• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018

hope this thread hasn't been made yet. It's supposed to come out on June 14 on Prime Video. This looks like everything i want from a NWR tv show.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
So fucking ready for this. Not huge on Miles Teller but love that John Hawkes is in this. Can't wait to see how it all turns out.

Dany

Oct 29, 2017
seattle
Hated only God forgives and has not seen his last movie.

He is a breathtaking filmmaker so I'll at least see an episode

OP
OP
LabRat

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
man visuals and music are already amazing, nwr is a freaking god. also it's him and ed fucking BRUBAKER writing. i'm telling you guys this is going to be the next big thing. i love game of thrones but this is probably going to be the show of the year.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Not really feeling the trailer aside from some of the visuals, but I loved Drive back when it came out so might as well check this out, I guess

Poody

Oct 27, 2017
I was waiting for Kavinsky to come on any moment. This series has my interest.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
I was literally thinking of this a few days ago wondering if it was shelved or something, Ready to watch

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
man visuals and music are already amazing, nwr is a freaking god. also it's him and ed fucking BRUBAKER writing. i'm telling you guys this is going to be the next big thing. i love game of thrones but this is probably going to be the show of the year.
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. He has a great idea for visuals, but most of his work has been pretty mediocre outside of looking really pretty

TheTyrant

Nov 27, 2018
Refn is such an interesting artist. For some reason I always either end up absolutely loving his work or really despising it, no inbetween. That's always really exciting so I am naturally IN

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Either Brubaker going to save it, or it'll end up being beautifully shoted shite like everything Refn made after Drive. Dialogue gives me Counselor vibes, so, I'm cautiously pessimistic.

OP
OP
LabRat

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. He has a great idea for visuals, but most of his work has been pretty mediocre outside of looking really pretty

well drive is one of my favourite movies and i think all three of his pusher movies are anything but mediocre. i agree he sometimes needs a little help writing but that's exactly what he gets with this series and from one of the best crime/noir comic writer in the business right now (ed brubaker)

i can only recommend his "criminal" comic series.

Last edited:

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017

Ed Brubaker has been doing career-best work in comics the past few years while this was also being done. I'm going to be shocked if the writing in this isn't at least solid.

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm down for a couple of episodes at least. Visually, looks stunning, and I'm a big fan of Drive. I also liked Only God Forgives a lot, but I know I'm in the minority there. Didn't see The Neon Demon though.

Had no idea Ed Brubaker was involved either. I've just started reading Kill Or Be Killed and I'm enjoying it a lot, and I can see him and Refn mixing together well.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks good. I approve.
I'm down for a couple of episodes at least. Visually, looks stunning, and I'm a big fan of Drive. I also liked Only God Forgives a lot, but I know I'm in the minority there. Didn't see The Neon Demon though.
I liked Neon Demon.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, certainly looks like a Refn creation. Sucks that I had to get rid of Prime, or else I'd be all over this.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
What?!

Okay, Refn's last couple movies were fucking awful, and lord is he so fucking full of himself, but I can atleast trust he has a good script.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
well drive is one of my favourite movies and i think all three of his pusher movies are anything but mediocre. i agree he sometimes needs a little help writing but that's exactly what he gets with this series and from one of the best crime/noir comic writer in the business right now (ed brubaker)

i can only recommend his "criminal" comic series.
Ed Brubaker has been doing career-best work in comics the past few years while this was also being done. I'm going to be shocked if the writing in this isn't at least solid.
Okay, I'll admit you both may be right. I'm not familiar with the writer, but I'll take your word for it. Drive is fantastic, but Refn's later films have been pretty mediocre/bad. If this writer is up to snuff you are right: this could be something special. I'll definitely be tuning in, but I was trying not to hype myself up too much after Refn's last few films

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I mean his movies are pretty yeah but for the most part they are fucking terrible.

Floex

Oct 27, 2017
I love Refn, not so much for his scripts but more that he's becoming a auteur. He always nails the look and music of his movies. I don't know this other writer but I'm glad he's working along side someone else on it.

Ok, starting the hype train.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Looks gorgeous but Refn has the tendency to be style over substance though so I'm cautious about this. Hope it's good.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
This looks so fucking good. Refn has been on fire since Only God Forgives and Brubaker is a natural fit for the style and no slouch of a writer. Easily one of the best living fiction writers today.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Will only bother depending on the reviews. I loved Drive but Only God Forgives is one of the worst, most tedious things I've ever watched and it put me off Refn so hard that I completely skipped over Neon Demon.

Oh, I totally forgot about this.

The first trailer came out all the way back in May of last year. What took it so long to release?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/trailer-for-refns-amazon-series-too-old-to-die-young.44002/
Just a lot of shit to edit probably. Each episode is apparently around 90 minutes.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
here is the premise

"Too Old to Die Young follows "a grieving police officer who, along with the man who shot his partner, finds himself in an underworld filled with working-class hit men, Yakuza soldiers, cartel assassins sent from Mexico, Russian mafia captains and gangs of teen killers."[1] "

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
Brubaker and Refn teaming together is a dream come true. This and Watchmen are gonna be smash hits this year.

Illithid Dude

Oct 26, 2017
Considering Drive was one of the best movies I've ever seen and The Neon Demon one of the worst... who knows. But hey, my uncle worked on this!