• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is the combat in Yakuza 7 such a huge deal?

• Yes

Votes: 206 35.8%
  • No

Votes: 353 61.4%
  • Other (comment)

Votes: 16 2.8%

• Total voters

banshee150

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
I am a bit confused why its such a huge deal. The combat in Y0-Y5 (including the JP only samurai games) was well done but starting from Y6 and the dragon engine switch, it turned out into a shit show with less moves, less moves that actually connect, more jankyness and a general lack of polish (its at its worst with YK2 and Judgement). Are you that desperate for more of the same? I think this might be the reason why they decided to switch. The combat has been going downhill since the release of Yakuza 6 and I don't think Dragon Engine can salvage it.

If anything, I think the bigger question is: would Yakuza 7 have voiced lines for everything? Because in that regard Yakuza 6 was the best Yakuza game ever.

Frunkle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What in the actual fuck is the poll?

And I'm fine with turn based combat in yakuza, sounds like he thinks like a nerd and that's endearing.

Edit: sorry, it was showing up as a resident evil poll for some reason. It's fixed now.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's dope because it shows the studio's willing to take a risk to potentially improve the series. They did it by switching the main, they did it by giving us a new fighting style, they're doing a good amount to shift the franchise. If people don't like it then hey they don't have to like it. I like it though.

Oct 26, 2017
For me? Yes.

Yakuza is the only brawler out there, turning the game into a full blown JRPGs will make combat slower and tedius.

I expect Y7 to sell a lot in Japan, in the West? Dont think it will do better than previous titles.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I like the tactile feel of mashing buttons in a brawler and pummeling thugs. If i was tired of it, I wouldnt have played through nearly all of the Yakuza games.

I dont really mind the battle system change with Y7, but the battle system in the previous did not bother me at all. They were fun.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I've been playing 6 Yakuza games with brawler combat. I'm entirely fine with trying something new. I'm 200% here for the story, the characters, the music and the side activities. Combat is more of a means to an end than the thing I'm here for.

They can experiment as much as they want as long as it's fun and I have my Cabaret activity.

Infernostew

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I mean, yes the combat in Yakuza games are definitely a huge deal along with the stories they tell. Am I fine with them changing the combat system for Yakuza 7? Yes. Combat looks fun and while I love the old battle system, I'm really looking forward to a change of pace.

I really don't know how to answer this poll.

Frunkle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To add to what I'm saying, it seems like Kasuga thinks like a nerd because of his love on Dragon Quest, and I think that's something a lot of nerds can relate to. It's fun.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
I am a bit confused why its such a huge deal. The combat in Y0-Y5 (including the JP only samurai games) was well done but starting from Y6 and the dragon engine switch, it turned out into a shit show with less moves, less moves that actually connect, more jankyness and a general lack of polish (its at its worst with YK2 and Judgement). Are you that desperate for more of the same? I think this might be the reason why they decided to switch. The combat has been going downhill since the release of Yakuza 6 and I don't think Dragon Engine can salvage it.

If anything, I think the bigger question is: would Yakuza 7 have voiced lines for everything? Because in that regard Yakuza 6 was the best Yakuza game ever.

I've got very little experience with Yakuza, but going thru the threads I saw a lot of people that are just fans of the 3D Brawler genre of games. They just seemed disappointed that one of the few good ones was changing things up so drastically since there aren't many other options for them at this point.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm more hyped than I would have been otherwise.
I love their games and will buy each entry pretty much no matter what, but seeing that they're trying something new is exciting. I wanna see the game that they wanna make, not the one that they're forced to make cause of series precedent.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even if the combat in the Yakuza games isn't good, it's still long running, and anything major will get a reaction.

Furthermore, there's nothing really suggesting their new system will be better. If anything it's the opposite, making a satisfying brawler is much easier than making an interesting turn based system. If I'm gonna get "solid but just a distraction from the real star, the story" gameplay, than I'd rather have something like the original combat.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yakuza Kiwami 2 improved upon Yakuza 6 and Judgment improved upon that.

I think going turn based is interesting but it's not like the choice was between bad combat and turn based

Oct 27, 2017
Dragon Engine combat is best combat but I'm okay with something new too. Also 6 having better combat than K2 and Judgment is hilariously wrong lmao.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm definitely open to it. Yakuza is such a solid series, I can't not give it a chance.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
I'll be honest. I've played all the Yakuza games, and the thing I enjoy the most is always the story and exploration, the combat is never that interesting for me. (gasp)

So if this new combat is more laid back, it's ok. Let them try something new.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I'm up for a system change. I do not understand the whole deal about a change of pace. If it's that much of a deal don't buy the game?

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
What controversy? The fact that people would rather something stagnant, instead of trying to innovate? I think the change is refreshing, especially since playing through the Yakuza games and Judgement, I end up going to auto mode. If this new system forces me to re-think how to approach a battle and gives me decent options, while being entertaining then I'm all for it.

Oct 30, 2017
I'm excited for the change. I trust RGG. If it's a deal breaker for you, you're lucky you've got like a dozen other Yakuza games to enjoy.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea how to answer this poll.
I don't mind the change. 7 main games playing very similar plus a spinoff is more than enough to let it rest.

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think the move is brilliant on paper, especially because the things I like about the combat in Yakuza (namely the ridiculous animations and heat moves) are going to fit right in with a turn based system.

I understand the argument that there aren't really any other brawler games of Yakuza's quality and budget anymore, but I would be very, very surprised if they don't continue that style of gameplay elsewhere, most likely in Judgment sequels. As a recent convert to Yakuza I couldn't be more pleased about the whole thing, really, and it's probably good for the devs to have something slightly different to make.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
If they start to include annoying child characters to fill up the party then I'm going to have a problem.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't deny that Kiwami 2 was a step down, but I still enjoyed the combat in that game more than in the vast majority of traditional turn-based JRPGs that I've played. If I'm going to be forced through a lot of simple repetitive battles between the meaningful ones, I'd like them to be action-based as I'd imagine they'd go faster and I'd have movelists to play with.

Thankfully, I've played a ton of these games. I'm still keeping my eye on this one, but I'm fine passing on it if it doesn't look up my alley.

kenta

Oct 25, 2017
The phrasing of the question is weird. I think it's a huge deal but I'm onboard with it -- it's a bold move and I trust them. What do I answer?

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Seems silly to claim that the only options here are "shitty brawler combat with few moves and weirdness ala Dragon Engine" and "no brawler combat at all."

And yeah, it is a huge deal. The producers themselves know it's a huge deal. I think it's a brave and potentially very smart decision, but let's not pretend that it's no big deal because "Dragon Engine combat sucks" or whatever.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
I hope it's a huge deal in that it will be hugely successful. Huge as a reason to freak out it is not.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
I chose other to explain: changes in a game can be great. However, a radical change in a formula could destroy it. When Comand And conquer 4 gave up the old way to build a base(electricity, farm gold)and created a moving base, it ruined the gameplay of the series, and sort of killed Command and Conquer.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I think the combat is a big deal to fans, especially considering it's what they've been used to for 13 years.

Personally I'm really excited for it (never thought I would be for a Yakuza game). I stopped playing 0, despite enjoying the story and setting, after finding the combat to be way too simplistic.

So a new story, setting, and combat system sounds great.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
Yes, it's huge to me, because the beat 'em up combat is why I play these games in the first place. I'm willing to try a Y7 demo if they release one for the west, but unless I'm extraordinarily impressed, I think I'm getting off the ride with Kiryu from this series.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really excited to play Y7. I started Zero forever ago and I adore the story, but the combat has never been anything to write home about so I put it back on the shelf several times and have yet to beat it, despite owning YK1 and YK2. The change in combat has me so much more intrigued, especially because it ties to the protagonist's love for video games and Dragon Quest.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this the same franchise that has 1/4th of a game where you play rhythm games as a young girl singing bubblegum pop? We'll get through this too.

I disagree that combat has gone downhill though and it's not exactly surprising why the change is controversial. I'll reserve judgement for later whether or not this was a good idea.

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
I'm stoked for the change. The combat is by far my least favorite part of the games. It's serviceable and nothing more for me.

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
its a big deal to me, since i dont really like turn based games anymore, its a completely no-no in most cases. Ill probably not play 7, but I understand their ambition in wanting to change the franchise after so many games.

Nov 2, 2017
I think it's more that 3d brawler style games like Yakuza are exceedingly rare. I don't have a problem with the turn based whatever thing they are doing. But I am sad that there might not be anything to fill the gap Yakuza leaves behind.