Status
Not open for further replies.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
fWOtxZC.jpg

Dec 10, 2020 at 6:30 PM

In a year that has completely changed our world and our way of life, the world turns more and more to technology in order to communicate, learn, and be entertained. 2020 maybe was not the best year for gaming, but it is easily one of the most pertinent, where with millions stuck at home and with an uncertain future, more people than ever before turned to gaming as an escape. As such, while the event will certainly look far different than how it has been in the past, games journalist, media impresario, and all around absolute mad lad Geoff Keighley will be bringing us the Game Awards, live from around the world, to showcase the best of the year in video games, in a year where video games were never more important.
CAfC1AD.jpg

JW14GDU.jpg
YouTube Link

Twitch Link
www.twitch.tv

thegameawards - Twitch

SUMMER GAME FEST - Live, Friday June 7 on Twitch

The awards will also feature a cavalcade of major presenters, including several huge names, such as acclaimed filmmaker Christopher Nolan (The Dark Knight, Tenet), blockbuster actors Tom Holland (Spider-Man), Brie Larson (Captain Marvel), Gal Gadot (Wonder Woman), and John David Washington (BlacKkKlansman, Tenet), voice acting icons Nolan North and Troy Baker, sports journalism icon and purveyor of hot takes Stephen A. Smith, and three of Geoff's greatest triumphs - A Way Out Director Josef Fares, owner of one of the greatest rants in Game Awards history (F*** the Oscars!), Former Nintendo President Reggie Fils-Aime, arguably Geoff's greatest nemesis, and the Muppet Swedish Chef, who hurdy bork a hurdy gurdy hur. And then, there are the musical performances: not only will the Game Awards orchestra be making a return, but you'll also see a Persona 5 musical performance by Lyn Inaizumi live from Japan, as well as from Eddie Vedder, the legendary frontman from the equally-legendary band Pearl Jam.

But of course, the main reason people will be tuning in (besides the awards, of course) will be the announcement of several major new games, with 12-15 brand-new announcements from smaller indie games up to major AAA releases. These will include first looks at Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War's Warzone Season 1, the next expansion in The Elder Scrolls Online, a new trailer for NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139, the first game from Striking Distance Studios, headed up by Glen Schofield (Dead Space, Call of Duty WWII), and a look at the new Dragon Age coming from EA and Bioware as well as the reveal of the series' new logo. And that's just what we know about, as there's certainly many surprises planned for the show.
jL1hw9N.jpg
Of course, the main event of the night will be the award for Game of the Year, given to the title that "delivers the absolute best experience across all creative and technical fields." Six games will battle it out for the coveted trophy.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo) (NSW)
0lVRWS6.jpg

While it's certainly not the most action-packed or most hardcore title up for this year's biggest award, Animal Crossing: New Horizons may very well be the most important. Releasing on March 10th, right as the COVID-19 pandemic hit its worst point and the world went into quarantine, New Horizons allowed players more customization than had ever been seen before in the franchise, being able to create their own island from scratch, bringing in an array of residents, shopping for the latest fashions, celebrating holidays - in short, living one's life. And in a year of uncertainty, this innocuous game might have been exactly what was needed. And gamers responded, with the game selling over 26 million copies, already becoming the Switch's second-biggest selling title in just six months and becoming a bonafide global phenomenon. What's more, in one of the worst years in recent memory, one need only look at the comradery shown by the game's online community - inviting players over to sell turnips, sharing DIY recipes, and collaborating to make each other's islands the best they can, to show that while the world can be scary, there's still some good left in it.

Doom Eternal (Id Software/Bethesda Softworks) (PS4/XBO/PC/Stadia/NSW)
smcOwbz.jpg

And from the game starring Isabelle, we go to her best friend, the Doom Slayer. Brought back from the dead for the first time in over a decade in 2016, Doom became one of the most well-regarded shooters of the console generation, winning several Game Awards in 2016. A sequel was all but assured, and in 2020, we got it, with Doom Eternal taking the already over-the-top violence and white-knuckle action of the original and cranking it up to 11. It wasn't all brutal violence and insane weaponry, however, as the game delved deep into the lore of the Doom Slayer, and put together a surprisingly well-told story. But of course, it was the combat that brought people to Doom Eternal, and at the Game Awards, it could reach the heights its predecessor could not by ripping and tearing all the way to Game of the Year.

Final Fantasy VII Remake (Square-Enix) (PS4)
spX9U6Y.png

A re-imagining of one of the most highly-regarded games of all-time as well as the title that made JRPGs one of the premiere genres of the 1990s, Final Fantasy VII Remake was many years in the making and even longer being speculated upon, but the wait ended this year, and for most, was absolutely worth it. While the game only covers what amounts to the first few hours of the PS1 classic, it expands on the tale of Cloud Strife and company with new characters and scenarios while also fleshing out characters who were no more than bit players in the original. However, many of the most iconic scenes and moments are still here, now in full HD glory, coupled with an incredible re-orchestrated soundtrack from the illustrious composer of the original, Nobuo Uematsu, alongside a new real-time battle system, doing away with the turn-based combat of old, but still allowing for heavy customization for both action aficionados and those who prefer to play more tactically. While it certainly wasn't the full remake fans were hoping for, FFVII Remake was one heck of a start, and it may very well be recognized for it at the Game Awards.

Ghost of Tsushima (Sucker Punch/Sony Interactive Entertainment) (PS4)
r3LQ4O4.jpg

While it certainly risked being overshadowed by the OTHER cinematic AAA action-adventure Sony released this year (we'll get to that) and the numerous other open-world stealth action games set in some semblance of feudal Japan, Ghost of Tsushima was able to stand on its own thanks to its attention to detail and realistic approach to the subject matter. Set on Tsushima Island during the Mongol invasion of 1274, players take on the role of Jin Sakai as he battles to reclaim his home while being torn between the code of his clan and the need to protect his people. Thus begins an intricate tale with absolutely gorgeous visuals and stunning locales, as well as a wide variety of missions and tons of options in combat, whether playing as the honorable Samurai or as the dishonorable Ninja-esque Ghost. What's more, developer Sucker Punch has kept the content steadily rolling in, including adding a new Legends multiplayer mode, for the low low price of free. Ghost of Tsushima has been compared to classic chanbara cinema, most notably the works of award-winning filmmaker Akira Kurosawa; like Kurosawa before them, could Ghost of Tsushima come away with a coveted award of its own?

Hades (Supergiant Games) (NSW/PC)
E2uWYse.jpg

The Game Awards usually have a representative from the wide array of independent games released over the last 12 months nominated for Game of the Year, though none yet have won the top prize. That may change this year, as Hades is the most lauded game yet to come from developer Supergiant Games - and given the developer's previous work on classics like Bastion, Transistor, and Pyre, that's saying something. Telling the story of Zagreus, son of the titular God of the underworld, as he tries to escape the, well, titular underworld, Hades is a masterclass of the roguelike genre, with branching paths and non-linear story sequences, weaving a tale featuring all of the participants in the Greek pantheon in moments ranging from laugh-out-loud hilarious to incredibly heartbreaking. Meanwhile, Hades also checks every box that Supergiant is known for, including excellent voice acting, tight controls, and an absolutely phenomenal soundtrack, but tacks on brutally glorious combat as well. In a game where death is seemingly the only fate, could Hades be fated to be the first indie title to bring home Game of the Year?

The Last of Us Part II (Naughty Dog/Sony Interactive Entertainment) (PS4)
5ga5fjh.jpg

Much as was the case with Death Stranding last year, The Game Awards nominations came and went pretty much as expected, with The Last of Us Part II nominated for more awards than any other (11), and stands as perhaps the odds-on favorite to take home Game of the Year. And for good reason, as the game continues developer Naughty Dog's penchant as being perhaps the best storytellers in the industry, crafting a tale of deceit, heartbreak, hatred, and death as players take on the role of Ellie as she returns to battle against the infected hordes and, perhaps more dangerously, other survivors, using only her wits, platforming skills, and ability to craft weapons and items and upgrade her abilities. However, the game was not without its fair share of controversy, from its presentation of a Transgender character, to allegations of crunch, to Naughty Dog themselves striking back at journalists criticizing the game. The Last of Us Part II is certainly the most divisive choice to win Game of the Year, but it is also very much the least surprising.

THE REST OF THE AWARDS
Best Game Direction

• Final Fantasy VII Remake – Square Enix
  • Ghosts of Tsushima – Sucker Punch
  • Hades – Supergiant Games
  • Half-Life Alyx – Valve
  • The Last of Us Part II – Naughty Dog
Most Anticipated Game
  • Elden Ring – From Software/Bandai Namco
  • Halo Infinite – 343/Xbox Game Studios
  • Horizon Forbidden West – Guerrilla Games/SIE
  • God of War Sequel – SIE Santa Monica/SIE
  • Resident Evil Village – Capcom
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Sequel – Nintendo
Best Narrative
  • 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake
  • Ghosts of Tsushima
  • Hades
  • The Last of Us Part II
Best Art Direction
  • Ghosts of Tsushima
  • Hades
  • Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  • The Last of Us Part II
Best Score and Music
  • Doom Eternal
  • Hades
  • The Last of Us Part II
Best Audio Design
  • Doom Eternal
  • Half-Life: Alyx
  • Ghosts of Tsushima
  • Resident Evil 3
  • The Last of Us Part II
Best Performance
  • Ashley Johnson – Ellie, The Last of Us Part II
  • Laura Bailey – Abby, The Last of Us Part II
  • Daisuke Tsuji – Jin, Ghost of Tsushima
  • Logan Cunningham – Hades, Hades
  • Nadji Jeterm – Miles Morales, Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales
Games for Impact
  • If Found…
  • Kentucky Route Zero: TV Edition
  • Spiritfarer
  • Tell Me Why
  • Through Darkest of Times
Best Ongoing Game
  • Apex Legends
  • Destiny 2
  • Call of Duty: Warzone
  • Fortnite
  • No Man's Sky
Best Indie Game
  • Carrion
  • Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout
  • Hades
  • Spelunky 2
  • Spiritfarer
Best Debut Indie Game
  • Carrion
  • Mortal Shell
  • Raji: An Acient Epic
  • Roki
  • Phasmophobia
Best Mobile Game
  • Among Us
  • Call of Duty Mobile
  • Genshin Impact
  • Legends of Runeterra
  • Pokémon Cafe Mix
Best Community Support
  • Apex Legends
  • Destiny 2
  • Fortnite
  • No Man's Sky
  • Valorant
Best VR/AR Game
  • Dreams
  • Marvel's Iron Man VR
  • Star Wars: Squadrons
  • The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners
Best Innovation in Accessibility
  • Assassin's Creed Valhalla
  • Grounded
  • Hyperdot
  • The Last of Us Part II
  • Watch Dogs Legion
Best Action Game
  • Doom Eternal
  • Hades
  • Nioh 2
  • Streets of Rage 4
Best Action/Adventure Game
  • Assassin's Creed Valhalla
  • Ghosts of Tsushima
  • Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  • Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
  • The Last of Us Part II
Best RPG
  • Genshin Impact
  • Persona 5 Royal
  • Wasteland 3
  • Yakuza: Like a Dragon
Best Fighting Game
  • Granblue Fantasy: Versus
  • Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate
  • Street Fighter V: Champion Edition
  • One Punch Man: A Hero Nobody Knows
  • Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late[cl-r]
Best Family Game
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  • Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time
  • Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit
  • Minecraft Dungeons
  • Paper Mario: The Origami King
Best Sim/Strategy Game
  • Crusader Kings 3
  • Desperados 3
  • Gear Tactics
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator
  • XCOM: Chimera Squad
Best Sports/Racing Game
  • Dirt 5
  • F1 2020
  • FIFA 21
  • NBA 2K21
  • Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2
Best Multiplayer Game
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  • Among Us
  • Call of Duty: Warzone
  • Valorant
Content Creator of the Year
  • Alanah Pearce
  • Jay Ann Lopez
  • Nickmercs
  • TimTheTatman
  • Valkyrae
Best Esports Athlete
  • Ian "Crimsix" Porter
  • Heo "Showmaker" Su
  • Kim "Canyon" Geon-Bu
  • Anthony "Shotzzy" Cuevas-Castro
  • Matthieu "Zywoo" Herbaut
Best Esports Coach
  • Danny "Zonic" Sorensen
  • Dae-Hee "Crusty" Park
  • Fabian "Grabbz" Lohmann
  • Lee "Zefa" Jae-Min
  • Raymond "Rambo" Lussier
Best Esports Event
  • Blast Premier: Spring 2020 European Finals
  • Call of Duty League Championship 2020
  • IEM Katowice 2020
  • League of Legends World Championship 2020
  • Overwatch League Grand Finals 2020
Best Esports Game
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
  • Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
  • Fortnite
  • League of Legends
  • Valorant
Best Esports Host
  • Alex "Goldenboy" Mendez
  • Alex "Machine" Richardson
  • Eefje "Sjokz" Depoortere
  • James "Dash" Patterson
  • Jorien "Sheever" Van der Heijden
Best Esports Team
  • Damwon Gaming
  • Dallas Empire
  • G2 Esports
  • San Francisco Shock
  • Team Secret

Last edited:

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
change title to "The Only Place You'll See The Muppets Live On Air"

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
In for World Premieres and to see Chris Nolan pretend to give a shit about video games.

Demon's Souls was robbed

OP
OP
Empyrean Cocytus

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Awful thread title. Embarrassing would be a generous description.
What's your threat title implying?

I was trying to make a joke based on Cyberpunk coming out the same day. I know there's a lot of controversy around the game but I did not intend any malice towards the game or the awards.

If you guys want me to have it changed, I will.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
OP, you gotta go into threads talking Game Awards stuff beforehand and ask for good OP titles

we've been robbed of Christopher Nolan dunking

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
Looking forward to the Dragon Age sneak peak. I also hope that the Elder Scrolls online next gen patch gets released soon, then I'll try it out.

Hope this is where Microsoft announces a new Forza. With Halo Infinite being Fall 2022, I hope Forza is in Spring/Summer.

King Dodongo

Oct 27, 2017
The Pope will bring it I'm sure.
Most anticipated game category is really full of heavy contestants.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was trying to make a joke based on Cyberpunk coming out the same day. I know there's a lot of controversy around the game but I did not intend any malice towards the game or the awards.

If you guys want me to have it changed, I will.
for what its worth,
taking a break from cyberpunk 2077 for 3 hours is the truth and its a nice title. the vast majority will be playing this.

Last edited:

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully a nice announcement or two happens, and I'm looking forward to whatever we see for Dragon Age. And yeah, I don't know about that OT title.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why but I'm expecting this year to have the least exciting "world premieres" yet. I hope I'm wrong tho.

Sabot

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 31, 2017
I am at the very least watching for whatever Nier thing gets shown.

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What would you suggest? I'm willing to message a moderator to change it.

If people keep coming in here to drop drive-by CP2077 hype posts you won't need to worry about it because the thread will be locked. But then it's hard to actually read the thread title as anything but encouraging that kind of behaviour, so who can be surprised?

OP
OP
Empyrean Cocytus

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
If people keep coming in here to drop drive-by CP2077 hype posts you won't need to worry about it because the thread will be locked. But then it's hard to actually read the thread title as anything but encouraging that kind of behaviour, so who can be surprised?

Yeah, you're right, I should have been more careful.

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
Aight Dorito Man, just gimme a solid show and I'll be content

I haven't played Hades as it doesn't seem to be my thing, but any of the GOTY candidates are solid (AC is the only debatable one for me due to its lack of QOL updates throughout the year that fans have literally made mock-ups of) and I'll be happy for any of them to win

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Eh, OP... I don't think it's a bad thread title. Arguably one of the biggest games of the year is releasing the same day as the game awards... there will be overlap, controversy or not. That said, probably not worth the ire of the community and good on you for being open to other suggestions.

The Game Awards OT: Praying Nolan Stays Away From the Audio Booth
The Game Awards |OT| Next Year on HBO Max
The Game Awards |OT| IN THE NAME OF HADES! KEIGHLEY, I ACCEPT THIS MESSAGE!

More on topic - really hoping to see Hades walk away with some awards. I've enjoyed a good deal of titles this year, but considering P5R isn't really represented, Hades is second in line for my personal GOTY.

Last edited:

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
The Game Awards 2020 |OT| The Last Fantasy Ghost Eternally Crossing Hades

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
The Game Awards 2020 |OT| wait, WHAT? a Half-Life game came out this year??!?

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
The Game Awards 2020 |OT| Not Enough People Talked Bout Bugsnax

OP
OP
Empyrean Cocytus

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Yeah, I like Fat4All's. I will get it changed. I appreciate those who have said they like the title, but Wracu made a very good point right now that Cyberpunk is a loaded subject and it's probably best to not conflate it with the awards.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
It also appears that the World Premiere's will lean more toward games that haven't been announced yet rather than new trailers for games we already know about

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
20% Trailers (ads)
30% Ads (ads)
20% Musical Performance
20% Filler
10% Awards

Status
Not open for further replies.