• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
The final selection of games for the American release are equal parts inspired and daft. So I guess it's got that authentic Sega feel.

I dunno if I'm going to bother buying it or not. Darius is a cool addition but tbh I'm greedy and was hoping for better exclusive / world premiere content.

It's pretty funny that Sega gets their canceled version of Tetris onto their classic console while the game was absent from both of Nintendo's.

Has the final Asian list been announced?

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
If you were expecting S3K, you were just setting yourself up for disappointment.

I never expected it, but it's just insane to me that a game that is generally considered a landmark title for the 16 bit era and one of the best platformers of all time is lost potentially forever because of a music rights dispute. It's very depressing and upsetting.

No Ristar is also a huge misfire.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
I'm more than happy with the full list. Sure, there's others I would've preferred but overall it's a damn good list.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Virtua Fighter 2, loooooool

The lists are pretty good. I'm probably gonna pick up both an NA and a JP one

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Yay for Road Rash 2 and uhh umm...Columns 1??? idk why they went with that one but w/e. I'll still prolly put more time into it (20 minutes) than most of the other games in this last batch. The Darius inclusion is neat but its a shmup which guarantees 0 interest & playtime from me. Its a shame that the NA/EU versions clearly didn't have as much thought/care put into 'em as the others got.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Have any of you actually played that game? I'm puzzled at why you keep bringing it up.

It's not as violent as MK, and iirc it was rated T the last time it went through the ESRB.

That's the one I was thinking of, but I just remembered it having more blood/violence than that. Definitely not thinking of the CD version.

Looks like the Wii re-release got a PEGI 18 and ESRB T rating, and the original release was MA-13 by the VRC because ESRB obvs. wasn't around then.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
While I'm still happy that I pre-ordered and am still getting this, I have to say that the last (12) games they revealed are a tremendous let down. Alisa Dragoon is exempt :)

Where is the original Streets of Rage or The Revenge of Shinobi?

Road Rash II?!? Really? Why??

And where in the world is Rocket Knight Adventures and Disney's Aladdin??

By the way, shame on Sega for the "Cowabunga" Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist tease.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Finally weighing up my options on this (still kinda pending the Rest of Asia announcement) but it looks like the Rest of Asia one is the best. It has Alien Soldier, MUSHA, Revenge of Shinobi over the western version (at this stage), where the only exclusives I'm mostly interested in (as in, don't hate) are Shinobi 3, TJ&E (which I can do without) and Vectorman (the only one I REALLY like).

Even if it's not hackable, if there's an option to at least flash different regional firmwares, that might make me reconsider importing it. Figure I can live with one that looks like the AU MD that I already have, it's still pretty good looking anyway :)

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. with the Asian version getting SFII I'm tempted to cancel my NA pre-order and just go with JP + Asia.

Edit: The Asian version gets the six button pad as well, and two of them? Damn, now it's even more tempting.

Apr 21, 2018
Asia one is up.

Same as Japan.

WAIT, it has Shining Force II. lmaoooo

ENGLISH SHINING FORCE II!!!
The Asian version is NUTS :

No Alex kidd
No Altered Beast
No Sonic Spinball

But Musha Aleste, Wonder Boy 5, 6, 6 buttons controller and Alien Soldier, Shining Force 2 as exclusive.

The only leathal weapon of the Japanese version is the goty Yuyu Hakusho.(western genesis is the clear loser of the contest, 3 buttons, Alex Kidd, Spin Ball)

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
The Asian version is NUTS :

No Alex kidd
No Altered Beast
No Sonic Spinball

But Musha Aleste, Wonder Boy 5, 6, 6 buttons controller and Alien Soldier, Shining Force 2 as exclusive.

The only leathal weapon of the Japanese version is the goty Yuyu Hakusho.(western genesis is the clear loser of the contest, 3 buttons, Alex Kidd, Spin Ball)

Yeah, I have a Japanese Genesis Mini on pre-order and am heavily debating cancelling my NA Genesis Mini pre-order and grabbing the Asian version instead. It just offers so much more for me.

Edit:

Although since I'm already grabbing the Japanese Mini, the only game that interests me that I'd be missing out on with the Asian version is Shining Force II. The NA version has a couple of other games that I'd love to run through again (EWJ, TJ&E, Ecco, etc.) so I'll probably just stick with NA + JP. At least it'll be a little cheaper on me. Shame the NA version only comes with the three button controllers, though.

Last edited:

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
I seriously can't believe Shining Force 2 lost to Shining Force 1 in the poll Sega used to determine which game got onto the JP Mini.
People would rather have a duck than a phoenix. It makes no sense.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
I haven't kept up with this at all (just as well looking at the final selection, oof) but is there any possibility of CD and 32X add-ons being released for this with their own selections of games...?

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Do we know if there'll be language options and different box art if we bought, say, the JP or Asian ones? I'd imagine it'd be a bit horrid if one bought the Rest of Asia one and couldn't look at English titles (or even boxart).

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
OMG they remember this one ?
Best game on the console. Ha... I really don't want to buy something I'd barely play with but I need to be able to replay it on a modern hardware.
I can't buy it for one game only : /...

Edit : Oh ok... the red games are what you would want instead.
I said nothing, gonna crawl back in my cave now.

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio
OMG they remember this one ?
Best game on the console. Ha... I really don't want to buy something I'd barely play with but I need to be able to replay it on a modern hardware.
I can't buy it for one game only : /...

Edit : Oh ok... the red games are what you would want instead.
I said nothing, gonna crawl back in my cave now.

Good thing there are a ton of other good games on it, too =P

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Alright, I updated my threadmarked list post with the final Asian games. Sorry I want online last night to see that we got those!

Pretty crazy that M2 has essentially ported 74 games (with perfect accuracy, I'm sure) for this project.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Definitely getting the US version for Nostalgia, Earthworm Jim, Shinobi III and Vectorman, but both the JP and Asia Mini both have really fuckin' great exclusives (YuYu and Alien Soldier, respectively)

Though thinking about it, getting both means I'll have enough controllers to do 4 player YuYu, so that's nice.

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Eh. The games people want wouldn't fit on a 16gb emmc.

Many Saturn exclusives are multidiscs afairs (Enemy Zero, the good version of D, Panzer Dragoon RPG, Deep Fear and so on).

I would love a Saturn mini but licensing would be an issue and no flasgship title to carry it outside of the ultra dedicated sega fanboys

I accounted for at least a couple of those in my calculations, actually... you could fit:

Baku Baku Animal
Blazing Heroes
Bug!
Burning Rangers
Clockwork Knight 2
Daytona USA Championship Circuit Edition
DecAthlete
Deep Fear
Dragon Force
Fighters Megamix
Golden Axe: The Duel
Guardian Heroes
Gungriffon
Iron Storm
The Legend of Oasis
Nights into Dreams…
Panzer Dragoon
Panzer Dragoon 2 Zwei
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Shining Force 3 Scenario 1
Shining the Holy Ark
Shining Wisdom
Sonic 3D Blast
Sonic R
Thunder Force 5
Virtua Fighter 2
Wing Arms

...into 14.9 gigabytes.

As far as licensing, the only issues I can see are that you might need the remnants of Working Designs' permission for Dragon Force, Iron Storm and Shining Wisdom, since they created the localizations for those; and you might need GameArts' permission for GunGriffon, since they developed that; and you'd need to pay a Daytona license, but you gotta have a Daytona game in a Saturn Mini. Everything else is 100% owned by Sega as far as I know.

Considering what Sega did with the Mega Drive Mini, it probably would exclude a few of the above (maybe Shining Wisdom, Wing Arms and Clockwork Knight 2) to put some of the more desirable third-party games in there (a Capcom 2D fighter like Darkstalkers 3 or Street Fighter Alpha 2, Saturn Bomberman, Radiant Silvergun, Tomb Raider). Either way, they should be able to put together an attractive package of games inside 16GB, and I think the allure of Panzer Dragoon Saga would catch a lot of people's attention.

Last edited:

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I accounted for at least a couple of those in my calculations, actually... you could fit:

Baku Baku Animal
Blazing Heroes
Bug!
Burning Rangers
Clockwork Knight 2
Daytona USA Championship Circuit Edition
DecAthlete
Deep Fear
Dragon Force
Fighters Megamix
Golden Axe: The Duel
Guardian Heroes
Gungriffon
Iron Storm
The Legend of Oasis
Nights into Dreams…
Panzer Dragoon
Panzer Dragoon 2 Zwei
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Shining Force 3 Scenario 1
Shining the Holy Ark
Shining Wisdom
Sonic 3D Blast
Sonic R
Thunder Force 5
Virtua Fighter 2
Wing Arms

...into 14.9 gigabytes.

As far as licensing, the only issues I can see are that you might need the remnants of Working Designs' permission for Dragon Force, Iron Storm and Shining Wisdom, since they created the localizations for those; and you might need GameArts' permission for GunGriffon, since they developed that. Everything else is 100% owned by Sega as far as I know.

Considering what Sega did with the Mega Drive Mini, it probably would exclude a few of the above (maybe Shining Wisdom, Wing Arms and Clockwork Knight 2) to put some of the more desirable third-party games in there (a Capcom 2D fighter like Darkstalkers 3 or Street Fighter Alpha 2, Saturn Bomberman, Radiant Silvergun, Tomb Raider). Either way, they should be able to put together an attractive package of games inside 16GB, and I think the allure of Panzer Dragoon Saga would catch a lot of people's attention.

Where are the STGs my man. Japanese version would have Sakura Wars 1 + 2 and Lunar.

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio
STG = shooting. 2D shooters

Thunder Force? I tried to stick to stuff Sega owns, and they really only own one 2D shooter on the Saturn, Thunder Force 5.

Knowing how they did the Mega Drive Mini, though, they'd probably try to get some third parties on there so I'd imagine Radiant Silvergun would be likely, even though it never released outside of Japan on the Saturn. Maybe Darius Gaiden, since that did release outside Japan. You can't fill the thing up with just one genre, though, haha.

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Agreed, but it is one of the defining genres for the console.

I agree. 2D shooters, 2D fighters, 3D fighters and racing games are basically the main genres for the Saturn. (As an aside, it's tough to find racing games that don't require licensing on the Saturn ... Sega probably would have to pay through the roof to republish Rally.)

Deleted member 34711

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
I'm like 95% sold on the Japanese version. Any word on the hardware specs? I'd love to replace my retropie with this.