• If you have been following the news, you should be aware that the people of Lebanon have been under a violent bombardment that has recently escalated. Please consider donating to help them if you can or trying to spread word of the fundraiser.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I live in a city that struggles with trash pick up. We were always told that the narrow streets and dense housing make garbage bins a non-starter, and we were told this by people who actually do care about the most efficient/practical/workable trash system.

We have a bag system, you go to the store and buy city trash bags, these big yellow bags, and all of your normal garbage bags (from the house) go in there. They're expensive, 5 bags for $10 is the going rate, but each bag holds ~2-3+ normal kitchen trash bags plus other shit... I usually get 2+ kitchen bags + 1 diaper bag into a single city trash bag. They're shitty bags, fall apart and shit, but whatever, it's what it is. And then curb side recycle and a compost pilot program.

Every town/suburb around me has bins, the big rolling ins you toss all your shit into, and the trucks come with arms and dump then in. But I'm always told by people who *know trash* that it's not workable for a city like mine.

Yourfawthaaa

Nov 2, 2017
Bronx, NY
Im from the bronx and last time i visited, i didnt see those type of garbage containers.

People on the block still stack up garbage bags on the street for the OG trucks to come get.

lampeater

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just waiting to read about how the company contracted to provide those bins are major Adams donors.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I was shocked when I went to NYC a few years ago and the bags of garbage on the sidewalk that were just piled sky high like it was the goddamn 1970s.

JSRF

"This guy are sick"
Aug 23, 2023
I live in a city that struggles with trash pick up. We were always told that the narrow streets and dense housing make garbage bins a non-starter, and we were told this by people who actually do care about the most efficient/practical/workable trash system.

We have a bag system, you go to the store and buy city trash bags, these big yellow bags, and all of your normal garbage bags (from the house) go in there. They're expensive, 5 bags for $10 is the going rate, but each bag holds ~2-3+ normal kitchen trash bags plus other shit... I usually get 2+ kitchen bags + 1 diaper bag into a single city trash bag. They're shitty bags, fall apart and shit, but whatever, it's what it is. And then curb side recycle and a compost pilot program.

Every town/suburb around me has bins, the big rolling ins you toss all your shit into, and the trucks come with arms and dump then in. But I'm always told by people who *know trash* that it's not workable for a city like mine.
This is actually kind of similar to how we do it in most of Korea. I didn't know anywhere in the US had a system like that. We have to buy expensive bags labeled for the local pickup to take out the trash that are effectively a trash tax. Usually I would buy them when buying groceries and just carry groceries home in them. They're also not allowed to have food waste on them. Those go in food waste bags or special buckets.

Guy.brush

Oct 27, 2017
I was shocked when I went to NYC a few years ago and the bags of garbage on the sidewalk that were just piled sky high like it was the goddamn 1970s.
I remember taking a photo in front of one such a giant trash bag pile in 1999 and thinking this looks like the 1970s!
In the street nearby some bloke sold JLopez On the Six stolen busstop posters. That must have been relatively close to the Intrepid museum West side.

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain

We have tiny alleys behind our houses just wider than a car (for garage access) and a big garbage truck comes through and picks up our landfill, recycling and compost bins.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Never visited New York?

ny-garbage-problem.jpg

GettyImages-1244116301.jpg

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I never really considered the logistics of trash collection when so many housing units are stacked on top of each other.

when I lived in Bmore, the parallel parked cars w/ no driveways prevented the grapple truck solution. But there's enough space for each unit to have a trash can or two on the curb.

Yahsper

Oct 29, 2017
I see a system that's going to hold up traffic for an upwards of 30 minutes.

That cannot function on public roads.
Lol, it does in most of Europe where space is also limited though. It really doesn't take as long, like not even 2 minutes per container, and the bin being so big, it doesn't need to pick up so often or stop so often when it'd time to pick-up. I get that it's not fit for NYC, I was being tongue in cheek about NYC announcing garbage pick up systems that's decades old as something fancy. But it's definitely workable, and is actively being used, in large parts of the world, in big cities with limited space.