• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Early on in the pandemic, there was speculation that introverts might have an edge in staving off loneliness due to the fact that their well-being relies less on social interaction than does that of their outgoing, extraverted, counterparts. At the time, however, there was very little solid data to support this assertion because the lockdowns, quarantining and social distancing were such new phenomena.

According to the newest study based on data collected over several months after the pandemic began, the University of Bern's Danièle A. Gubler and colleagues (2020) suggest that introversion could indeed be a beneficial trait to help stave off loneliness. A trait alone, though, isn't enough to provide protection, the authors maintain. The formula for adaptation to the stress of pandemic life includes, just as importantly, the strategies people use to regulate their emotions so they can keep loneliness at bay.

There are two basic types of emotion regulation strategies that people tend to use when confronted with challenging situations, the University of Bern researchers write. There are those that are adaptive, in that they help people feel better. The second category is those that are maladaptive, in that they only fan the flames of unpleasant feelings.

To sum up, your personality as an introvert or extravert isn't the only factor that affects your ability to cope with life's vicissitudes. What appears to matter more for your fulfillment is the way you regulate your emotions when those vicissitudes stress your resources.

www.psychologytoday.com

The Emotional Strength of Introverts During the Pandemic

New research shows the resilience of introverts for life in COVID-19.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
As an introvert this doesn't surprise me in the slightest. The lock down and quarantine sucks but it hasn't totally upended my entire world like it has so many others.

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
i think the only thing that bothered me at the beginning was having a slight change to how i was able to do things but i quickly adapted and it doesn't really bother me.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As an introvert that likes going out once or twice at most in a month, this pandemic has fucked me up, it really sucks when you can't see your friends, get to do stuff in like 8+ months.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
The pandemic has been extremely tough - obviously. Stress, anxiety, and depression haven't been kind at all but I do believe that my being an introvert helped me a lot to survive being at home for such a long period. There are antsy days but I've always been content to snuggle with the dogs or lose time to games or just hang around the house so it's great.

The one negative for me as far as WFH goes is that I never realized how important the "psyche up/wind down" 10-minute drive to work was for me. There's no separation of home/work areas anymore and, especially with work email on my phone now, I'm never truly disconnected. I'm very much a "leave your work at work" kind of person (especially after a few jobs I've had) so it's been quite the adjustment on that front.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
As an introvert all I can say is that I've been sleeping alot better than before the pandemic started.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Checks out. I'm perfectly fine and content with just futzing around my apartment, playing videogames or watching movies.

Now, if there was a pandemic that demanded people get together in large groups at all times and you constantly had to talk with each other, I'd absolutely hate that.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do spoken word poetry, and a lot of events have moved to Zoom. Like, I really, really miss the audience and feeling their energy and vibe.

But also, I get to read my shit and just chill right after I'm done and not have to talk to people? It's kind of amazing.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
My wife and I love staying at home, so we're ok. But she gets incredibly mad seeing people on the news going out and not wearing masks or social distancing. The only thing we miss is going out to go grocery shopping, eating out once in a while, and taking our son to the library.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I make a handful of friends ever and I was between them anyways and didn't have access to any of my other few social groups in the area anyw

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I wasn't trying to change careers the lockdown wouldn't have changed anything for me, I already WFH and order stuff online.

For the mental aspect of it, the lockdown was the least of my problems. Shitty people doing shitty stuff made me angry, not the lockdown.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm generally introverted so this is kind of a standard practice put into reality. (For the most part.)

I'd love to be able to go to sporting events or dinner somewhere, but whatever.

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know, at the beginning I would have agreed to this, but lately I have been struggling a lot with the loneliness. It's not like I dislike being around other poeple, quite the opposite.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Life is basically the same for me except I don't get to go to movies or see friends as often. A lot about the state of the world sucks but I've been chillin'.

The worst part is uh, lack of a sex life, but it wasn't exactly booming before lol.

Belladonna

Oct 30, 2017
Introvert reporting in. What's loneliness again?

In all fairness, makes me appreciate meeting people in person more. I never thought I'd say it but would have preferred more chances than I have right now. I've been working from home since March, my contact with the outside is literally almost non-existing aside from going to the shops.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
I'm very much an introvert, and while I think I've weathered this better than an extrovert would I'm still pretty worn down by it.

DenverCo

Feb 21, 2019
Denver
I kind of wish I was single during this entire pandemic. I love my partner but I would have enjoyed the shut in more. But to her credit she helped me stay healthy by making home cooked meals, if it wasn't for her I would be eating take out every day.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeup. As someone with BPD and OCd, I'm pretty much like

255.gif

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
As an introvert all I'm saying is it feels like I've been training my whole life for this pandemic
Yeah, it feels like I was born for this kind of scenario. I've always been an introverted homebody type. So while I'm handling things pretty well all things considered, I'm just watching my wife going nuts. She craves that social interaction and going out, while I'm just cool staying at home playing games, watching movies, and reading manga. I'm far more concerned about her happiness and wellbeing at this time than my own. I can see the toll the pandemic is taking on her everyday, and it makes me feel really bad. Just wish there was an end in sight, but this country is fucking up so badly in it's response to the virus, that I don't really see things returning to normal any time soon.

Oct 26, 2017
If anything pandemic life has been a positive for me as I no longer need to spend 2 hours a day commuting to and from work.

Long live covid.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
As an introvert all I'm saying is it feels like I've been training my whole life for this pandemic

Wife: I hate my coworkers, I hate my job, I hate not going out, I think I'm forming depression, I need to go somewhere.

Me: My bean in Fall Guys is a 75 time Worldwide Champ. I like to pretend he's Ric Flair. Whooooooo!

I'm pretty sure she thinks I'm insane by now.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
I've enjoyed the built in excuse to socialize even less, but it's not a slam dunk. There are introvert-friendly activities that are impractical now that I used to use to destress, like trips to the theater. I also think my attitude toward others has worsened as I get very grouchy when people walk near me on the street and I'm unsure whether they'll give me 6'.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Other than being unemployed, life barely feels different to me if I'm being honest. I've actually enjoyed spending all my time at home by myself.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
My biggest stressor under lockdown as an introvert was not knowing how long the lockdown would be, in a very "I am enjoying this and it ending stresses me out" way.

Obviously I had my share of freak outs over whether my job would exist on the other side, but I would have been fine going another six months. I'd LOVE to do another one.

Abdiel

Oct 28, 2017
The only downside to this is that my tabletop gaming group has been on hiatus, since online game formats don't work very well for us.

I miss my friends... Even if it was only on a once a week, in a controlled format.

Otherwise, the wife and I are running this pandemic easy mode. We both are content to stay inside and read, game, watch anime, etc.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
As an introvert, this pandemic is nice because it forces the extroverts into my comfort zone. One thing I dislike in the office was the extroverts setting all the rules for group activities based on their confort zone and I end up looking anti-social for declining for proposing tweaking something to be less uncomfortable for me. The table have flipped and I frankly feel like lording it over them.

But at the same time I can sympathize with extroverts wanting for social time, just don't use my daily zoom meetings to yammer on about your life. Go create your own separate meeting space.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
Aside from like one or two people I do enjoy being around for extended periods of time, fuck yes.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The lockdown/pandemic has brought more good than bad to me, lol. Could go on like that forever. Can't think of a situation where it ever bothered me being at home all day long. Always loved it.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
I got laid off at the start of this mess, but beyond the stress of worrying about a paycheck, I very much enjoyed being stuck home everyday. I don't think I actually know what loneliness feels like, but I don't think I experienced it. I enjoyed being able to work on my own projects unabated and I set myself normal "work" hours to focus on them to keep my schedule essentially the same and it was fine. good, even. Probably the closest I've been to happy in years.

I like being back at work and having insurance and a paycheck and all that, but I feel a little guilty about how much I miss being locked down.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I'm an introvert that likes being around people, so not for me.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I'm back to working from home full time and I love it. Combined with zero plans? I'm made in the shade over here.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
THIS.

With the exception of horrible shit happening in general, both personal and not, I've acclimated quite well to this shut-in lifestyle. It simply isn't far removed from my non-pandemic routine and habits.
Yeah outside of the horrible shit that's happened socially. My own personal routine hasn't been interrupted that much. I do feel bad for extroverts though. I can't imagine this pandemic has been anything close to easy for them.

lol, this exactly why I started telling people when they complained about the shut downs.
Lmao same.

Lmao right? It's been heaven on Earth for me. There was a bout in April where I was SUPER ready to go back into the office but since then I've been living my best life.
Yeah I had the same thing but from June-July where I was ready to go back to the office. The feeling died down and I've been living it up at home since then.

Yup. Everything is mostly the same, except not going on vacation, to the movies, or eating out as much.
Same here. I think the only thing I really miss is going out on vacation. And it isn't even burning away at me it's just one of those things that I think would be nice to do lol.

Yeah, it feels like I was born for this kind of scenario. I've always been an introverted homebody type. So while I'm handling things pretty well all things considered, I'm just watching my wife going nuts. She craves that social interaction and going out, while I'm just cool staying at home playing games, watching movies, and reading manga. I'm far more concerned about her happiness and wellbeing at this time than my own. I can see the toll the pandemic is taking on her everyday, and it makes me feel really bad. Just wish there was an end in sight, but this country is fucking up so badly in it's response to the virus, that I don't really see things returning to normal any time soon.
I feel that my girlfriend is the same she loves going out and talking to people. The pandemic has been way harder on her then me. Wish there was something more I could do to help her outside of what I'm doing now. But unless I could wipe covid out in my city and bring back our old life. There isn't much else I can do.

Wife: I hate my coworkers, I hate my job, I hate not going out, I think I'm forming depression, I need to go somewhere.

Me: My bean in Fall Guys is a 75 time Worldwide Champ. I like to pretend he's Ric Flair. Whooooooo!

I'm pretty sure she thinks I'm insane by now.
I think you are me lmao

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
While I haven't been alone since I live with my brothers and mother, pandemic life has not changed my daily routine outside of my usual eating places closing early. I've adapted pretty much seamlessly to the changes like social distancing, isolation, and limiting social interactions since I do that already. In fact, when the lockdown first started in NYC, it was legit my favorite time of the year because no one was on the streets and the ambient silence was borderline theraputic...until I got to work where it was either dead or packed to the brim with customers.

The only real negative to the pandemic lifestyle is seeing everyone else freak out about it. Some I feel sympathy for like extroverts and other socially dependent people who need face to face interactions and other daily needs to function but follow protocol anyway and try their best under the circumstances. Others...not so much.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
Reduced stress from not having to be social doesn't nearly make up for the increased stress from, you know, every single other damn thing happening in the world

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
easy peasy lemon squeezy

Only thing that bothers me is I am less likely to get out for exercise and sight seeing.