Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
It was great actually. I liked the whole trilogy, warts and all. Yes, there were some issues, TLJ being the main culprit, but I'm not going to nit pick now. And besides, it's kinda grown on me a bit more, if I look past it's failings.
TFA had huge shoes to fill, and was tasked with setting up the whole trilogy, and in that it did a fine job.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
TFA was really fun and pretty much what I expected out of Star Wars at the time.

TLJ is ok, has some high highs, but unfortunately makes TFA worse.

TRoS is awful, and makes the whole trilogy worse.

Basically, regardless of the standalone quality of TLJ, it's the start for why the whole trilogy is bad. I think if they had a cohesive story, the ST would have been very well regarded with fans.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
On perspective, if they should have made a carbon copy of an older movie, it should have been The Phantom Menace (The structure obviously, I know the movie is flawed) at least it would have explained better how the first order and new rebel alliance formed.

Instead we got a redux of ANH that made no sense at all considering everything that happened before

Oct 25, 2017
That trailer is honestly top 5 of all time. Shame we never got a full version of the epic orchestral Force theme though.

As far as what we got? The first half of TFA is the strongest section of the ST.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
The Force Awakens trailer is still the best trailer in film history - I don't think I can even put into words how much hype and hope that gave me.

May 15, 2018
Denmark
Did ROS have a motherfucking babyfied Yoda?
Yes, almost. Isn't he cute? :-)

iaproject

Oct 31, 2017
ahh yes, I remember leaving the theater thinking:

Rey would succumb to the darkside
Finn would Jedi UP and fight Rey in ep.9

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
Finn had the potential to be the most interesting character with the coolest ethical dilemmas and characterization. I can't even remember this purpose now in the movies. Kylo - I still don't understand his motivations other than being a whiny brat. People complain about PT Anakin. But Kylo was way worse to me. At least Anakin's had a discernible arc. Kylo's motivations just seemed so hollow after TLJ.

I wish Lucas could have written an overall treatment in detail that was followed ( I know they used some elements ), and someone else could have written the dialogue. To me that would have been a great SW. (I loved the PT and never thought it was shit so my opinion is not the prevailing one).

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
Some fun facts about the trailers:
  • John Williams composed the music for the first teaser. I believe that's the first time he'd ever composed music specifically for a Star Wars trailer.
  • For the first couple of days after it came out, nobody knew who the voice was. People thought it was Benedict Cumberbatch.
  • Lucasfilm/Disney didn't really want to release a trailer that early, but the fan frenzy was so crazy that they felt they had to.
  • Mark Hamill re-recorded his line for the second teaser, but then they ended up using his take from Return of the Jedi. The re-recording was just used for reverb.
  • The full trailer debuted during halftime of a Monday Night Football game. A game that just so happened to have the longest first half I can ever remember watching. This still cracks me up to this day. A bunch of Star Wars fans who never watched football were driven to madness.

To this day I'm convinced Rey was going to be related to Luke in some way and that the main story was meant to be a family feud between the offspring of Leia/Han and whatever relation Rey was to Luke. I swear there was a leaked action figure with real dialogue where Kylo Ren referred to Rey as his cousin but no one ever seemed to mention it again.

That was the Disney Infinity playset for the movie. People thought Kylo said "cousin" but it was really him saying "curses."

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
I came into the trilogy with so much hope, only to be disappointed at every turn. I'd say TLJ was the strongest of the three, but I'd only give that a 7/10 if I'm feeling generous.

After TFA and TLJ, I walked out of the theater feeling nothing. After TRoS I left wanting little more to do with Star Wars. Fortunately, I gave The Mandalorian a try, and it's easily the best Star Wars has been since the OT (at least for canon material).

Basically, this is the film equivalent of the MGSV Red Band trailer.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
the movies set up a great game though. Battlefront 2. Spent hundreds of hours on that.

May 15, 2018
Denmark
Finn had the potential to be the most interesting character with the coolest ethical dilemmas and characterization. I can't even remember this purpose now in the movies. Kylo - I still don't understand his motivations other than being a whiny brat. People complain about PT Anakin. But Kylo was way worse to me. At least Anakin's had a discernible arc. Kylo's motivations just seemed so hollow after TLJ.
They did share their out-of-nowhere turn to good/evil.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
The teaser trailer having Snoke commentate over it, only for him to get wasted in the sequel & turn out to be a palpatine clone thingy/whatever, J.J & Ryan really needed some communication or Kennedy try to oversee the trilogy, i don't know what she was doing to let some of the things turn out the way they did in the sequels.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
I was not that hyped leading up to the movie. I remember seeing the "final" trailer around October and still being highly skeptical. It's not that the trailers weren't good and the characters didn't seem to be interesting but I was just nervous about what Disney would do. I ended up getting swept up in the hype soon after that trailer as the marketing was everywhere and one of my family members got tickets to opening night at IMAX.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The Force Awakens feels like a good film: good acting, solid directing, decent special effects, strong pacing with lots of actions scenes, etc. But it's ultimately an empty film, like a sugar rush that goes away. Look at ERA polls of favorite Star Wars films, TFA gets some of the fewest votes besides the first two prequels. It's just not a very memorable film because it's just a repeat of ANH instead of trying something new and fresh. It relies heavily on nostalgia/fan service such as seeing the Millennium Falcon, but when that feeling goes away, you are left without much. Essentially, it doomed the sequel trilogy by being a retread of the OT.

Rian Johnson had to take some drastic steps (Luke's arc, Snoke's death, etc.) to get the trilogy back on track, and he did an admirable job, but what did that matter when TROS simply undid his plot direction? That back and forth between JJ and Rian made one of the most incoherent trilogies ever. It was like the Halloween series when every new sequel just retcons all the past ones. And it all started with TFA and it's complete lack of originality, which was it's main problem no matter how good the film made you feel at first.

Last edited:

theLusitanian

Nov 3, 2017
Mandalorian is going to end up making more of a lasting impact in pop culture than these movies are...that's kind of crazy when you think about it.
I dunno, I grew up when there was no Prequel Trilogy and the LucasArts games are still the gold standard for me when it comes to Star Wars material, so it's not too shocking for me I guess.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Man, my disappointment when it became quickly apparent that, yes, it's just the empire 2.0 being somehow in power again. The movie was serviceable enough, but man, how could you take this creatively dead direction with it.

Waggles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was firmly in the same camp as OP. Finally, a quality star wars series without that hack at the helm!

my affection for the force awakens waned significantly over time. TLJ is the only one I still appreciate, for what RJ tried to do.

Tros has made me not care for whatever they try next. At all. Granted, I didn't like any of the spinoff junk either.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Say it with me everyone:

TFA and TLJ are good and fun movies.

Hell, even TROS has its moments and if you think it's the worst movie ever then you need to watch more movies.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Still my favorite trailer, I remember having 0 hope in the movie and then changing my mind. Ep 7 isn't perfect but it could have been soooo much worse, the thing I recognize to Abrams/Kasdan is the focus on characters and adventure . I loved the fact that the movie didn't care about explaining things, just like Star Wars did.

HypedBulborb

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Man, I was so hyped after the trailers, might be the most hyped I have ever been for anything really.

And I was so glad that TFA turned out amazing, I absolutely loved it, I remember just shaking in my seat because of the excitement and happiness I felt.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I can't articulate why, but there's something about Force Awakens and The Last Jedi that prevent them from being good standalone movies for me. The Rise of Skywalker really affected my enjoyment of the previous two movies in ways I haven't experienced before. As much as I enjoyed TFA, in retrospect it seemed like more of a just a decent starting point. Similarly with TLJ, a lot of its story beats feel like they're only setting up what comes next. All the stuff that wasn't followed through with is too evident when going back to those movies.

To contrast, I don't like the Matrix sequels too much, but I can still fully appreciate the first Matrix without feeling like it was squandered potential.
I really liked TLJ at the time, maybe loved it, but struggle to watch it now. I enjoyed the emotional scenes where Kylo Ren is like "have you always known?" "They were nobody" and the nice ending shot, where the hero doesn't have to chosen by bloodline. ROS shits on that so much, that it ruins the emotional scenes of the previous movie.

I find it harder to enjoy TFA as well, because there's a taste of the worst excessives in ROS, and the repetitive formula.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
I went completely unspoiled for all the Sequels so I never saw a single trailer till after the film. It was a nightmare trying to avoid TFA trailers.

In retrospect I wish I hadn't avoided every bit of information as I encountered my fist "Umm..." disappointment during the opening crawl lol

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
TFA was really fun and pretty much what I expected out of Star Wars at the time.

TLJ is ok, has some high highs, but unfortunately makes TFA worse.

TRoS is awful, and makes the whole trilogy worse.

Basically, regardless of the standalone quality of TLJ, it's the start for why the whole trilogy is bad. I think if they had a cohesive story, the ST would have been very well regarded with fans.
I think you're off the mark. What went wrong, is the premise, where the original heroes had such sad futures, that was already established in TFA, and they had a emperor clone/space voldemort, generic fucking villian as the new antagonist pulling the strings. I don't think you can make a great new trilogy with that premise. Maybe you can have some fun scenes like TFA did at the time, but that's about it.

Oct 28, 2017
I have never in my life been more hyped for a movie (Maybe Transformers 1986?) and The Force Awakens, the sequel to Return of the Jedi delivered me everything I wanted when watching a Star Wars movie. When I left the movies I felt like "man the next 2 years will be a hard wait"

I had no idea such treachery was yet to come.

ann3nova.

Oct 27, 2017
That first teaser still chokes me up.

I still really like The Force Awakens. Rise doesn't ruin it for me.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
TFA ended up being an empty-headed regurgitation of star wars tropes. It was, unfortunately, very on-brand.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
TFA set up the hype, TLJ made it grow and TRoS took a big shit on it.
Yeah I have to agree with this 100%.

When I first watched that TFA teaser (#2) from Star Wars Celebration, it was unreal. The amount of joy and anticipation from what I just saw is still hard to put in writing. I watched it so many times and the audiences reaction to it was exactly what my brain was doing. Only a few times in my life was I ever so happy. Nothing from the following 2 movies and their introductions brought me even halfway to that moment.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
I think you're off the mark. What went wrong, is the premise, where the original heroes had such sad futures, that was already established in TFA, and they had a emperor clone/space voldemort, generic fucking villian as the new antagonist pulling the strings. I don't think you can make a great new trilogy with that premise. Maybe you can have some fun scenes like TFA did at the time, but that's about it.

I don't necessarily disagree with that. I would have much preferred a new golden era for the Republic, and TFA starts after decades of peace and the Empire is on the fringes slowly amassing power. Basically the EU.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
I can't articulate why, but there's something about Force Awakens and The Last Jedi that prevent them from being good standalone movies for me. The Rise of Skywalker really affected my enjoyment of the previous two movies in ways I haven't experienced before. As much as I enjoyed TFA, in retrospect it seemed like more of a just a decent starting point. Similarly with TLJ, a lot of its story beats feel like they're only setting up what comes next. All the stuff that wasn't followed through with is too evident when going back to those movies.

To contrast, I don't like the Matrix sequels too much, but I can still fully apthatpreciate the first Matrix without feeling like it was squandered potential.
That's the big issue, TFA was supposed to be the only set up movie it set up plotlines that TLJ was supposed to continue.

I am pretty sure the majority can agree that's not what TLJ did, it ended plotlines way too many for a second movie should do, and undid character development and set up way too many plotlines that needed 2 extra movies. RJ may be a good director but he is an arrogant one who needs full control over a product you can see that in TLJ's writing. Who ever came in to the 3rd movie would have to have to condense to movies worth of plot development and resolution into one movie trevorrows and jj's films were dead before they even began because TLJ instead of being a part 2 or chapter 2 of a trilogy is a chapter 1.5 really a chapter 1.1

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
These sequels are fine. I really liked TFA. I thought TLJ was the weakest of the three, but enjoyed them all.

Oct 27, 2017
I really adore The Force Awakens. For me, the movie met the expectations laid out from the trailers. Same with TLJ (other than Canto Bight).
Rise however............

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
I've only seen all the new Star Wars movies once and I don't want to rewatch them again and tarnish my memory of them lol

The Force Awakens was hype and it delivers. I can remember all the excitement before, during, and after the movie.

TLJ is divisive, but overall it's still a good movie. Although some of the things happening there technology wise (space bomber, hyperspace jump suicide) doesn't sit with me and I wanted to see Luke kick some ass, but overall I'm still okay with the direction. *edit* also except Canto Bight, as the person above me pointed out lol.

Anyway my opinion is only TROS is stupid bad.

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
I loved The Force Awaken. It totally reignited my interest in Star Wars. TLJ suppressed my enthusiasm so much that I didn't even bother seeing TROS till it hit streaming services as a rental. Now The Mandalorian seems to be scratching that itch and once again I'm very excited about Star Wars lol.