• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Apr 25, 2020
Tonight I am re-watching Steven Spielberg being interviewed by James Lipton on Inside the Actors Studio, and as they were going through and discussing all of his many fantastic films (and straight up masterpieces like Close Encounters and Schindler's List), the final film they discussed was Saving Private Ryan, another one in the "masterpiece" category for my part, and as they were talking about it, the memory came flooding back like a bullet to the gut that SPR was denied the Best Picture Oscar that year in favor of Shakespeare in Love......I mean really, are you kidding me with this? The movies Wikipedia page even has a note that states that surveyed after the fact, a majority of Academy members regret the decision and would give it to SPR if the vote was done again today:

The film was nominated for eleven Academy Awards at the 71st annual ceremony, including Best Picture, Best Actor for Tom Hanks, and Best Original Screenplay. The film won five of these, including Best Cinematography, Best Sound, Best Sound Effects Editing, Best Film Editing, and Best Director for Spielberg, his second win in that category. In a controversial upset, the film lost the Best Picture award to Shakespeare in Love, joining a small number to have won the Best Director award without also winning Best Picture.[77][78] The Academy's decision not to award the film with the Best Picture Oscar has resulted in much criticism in recent years, with many considering it as one of the biggest snubs in the ceremony's history.[79][80] In a poll in 2015, Academy members indicated that, given a second chance, they would award the Oscar for Best Picture to Saving Private Ryan.[81] As of 2021, it is one of only three films to ever win the PGA, DGA, Golden Globe, and Best Director Oscar while not winning Best Picture at the Academy Awards, the others being Brokeback Mountain and La La Land.

Name and discuss your own picks for "wtf were they thinking?" in regards to anything; movie, song, album, TV series, whatever it might be.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
How the Hell did the Basil Poledoris' incredible film score for Conan The Barbarian not win for Best Score at the Oscars?

amusix

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
No big discussion....but Brokeback Mountain, Good Night and Good Luck, Munich.....and it was Crash that won....

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Green Book winning a couple years ago. That even got referenced in Rutherford Falls.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Tonight I am re-watching Steven Spielberg being interviewed by James Lipton on Inside the Actors Studio, and as they were going through and discussing all of his many fantastic films (and straight up masterpieces like Close Encounters and Schindler's List), the final film they discussed was Saving Private Ryan, another one in the "masterpiece" category for my part, and as they were talking about it, the memory came flooding back like a bullet to the gut that SPR was denied the Best Picture Oscar that year in favor of Shakespeare in Love......I mean really, are you kidding me with this? The movies Wikipedia page even has a note that states that surveyed after the fact, a majority of Academy members regret the decision and would give it to SPR if the vote was done again today:

Name and discuss your own picks for "wtf were they thinking?" in regards to anything; movie, song, album, TV series, whatever it might be.
Any English costume drama turns the Academy members into drooling zombies and they step over themselves to praise it. That or any movie that deals with Classic Hollywood.

Oh as for the topic, Crash winning over Broke back Mountain or Good Night and Good Luck is a travesty.

Garou

Oct 25, 2017
Tom Hanks should have won Best Actor for Cast Away in 2001 instead of Crowe for Gladiator. He was screwed because the Academy likely thought that having 3 Best Actor awards would be too much.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
I'm still heated that Jake Gyllenhaal wasn't even nominated at the Oscars for Nightcrawler.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Toni Collette not being nominated for a best actress award for Hereditary because the Academy doesn't recognize horror films.

Jul 4, 2019
Green Book winning over Roma and The Favourite
Crash winning anything
Naomi Watts snubbed for Mulholland Drive
Toni Collette snubbed for Hereditary
Nothing for It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and The Wire

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Green Book winning Best Picture
Kendrick Lamar's TPAB losing Album of the Year to 1989

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Oct 25, 2017
yeah the wire not getting anything at all is pretty crazy even if most of its run coincided with the sopranos and lot of other golden age tv. Feels like they gave Generation Kill (which was great too don't get me wrong) three emmys because they recognised they fucked up.

Oct 25, 2017
Going with a classic.
Metallica's And Justice for All losing to Jethro Tull's Crest of a Knave in the very first Heavy Metal Grammy. They made up for it by giving Metallica the next three Metal Grammies, even if they didn't deserve one (how the hell did a Queen cover beat out Painkiller and Rust in Peace?)

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Crash winning anything except a razzie is and always will be the worst Oscar moment. Interstellar not winning best score. Kings Speech over The Social Network.

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
Going with a classic.
Metallica's And Justice for All losing to Jethro Tull's Crest of a Knave in the very first Heavy Metal Grammy. They made up for it by giving Metallica the next three Metal Grammies, even if they didn't deserve one (how the hell did a Queen cover beat out Painkiller and Rust in Peace?)
There it is. I get that it was more of a lifetime achievement award for Jethro Tull, but just give them a lifetime achievement award then.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Alfred Hitchcock never won best director at the Oscars.

He was nominated three times. Rebecca won best picture.

But he never won best director.

More recently, Daniel Day Lewis winning the best actor Oscar for Lincoln over Denzel Washington for Flight still drives me batty. You can't even use the 'well Denzel has won before' excuse. But hey, 'white people solve racism' seems to be a sure fire win this last decade or so.

karmaforgotme

Oct 27, 2017
Knoxville, TN
Going with a classic.

I am old enough that I actually watched that Grammys. I was a big Metallica fan at the time, and I was like finally my favorite band is getting the respect it deserves. I am not sure who was let down more, my teenage self or the band.

The whole is just stone cold crazy.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
Going with a classic.

The classics never go out of style. I agree though, especially with the second part of your post. Just wtf

How the Hell did the Basil Poledoris' incredible film score for Conan The Barbarian not win for Best Score at the Oscars?

Had to look this up and yeah, what the fuck is up with that. /boggle

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
I don't watch award shows but just through cultural osmosis and this forum the Weeknd not getting nominated for whatever the big music award was a huge snub.

Ray Charles didn't win album of the year until after he died. Imagine being a legend and snubbed for decades only to get a posthumous consolation prize for a so so gimmick album.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
The near total snub of Twin Peaks: The Return from the Emmys still irks me. Kyle MacLaughlin should've at least gotten a "best actor in a limited series" nod.

I think the awards shows largely dislike experimental stuff, even when it's great.
I was expecting that after the complete snub they got first time around, and after the snubs Hannibal got.

Darkgable

Nov 3, 2017
That Brit Awards bullshit when they nominated Craig David for 7 awards and he didn't walk out with a single win. Chiefs were so embarrassed that they had to invent a new 'Urban' category just to save face...