• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This article is... Downright awful.
I'm not even talking about the large amount of unsubstantiated stuff like the alleged profits, or the plain fanboyish stuff that oozes from it with one declaration after the other of "the best ever"... It's just also plain badly written...

Wth?

Kinda late, but good god, this. Your editor failed you OP, yeesh.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I had 3 editors on my piece and they were quick to point out any areas where they felt I was coming across as fanboyish. As I recall, there were two, and one was that I framed something like "the original xbox was the most powerful so it was the best," and I really had just meant to say it was a console that set the stage for the next generation in a way the PS2 hadn't (built-in hard drive, xbox live as a service, downloadable games, etc), so I reframed that to read better.

Yeah, I know about the PS4 feature. I actually have that dongle around here somewhere. I have some serious issues with it right now; the way it renders leads to massive stuttering that gave me headaches, so I had to stop using it. It forces you to use a dongle instead of bluetooth, so you can't pick what controllers you want. Comparing Steam/Sony/MS in-home streaming (also stuff like Moonlight, which I have set up on a retropie, and Parsec). If I could afford it, I would buy an Nvidia streaming device to check it out. The PS4 one just isn't very good, and you have to use a DS4 to use it, which really sucks.

I have another issue with the Vita in-home streaming that I've been trying to solve. I even found an old router and used it to increase my coverage, but I'm still struggling to get it to even play games like Persona 5 while streaming. I don't really know what else to do; I just cannot get Vita PS3 or PS4 streaming to work on my wireless setup. I've been told it's because the wi-fi chip in the vita is bad, so I looked into getting a new wireless chip or increasing the antenna for the Vita, but it seems impossible. I'll still do a long-lasting battery mod at some point, because Vita hacking is fun as FUCK.

Just to be clear, I don't like Microsoft's exclusive output right how EXCEPT for Forza, okay? Unless you're forgetting that I'm the guy who wrote about how fucking terrible the 343 Halo games are:

https://kotaku.com/the-problem-with-the-post-bungie-halo-campaigns-1744683465

Like, I started with "Halo used to mean quality." I go hard on Microsoft when they suck. But this piece was specifically "tell us how the xbox turned around." They did turn around, and they're doing a lot of shit that appeals to me. How wild is it that I can play EDF2017 on a modern console and it runs better than it did on the 360? I had framerate issues on The Darkness. Man, I love The Darkness. Now I can play it on the Xbox One X! That's fucking wild to me. I love that. I'm in love with the functionality of the Xbox, so I wanted to talk about how I love that.

You'd think I was the biggest Vita fanboy in the world if anyone would let me write about it, but nobody does because nobody reads about the Vita. :(

It feels frustrating to me that people are like "ah Doc ur such a big MS fanboy" but ignore when I write stuff like "lol Dead Rising 4 is stupid as hell" or "343's handling of halo's narrative is fundamentally broken." It's like no one realizes I just really really really like weird quirky 7/10 games (my Xbox One is a more f un console than my PS4 because I can play EDF 2017 and The Darkness on it!) and am fascinated by unique hardware. People are quick to forget I love Sony handhelds so much more than Nintendo's. I'm the guy whose favorite last-gen games include Infamous and God of War Ascension. I didn't like God of War 3, which is the popular one, I loved Ascension, which is weird. My favorite part of that game, I discovered later, is the elevator that everyone hates. Wild. I love my Kinect because it's INTERESTING HARDWARE. I also have an original Xbox camera. I wish I could afford PS4 lollipop controllers at some point. I like the weird shit. My favorite PS4 games this gen are fucking digimon games, until dawn, and knack. I like weird shit, that's all.

That isn't why people have an issue with some of your content and past posts, it's because you have a history of posting such slanted, misleading or downright factually incorrect things to push a pro Microsoft and anti-Sony agenda.

Eg you'll claim Sony has the worst first party meta averages of all the platforms when factually that is incorrect several years on the trot, and then ignore the posts that correct you on this.

You'll claim its predominantly Sony pushing out CGI trailers at conferences as one of the reasons you prefer Microsoft showings, and then when people highlight how Microsoft actually showed just as many if not more CGI trailers, you'll also ignore that post.

You'll state that you prefer Microsoft because they only show stuff that is coming out soon at conferences, and when someone responds with a bunch of games they'd shown years in advance, many that were cancelled, you'll ignore that too.

Then there's tweets like these.

20181212022409picsay.jpg

20181212022622picsay.jpg

20181212022501picsay.jpg

And these are all just a few examples. It isn't like people's skepticism of your journalistic or other content is completely misplaced or aimless.

Edit: And I didn't go digging through either, just Goggle searched DocSeuss Twitter Sony and these were some of the very first tweets that came up lol.

Last edited:

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This article is... Downright awful.
I'm not even talking about the large amount of unsubstantiated stuff like the alleged profits, or the plain fanboyish stuff that oozes from it with one declaration after the other of "the best ever"... It's just also plain badly written...

Wth?

Kinda late, but good god, this. Your editor failed you OP, yeesh.

DP, sorta.

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
That isn't why people have an issue with some of your content and past posts, it's because you have a history of posting such slanted, misleading or downright factually incorrect things to push a pro Microsoft and anti-Sony agenda.

Eg you'll claim Sony has the worst first party meta averages of all the platforms when factually that is incorrect several years on the trot, and then ignore the posts that correct you on this.

You'll claim its predominantly Sony pushing out CGI trailers at conferences as one of the reasons you prefer Microsoft showings, and then when people highlight how Microsoft actually showed just as many if not more CGI trailers, and you'll also ignore the post.

You'll state that you prefer Microsoft because they only show stuff that is coming out soon at conferences, and when someone responds with a bunch of games they'd shown years in advance, many that were cancelled, you'll ignore that too.

And these are all just a few examples. It isn't like people's skepticism of your journalistic or other content is completely misplaced or aimless.

The twitter links aren't showing up and the it says the account is suspended. What did they say?

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Sony has been making a lot of dumb decisions lately. They have the second worst console when services are concerned. Although Sony does have games, they're extremely lacking in diversity. The only thing MS needs right now are critically acclaimed exclusives and going by their current first party studios, Xbox could potentially have the most diverse and attractive first party in the coming years.

I've no doubt if Sony doesn't change by next gen, their arrogance is going to screw them over, like it's done in the past.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Uh no. It isn't expected. If Xbox sells more in the US or UK that would be shocking. It could happen though, I agree

Why would it be shocking?

They've done it before. In Gen 7, Microsoft went fairly conservative and Sony fucked up giving Microsoft a window and they took it.

In Gen 8, Sony went fairly conservative and Microsoft fucked up giving Sony a window and they took it.

Now we're heading into a generation where odds are, neither is going to fuck up so hugely that they effectively hand the generation over to their competitor. So it's going to take a lot more than one or two things to sway people one way or another.

I think the key to next gen will be backwards compatibility. Right now, there are a lot of PS4 owners that invested a LOT of money in digital PS4 games. If Sony play it safe and smart and have the PS5 play PS4 games then they should logically keep their existing base. But if the PS5 doesn't play PS4 games? Then it's open slather. No one is being tied to that ecosystem by their digital investment anymore and suddenly a lot of those 360 -> PS4 switchers will probably look to switch back knowing their 360 digital library will be there waiting for them as well as anything they missed on Xbox One.

Nov 8, 2017
Europe can be turned around and Japan is moving further and further from traditional consoles. Hell they're a mere 2 mill behind Playstation in the UK despite the overall weaker run.

It totally can happen, and they're all set be top dog next gen. Sony just doesn't have answers to a lot of the things they're doing right.

Full BC, Game Pass, the best hardware, best online infrastructure, cross-play enabled, top tier multiplayer offerings and a whole host of genre's Playstation has no stake in yet like FPS/RPG/Open World Racing etc.

Plus think of the money hats they could get or how deep they'll dig for the marketing rights to the next Rockstar or Call of Duty titles.

Its a ballsy prediction that's for sure. Losing Europe would require a large screw up from Sony I feel. If both Sony and MS play well, it's possible to win USA and UK but not guaranteed. Gamepass and Xcloud are advantages that are ephemeral because there is nothing but institutional opposition stopping it from coming to Sony in the same way. If Sony starts falling behind in some markets then they can effectively match it with their own streaming offerings (which already exist!) and offer its own Gamepass library.

I'm confident Ms will do well, but it's hard to say what Sony will do.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it does , we are in digital era , user will be tie to their accounts mostly .

And if Sony don't offer full BC? Or if people look at Xbox and like that titles all the way back to the original Xbox are compatible? People can be swayed fairly easily, it just takes one major screw up to swing sides.

There's a very good chance that next gen isn't going to be a hard reset in terms of library. With the addition to digital be being a lot more prominent this time around they're going to have a harder time convincing the vast majority to switch anywhere

Hopefully Sony implements BC then, and I know all signs point to them doing this but if they don't, well that would be a big win for Xbox.

Okay I'm going to bite, Betty. To "easily" beat your direct competitor, in this case PlayStation, you'd have to somehow turn your brand into a global juggernaut, because that's what PlayStation is worldwide and then somehow do even better. That's going to be very, very difficult to achieve. The Xbox 360 at the peak of its popularity was still outsold in Europe and Asia by the more expensive, inferior in some ways, PR-baggaged PS3. With Sony learning from the mistakes of PS3, do you really see Xbox somehow becoming the market leader in those historically weak territories?

Then there's going to be the case of Sony having the PS4 momentum going into PS5, where the 100+ million users they accumulated will be able to take their software purchases with them to the next gen console. I don't think you can say "easily" lightly there tbh.

Very, very difficult, but not impossible.

I also think if Microsoft had carried over the progress they'd made with the 360 instead of messing up so badly they'd be far closer to a tie with Sony this gen.

All it takes is a couple of mistakes by Sony and a couple dozen right moves by Microsoft for things to change and I think they are in the best position to do just that.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay I'm going to bite, Betty. To "easily" beat your direct competitor, in this case PlayStation, you'd have to somehow turn your brand into a global juggernaut, because that's what PlayStation is worldwide and then somehow do even better. That's going to be very, very difficult to achieve. The Xbox 360 at the peak of its popularity was still outsold in Europe and Asia by the more expensive, inferior in some ways, PR-baggaged PS3. With Sony learning from the mistakes of PS3, do you really see Xbox somehow becoming the market leader in those historically weak territories?

Then there's going to be the case of Sony having the PS4 momentum going into PS5, where the 100+ million users they accumulated will be able to take their software purchases with them to the next gen console. I don't think you can say "easily" lightly there tbh.
Betty is probably talking about the US. People almost always are.

Europeans are always so quick to jump in with the "BUT ACHTUALLY" regarding 360 and PS3 sales, but living here in the states y'all might as well be from another planet. 360 smoked PS3 here, it was the de facto console for the entire generation. It could certainly shift back next gen, depending on how Sony and MS play their hands.

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017

You'll claim its predominantly Sony pushing out CGI trailers at conferences as one of the reasons you prefer Microsoft showings, and then when people highlight how Microsoft actually showed just as many if not more CGI trailers, and you'll also ignore the post.

That account's locked, so those tweets can't be seen here. It's weird as fuck that you'd go digging around super old tweets of mine.

So the first one accused Sony of being very cinematic story-focused, in the context of a thread that explored why some games review extremely well. The other two posts are from the same thread talking about the same thing: if you write a mediocre third-person action-adventure game, you're more likely to win a Game of the Year award than if you make an EXTREMELY well-designed technical game.

This is why city builders, racing games, and even games like Bayonetta don't win GOTY awards when they should. Platinum, especially, is VERY into making technical-as-fuck games that benefit from multiple playthroughs.

But most game reviewers are playing once, trying to finish the critical path, put in X time in multiplayer, and write a review on time. A simplistic story with great presentation is going to win GOTY awards more than a game that's extremely well designed and technical, because ultimately, reviewers are more likely to play a game once, and quickly, than they are to complete a game. Presentation matters more to reviewers than anything else. So a game like TLOU, with bad gameplay and repetitive game design is going to win awards that a game like Forza Horizon 4, possibly the best racing game of all time, could never compete for.

It's like how independent films almost never win oscars, but oscar bait does. This is a topic I talk about a lot. For instance, a thread of mine that blew up recently is one that argues that gameplay-specific bullet points don't sell games, the experience does. If you want to convince people to buy your game, you have to sell them on an INTERESTING FANTASY. A lot of games don't do that. It's why they sell poorly. I was talking with a friend about this; his game did extremely well, but a friend's didn't. His friend's game doesn't have a sexy hook. His game had a very sexy hook and an incredibly strong world.

People value the emotional experience of a game over features. Microsoft's big mistake as a publisher is that they push bullet points. Sony's great success is that they push experiences. People see God of War and they go "I want to go there and be Kratos." People see Spider-Man and go "I want to be Spider-Man." You see lots people arguing that Spidey's combat isn't super technical and good, or that God of War's loot system feels tacked on and awesome, but when the time comes for GOTY discussions, those games absolutely destroy games with SUPER brilliant game design.

Experience matters more than mechanics.

Developers need to understand this in order to succeed. Ubisoft are the masters at this; it's why their games outsell everyone's basically every year, despite lots of hate from the hardcore. Bethesda's also really fucking good at t his, which is why Fallout 4 sells a billion copies even though hardcore gamers prefer New Vegas.

People buy games to experience the fantasy.

If you want to try a gotcha, you need to try something smarter than that. Low-hanging "hey you said sony's games didn't have perfect game design" accusations are just silly. Cherry picking my tweets won't make Shawn Layden adopt you as his favorite son.

Sony is better at selling games than Microsoft is because Microsoft's focusing on making games that have unique bullet points instead of worlds worth visiting. Look at Sony's marketing over DECADES. It's all like "look at our worlds, share our experiences, blah blah blah." Microsoft's best marketing ever did the same thing.

Now.

Sony DOES predominantly push out CGI trailers at conferences. They still do it. Their games show up years an advance. Microsoft used to do that. Now they don't. I like that Microsoft now only tends to announce stuff close to release. They learned that lesson. That's not ignoring what has been done, that's acknowledging that they've changed how they operate.

You're being very disingenuous here.

Last edited:

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Honestly I'm gonna make the prediction right now:
Xbox will take back the US and UK (along with Australia/Canada too) in the next generation. In those territories, they arent THAT far behind Playstation. The gap is far smaller than the gap between 360 and PS3 last gen.

Though PlayStation will sell most consoles worldwide (continental europe and ROTW will still largely favour them), I expect the margin to be smaller, with maybe a 4:3 ratio instead of 2:1.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So a game like TLOU, with bad gameplay and repetitive game design is going to win awards that a game like Forza Horizon 4, possibly the best racing game of all time, could never compete for.
Nope, I will not allow this. Now you've gone too far.

I don't want to see anyone talking shit about TLOU. I forbid it.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Betty is probably talking about the US. People almost always are.

Europeans are always so quick to jump in with the "BUT ACHTUALLY" regarding 360 and PS3 sales, but living here in the states y'all might as well be from another planet. 360 smoked PS3 here, it was the de facto console for the entire generation. It could certainly shift back next gen, depending on how Sony and MS play their hands.

My bad, I keep forgetting America is the only country in the world.

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, I will not allow this. Now you've gone too far.

I don't want to see anyone talking shit about TLOU. I forbid it.

You gotta understand that I love games for really good mechanics and encounter design. It's why I'm a Ninja Gaiden guy and not a Devil May Cry guy. Naughty Dog has really bog standard "this is your obvious cover, this is an obvious combat encounter, this is the 80th ladder/box puzzle in the game..."

I'm not a fan of that style of design.

This is why I don't like Rockstar games either. Give me a game with a butter-smooth character controller and really good enemy mobs and I'll fall in love.

Nib, how fucking stupid is it that you're saying a claim I made a long time ago, which was true then, is not true at the time now, and therefore I must be lying?

What is actually wrong with you?

Last time I said "sony has the worst metascore average," I had the metascore averages in front of me, and they did. Sony is no longer behind. But they were when I said it.

You're doing some weird as fuck logic to make your arguments work.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You gotta understand that I love games for really good mechanics and encounter design. It's why I'm a Ninja Gaiden guy and not a Devil May Cry guy.
So go play TLOU on Survivor and get back to me.

Like, you're not wrong about Uncharted 4. But half the reason TLOU was so praised was because it had meaty ass gameplay. With all the Naughty Dog bells and whistles. Utter masterpiece.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Sorry DocSuess, I just cant agree with you there. Aside from Naughty Dog (Which I agree, make hugely overrated games), pretty much most Sony games have stellar gameplay.

Oct 25, 2017

You'll claim its predominantly Sony pushing out CGI trailers at conferences as one of the reasons you prefer Microsoft showings, and then when people highlight how Microsoft actually showed just as many if not more CGI trailers, you'll also ignore that post.

Edit: And I didn't go digging through either, just Goggle searched DocSeuss Twitter Sony and these were some of the very first tweets that came up lol.

Yo

Damn

(This expose would be even easier if Reset didn't have an off site drama rule tbh)

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Sony won't stop making exclusives and people won't forget their IP's (and third party/japanese support), and their studios are being expanded (Guerrilla is hiring 150 people, more than some studios MS bought).

Xbox will have a great gen but calm down people
Sony is also very likely to enable PS4 purchases to carry over to the next-gen and millions of satisfied gamers along with them. They won't have an underpowered and overpriced console for people to question. They're already in the strongest position as far as the market for VR devices is concerned, and will have a new one that builds upon their already strong first attempt. PlayStation's newest CEO is from a network/services background and 3 much requested service features have been integrated this year under his watch, and that's before the PS5 is even announced. I think those that believe Sony isn't continuing to invest in their network infrastructure for next-gen are in for a rude awakening. Sony ain't lying down taking a beating next-gen. They're investing in their strongest AND weakest areas, just like MS must. It's going to be a highly competitive gen.

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
So go play TLOU on Survivor and get back to me.

Like, you're not wrong about Uncharted 4. But half the reason TLOU was so praised was because it had meaty ass gameplay. With all the Naughty Dog bells and whistles. Utter masterpiece.

I'm gonna finish it eventually, but the encounter design and puzzle variety bored me to tears so I stopped playing.

If you loved it, you loved it. I would never tell you that you can't enjoy a game you enjoy. I love really terrible shit with irredeemable gameplay, like The Darkness. But yeah, sorry, I really think the pacing and level design let down TLOU and I could't get past that.

Sony is also very likely to enable PS4 purchases to carry over to the next-gen and millions of satisfied gamers along with them. They won't have an underpowered and overpriced console for people to question. They're already in the strongest position as far as the market for VR devices is concerned, and will have a new one that builds upon their already strong first attempt. PlayStation's newest CEO is from a network/services background and 3 much requested service features have been integrated this year under his watch, and that's before the PS5 is even announced. I think those that believe Sony isn't continuing to invest in their network infrastructure for next-gen are in for a rude awakening. Sony ain't lying down taking a beating next-gen. They're investing in their strongest AND weakest areas, just like MS must. It's going to be a highly competitive gen.

I want to believe you're right. I do. But I don't think Sony will do this. They have made a lot of money making people rebuy remastered games. I don't think Backward Compatibility is a technical hurdle, because if it was, we'd have all our PS1 classics on the PS4. I'd kill to play MGS on my PS4 instead of jeopardizing my PS3, you know? I don't want a YLOD. They've rereleased Jak twice now instead of going "well, if you own Jak digitally on PS3, we're giving it to you free on PS4." Tons of stuff like that. I'd love to get Persona 3 FES on my PS4, and the PS4 HAS a PS2 emulator, but Sony hasn't just said "hey, every PS2 game you owned on PS3 can be played on PS4 now, have fun." They consistently make us repurchase those games.

So like, I'm really, really doubtful that Sony wants to do BC. I think they'll only do it if they start losing badly, just like Microsoft did.

Now, I've been wrong before! Like, I said there was no way capcom was doing G-rank for MH, and it turns out they are. I have totally fucked up before. But I can't talk about shit I know for certain or I'd break NDAs. I can only speculate on stuff I DON'T know about, so I sometimes get it wrong, lol.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
You gotta understand that I love games for really good mechanics and encounter design. It's why I'm a Ninja Gaiden guy and not a Devil May Cry guy. Naughty Dog has really bog standard "this is your obvious cover, this is an obvious combat encounter, this is the 80th ladder/box puzzle in the game..."

I'm not a fan of that style of design.

This is why I don't like Rockstar games either. Give me a game with a butter-smooth character controller and really good enemy mobs and I'll fall in love.

It's ok you don't like it, but when you say "It's terrible and worse than this game I like" just sounds like salt because of the award, what makes you article super parcial.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
Doc Seuss over here saying Alan Wake has good gameplay then trashing Naughty Dog lmfao

Give Xbox credit where it's due, you ain't gotta lie tho.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta

451448148909621278.png

Feb 26, 2018
Thread backfired lol
I agree on the fact of MC getting on their feet again with BC and Gamepass. Sony and Nintendo should keep up
Everything else is some fanboy wet dreams tho

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Sony DOES predominantly push out CGI trailers at conferences. They still do it. Their games show up years an advance. Microsoft used to do that. Now they don't. I like that Microsoft now only tends to announce stuff close to release. They learned that lesson. That's not ignoring what has been done, that's acknowledging that they've changed how they operate.

Wonder how MS is any better than Sony announcing games early. I mean, their next biggest game is CD3 and that was revealed almost 5 years ago.

Also, Sony has the luxury of revealing early because they normally reach a point where they have a healthy flow of games that release while you wait for other titles that take longer to cook.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (3 Days) - Offsite Drama and Personal Attacks
Nib, how fucking stupid is it that you're saying a claim I made a long time ago, which was true then, is not true at the time now, and therefore I must be lying?

Except it wasn't true then either ;)

Moderator -Removed Off Topic Site

Last edited by a moderator:

OldBenKenobi

Oct 25, 2017
I mean.....
It's better than the absolute laughing stock it was when it launched.
It really lacks in interesting games and the UI is still so bad compared to the competition, but yea it's slowly gotten..... slightly better?

I went from the PS4 UI to the latest updated UI on my X and imo it's so much better then the PS4 Ui. Especially during games my PS4 would lag so much accessing friends lists or going into store menu.

My X with Netflix running in the background plus a game the Ui never slows down and always loads the store, Gamepass and other tabs really fast. I also love how so many features like LFG, friends lists, party chat etc are handled so much better on the Xbox UI.

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
It's ok you don't like it, but when you say "It's terrible and worse than this game I like" just sounds like salt because of the award, what makes you article super parcial.

Are you saying the only way I CAN'T sound salty is to say "naughty dog is the best and no one is better?" Why can't I have opinions lol

Doc Seuss over here saying Alan Wake has good gameplay then trashing Naughty Dog lmfao

Give Xbox credit where it's due, you ain't gotta lie tho.

Well, I wrote about why I think Alan Wake has good gameplay, so if you want to at least understand where I'm coming from, you could read my essay on it?

https://kotaku.com/the-level-that-proves-how-special-alan-wake-was-1739415224

I later wrote about why I think Quantum Break had bad gameplay in comparison:

http://thesto.mp/post/180667642097/lets-talk-remedy

I'm not lying, I just have very specific tastes. If you want to understand where I'm coming from, you can read this to understand me better?

Except it wasn't true then either ;)

https://www./threads/how-can-micros...content-with-it.1322563/page-4#post-226090913

Cool, I'm remembering something older than that. My bad.

Wonder how MS is any better than Sony announcing games early. I mean, their next biggest game is CD3 and that was revealed almost 5 years ago.

Also, Sony has the luxury of revealing early because they normally reach a point where they have a healthy flow of games that release while you wait for other titles that take longer to cook.

Microsoft stopped announcing games early.

They even said "we shouldn't have announced crackdown 3 so early."

Sony still does it.

This is off topic tho; nib's just trying to argue I'm a fanboy and bringing shitloads of "ur a fanboy" into the thread instead of actually staying on topic.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft being forward thinking with BC and services is good for the industry.

Really, the only thing they have left to improve upon is first party.

Next gen will be interesting.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Sony DOES predominantly push out CGI trailers at conferences. They still do it.

Care to show us those predominantly CGI trailers (I guess you suggest they are prerendered and not real time or gameplay?) of their exclusives that they are still pushing out at conferences? Let's say in the last two years? :)

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

God DAMN

DocSeuss...just back out of the thread man. There's no coming back from this.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
This is off topic tho; nib's just trying to argue I'm a fanboy and bringing shitloads of "ur a fanboy" into the thread instead of actually staying on topic.

Well he's not exactly wrong. There's nothing wrong with that as we all have our preferences in life, but the worst kind of fanboy is the fanboy that denies being one.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

It's funny to see so many dismiss Microsoft and their efforts over the last year or so "because of their history" (not you specifically) but then so easily assume the PS5 will play PS4 games despite...you know, Sony's history.

While the PS5 should logically play PS4 games, nothing Sony has done in the last decade suggests that will be the case

- Removed PS2 BC from the PS3
-Made us re-buy digital PS2 purchases from PS3 on PS4
- Release a SHIT TONNE of successful remasters and remakes which is the market telling them they'd rather re-buy old games
- Really ramp up the number PS4 games on PS Now
- Publicly shit on old games

I'm not sure why so many people are so confident it'll happen when recent history suggests it won't. I'm not saying it won't, I'm just saying I'm not overly confident it will.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a terrible article and finding out who the writer was makes sense on why it's so terrible.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Best is dependent on priorities. None of these platform holders have the market completely cornered in all things that matter.

Bought my first PlayStation in awhile this gen and no regrets. Last of Us, God of War, Bloodbourne and The Show were worth the cost of the Pro and are IPs that'll convince me to upgrade to the PS5 when it launches.

My most played exclusives this gen?:
  1. Halo 5 Multiplayer
  2. Backwards compatibility
  3. Game Pass
...and I'll take Mutant Year Zero 2 over Horizon Zero Dawn 2.

...and the Elite controller 2 over the most powerful console.

To each their own. The difference in priorities is why these platforms will push each other to continue to expand their value.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Are you saying the only way I CAN'T sound salty is to say "naughty dog is the best and no one is better?" Why can't I have opinions lol

Well, I wrote about why I think Alan Wake has good gameplay, so if you want to at least understand where I'm coming from, you could read my essay on it?

https://kotaku.com/the-level-that-proves-how-special-alan-wake-was-1739415224

I later wrote about why I think Quantum Break had bad gameplay in comparison:

http://thesto.mp/post/180667642097/lets-talk-remedy

I'm not lying, I just have very specific tastes. If you want to understand where I'm coming from, you can read this to understand me better?

Cool, I'm remembering something older than that. My bad.

Microsoft stopped announcing games early.

They even said "we shouldn't have announced crackdown 3 so early."

Sony still does it.

When do you think Fable, Halo 6 and Gears will release?

Either way, MS "still does it" since we haven't seen a steady behavior from them of revealing games that release a year or two later yet. Going with what we have on the table, MS does the same, they just don't currently have the content to get into a rhythm of releases that can help space each other out and make the wait less painful for games that take longer.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny to see so many dismiss Microsoft and their efforts over the last year or so "because of their history" (not you specifically) but then so easily assume the PS5 will play PS4 games despite...you know, Sony's history.

While the PS5 should logically play PS4 games, nothing Sony has done in the last decade suggests that will be the case

- Removed PS2 BC from the PS3
-Made us re-buy digital PS2 purchases from PS3 on PS4
- Release a SHIT TONNE of successful remasters and remakes which is the market telling them they'd rather re-buy old games
- Really ramp up the number PS4 games on PS Now
- Publicly shit on old games

I'm not sure why so many people are so confident it'll happen when recent history suggests it won't. I'm not saying it won't, I'm just saying I'm not overly confident it will.
sony has had a long history of backward compatibility since before the ps3. So I have faith they will have bc in ps5. There's more chance of it happening than it not happening.

That's your whole Article. You are the disingenuous one here.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think the point here is that both platforms pushed CGI trailers in those early years. It's misplaced to only berate one of them for it and imply or act as though the other didn't do pretty much the same damn thing. Nit picking semantics at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.