• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 31, 2017
A fancam is basically a montage of a person, typically a kpop star. Used by kpop stans to measure popularity, I think? That's why they love to spam it on Twitter so the view count is high.

I feel like every thread I scroll through has like 10% of the comments as fancams

This is just an example since I can't find the one that triggered me earlier today. The fancams are in the thread, I know the tweet itself is of a photoshoot

Here's an example of a non-kpop fancam, just to be more clear about what a fancam is like for those who don't know

there's even fancams for, like, every character on Veep lol

does anyone else feel the same way? Lol

EDIT: for some reason my edits keep messing up on this website I apologize and it makes my posts even more confusing 😪

Last edited:

I_D

Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea what a fancam is.
These just look like your typical promo-shots.

It is funny that Tarantino is acting like the sexy one, though.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
It's the dumbest shit on Twitter.

Still beats being on Facebook.

Edit: Also, yeah, those are not fancams. Fancams are some creepy shit, though.

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
I have no idea what a fancam is.
These just look like your typical promo-shots.

It is funny that Tarantino is acting like the sexy one, though.
The thread not the actual tweet :p

a fancam is basically a montage of a person, typically a kpop star

sorry I didn't explain in my OP because I've seen fancam threads here before and it felt like everyone knew what that was

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
Do you mean those kpop videos where the camera only follows one particular member of the group? I find the popularity contest aspect of it creepy, where fans compare view numbers between members etc.

timshundo

CANCEL YOUR AMAZON PRIME
Oct 27, 2017
CA
We stopped caring about them once kpop stans proved their usefulness in the resistance. It's so easy to let them do their own thing. We have more pressing matters to fix on social media.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
This was a great thread. I learned nothing.
Random weirdos will basically spam videos of their favorite celebrities in unrelated Twitter threads - sometimes alongside actual comments on the subject matter at hand, sometimes without even that.

That allows those videos to rack up views, since Twitter has stuff on autoplay. I guess the weirdos then go meet in some dark corner and compare view numbers between their favorite celebrities or something, as if anyone actually watched that shit because they wanted to.

"Fancams" were originally videos recorded by fans during musical acts, focusing solely on a single member of a band during said act. This was mostly a kpop thing.

Then people started doing "edits," which are quick and shoddily-edited compilations of random clips from a single celebrity. I guess these are also being called "fancams" now because words have no meaning (and maybe also because you can't really record new fancams during the pandemic?).

Oct 28, 2017
Random weirdos will basically spam videos of their favorite celebrities in unrelated Twitter threads - sometimes alongside actual comment on the subject matter at hand, sometimes without even that.

That allows those videos to rack up views, since Twitter has stuff on autoplay. I guess the weirdos then go meet in some dark corner and compare view numbers between their favorite celebrities or something, as if anyone actually watched that shit because they wanted to.
This post explains it better:

www.resetera.com

The fancams on Twitter are out of control

This is an edit, from that thread (what the OP is complaining about): https://twitter.com/ARCTICRIBS/status/1350258101878927361?s=20 This is a fancam: https://twitter.com/cheonsanakiss/status/1350403051060826113?s=20

Ok that's enough internet for tonight

rockinreelin

Oct 27, 2017
I still don't get what a fancam is but I bet the OP uses bop and bangers unironically to describe pop music they really like. I'm old.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's at it's worst when you see some shit trending and click to see what's going on only to get nothing but unrelated fancams.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Random weirdos will basically spam videos of their favorite celebrities in unrelated Twitter threads - sometimes alongside actual comments on the subject matter at hand, sometimes without even that.

"Fancams" were originally videos recorded by fans during musical acts, focusing solely on a single member of a band during said act. This was mostly a kpop thing.

Then people started doing "edits," which are quick and shoddily-edited compilations of random clips from a single celebrity. I guess these are also being called "fancams" now because words have no meaning (and maybe also because you can't really record new fancams during the pandemic?).

Vouch

...Also, yeah, words are formless in the age of the internet.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The current state of twitter makes me honestly miss when it was just kpop fan cams. I actually found some good songs from those.

Nowadays it's just edits of whatever random celebrity using the same pop songs over and over. Nothing new to see. eh

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, fancams have gotta be one of the strangest internet fads. The idea of making fancams is fine, I can get that, but the usage of them is just so bizarre to me? Like, they'll be posted in reply to things that have absolutely zero relation to one another--or even the comment they're paired with, and always leaves me like ?????? It reminds me of bizarre clickbait ad videos but.... they're just fan edits being spammed for no reasons that I can tell beyond aesthetics???
Lol I've been coming to wonder if this is the point where I have to accept I'm now getting internet old.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
So why are those called 'fancams'? It makes no goddamn sense.
Literally a fan in the audience of a venue filming with their camera, then posting the video online – fancams.

The internet is calling edited collages fancams as well which is incorrect. I will take the liberty to call those edcolls.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
I think I got the idea from the one of Georgia. I also think my life's experience with the concept has now peaked, so I'm happy to move on and never see another.

Hello.

Jan 20, 2020
Not to be rude, but do people here just not google things they don't entirely understand? Is it upon the OP to completely inform you of stuff like this? Even so, why wouldn't you search around to get a better idea? Posting "what the fuck are you talking about" just makes you seem ridiculous because you didn't take 5 seconds to google what a fancam is.

Oh man, fancams have gotta be one of the strangest internet fads. The idea of making fancams is fine, I can get that, but the usage of them is just so bizarre to me? Like, they'll be posted in reply to things that have absolutely zero relation to one another--or even the comment they're paired with, and always leaves me like ?????? It reminds me of bizarre clickbait ad videos but.... they're just fan edits being spammed for no reasons that I can tell beyond aesthetics???
Lol I've been coming to wonder if this is the point where I have to accept I'm now getting internet old.
They are strange, but they did start somewhere. But if you see seemingly random fancams posted in popular twitter threads for no real reason, high chances are that it's a bot account. Yes, bot accounts for K-pop stans are real.