• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Yeah it's one of the reasons why I don't play FPS games on consoles anymore

There's tons of cheating devices on console like these look up XIM Apex and many more like it

Zombegoast

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
People really like having higher levels than other people.

Imho the best thing to do is try your best not to care too much about it online competitive play.

I realised consoles weren't an even playing field when people started getting these "pro" controllers with paddles on the back.

Like they're beating people using normal controllers with a different controller.

It's a cheat device that gets rid of recoils and strengthens aim assist with pseudo wall hack.

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
There's something I don't quite understand yet. Supposedly, at least PS4 had some sort of peripheral DRM. That's the excuse Logitech used back in the day to launch the G29; supposedly the G27 wouldn't work due to the lack of said DRM certification.

G27 not working on the PS4 was because Logitech wanted to sell you a G29. I don't think DRM is the correct way to think about it, it needed adapting to communicate over the correct protocol with the PS4 (which people have done). I doubt they could just prevent these devices from working without breaking other things.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
The fast firing of singlefire guns can be pretty annoying at times, but for the most part it doesn't increase the time to kill beyond what the games full auto guns offer. Like in Apex you can do that with a 301 or Flatline and very occasionally you'll see players do it with a strike pack, but I've not personally seen much impact.
The only way it works in most games (like Destiny) is to let you hold the trigger and let the semi-auto gun fire continuously, it doesn't increase the actual RoF or reduce TTK. CoD has some ADS/Reload fuckery going on with some guns that lets you fire faster that their actual RoF. You can do it without the device but the script obviously makes it easier and repeatable.

plain

Oct 27, 2017
I can deal with input based cheat devices.

I'd rather go against and die from those types of cheaters than actual hackers with aim bot and shit. That's ten times more annoying.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
The only way it works in most games (like Destiny) is to let you hold the trigger and let the semi-auto gun fire continuously, it doesn't increase the actual RoF or reduce TTK. CoD has some ADS/Reload fuckery going on with some guns that lets you fire faster that their actual RoF. You can do it without the device but the script obviously makes it easier and repeatable.

I think you can on Apex too, on guns like the flatline by using singlefire mode. It feels like it can go faster than the full auto.

Of course in theory someone can do it with their finger, but it's very difficult to do it consistently and while retaining good accuracy. I've actually been accused of using a strike pack a few times when shooting quickly, but it's no where near as reliable as what you can do with a strikepack.

With that said, I don't think even if you can break the rof limits it makes all that much difference. In Apex you still die if you don't one-mag someone, and as I said before, the 'aimbot' on Chronus is not like an aimbot on PC. It doesn't do the work for you, and actually adds latency, it's not ideal, and if you're a good player you'd be actively better off without it in my opinion.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
I get it can be hard to catch cheaters in the act. But leaderboards? So many games have cheaters permanently at the top, surely they can figure out they're cheating when the score/time is impossible especially if it's over multiple games.

You'd think some of the online paywall money would go towards preventing this.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
People really like having higher levels than other people.

Imho the best thing to do is try your best not to care too much about it online competitive play.

I realised consoles weren't an even playing field when people started getting these "pro" controllers with paddles on the back.

Like they're beating people using normal controllers with a different controller.

Not the same thing at all. Paddles on the back of your controller just allow you to do what people were already doing more comfortably, they don't provide a competitive advantage. Many top players still play claw.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Nobody believed it was cheat free. It's just way less common than PC because harder and riskier.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
does native kbm support help curb the appeal of these devices? obviously if you're cheating you'll still buy one, but maybe enough to not make it worthwhile to manufacture.

CoD Cold War does it right...if you wanna play kbm on xbox, plug it in and play

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Yep, NBA 2K games are basically full of these and these devices let you "green" every shot instantly.

I do kind of want this not for cheating but because I have a pretty good Xbox paddle controller I would love to use on PS5. Don't really play MP though.

Separately that company also resells an adapter that lets you use wheels for PS4 or Xbox on the other console. It's super useful.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Nobody believed it was cheat free. It's just way less common than PC because harder and riskier.
I've been keeping up to date with these devices their forums etc hardly any bans while using these

While on PC if someone uses hacks there's a high chance they are banned and reported

It's very safe to use these devices on console people even livestream with these no need to hide it, but if you use hacks on PC and especially shown publically it's a instant RIP

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
Is something stopping these things from being used on PC? Because it sounds like a console-only thing. Yet, the concept of running a script on a keyboard and mouse sounds like something that should have been done on PC years ago, but I've never heard of such a thing at least when it comes to PC cheating.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Is something stopping these things from being used on PC? Because it sounds like a console-only thing. Yet, the concept of running a script on a keyboard and mouse sounds like something that should have been done on PC years ago, but I've never heard of such a thing at least when it comes to PC cheating.
On PC you can just run software. On consoles you have to use hardware.

May 19, 2020
like i said anyone asking why doesn't so-and-so do anything about this, the test case is destiny 2. bungie is pretty heavyhanded with how they deal with cheaters
and yet it still ran rampant in trials due to things like the cronusmax. i believe the developers themselves would have to implement API to close off any console-level support for mouse and keyboard within the game thereby also cutting off the third party device.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Not the same thing at all. Paddles on the back of your controller just allow you to do what people were already doing more comfortably, they don't provide a competitive advantage. Many top players still play claw.

I'm just saying if you went over to your friends house to play a game of something and they bust out some fancy controller and they beat you.

It'd be fair to say they only won because they were using their controller 🤪

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully Cronus latest version will not work on a Series X and PS5.

I can see it being completely incompatible with the dual sense

Tolby

Sep 24, 2019
Eastern Europe
Can't understand cheating in a competitive environment. You're essentially lying to yourself and making others hate you. Victories feel hollow and meaningless.
And some actually spend money to do this on consoles? Awful.

Aug 30, 2020
the other thing is not to build your game around FOMO or limited time rewards because people will inevitably cheat to get those rewards. destiny trials cheating was, quite frankly, so gross and obvious that it's amazing they even brought the mode back in any capacity.

This I agree with. I hope at some point, MP games will completely abandon all ranking systems and progression systems (fat chance, I know). Back in the day we didn't need that bullshit to make us want to play Quake or Battlefield 1942. We played those because they were fun.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
So, word of advice. Don't feel bad when you're not on a top spot on your favorite shooter, or you get wrecked constantly at fighter games, other factors are at play. Also, don't idiolize streamers, ever. They're in for the dough. And you never know.
Some people are also just better at the game and it's not necessary to look for all these wild, almost conspiratorial justifications about why you're losing. I guarantee you this mod doesn't help as much as you, the people buying it, and the people creating vids about it (thus marketing it) thinks it does. But it's true it's okay to not be at the top spot, but your go-to shouldn't be "well they must be cheating" or "i would be #1 if not for the rampant cheating" because that's completely egotistical, a lie, and not healthy.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
Wow, that sucks. Thankfully it's not that disseminated on my region, Latin America.

I know Cronus is OP on COD, Fortnite and Appex.

But is it as effective on Battlefield? Because that's the only MP game I play...
More effective in BFV than BF1 since spread is not added to recoil in the latter, although it is less effective in Battlefield overall. I play both regularly as well and some people use it in small team competitive.

Sony allowing developers to lock down input devices to just the Dualsense would help as an option.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm just saying if you went over to your friends house to play a game of something and they bust out some fancy controller and they beat you.

It'd be fair to say they only won because they were using their controller 🤪

I think in a way this is like using a fight stick to play against someone on a gamepad, or playing a racing game with a steering wheel peripheral.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
So when you're cheating in apex on console won't it be super obvious to respawn if they have some sort of software to look for abnormalities like guns that are semi automatic turning into fully automatic?

or do they not really care all that much

Can't understand cheating in a competitive environment. You're essentially lying to yourself and making others hate you. Victories feel hollow and meaningless.
We're talking about people who neeeeed to win. People who feel no regret about cheating helping them. So they absolutely love it. Their victory doesn't feel fake because the scoreboard doesn't tell anyone that it is fake.

Last edited:

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
Streaming services (i.e Stadia) I think are really the only platforms that can provide a cheat free experience.

Salty Soup

Oct 25, 2017

Some people like being a heel. It's not about winning. It's about pissing people off.

Cam

Oct 27, 2017
Are there videos or anyone here that can explain how cheaters work in a game like GTA online? Is it a script in the controller or do they simply game the system and exploits? Examples would be like when they would amass insane amounts of money, etc

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
This is why I've stopped playing online shooters on PC. Not worth the aggravation of dealing with people who suck the fun out of the game.

I'd be even more pissed dealing with cheaters, while paying to play online.

Gvon

Oct 25, 2017
I have a Cronus Max and some of the options for it are crazy. I remember the first day it arrived and looking through the options and game profiles and it had cheats, hacks and all sorts for any game you could imagine.
The only reason I bought and used it was for connecting my G25 steering wheel to the PS4. For that purpose it got me another year or two out of the wheel before I finally upgraded.

OP
OP
Atolm

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
For PS5 it is the use of licensed input devices and not the Dualsense that is enabling these devices I believe.

As I said, if there's some sort of DRM attached to products that can and cannot be used on PlayStation systems, they've completely bypassed it. People use the thing with PS5 no problem.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
I've seen it being used more and more over the past couple years and there are no signs of it slowing down. There are some people who don't even care to try and hide it. I guess we're stuck with it until the console makers actually decide they want to give a shit about it. It's the same thing with XIM too. Console makers point the finger at developers and developers point it right back at the console makers. I'm just waiting for the day where someone decides they actually care.

Tecnniqe

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Antarctica
Are there videos or anyone here that can explain how cheaters work in a game like GTA online? Is it a script in the controller or do they simply game the system and exploits? Examples would be like when they would amass insane amounts of money, etc
How it used to be, at least for the 360 and PS3 era is that you jailbreak the console and from there can inject/change code to the game and system so it acts like any other cheat on PC would (very simplified) and from there you could get money drop, change gravity in CoD or give everyone max prestige by editing the XP amount of kills when your console was the host (which you could force with the jail broken console too) which means you just edit the game files. However when you connected to the online services (from 360 POV) the consoles hardware ID would get flagged and eventually banned after some X amount of hours and so what you had to do is change the hardware ID of the console (make the system think its a new Xbox with a new spoofed signature, kinda like HWID spoof on a PC) and use that to go online again.

So back to your question at hand, for GTA Online;

Step
1. Jailbreak console
2. Connect to online
3. Launch game
4. Inject cheat menu program (you can download these)
5. Follow prompts to make menu appear and select options
serendipity-4-5-gta-v-ps3-mod-menu-updated-by-joren-and-2much4u-jpg.1889

All this is very simplified understanding from me.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I have a Cronus Max and some of the options for it are crazy. I remember the first day it arrived and looking through the options and game profiles and it had cheats, hacks and all sorts for any game you could imagine.
The only reason I bought and used it was for connecting my G25 steering wheel to the PS4. For that purpose it got me another year or two out of the wheel before I finally upgraded.

I watched that video on YouTube showing no recoil and it made so much sense to me how I've had teammates who were invincible in apex

I'm starting to put together the fact that the best players might be using this. It's a huge advantage

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
As I said, if there's some sort of DRM attached to products that can and cannot be used on PlayStation systems, they've completely bypassed it. People use the thing with PS5 no problem.
So on PS5 it only works on licensed third party controllers?

That's not much but it is better than full compatibility with the dual sense
You have to use a third party controller to bypass it for PS5 games, but theoretically Sony could provide the option to lock down games for Dualsense only. This could already be a thing for developers but none of them have implemented it, or possibly they have not bothered to counter these devices. Detecting macros is not that difficult but we will see how this plays out in the current gen.

Cam

Oct 27, 2017
How it used to be, at least for the 360 and PS3 era is that you jailbreak the console and from there can inject/change code to the game and system so it acts like any other cheat on PC would (very simplified) and from there you could get money drop, change gravity in CoD or give everyone max prestige by editing the XP amount of kills when your console was the host (which you could force with the jail broken console too) which means you just edit the game files. However when you connected to the online services (from 360 POV) the consoles hardware ID would get flagged and eventually banned after some X amount of hours and so what you had to do is change the hardware ID of the console (make the system think its a new Xbox with a new spoofed signature, kinda like HWID spoof on a PC) and use that to go online again.

So back to your question at hand, for GTA Online;

Step
1. Jailbreak console
2. Connect to online
3. Launch game
4. Inject cheat menu program (you can download these)
5. Follow prompts to make menu appear and select options
serendipity-4-5-gta-v-ps3-mod-menu-updated-by-joren-and-2much4u-jpg.1889

All this is very simplified understanding from me.
Thanks for explaining this. Makes sense, as I saw the most rampant form of cheating on the PS3 but wasn't sure how they did it, as opposed to something like pc, where it's a free for all, or even something like in an FPS, as OP described, with the support of exploiting and using kb/m.