• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

seiki

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Currently in development of the game heavily inspired by Shenmue, River City Ransom and Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari is an open world game about japanese delinquents focused on story and small things that don't do much but matters a lot in the end.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=861780193

Description from Steam community:
It's an existential open world beat'em up
where as a highschool gang leader Ringo Ishikawa you:

- go to school in the morning (or go fishing);
- take two classes (or smoke on the roof with your friends);
- attend Judo (or Drama) club after school;
- then gather your friends (or go alone) and beat some guys who did you nothing (or something) to the pulp (or get drunk at the bar instead).

And it goes like this for a month (or maybe two)

CxYOdZnVIAIa_nj.jpg

C01bcNGW8AElp6U.jpg

Cw1G0bMXgAAqyIJ.jpg

Ringo_gifs_2.gif

The game seems like River City Ransom + Yakuza + Shenmue in a retro SNES style type of game made in Unity. Still in development it should come out shortly.

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Oh wow this was up before Greenlight went down huh?

Looking forward to playing it, but has the dev mentioned anything about doing a Kickstarter to further help development?

johan

Oct 29, 2017
Not a big fan of the art, but I'm liking the direction of this. Will keep an eye on it

Ja-

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Theres no store page for the game and the last trailer is from last year. Is there any updates? And how do you know its "coming shortly"?

Soulstar

Oct 25, 2017
This game is looking real good. It would be cool if you could play as a female delinquent.

Deleted member 16609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Harlem, NYC
The game is out. I bought it a few minutes ago. The developer(who is rather cool)has great info on his Twitter account. https://twitter.com/shin_yeo Pretty amazing his father taught himself how to pixel art to help him out. On with the game.

-Very immersive and he wasn't kidding with the whole Shenmue thing. The beginning sets the town very well. And I was very surprised on the whole open world feel aspect of it. I ran into a Dark Souls One(When you first land on Firelink Shrine and go down instead of up) moment where I went the wrong way and the enemies were a little stronger than me. I didn't pay attention to the dialog exchanged, lol.

-The game has great pacing so far and amazing shots when introducing a new scene. Love the little touches of interaction with the world so far.

-Music(Which the developer mentioned to me)Is royalty free music. And it fits very well with the game.

-No Arcade Stick Support

-Controls are fine, but you have to use the keyboard to exit out of the game(Didn't check if I can remap it)

I'll put more time into it tonight but love what I enjoy so far. It captures the vibe and setting so well. Even the little Yakuza bits are great "I think I broke my pinky" His friend "you are going to cut it off eventually" lol.

Again, the developer is very friendly and awesome. Show him some love.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How's the writing? Judging by the Steam forums the dev is Russian(?) so I'm wondering how the translation is.

With Omensight, Machiavillain, Far Lone Sails, and Forgotton Anne all launching within the span of a few days, gotta axe one or two of them (already got Omensight) and trying to winnow down the list.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
The animations look fantastic! As a huge beat em up fan, I will --if nothing else--add it to my wishlist and keep track of it. I'm definitely intrigued by it especially because I'm interested in seeing how it tackles existential themes. I can't think of a 2D beat em up game that has a day/night cycle since games such as River City Ransom are set in a specific day. The fact that his dad is the artist who taught himself pixel art is fucking awesome. That tweet alone deserves a retweet.

Deleted member 16609

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Harlem, NYC
How's the writing? Judging by the Steam forums the dev is Russian(?) so I'm wondering how the translation is.

With Omensight, Machiavillain, Far Lone Sails, and Forgotton Anne all launching within the span of a few days, gotta axe one or two of them (already got Omensight) and trying to winnow down the list.
The writing is great so far. I haven't encountered any crazy engrish or so. Going to start playing in a few. So I will update throughout the night.

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
anything Persona-like is up my alley. I love me some slice-of-life stuff. Being like Shenmue but actually good looking is just icing on the cake

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
I'm curious to know if the so-called "Eurojank" is present in this game. Not that it's a deal breaker for me at all as I haven't played many European/Eastern Europe games to notice it.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man love that style. Super Yu Yu Hakusho almost

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
Hoping to hear some impressions. Mainly can I go fight whenever I want? I like all the side stuff but if I just wanna go wreck shit I want to be able to.

wombleac

Nov 8, 2017
You can really feel the power in that first right he throws in the GIF. All the fighting looks pretty sweet actually. I'll bite if this comes to console. Vita would be really cool.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I will buy this game. I always like open-world brawlers. The School life aspect sounds interesting. Like a mix between Persona and River City Ransom.

Looks very interesting. How was the recent RCR game that came out?

It's solid. There are some questionable design decisions on the AI front but it's definitely an enjoyable game. Although I should mention this game is more of an follow up on the Americanized RCR as opposed to being a Japanese localization of a Kunio-kun game. So as long you keep that mind. You can get a solid 10 to 15 hours out of it with many playable characters. Unlike the RCR games on the NES, GBA, and 3DS which you have a empty slate character that can go into shops and buy any move in the game that any other enemy uses, RCR:Underground has preset character designs in which you go to dojos to train and unlock more and more of their moveset as opposed to full out customization. It's fun game, albeit playing more like a 2D Fighter disguised as a brawler, but like I said, it's fun.

Deleted member 16609

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Harlem, NYC
Here are a few tips. If you encounter the playground. Jump at the bars to do workouts. You get 3HP from them(The pull-up bar and the dips)The gym gives you 25hp. The clock is very important, so keep track of that to handle school stuff. By studying at your desk you lose an hour for each subject you choose. To provoke a fight you have to be in the intimidation pose(R1/RB)Talk smack with X or Square and fight begins. If you run into a random brawl you won't get hit unless you get involved. If you see someone knocked out you can check if they have money on them. To level up your moves all you have to do is keep using them against opponents. The bag in your room doesn't raise your levels from what I know so far. So far so good.

Gangrel

Oct 25, 2017
Here are a few tips. If you encounter the playground. Jump at the bars to do workouts. You get 3HP from them(The pull-up bar and the dips)The gym gives you 25hp. The clock is very important, so keep track of that to handle school stuff. By studying at your desk you lose an hour for each subject you choose. To provoke a fight you have to be in the intimidation pose(R1/RB)Talk smack with X or Square and fight begins. If you run into a random brawl you won't get hit unless you get involved. If you see someone knocked out you can check if they have money on them. To level up your moves all you have to do is keep using them against opponents. The bag in your room doesn't raise your levels from what I know so far. So far so good.

The bag raised my punching but I can't seem to get out of fight mode on my own? Seems to just randomly increase my punching.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Definitely into this as a Kunio-kun fan. The father-son development dynamic is super cool too.

Deleted member 16609

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Harlem, NYC
Just letting you guys know that the dev added an auto-save feature when you go to your room. So if you don't have auto-updates on Steam, download the update. It went live yesterday.

EmptyWarren

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Bought it this afternoon, and I have to say that I am very impressed. The soundtrack really, REALLY speaks to me. Just oozes nostalgia and that feeling that things are going to change in your life, whether you want them to or not.

Don't know where you are Yeo, but you have probably made my GOTY. There is nothing else like this out there.

Be proud of what you've made.