I doubt it.

YES

Maybe for either Fresh Indie Game of the Year (if they do that category) or something else.

In reality, I feel that they are too scared to nominate them cause they would sweep all the categories and you gotta give others a chance no?

May 17, 2018
I know awards are not something we should get hung up on but if Ashley Johnson does not win for best performance, I will be mildly annoyed and then go about my day. In all seriousness, she deserves all the awards.

I might be biased because TLOU2 is my GOTG, but, is there even any other serious contender this year? I can't think of any other performance that's been talked about like her's (well, maybe besides Laura and Troy).

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Hades
Animal Crossing: New Horizons
The Last of Us Part II
Doom Eternal
Ori and the Will of the Wisps

Half Life Alyx, Ghosts of Tsushima, and Final Fantasy VII Remake will all potentially get that last spot.

Aeroucn

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Since it's 6 nominees I think it'll be something like this

Doom Eternal
Animal Crossing
Demon's Souls
TLOU II
Hades
Half Life: Alyx

May 5, 2018
YES

Maybe for either Fresh Indie Game of the Year (if they do that category) or something else.

In reality, I feel that they are too scared to nominate them cause they would sweep all the categories and you gotta give others a chance no?
Are you referring to Murder By Numbers? If so I was gonna say the Subway Fresh Indie award would be a fitting category but I learned that this isn't Mediatonic's 1st game and just now I made the connection that the Murder By Numbers devs are also the Fall Guys Devs (which has a much better chance at getting some nominations).

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Hades
Animal Crossing: New Horizons
The Last of Us Part II
Doom Eternal
Ori and the Will of the Wisps

Half Life Alyx, Ghosts of Tsushima, and Final Fantasy VII Remake will all potentially get that last spot.
Doom Eternal isn't getting that spot before GoT,7R and Alyx. Game pretty much came and went and many people preferred Doom 2016.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
I'm hoping Ghost gets nominated. It didn't do anything new but what it did was great and Legends was undoubtedly one of the best dlc content ever put out for free

Alak96

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just want anything other than 3rd person adult narratives sweeping awards. I loved TLOU2, but things like Hades, AC, Half Life and Ori deserve to get more recognition.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020

i think it's a lock. there's no better perfomance in the entire generation, much less so this year alone.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Final Fantasy VII Remake about to clean sweep all this. Best game, best rpg, best combat, best door, best clouds, and best tears of nostalgia.

dgamemaster

Jun 29, 2020
Final GOTY predictions

Animal Crossing New Horizons
Half Life Alyx
Demon Souls Remake
The Last of Us Part II
FFVII Remake

Final Slot is between
Doom Eternal/Tsushima/Microsoft Flight Simulator/Ori 2/Dreams

I just pray we don't get anything stupid like Valhalla or WD Legion for GOTY

Are you referring to Murder By Numbers? If so I was gonna say the Subway Fresh Indie award would be a fitting category but I learned that this isn't Mediatonic's 1st game and just now I made the connection that the Murder By Numbers devs are also the Fall Guys Devs (which has a much better chance at getting some nominations).

I was referring to Cook Serve Delicious 3. (though now I realize it probably won't qualify due to not being their first game). Murder By Numbers is a decent choice, but I think the main focus for Mediatonic will be Fall Guys. Them Fightin' Herds could qualify for Fresh Indie Game (and given the low amount, I'd say it could be an easy lock for best fighting game nomination)

I'd scream really loudly of excitement if CSD 3 gets any nominations.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Wasteland 3 is gonna get shafted and that's a damn shame.

I think it'll probably be:

TLOU2
Hades
Ghosts of Tsushima
AC: Valhalla
Animal Crossing NH
DOOM Eternal

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
The online reaction if Animal Crossing beats TLOU2 is going to be interesting.

If all you care about is online reactions then why wouldn't you want Part II to win given that it became the main target of right-wing Youtubers because of its LGBT representation and because of Abby? They were hoping that Cyberpunk would come out and beat it, but now it's not included because of the delay. They'd actually be happy if AC won over it.

May 5, 2018
Final GOTY predictions

Animal Crossing New Horizons
Half Life Alyx
Demon Souls Remake
The Last of Us Part II
FFVII Remake

Final Slot is between
Doom Eternal/Tsushima/Microsoft Flight Simulator/Ori 2/Dreams

I just pray we don't get anything stupid like Valhalla or WD Legion for GOTY

I was referring to Cook Serve Delicious 3. (though now I realize it probably won't qualify due to not being their first game). Murder By Numbers is a decent choice, but I think the main focus for Mediatonic will be Fall Guys. Them Fightin' Herds could qualify for Fresh Indie Game (and given the low amount, I'd say it could be an easy lock for best fighting game nomination)

I'd scream really loudly of excitement if CSD 3 gets any nominations.
OOOOOOH YEAH BABY! I'd be very excited if CSD3 got any nominations (Best Strategy game maybe since its categorized as that on Opencritic). Seriously I'm with you. I'll be super happy if CSD3 got any nominations for The Game Awards. I don't expect it to, but its my GOTY and I'd be so happy for Chubigans and everyone else involved making that gem. I will also be thrilled seeing Them's Fightin Herds getting a fighting game nomination, but even with the low amount of fighting games this year I'm not sure if its a lock since its a small indie fighter that doesn't have the biggest player base in the world. Hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Animal Crossing truly deserves GotY. The amount of people who have used this game to escape the hell hole of 2020 have been to many to count. I personally know that a ton of people have actually used it to ease their anxiety, and to connect with loved ones. This alone, makes it GotY. Like, what better of a function for a game. This is a game that has brought so much joy to people, just unrequited joy. How is it not deserving?

Also, it's time for a lot more diverse genres to win GotY. And having a game being featured that actually appeals to a broader base as well. It would do well to actually legitimize a broader demographic. Like, casual titles never even get nominated. This could be a huge step to legitimizing more casual games and more casual gamers.

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping Ghost gets nominated. It didn't do anything new
Here are just a few examples of original ideas in Ghost of Tsushima:
  • The wind mechanic
  • The gating of side quest storylines so that their arcs progress in parallel alongside the main story
  • The way open world resources "lead" the player toward them, rather than just be a point on the map to go to - i.e. Fox statues "lead" the player toward them via foxes that the player follows, and how shrines "lead" the player toward them via Torii gates

May 17, 2018
If all you care about is online reactions then why wouldn't you want Part II to win given that it became the main target of right-wing Youtubers because of its LGBT representation and because of Abby? They were hoping that Cyberpunk would come out and beat it, but now it's not included because of the delay. They'd actually be happy if AC won over it.

Honestly, I wonder how much the public voting will impact the winner. Gumbogate is gonna come out hard against it there.

Animal Crossing truly deserves GotY. The amount of people who have used this game to escape the hell hole of 2020 have been to many to count. I personally know that a ton of people have actually used it to ease their anxiety, and to connect with loved ones. This alone, makes it GotY. Like, what better of a function for a game. This is a game that has brought so much joy to people, just unrequited joy. How is it not deserving?

Also, it's time for a lot more diverse genres to win GotY. And having a game being featured that actually appeals to a broader base as well. It would do well to actually legitimize a broader demographic. Like, casual titles never even get nominated. This could be a huge step to legitimizing more casual games and more casual gamers.

I think you have some valid points here, specifically WRT the impact it had on many people on such a shit year, but, don't most AC fans believe it's a big step back for the franchise?

May 5, 2018
Honestly, I wonder how much the public voting will impact the winner. Gumbogate is gonna come out hard against it there.
I believe in years past user votes contribute to 10% of deciding the winner while the other 90% is decided by a jury of people from different review outlets (IGN, Gamespot, Giant Bomb, etc). So the public doesn't have much power in deciding who wins.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
At what point did I say that?

Well, your whole post was that it'd be interesting to see the online reactions if AC won over it. Like I said, online reactions would be far more "interesting" if Part II won.

I'm not sure how much of an influence that'd have. According to the TGA website the public vote only factors into 10% of the overall process. The press vote is 90% of it.

N7_Kovalski

Oct 28, 2017

The Dems rigged the VGAs!

jpbonadio

Nov 8, 2017
I want TLoU2 to win not just because it's an amazing game, but because I want to see the meltdowns of the right-wing assholes.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I came to say something like this. Animal Crossing is probably the not the best or highest quality game to release this year (though it is still really good!), it's hard not to see Animal Crossing as the defining game of 2020.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
If TLOU2 loses to something like Animal Crossing, the internet will be insufferable with right wingers claiming go woke go broke.

Well at least Biden won. They need something to latch onto.

Status
Not open for further replies.