CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
I still say Begins was the best one out of the three. I wish the kept the aesthetic for the city the same too, by Dark Knight, Gotham looked like any generic city.

Oct 28, 2017
These complaints seem kinda weird in a movie called "Batman". I mean, it's basically a Saturday morning cartoon.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
  • Artistic License – Economics:
    • When Bane and his men attack the stock exchange, he fakes bogus trading in Bruce's name using the thumbprint Selina acquired from Bruce's safe. In reality, the NASDAQ and the NYSE have the ability to quickly cancel trades if necessary, and in fact trading should have been suspended entirely as soon as the attack was public knowledge. Bruce would have been easily able to get off the hook for those fraudulent trades, especially when he can show that the transactions were done during a robbery on the trading floor with multiple witnesses seeing Bane and the robbers using its computer system for something. This fact is acknowledged in the movie, with Fox mentioning that they would be able to prove fraud and get the money back soon enough, but in the short term Bruce is bankrupted, even though he shouldn't be liable at all under the circumstances (or could just refuse to honor them for entirely valid reasons).
    • The Gotham electric company is utterly ruthless, cutting power to Bruce's home only a day or two afterward the stock incident. Bruce would have to be months behind on his payments for them to actually do that. They can't just assume he won't pay right off the bat.
    • Bruce going bankrupt shouldn't have gotten him automatically thrown off the Wayne Enterprises board, especially since he has a pretty solid defense for the trades being bogus. He still presumably owns his stake in the company, and would need to sell it first.
    • Despite what the characters repeatedly claim, Bruce Wayne is only broke; he is not bankrupt, except in a functional sense. To be bankrupt, Bruce would have to go to the bank and formally declare himself to be so, in writing. Merely not having money in your bank account is not the same as being bankrupt in a legal sense, especially since Bruce owns many valuable items and properties (including his mansion) that he could either rent, sell or put up as collateral for a loan if he needed cash quickly. This is yet another reason that he shouldn't have been kicked off the Board- even if there was a law or policy that said that nobody could sit on the Board if they were bankrupt (and in real life this is often not the case, by the way), it still would never apply to someone who hadn't declared themselves to be such yet.
But that's way too much effort to think of all that when you just want your character to be destitute. That's why I could never write a story, I would be thinking and figuring out all the above and realise it's really difficult to make a rich person poor.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
That's not a silly reason to be bothered. It bothered me too. You're telling me that if I break into the New York Stock Exchange riding a motorcycle and force Jeff Bezos to invest the entirety of Amazon into sweaters for cats, the stock exchange is gonna be like "yep, fair game"
Over night, the little cat sweater shop, infused both by Amazons money and entrepreneurial spirit, would take over the entire fashion industry, transforming the world into a society where everyone - both man and cat - wear the same kind of sweaters. Under this new sartorial monopoly there would be no more other clothing available. In time all kind of commerce would stop, creating a world where everything revolves around cat sweaters, and nothing else. People would forget how to do the most basic things. Starvation and ruin would be the end of mankind, but at least we would all die warmly, clad in comfortable cat sweaters, as the last embers of our species slowly glow out into the night

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
That's not a silly reason. Someone with Wayne's fortune and holdings, as well as old money rep, would be well insured and taken care of by Wall Street in such a scenario. Dave Goyer is a terrible, terrible writer.

He's probably got these sort of symbols set up all over prominent places in Gotham. Random giant bat symbols he can trigger whenever.

He hadn't been Batman for 8 years. None of this movie makes a lick of sense.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
bane's army and the police force doing a medieval style infantry charge in the middle of gotham city was also stupid. didn't bane's guys have automatic weapons?

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
That's not a silly reason. Someone with Wayne's fortune and holdings, as well as old money rep, would be well insured and taken care of by Wall Street in such a scenario. Dave Goyer is a terrible, terrible writer.

I still remember how funny it was when I first listened to the director's commentary for Blade 2 and Guillermo is just openly taking shots at some of the dumb shit in Goyer's script. The man is an artist with profanity, though.

FanceeLadd

Jan 17, 2020
My least favorite moment of the series movie was when Daenerys Batman somehow rode her dragon an airplane across like half the world in what seemed like about five minutes to save Jon Snow Gotham. Suspension of disbelief will only get an audience so far.

Mat-triX

Oct 27, 2017
The worst part about Rises to me is how it establishes that Bale's Batman was only active for less than a year (the time frame between Begins and TDK were a few months), as he spent 8 years inactive as a hermit. Dude fought a bit of the League of Shadow, dealt with a few hockey pads, had one skirmish with the Joker, and took a fall for Dent; that's his Batman career basically.

Rises would have probably been completely different if Ledger was alive.

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, yes... I was wondering what would break first..your spirit or your body.
Not enough baneposting in this thread. Anyway this is another sucky part
mn5eFTo.gif

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Dark Knight Rises is by no means BvS or Justice League level bad... but man, compared to the previous two Nolan movies Rises feels incredibly half assed.
  • Bruce losing all of his money due to Bane's terrorist attack is, for some reason, not immediately reverted.
  • Bruce travels an unknown distance with no money and gets back into Gotham unnoticed.
  • Batman making a giant flaming bat symbol on top of a bridge while a live nuke is ticking down in Gotham
  • All of the cops going underground to find Bane
  • All of said cops reemerging with not even a little bit of stubble on them after being stuck down there quite a while
  • Bruce, a multimillionaire celebrity who died during (potentially) the biggest terrorist attack in world history in that timeline, just chilling in a random cafe and nobody noticing him.
I still think Ledger's death took the wind out of everyone's sails and they only did a third movie out of obligation. This movie feels like a first draft that nobody bothered to give a second glance at.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Nolan is very good at making movies which have this really exciting, grandiose operatic heft in the moment, so you only really reflect on all the logical issues on repeat viewings. I like the film despite its many issues; it's heart-over-mind filmmaking but thrilling all the same.

Nov 9, 2017
Alfred abandoning Bruce after promising to always help him and Talia Al Ghul dying like a 5 yr old kid playing dead bothered me the most.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
not the complaint I was expecting lol. Movie should've ended with Alfreds smile
People probably would have accused Nolan of just using the Inception ending idea as a gimmick

Agree, I think Alfred smiling then cut would be way better. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the original ending and test audiences complained it was too much like Inception so they added the Bruce reaction shot.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Dark Knight Rises is by no means BvS or Justice League level bad... but man, compared to the previous two Nolan movies Rises feels incredibly half assed.
  • Bruce losing all of his money due to Bane's terrorist attack is, for some reason, not immediately reverted.
  • Bruce travels an unknown distance with no money and gets back into Gotham unnoticed.
  • Batman making a giant flaming bat symbol on top of a bridge while a live nuke is ticking down in Gotham
  • All of the cops going underground to find Bane
  • All of said cops reemerging with not even a little bit of stubble on them after being stuck down there quite a while
  • Bruce, a multimillionaire celebrity who died during (potentially) the biggest terrorist attack in world history in that timeline, just chilling in a random cafe and nobody noticing him.
I still think Ledger's death took the wind out of everyone's sails and they only did a third movie out of obligation. This movie feels like a first draft that nobody bothered to give a second glance at.

You could actually list dozens more stupid plot points for this film. My favorite was in the beginning, the put a little of Dr. Pavel's blood into one of the terrorists who will crash with the plane so that investigators will think it was Dr. Pavel who died. Yeah, I'm sure that would work .

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
You could actually list dozens more stupid plot points for this film. My favorite was in the beginning, the put a little of Dr. Pavel's blood into one of the terrorists who will crash with the plane so that investigators will think it was Dr. Pavel who died. Yeah, I'm sure that would work .
I actually forgot about that.

That's on the same tier as "Sabertooth pouring blood on Wolverine's girlfriend and Wolverine just assuming she's dead" bad.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
what annoys me so much about the dark knight rises is that it's essentially the same movie as batman begins.

batman vs. the league of shadows. the league of shadows steals a device from wayne enterprises, and uses it as a superweapon to destroy gotham.

that is literally the exact same plot of both films. it would have been more sensible if the whole trilogy was about the league of shadows, but after the first film and the second film entirely about joker, it seemed as though nolan's series was going to each be standalone titles.

i also understand that the trilogy was supposed to come full circle, however, that doesn't mean make the third film and the antagonist a carbon copy of the first film's respectively. with bane saying shit like "i'm here to fulfill ra's al gul's destiny..." as if the last thing ra's wanted to do was destroy gotham. in bb he said we "sacked rome, loaded ships with plague rats, burned london to the ground..." like the league is the illuminati or something, implying the league's work would never be done, that they'd always be there to "restore" the balance

yet talia's last words were "my father's work is done..." suffice to say it was annoying as fuck to have bane not have his own motivation. it was bad enough to learn he was doing everything for ra's and was made worse when it was revealed he was doing everything for a girl

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
bane's army and the police force doing a medieval style infantry charge in the middle of gotham city was also stupid. didn't bane's guys have automatic weapons?

Everything to do with cops in the film was puke inducing. From the idea that nearly every last one of them would go down into the sewer to face Bane knowing that he likely had traps and tricks setup, to them all charging Braveheart style at people with automatic weapons. And the message surrounding cops is awful and like right wing fantasy: when the people are left on their own without cops, they will destroy each other and attack the rich, and only when the heroic cops emerge from sewer, then Gotham City can be saved.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
I actually forgot about that.

That's on the same tier as "Sabertooth pouring blood on Wolverine's girlfriend and Wolverine just assuming she's dead" bad.
Man, that was the moment when that movie officially became such dumb schlock that I actually kinda started to enjoy it. I just remember being utterly baffled in the theater like, did he not even bother to take her to a hospital or anything?

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
Everything to do with cops in the film was puke inducing. From the idea that nearly every last one of them would go down into the sewer to face Bane knowing that he likely had traps and tricks setup, to them all charging Braveheart style at people with automatic weapons. And the message surrounding cops is awful and like right wing fantasy: when the people are left on their own without cops, they will destroy each other and attack the rich, and only when the heroic cops emerge from sewer, then Gotham City can be saved.
I always thought it was the Blackgate convicts and Bane's mercenaries that were attacking the rich, not ordinary citizens

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Man, that was the moment when that movie officially became such dumb schlock that I actually kinda started to enjoy it. I just remember being utterly baffled in the theater like, did he not even bother to take her to a hospital or anything?
He doesn't even check to see that she's even wounded. Also, Wolverine, the guy with a super human sense of smell so sharp that he can detect Mystique by smell alone, somehow didn't notice that wasn't her blood.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I still have to scream about every single police officer somehow getting put in the sewer at the same time but not finding a single one of the manholes or other exits to escape from in months. Meanwhile no other military offices were apparently in the city, despite typical American metropolises outside the police having numerous available national guard and such who wouldn't have been called into that sewer.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
He hadn't been Batman for 8 years. None of this movie makes a lick of sense.

"Because he's the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight."

Batman immediately retires after that and spent eight years wallowing in his mansion.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
bridge-symbol.png

moviesfilmsandflix.com

Movie Math: Here’s How Long it Took Batman to Set Up The Flaming Bat Symbol on the Bridge in ‘The Dark Knight Rises’

My naive original goal for this piece was to only focus on how long it took Batman to create the bat fire on the bridge in The Dark Knight Rises. I thought it wouldn’t be difficult due to the…

The answer is approximately three hours. this is right after he flew back from India and somehow snuck onto the island and then someone carried all that flammable liquid with him onto the top of a bridge.

Or it's something that he already had in place for a time when he might need it or, like everything else, he has some fancy billionaire tech that makes it much, much easier, or OMG WHY THE FUCK WOULD ANYONE CARE

Deleted member 6173

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still bothered by the ending of The Dark Knight.

Batman fucking retired for 8 years after having a career for 1.5 years. That was some bullshit right there. It ruined the entire movie for me.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
The part that bothers me the most is when Tom Hardy is overacting during his speech in front of black gate prison. He does this silly head bob thing and it feels completely out of place with what he is saying. Anyway, how about that unnecessary character Talia?

Oct 30, 2017
I don't even remember that fucking plotline. I thought he escaped to France because he was rich. Didn't know Bane had bombed Wayne's stock. I just remember him trading in market-fresh strawberries.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
The part that bothers me the most is when Tom Hardy is overacting during his speech in front of black gate prison. He does this silly head bob thing and it feels completely out of place with what he is saying. Anyway, how about that unnecessary character Talia?
That annoyed the shit out of me too, I wanted to love Tom Hardy as Bane but with the character arc, the arguable whitewashing of the character himself, the worst was the overacting especially in the scene you mentioned.

And then Talia is revealed as the main antagonist, Bane is killed off and the movie continues like he was never there

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
The entire premise of Dark Knight Rises, much like many of Nolan's films, kind of falls apart under scrutiny.

Bane's whole reasoning was to enact Ra's plan to cleanse the city of Gotham through an uprising... but they already did that with Dent Law or w/e at the end of Dark Knight by locking up pretty much everyone they thought could be a criminal

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still bothered by the ending of The Dark Knight.

Batman fucking retired for 8 years after having a career for 1.5 years. That was some bullshit right there. It ruined the entire movie for me.
When I saw TDK I didn't think he retired. I thought he would continue being Batman but would be hunted by the police for a crime Gordon knew he didn't commit. TDKR made it so he retired (and apparently had no cartilage in his knee) after such a short time as Batman. It felt like it wanted to borrow imagery and the premise from The Dark Knight Returns but they didn't really earn it.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
But that's way too much effort to think of all that when you just want your character to be destitute. That's why I could never write a story, I would be thinking and figuring out all the above and realise it's really difficult to make a rich person poor.
here's my attempt to change it:

- Bruce has someone in charge of his stock portfolio, but still needs his prints to approve anything. Selina steals the prints like normal in the movie, but then her and Bane find Bruce's stock person and turn him/kill him instead of invading the Gotham Stock Exchange and making a show of it.

There, you now have a more plausible reason for Bruce to lose his money via his stocks.