MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think more than anything what hit me most with PS5 is the Dualsense, and not just for the sublime haptics and adaptive triggers. Just the overall construction, feel and shape are just about perfect. It has a nice heft to it without feeling too heavy. The Dpad and buttons feel great, the analogues feel great, just overall a huge step up in quality from the DS4.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
tbh aside from haptics/triggers I didn't really feel any difference holding it. The touchpad is noticeably different, but I mean nothing other than that. Feels similar to a DS4 when you're not staring at it.

Telaso

Oct 25, 2017
Been using it a week now. I dont think I like it. Something about where my palms set on the controller while playing. They changed the dimensions somewhere that bothers me. I dont know how to explain it sadly.

The DS4 is my all time favorite controller that I will try and use as long as possible for everything.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
I think I prefer the ds4 v2's dpad. The dualsense's dpad is mushier, more like the ds4 v1. The arrows are more elevated on the ds4 v2 too, I feel like I hit diagonals easier on it. Everything else is an improvement though. The joysticks in particular feels fantastic.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
It definitely feels like Sony took some notes from the Xbox One controller. As someone who really likes how the Xbox controllers feel, the Dualsense feels great in my hands, definitely my favorite Sony controller so far in ergonomics. Buttons for the most part feel fine, but nothing amazing, and the D-Pad kinda reminds me of the 360's so we'll see what people think about it when playing fighters. Haven't tried the haptic stuff yet.

That said, specifically because of that, I could see those that felt the DS4 was too bulky compared to the DS3 and like the latter more, will hate the Dualsense's ergonomics.

OP
OP
MercuryLS

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Been using it a week now. I dont think I like it. Something about where my palms set on the controller while playing. They changed the dimensions somewhere that bothers me. I dont know how to explain it sadly.

The DS4 is my all time favorite controller that I will try and use as long as possible for everything.
That's interesting, I don't think there's a single thing on the DS4 that I like better than the Dualsense pad.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
So, my console just arrived minutes ago. It is not set up yet. But the first thing I did was take the controller out of the box because it is the feature of the hardware I am most excited about. I have had nothing but high expectations for the controller.

But I need to be honest here: the face buttons are not what I expected. They are very soft buttons. They are very short, very shallow, and don't click. They just... mush. It feels so wrong. They are nothing like the DualShock 4.

We will see how it feels to play an actual game but I've used a lot of controllers with a lot of buttons in my life and I have never had such a viscerally negative reaction to such an integral suppression. This is not at all what I anticipated. I am interested what other people think about this because I was prepared to be over the moon with this controller. I hope it is just a bad first impression.

Edit: I will come back after 24 hours and say how I feel after extended play.

RGB

Nov 13, 2017
How would you say it rates agains the Switch Pro Controller in terms of feel?
Tangibly more solid construction, heavier in the hand, the switch gear feels better damped (less likely to rattle). Sticks have a similar weight and spring strength.

Minor thing, I have pretty big hands and if I grip the controller sides firmly my pinky rests on the squared off end of the grip which could, maybe, be annoying to some. But that's really trying to nit pick.

nStruct

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Seattle, WA
Easily Sony's best controller. I've loved haptics ever since the Rumble Pak and the DualSense feels next gen in this regard. Love it.

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
Feels amazing. Really dig the heftier weight of it, the DS4 feels hollow when I hold it now lol. The sticks feel a little closer together than what I'm used to though, not sure how to describe it.

I think I prefer the ds4 v2's dpad. The dualsense's dpad is mushier, more like the ds4 v1. The arrows are more elevated on the ds4 v2 too, I feel like I hit diagonals easier on it. Everything else is an improvement though. The joysticks in particular feels fantastic.

Thought it was just my controller, yeah the dpad feels really mushy compared to the ds4

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
I'm excited for it, but I really wish somebody would break down how the d-pad performs. I'll know for myself in a few days, but people so often gloss over a d-pad's issues when they get a new controller.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Truly the best next gen frature next to the ray tracing

im completely blown away. When i played the section with the spring i was completely blown away

them playing bugsnax to see how different it was ...this needs to be the standard.

skating in astro to feel haptics was also so freaking cool

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let's hope more than first party games take full advantage of this

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Amazing controller. Haptics and triggers are crazy especially with the 3D audio. The talk-to-text is great as well. Everything about PS5 is impressing me right now.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
I still just want them to eventually break form and put the sticks asymmetrical, but I guess I will dream for that in 2027.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
I can't wait to replace my DualShock 4 gaming sessions with the DualSense. Don't get me wrong, I loved the DS4 for the last seven years, but for the last months it's starting to make my hands ache after little play time. It's giving me cramps, especially on my right hand.

The DualSense seem to have the perfect curvature and size for my hands. I wanna grab that beautiful thing and never let go.

mangdo

Banned
Sep 18, 2020
tbh aside from haptics/triggers I didn't really feel any difference holding it. The touchpad is noticeably different, but I mean nothing other than that. Feels similar to a DS4 when you're not staring at it.
Try holding a DS4 and a DualSense and tell me if you think they feel similar. DualSense is notably heavier and bigger, and sits a lot better in the hand imo. Plus the triggers feel way smoother.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Do the triggers feel closer to DS4 or to Xbox One ? Just the actual feel of the buttons, not the feedback stuff.

I really can't stand the triggers on the DS4 (or 3 for that matter), they are my big issue with those controllers.

mangdo

Banned
Sep 18, 2020
One of the biggest qualms I had with the DS4 was how noisy the buttons were, especially when you had to mash a button. Would legit wake my partner up sometimes (they're a light sleeper) so I like how it's softer now personally.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
The haptics are pretty much Pro Controller HD rumble on steroids, so that was a nice surprise. Hate the mushy dpad. Love the more ergonomic feel of the controller. Adaptive triggers are cool, but I'm skeptical of whether devs will even it use it outside of a few standout games.

Deleted member 20429

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I really don't like the way the Dualsense sits in the hand. I've been having a go at using it all day and I just can't seem to find a way to hold it that makes it just feel natural in my hands and I'm constantly hyper aware of it and having to shuffle my grip around.

I'm also not a fan of how the buttons feel, they seem to have a little less tactile feedback compared to the DS4 and feel a bit mushy especially on the dpad. I'm really disappointed and honestly gutted because I was super excited :(

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
One of the things I really like about it that won't be talked about as much is how much quieter it is to use. Analog sticks hitting the sides and button presses are a lot quieter than my Series X controller, which is great for someone like me who uses a lavalier mic to record commentary sometimes.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I'm loving how the controller feels, especially the sticks feel much less slippery over a long gaming session.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am just insanely happy with its feel. I do have 3 of them and all three have a totally different feel on their left and up dpads.
Different enough I can tell them all apart by feel and sound.
And I haven't really noticed the haptic stuff being world ending. BUT the comfort is so much higher for me as someone who did not like the Ps4's controller

Apr 11, 2018
Australia
It really is amazing but it still feels techy or like really fine tuned rumble rather than actual sensations to me. When it's combined with the sound effects that's what makes the real difference. It's amazing and feels incredible but there is still room for improvement. I'm being as critical as possible here honestly it's pretty damn incredible what sony have done. I haven't felt like a console has been this 'cutting edge' since the Dreamcast.

The triggers, however, are a true game-changer they're the best part of the controller by far. Overall very happy with everything but the overly glowing previews of the controller probably set most people up with unrealistic expectations.

Psygnomic

Oct 30, 2017
I'm really not sure, with smaller hands it feels like my wrists/palms aren't in a relaxed position when I stretch put my thumbs onto the sticks. Time will tell though, I love the look of it.