Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Do you all remember when an innocent Berber family had to prove that their daughter was actually theirs, because apparently the idea of having children who don't look like their parents is a foreign concept to some people?

58fdd7f61c00002600e8144d.jpeg
Lolwut. There's definitely resemblance in the dad's eyes and mother's nose.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah all they saw was the blonde hair though. People are fucking stupid.
They really fucking are. Many people have blonde hair as young children and it gets darker as they grow older. Plus it's not out of the realm of possibility for two brunettes to have a blonde child anyway. My own aunt had blonde hair for her whole life despite having 2 brunette parents.

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
Disappointing description. The parents had something to do with it and it was fucking shameful how Scotland Yard took over dismissing evidence provided by the Portuguese police.

As some of you said, had the suspects been of any other ehtnicity or nationality they would have been all over them.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
I personally feel the parents did it - or at least know what happened.

I once read a website (which has since been taken down) with 17 or so key facts (and a long explanation about each one) that for me showed the guilt. Far too many inconsistencies.

Regardless of whether they did do anything or not - unbelievable that they went to dinner and left their kids. Why go on holiday with them if you're doing that? Damned right negligent.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always felt bad for doubting the parents over the disappearance... and yet doubt them both I still do.

Will be watching this for sure.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That's the problem, many of the doubters are getting lumped in with conspiracy theorists. There's no way you can follow the whole story outside of the headlines and not think everything adds up.

I was sure they did it before I went through the investigation itself, and at first you think you see all sorts of hints (like when they go diving but then you realize they are with the local instructor), but over time it just makes less and less sense. But you can definitely imagine that in realizing they would be blamed because of their negligence they started to lie and hire PR firms and all to protect themselves, which led people to think they had something to do with the disappearance.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you all remember when an innocent Berber family had to prove that their daughter was actually theirs, because apparently the idea of having children who don't look like their parents is a foreign concept to some people?

58fdd7f61c00002600e8144d.jpeg

LOLwut? The media actually just found some random people and accused them of actually stealing the missing baby? To the point they had to pose in this photo with that ridiculous hat?

tenor.gif

Oct 25, 2017
China
I was sure they did it before I went through the investigation itself, and at first you think you see all sorts of hints (like when they go diving but then you realize they are with the local instructor), but over time it just makes less and less sense. But you can definitely imagine that in realizing they would be blamed because of their negligence they started to lie and hire PR firms and all to protect themselves, which led people to think they had something to do with the disappearance.

The inconsistencies happened immediately. Before the PR campaign, before going to see the pope. Your kids missing and they go and play tennis? Really?

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The inconsistencies happened immediately. Before the PR campaign, before going to see the pope. Your kids missing and they go and play tennis? Really?

This doesn't add any evidence that they were involved. Dumb, cold, uncaring? Possibly, but looking at the actual evidence, witnesses testimonies, police interrogations (which are all online), it doesn't make sense that in a two hour time frame she would have gone from alive to dead/disappeared. There is just no actual credible way to explain their involment unless you assume they drugged the kids and planned for someone to come and take the kids while they were at the club's restaurant. The police never managed to explain how it would have played out.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Whether or the parents had anything to with the disappearance is for me largely irrelevant.

The fact is at the very least they should be charged with child neglect. They fucked off out for wine and tapas and last 3 very young children home alone... If this was Sharon Matthews doing the same in benidorm going down the red lion to watch only fools and horses she would have been raked over the coals (and rightly so).

And yet they ran a savvy media campaign and raked in 100,000s of pounds to fund a search?!?

Seriously WTF

airjoca

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Portugal
The Portuguese Police's evidence was dismissed because at a certain point it became "us vs them", upstanding british citizens vs a poor southern european country.

Adonis

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Whether or the parents had anything to with the disappearance is for me largely irrelevant.

The fact is at the very least they should be charged with child neglect. They fucked off out for wine and tapas and last 3 very young children home alone... If this was Sharon Matthews doing the same in benidorm going down the red lion to watch only fools and horses she would have been raked over the coals (and rightly so).

And yet they ran a savvy media campaign and raked in 100,000s of pounds to fund a search?!?

Seriously WTF

I remember watching a doc about this a few years ago and some one remembered seeing a man carrying a child in his hands near their hotel, it turned out he was picking his child up from an all night creche .. so it's not like that facility was not even available to them .

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I remember watching a doc about this a few years ago and some one remembered seeing a man carrying a child in his hands near their hotel, it turned out he was picking his child up from an all night creche .. so it's not like that facility was not even available to them .

They brought their own kids there more than once.

cabot

Oct 25, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland

Seriously WTF

This is my stance. You don't leave a 3 year old and two one year old kids alone in a room in another country.

On top of that they left a door unlocked. Madness.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
While I'm gonna watch it because it was hella big when it happened.... but 8 parts? Seriously!? How couldn't they of condensed that into about 4? Or even one movie documentary?

Oct 17, 2018
This is gonna be good to watch tomorrow when I get in. Definitely one of the most interesting missing persons case out there, especially cause I'm from the UK and it is still brought up fairly often.

Merrill

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax
The first episode is losing me. It's all over the place, too many different people talking. It's slow and boring.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
I have enjoyed some of the Netflix true crime series, but no fucking way am I watching one about child abduction.

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
I wasn't in the UK when this all happened, so I'm intrigued to learn about the details.

Although, I'm disappointed about a lot of the negative reaction I've seen to the quality of the series so far.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
This sounds really interesting. I remember when this case broke and have thought about it recently.

I love mysteries so I'll watch it and finally dive into the other Netflix true crime shows.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
Nearly done with the first episode. It's obviously exceedingly slow but I think it's trying to transport the viewer to the time and place, and really familiarise yourself with the scenario and all of its characters so you can make more of an informed decision about whether you think the story of an abduction makes sense.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The only good way to make a documentary on this is to get enough money to do an in-depth re-enactment based on all testimonies and investgation, and branching to explore different situations when testimonies or evidence diverges.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not convinced the parents were in on it or somehow managed to dispose of a body but I do feel if the parents were ethnic minority or working-class white the media would have attacked them and blamed them.
But the media did attack and blame them and then got in shit over it.
They won like nearly a million dollars in court from just one of the newspapers.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that dogs were already let into the room where she was and detected the presence of both blood and a deceased body. I don't get the point of this doc when it's obvious we'll never find out exactly what happened because her parents are taking their secret to the grave.

Nothus

Oct 26, 2017
I'm four episodes in so far and if you're interested in the case then it's definitely worth a watch. As with a lot of Netflix shows there is a lot of filler in here to make it stretch to more episodes than is necessary, but I guess that trend isn't going away any time soon.
Episode 3 and 4 is where things started to get more interesting as the focus begins to switch more towards the parents' involvement etc.

They show the footage of the blood/cadaver dogs searching the original flat, another villa the parents stayed in and also the rental car they hired. For some reason I found the footage really unsettling, maybe the reaction of a dog is the closest we'll ever get to knowing what really happened.

GobHoblin

Oct 27, 2017
Watched the first ep, was really slow and I found myself reaching for my phone too often. Unsure whether to continue

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
I remember this vividly from growing up. British tabloids went all the fucking way in with their coverage, it was ubiquitous. I used to read my parents/grandparents papers after primary school most days so I remember how huge it was. And even for a missing little blonde girl, the extent of the media attention it got is still crazy to me. I don't think it could happen now. Also I thought then the parents were involved and pretty much still do.

And I don't think I needed or wanted a docco to relive it all either.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Her parents know what happened and have been visibly annoyed by people being interested in this case.

This is a load of bull. Despite their obvious neglect we have no concrete evidence they were involved in the disappearance. They should have been charged with neglect but then again they had lost a child - which was probably enough punishment for them more than anything else.

Last edited:

Tugatrix

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
If Portuguese Police had his way this would have been solved and the parents arrested for negligence and body concealment, but Gordon Brown used his influence to save the friend