• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Has 2018 been a good year for games?

• Yes!

Votes: 1,156 66.4%
  • No.

Votes: 71 4.1%
  • it aite

Votes: 354 20.3%
  • who gives a crap just give me dmc5 already

Votes: 161 9.2%

• Total voters

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
I have a few complaints with Spiderman, but that's mostly because I personally believe the game to be overrated.
More than anything though, literally every esports category is terrible and shouldn't be there.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Same here but I think God of War made a bold move to change and take a huge risk and deserves to be rewarded for it.
I think every game on here is worthy of being 'game of the year'. I mean ultimately everybody weighs different aspects of games differently. Santa Monica definitely took a big risk with how much they changed up God of War. It's commendable, and I had an incredible time with it.

Red Dead Redemption 2 took me to so many places consciously and emotionall throughout the 60+ hours I put into it that I wasn't expecting. The breadth of its world blew me away. I don't really just look at the mechanics of a game or visuals, but the impressions they leave me after I finish them.

This is too hard lol.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Well, since everyone is at it, here's my list:

Game of the Year: God of War.

Best Ongoing Game: Fortnite (I don't play it but I surely appreciate everything they do with it).

Best Direction: Cory Barlog - God of War.

Best Narrative: Welp, it's God of War!

Best Art Direction: Haven't played it but Return of the Obra Dinn looks incredibly smart. (tie between God of War and Red Dead otherwise).

Best Soundtrack: Haven't played it... but I think Octopath is fantastic, otherwise I'd pick Ni No Kuni II. God of War would be the safest bet.

Best Audio: I'm going with Red Dead Redemption 2 here.

Best Performance: Christopher Judge (God of War), no doubt. Yuri did surpass my expectations tho.

Best Action Adventure Game: God of War.

Best Role Playing Game: Monster Hunter World.

Best Fighting Game: Dragon Ball FighterZ.

And that's everything I can vote.

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, Xenoblade 2's score is just bog-standard anime JRPG music, so if we're judging them by uniqueness they both lose.

giphy.gif

Define what "bog standard anime JRPG music" is please.

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at this list just reminds me of how tuned-out I was to new games this year haha

Glad for Celeste though, it's nice that an indie title made GOTY nomination

Borowski

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Jun 24, 2018
Celeste baby

I hope God of War is GOTY, tho

It deserves it, hands down

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Separating games by platform is dumb and having a "mobile" games category makes no sense.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Where is Warframe on Best Ongoing game?! I play and am a fan of Overwatch too but they coasted on 2018.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Anyone that thinks RDR2 is not taking this year is fooling themselves.

I wish it could be GOW, but yeah, it will be RDR2.

Depends how long the honeymoon period lasts, I know RDR2 definitely won't be as highly regarded from like a year from now, but I don't imagine much of the goodwill will evaporate by December.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
If Christopher Judge doesnt win best performance of the year as Kratos I am out
This years been so good I'd feel bad either way I think. So many incredible performances this year.
Judge, Clark and Yuri were all up there with the best ever for me. They all made their games much better thanks to their performances. Shame Otto's, Dutch's or BOY!!!'s VA weren't nominated too.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Please let GoW win. It plays far better than RDR2, and these are GAME awards.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
My list:

GAME OF THE YEAR

Marvel's Spider-Man (Insomniac Games / SIE)

BEST GAME DIRECTION

BEST NARRATIVE

BEST ART DIRECTION
Octopath Traveler (Square Enix / Acquire / Nintendo)

BEST SCORE/MUSIC
Octopath Traveler (Yasunori Nishiki)

BEST PERFORMANCE
Yuri Lowenthal as Peter Parker, Marvel's Spider-Man

GAMES FOR IMPACT
Celeste (Matt Makes Games)

BEST INDEPENDENT GAME
Celeste (Matt Makes Games)

BEST ACTION GAME
Mega Man 11 (Capcom)

BEST ACTION/ADVENTURE GAME

BEST ROLE PLAYING GAME
Monster Hunter: World (Capcom)

BEST FIGHTING
Soul Calibur VI (Bandai Namco Studios / BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment)

BEST MULTIPLAYER GAME
Monster Hunter: World (Capcom)

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
In other years, the music from ports of old games have been nominated (Rez Infinite), so I can't see why a remake like SotC couldn't
I'd argue that it's the sort of approach that should be left behind and maybe that's what they're doing now, kinda defeats the point of celebrating an entirely new score from 2018 if the greatest hits from the past can just rock up and take a spot by virtues of a re-release.

And I say this with my favourite game OST also being re-released this year.

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
Pretty the only category that has any games I even remotely care about is the fighting games category. I'm not even a particularly big fighting game fan but this year was pretty much competely uninteresting to me for anything othee than fighting games. Also Super Mario Party is under best family game and I enjoyed that I guess.

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Best Audio Design:
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 4
- Forza Horizon 4
- God of War
- Marvel's Spider-Man
- Red Dead Redemption 2

I've played God of War, Spiderman, and RDR2 and Shadow of the Tomb Raider without a doubt trumps SM and GOW when it comes to audio design.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
rocket league not under best e-sports is disappointing............they just had one of the most insane finals this year ever. Always entertaining

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
Dead Cells, Into the Breach, and Return of the Obra Dinn are all better and more deserving of that GOTY nom than Odyssey. And I like Odyssey. Hell, they might even be better than RDR2, and I LOVE RDR2.

It's a weird world we live in now.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
The site just won't load for me.
I'm so happy to see Celeste listed for so many things. I want to vote for it over and over!