• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA

GbnoZuG.jpg

SEASON TWO LANDING PAGE
Link to the landing page on Amazon Video: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QQQ52B3

4K Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VJXFXY2/

Trailer: https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B07SZK5J7D/ref=atv_dp_watch_trailer_tv?autoplay=1

Based on the comic book from Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson (among other artists). Ennis is Irish and used to drink too much and wrote the best Hellblazer (Constantine) and The Punisher comics out there - that's not debatable, that's just the truth. So that should give you an idea about the kind of superhero show you're about to watch.

Developed for television by Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg, who recently worked together to develop another Ennis property, Preacher.

The first episode is directed by The Totally Rad Show alumni Dan Trachtenberg, director of 10 Cloverfield Lane.

The Gist
Wikipedia said:
The Boys is set in a universe where superpowered individuals are recognized as heroes by the general public and owned by powerful corporation Vought International, which markets and monetizes them. Outside of their heroic personas, most are arrogant and corrupt. The series primarily focuses on two groups: the Seven, Vought International's premier superhero team, and the titular Boys, vigilantes looking to keep the corrupted heroes under control.

The Boys are led by Billy Butcher, who despises all superpowered people, and the Seven are led by the egotistical and unstable Homelander.

At its heart, however, a story of star-crossed lovers ...........

kVEzJJy.png

qNLtOgE.png

House of Capulet

Erin Moriarty as Annie January - AKA Starlight. She has the same name as Sherlock Holmes's arch nemesis. How G is that?
oS8VCwu.png

Antony Starr as an amalgamation of Captain America and the evil Superman from another dimension - Homelander
IIsG9oU.png

Jessie T. Usher as A-Train
u7563rD.png

Aya Cash as Stormfront
fIw3xKX.png

Dominique McElligott as Wonder Woman
6OEMJ9n.png

Chace Crawford as Ocean Master
SRVH2uo.png

Black Noir (Nathan Mitchell) as Snyder Batman
OoIT8eo.png

Elisabeth Shue as Madelyn Stillwell, Senior VP of Hero Management
7OaEZad.png

rMtrbz8.png

House of Montague

Jack Quaid as Hughie Campbell
c4dBr2S.png

Judge Dredd as Billy Butcher
gdYX3eb.png

Laz Alonso as Mother's Milk
x0pyVlH.png

Tomer Capon as Frenchie
1adwW8b.png

Karen Fukuhara as The Female / Wolverine
SeFJpOX.png

Shaun of the Dead as someone, you know you want to watch it because he's in it
ISXvcRN.png

A parody on super heroics in general with an extremely satirical take, as one would expect from Ennis. It's gruesome, crass, crude, self referential in its way, and has a far higher budget and production value than it deserves. It goes farther, in that it's poignant in regards to politics, American society, corporatism, and more. It's truly a better show than you're expecting if all you've seen are the trailers.

Last edited:

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
Cross post from the trailer thread.

I'm 3 episodes in. No exposure to the comic, only saw the trailer. I'm honestly enjoying it, it started much slower than I expected from the trailer and it seems more serious and less profane than the trailer seemed to indicate.
The main feeling I get from it is sadness, not the edgelord darkness I was expecting , although that is there, but a feeling of existential anxiety. It seems less a critique of the super hero genre and more an examination of modern celebrity culture, and the seemingly ever increasing chasm between the haves and the havenots. I was not expecting to be emotionally invested in the show, but it caught me in a way that I was not expecting. I really hope the rest of the season keeps it up, and doesn't descend to far into the edgelord territory.

I wish we still had the Tick though, a light hearted take on the superhero concept was also welcome.

OP
OP
FaceHugger

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Personally, I think this might be the best original show Amazon has done. It's not deep. It's not trying to win any awards or appeal to a certain niche. It's just plain dumb fun that is really funny to anyone who is a fan of superhero movies.

Cross post from the trailer thread.

I'm 3 episodes in. No exposure to the comic, only saw the trailer. I'm honestly enjoying it, it started much slower than I expected from the trailer and it seems more serious and less profane than the trailer seemed to indicate.
The main feeling I get from it is sadness, not the edgelord darkness I was expecting , although that is there, but a feeling of existential anxiety. It seems less a critique of the super hero genre and more an examination of modern celebrity culture, and the seemingly ever increasing chasm between the haves and the havenots. I was not expecting to be emotionally invested in the show, but it caught me in a way that I was not expecting. I really hope the rest of the season keeps it up, and doesn't descend to far into the edgelord territory.

I wish we still had the Tick though, a light hearted take on the superhero concept was also welcome.

Paradoxically, this is also true. That's when you know a show is good.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Just watched first ep with husband. Surprising quality! Looks well-budgeted and really interesting take on superheros in the world x capitalism x celebrity culture. Kind of like The Tick, but darker elements.

Mudcrab

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Also as someone who only just finished Banshee I'm really glad to see Antony Starr in something else!

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I watched the first two episodes last night - thought it was pretty solid. Enjoying the cast and the soundtrack works for me. I was a little concerned they'd go too far with the edgy material, but it's reasonably well balanced thus far.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
im on episode 2 or 3, but i have a question,

outlander is going to fuck that baby up right???

lol

Oct 26, 2017
We're in this thread now? Okay.

There are parts of this that aren't as good as the corresponding parts of the comic book but this line in episode 5 is my favourite by far:

Butcher (at a religious retreat/convention): "If there is some geezer up there with a big white beard he's a real heavy-weight cunt."

im on episode 2 or 3, but i have a question,

Homelander is going to fuck that baby up right???

lol
*Fixed

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
7 episodes in and this is great. Its kinda like Irredeemable + Powers as I don't have any experience with the comic. It's a much, much better show than Powers though and does the whole brand heavy heroes thing great.

bunbun777

Oct 29, 2017
Nw
4 in so far and I'm impressed. Loved the comics, really appreciate the sinister, no, diabolical way in which the corporate culture flips what it is to be a hero and relentlessly advertises, brands, and weaponizes them.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished episode 4 and I feel it's the best one yet.

The stuff with the plane was the best thing the show has done thus far. And on the opposite end, the dolphin bit was hilarious.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
I love the little bits of non-sequitor dark humor:
"My father was a bipolar. When I was 10 he tried to suffocate me with a Hello Kitty blanket"
In response to Simon Pegg being completely accepting as a father and being attacked by his son for things he was unaware of.

Neoriceisgood

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I decided to take a glance at the comic this was based on.

It sure is very uhh... very edgy.