Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Man people mixing comic spoilers way too much with show spoilers. How we gonna know when an unlabeled spoiler tag is for the comics or the show?

greengr

Dec 3, 2018
I'm just going on what we've seen and the comics.

He doesn't have kryptonite. The gas won't work on him. There's literally nothing they can do. He's the ultimate villain.
You KNOW Homelander is getting curbstomped in the Oval Office in like the final season from the compound v powered up boys and its gonna be awesome

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Disregard this thread, watch The Boys, then come back and talk about how awesome Homelander is.
I already watched the show, I haven't read the comics past some early stuff and don't appreciate all the comic spoiler talk that isn't specified as comic spoiler talk.

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I already watched the show, I haven't read the comics past some early stuff and don't appreciate all the comic spoiler talk that isn't specified as comic spoiler talk.
Ah, yeah, posting non-tagged comic spoilers is pretty shitty considering how the show has been renewed.

zeioIIDX

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Holy crap, they seriously shit on The Deep any chance they get in this show. I suppose I shouldn't be sympathetic towards him though, all things considered. Episode 7 now, shit is getting tense.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Holy crap, they seriously shit on The Deep any chance they get in this show. I suppose I shouldn't be sympathetic towards him though, all things considered. Episode 7 now, shit is getting tense.
For a split second I thought he might not be a total shitbag when he was advocating for saving some dolphins but....
Of course it was just because he was boning one wtf lmao.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
For a split second I thought he might not be a total shitbag when he was advocating for saving some dolphins but....
The market scene with the lobster was great though.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it. Weak end to the season but I am gonna assume the show has been green lit for a second season if they went with an ending like that. Overall I'd say it felt like a show about a bunch of psychopaths running around in public and unhinged more than it felt like a superhero show and I think it works. I hope they continue this in season 2 and keep the powers use to a minimum, just show in bits and pieces what these psychos can end up doing if they really wanted to but not whip out laser beams and amazing feats of superhero-ness all the time.

Speaking of psychos.....I now understand why so many comic fans want to the Evil Superman trope to be done justice on the big screen because if done right oh boy is it terrifying. Episode 4 was when I realized just how scary a superhero like that could really be. What the fuck can you even do to stop something like that? The show being set in a contemporary period also helps to ground the whole thing and really sells the fear of imagining something like a Homelander existing and no one being able to stop him if he really went nuclear one day.

The showrunner was asked about it, and he replied "lol there are just alot of flies around Toronto in the summer while we were filming. I just thought it made it look real."

It's nothing, unless they retcon it into something.
Oh ok....haha. That's weird, feels like the way it happened I was sure there was something to it, felt even a bit clever about it thinking I caught a little secret before they had revealed it but guess it turned out to be nothing in the end.

The action scenes were really poorly done though, I must say. They were almost entirely incoherent due to all the cuts.
The "fight" with Starlight and A-Train was the lamest shit ever. Looked so bad and the direction was hella dumb looking, hope they can improve on the action pieces in the future.

Even in the final episode, in the part where the guys were pinned down by gunfire behind the wall, the direction of the scene seemed wrong because they were sticking their heads out but it didn't make any sense. How they could do that without getting their heads blown off because the special ops guys had a clear sight on them from the otherside. Just looked so weird.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Hughie basically betrayed her while he was the only thing that felt real to her amongst all the phonies around her. So in the end she said "I don't care anymore."

So she went back a bit on the morale compass got maybe drunk a little bit and flirted with a random dude to get Hughie off her mind. So nationally she wanted to feel sexy as well.

She got sick either because she was a bit drunk OR yes she might be pregnant indeed.

Queen Maeve convinced her to not get lost in the sauce and be that goody 2 shoes!
Wasn't she a know Bolemic in the past

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely surprised by this series. Saw the first episode, the 2&3....but from "that scene" in Episode 4 onwards, I had to binge!

And yeah, I noticed the fly a couple of times...reading through the thread, it's said to just being a lot of flies while shooting in Toronto, but that seems suspect because the buzzing sound from the fly seemed much too pronounced to just be random background noise

TTG

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Just finished, kind of a mixed bag. I won't spoil anything explicitly, but anyway here's a warning if you don't want to read someone's thoughts on the entire thing before watching.

What's good:
-The premise is really strong. A bunch of regular guys planning to take out superheros is cool, I wish there was more of it actually.
-As others have mentioned, Homelander is a real stand out.
-High pressure moments is where this show is at its best.

On the flip side:
-Most of the characters are bad, there's no other word for it. Hughie is a typical empty vessel, I don't think he had one interesting thing to say the whole season. When he's not busy wooing Starlight with some really boilerplate aw shucks romcom moves he's standing mute looking intense while Butcher is talking. Speaking of whom, Butcher is a trainwreck of a stereotype. He's outright obnoxious.
-In the time between Translucent's arc and the finale things slow down and that's where a lot of problems bloom. I actually fast forwarded through a good bit of the Jesus fair episode, and then there were endless scenes with Hughie at the bar, the race, domesticating "the female" etc. It feels like they were saving a lot of conflict for later seasons, which is hard to understand. The boys should have had another supe to hunt, Lamplighter would have been an obvious choice.

More good than bad, enough to have kept me watching anyway.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Okay so I watched everything. Without going into too much detail I would say that it was amazing. Starlight, Butcher, and Homelander were all the best part of the show. Each them were perfectly acted and perfectly presented. I love it.

With that being said however I have to admit that it was one of the more fucked up shows I have seen in a while. I have no idea who I would recommend this to lol

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't he just push her off? and no, rape is more commonly about physical force than will wtf.
No, it's absolutely about will. For example, if you were to threaten a person with a gun unless they had sex with you, that'd be rape with no physical violence involved. Or if you consider threat a gun to be a physical force (it literally isn't, just for clarity, but it is the promise of physical force), it could be alternatively be blackmail like leaking something to the public.

The quintessence of rape isn't whether a person can physically resist, but whether they willfully consent. This woman overpowered the Deep's will by playing on his insecurities so rather than resist her physically, he just let her do what she wanted to him, even though he said no and she was hurting him. That's rape.

Haunted

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
This series is so much better than the comics and so much better than I thought it would be.

Starr is absolutely terrific.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I finally convinced my brother who usually refuses to watch anything with superpowers/cape comic related to watch this, I am sure he will be another convert and it will give me someone to talk to about the show.

That's really the one and only downside and another post on this page made me think about it, I love the show, think it's the best television so far this year but with real life people I know I am finding it uncomfortable to recommend because if they don't like it/get offended I am actually afraid it will alter what they think of me. It's a rare problem and I struggle to think of another show that has felt like that to me.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Couldn't he just push her off? and no, rape is more commonly about physical force than will wtf.
Youve got a lot to reevaluate yourself on bud.

Coercion is a powerful weapon used to prey on the weaknesses of others. You could take the opportunity to reflect on what this example might have to teach. Rape and rapists are stigmatized as something only violent men, foaming at the mouth in sexual frustration, are capable of, but this is a gross misunderstanding and oversimplification of the violation of consent and sexual exploitation. Take his position when he assaulted Annie, she was new, vulnerable, impressionable, and unguarded around a figure who held social status and personal worship over her. He exploited that vulnerability to fabricate a false idea of consent, and used that imbalance of power to coerce her into having sex with him on threat of his capability to silence and erase her if she didn't comply. He didn't have to tie her up or resort to violence to get what he wanted; the majority of nonconsensual acts rarely do.

So look at what happened when the tables were turned: he was in a vulnerable place. He was insecure about his identity, fearful of his future, feeding his anxiety with bad habits (literally), and taken advantage of by someone who held power over him in the situation. He was paralyzed by his circumstances, much like his victim, though the exploitation of women by men is undoubtedly emboldened by the mysoginist structure of society. Subsequently, this lends itself to men having the much easier time in committing, and avoiding punishment for, these kinds of crimes.

These things are not exclusive to mask-donned predators roaming alleyways; they happen every day between people you see driving their cars or getting coffee on the way to work. It's a problem that we are woefully under-equipped to deal with as a society as long as we keep stigmatizing that only certain types of people (specifically extremely violent men) are capable of doing.

Last edited:

InceptionLoop

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
umm so did Homelander rape Becca or did she come to him? If we shouldn't know yet then don't spoil it please.

Anyway it's a solid show, but no episode matched the first one for me. Antony Starr did an amazing job with Homelander, he really did feel terrifying for me with no way of actually knowing what he's gonna do.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished, kind of a mixed bag. I won't spoil anything explicitly, but anyway here's a warning if you don't want to read someone's thoughts on the entire thing before watching.

What's good:
-The premise is really strong. A bunch of regular guys planning to take out superheros is cool, I wish there was more of it actually.
-As others have mentioned, Homelander is a real stand out.
-High pressure moments is where this show is at its best.

On the flip side:
-Most of the characters are bad, there's no other word for it. Hughie is a typical empty vessel, I don't think he had one interesting thing to say the whole season. When he's not busy wooing Starlight with some really boilerplate aw shucks romcom moves he's standing mute looking intense while Butcher is talking. Speaking of whom, Butcher is a trainwreck of a stereotype. He's outright obnoxious.
-In the time between Translucent's arc and the finale things slow down and that's where a lot of problems bloom. I actually fast forwarded through a good bit of the Jesus fair episode, and then there were endless scenes with Hughie at the bar, the race, domesticating "the female" etc. It feels like they were saving a lot of conflict for later seasons, which is hard to understand. The boys should have had another supe to hunt, Lamplighter would have been an obvious choice.

More good than bad, enough to have kept me watching anyway.

Largely agree with this.

I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would have, maybe there's something about Amazon shows that just make me feel reluctant to watch them.

Huge highs throughout, it was really compelling, scary and funny at many times. But yes, it did feel a bit baggy and lazy at times too, strange mix.

One great moment was the reveal in I think Ep 6:
Mesmerizer being Haley Joel Osment after that child-star TV show.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished it last night. Decent show but lost interest at the end. First superhero related thing I have enjoyed but I enjoyed each episode less and less. Simply because I still don't care about superhero's. Found the plot to become pretty tedious, especially the stuff between Hughie and Starlight, same bullshit superhero romance nonsense as everything else.

Don't know the source material but the beginning feels like it had something to say but as it went on the show started to pull its punches and became typical superhero stuff but with some adult themes thrown in. Not really fussed about a second season which is also how I feel about every other Amazon series I have watched.

Last edited:

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Show is marked as Dolby Vision on Amazon Video, but it is not triggering the Dolby Vision stuff on my TV, only Standard HDR.

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Show is marked as Dolby Vision on Amazon Video, but it is not triggering the Dolby Vision stuff on my TV, only Standard HDR.

I noticed that too on my Fire stick 4K, along with other Amazon Originals, but AFAIK only Jack Ryan is in Dolby Vision...I checked my TV app to confirm, and only Jack Ryan there is labeled Dolby Vision...The Boys and other original shows have the standard HDR badge

ara

Oct 26, 2017
With that being said however I have to admit that it was one of the more fucked up shows I have seen in a while. I have no idea who I would recommend this to lol

I was initially going to suggest we'd watch this together with my GF, but decided to watch the first episode by myself just in case and when Robin's incredibly brutal death happened, I immediately went "nope, this'd be waaay to much for her" lmao.

But yeah, I also finished the show just now and personally loved it. It did start losing some steam a bit towards the end, but I'm definitely there day one when season 2 hits. Homelander, Butcher and Frenchie were easily my favorite parts of the show.

Last edited:

zeioIIDX

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
I like Frenchie and Kimiko. The motel bathroom interruption pissed me off :(

Oh and...seriously, anytime there was a scene where I suddenly heard Homelander's trademark woosh due to him landing nearby, it made my heart race. Even seeing him race through the sky and damn near create sonic booms was enough to scare me. X-ray vision, super powered hearing, flight capabilities, laser eyes...Really intimidating stuff to know that you can NOT outrun or hide from him.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
I'm two episodes deep and already foaming at the mouth to watch more when I get off work.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I like Frenchie and Kimiko. The motel bathroom interruption pissed me off :(

Oh and...seriously, anytime there was a scene where I suddenly heard Homelander's trademark woosh due to him landing nearby, it made my heart race. Even seeing him race through the sky and damn near create sonic booms was enough to scare me. X-ray vision, super powered hearing, flight capabilities, laser eyes...Really intimidating stuff to know that you can NOT outrun or hide from him.
Yeah Homelander had some seriously intimidating scenes.

But the scene with Starlight and the rest of the group took the cake for me. "SIT DOWN AND KEEP YOUR HANDS AT YOUR SIDE" *with glowing red eyes*

Fucking chills.

Last edited:

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just finished binge watching this, and my God, I absolutely adored it. Never read the comics nor do I know a thing about it, but the show was honestly one of the best I've seen in a long while. Gripping from beginning to end, with characters with personality and entertainment value for days.

The corporate political twist on the whole super hero thing was both fascinating and enthralling, and the whole detective elements were the cherries on top. I also loved how insanely threatening and scary it made the super heroes feel, something I've always wanted explored in a greater way, but that most super hero media doesn't explore due to the glitzy, safe, black and white nature of it all. It felt almost like a weird twisted thriller or horror series at times, that's how tense some of the characters (Homelander) made me feel in certain scenes.

Cannot wait for the second season. I just hope they don't fuck it up, because it's going to be hard to top this one.

Last edited:

Kevers

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I really liked it
I'm sad they killed Elizabeth Shue off

I have absolutely no idea what happens in the comics so I'm excited to see where this goes.

Oct 27, 2017
Damn that ending was ruthless.

Spoilers for finale

so Becca totally just wanted to bang a superhero and then dipped to go raise the baby. Poor Butcher Holy shit. That was meeeeean

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished, watched an episode a day so I could last longer unlike some supes (HA HA). Goddamn I haven't been this pumped for a TV show since The Expanse probably, loved every episode and every actor and every scene. Rarely nowadays I am in awe of how well written a show is, but goddamn this was just amazing. So much tension and character build up. Homelander easily rockets up to top 5 TV villains of all time. Also once again shows how much better TV can be than movies, while I liked Brightburn this just blows that one away.

If this is the new level of quality amazon is aiming for in new shows I am 100% in, can't wait for more.

Oct 26, 2017
It seemed like he wasn't into the dolphin action. They are a bit rapey afterall.

With regards to the very last episode of season 1:
I wonder if Becca is that shapeshifter and they use him in that way because they realised Homelander is an immense fuckup due to how he was raised and wanted to fix that problem. Otherwise I don't know how they're going to maintain the hate that Butcher has for the Homelander.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Has Kripke said how many seasons he's planned for? His five-season arc for Supernatural was executed to perfection (most monster-of-the-week stuff aside, naturally, but that's hardly his fault).

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Comic spoiler

Did I read they are going to do Herogasm? Surely not. How can they do that without it being straight-up porn?

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even notice that. She just seemed
more shocked to see Billy, and not in a "Oh god I missed you I'm glad you're here" kinda way, than she was shocked to see Homelander.
I imagine that she is feeling not a small amount of shame and guilt over how she had to abandon him, despite it not being her fault.